Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or does Spider-man do a lot of damage? He does about double what my Captain America and Iron Man do(all at 3 stars). On top of that he has a CC move and a move where he's invincible during it. His AoE isn't great though(again, at 3 stars).

EDIT: Are some characters not available at 1 or 2 stars for some reason?

Speed characters tend to be crazy with single damage and mobility, while lacking in safe AoE damage and survivability/sustainability. Blasters have annoying CC and ways to derp out of engagements, and Power characters lol through story missions and try to rushdown heroes. At least that's the idea.

If you like spidey but want more AoE power, his black suit lets him web more enemies at once, while his glowing suit gives him lightning damage and an AoE stomp at the end of his web swing (an element damage benefits from slot 5 gear, which can give up to 50% more damage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if you like spidey but want more AoE, try Silk or Gwen because they turn into weird blenders and murder everything

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Neurolimal posted:

Speed characters tend to be crazy with single damage and mobility, while lacking in safe AoE damage and survivability/sustainability. Blasters have annoying CC and ways to derp out of engagements, and Power characters lol through story missions and try to rushdown heroes. At least that's the idea.

If you like spidey but want more AoE power, his black suit lets him web more enemies at once, while his glowing suit gives him lightning damage and an AoE stomp at the end of his web swing (an element damage benefits from slot 5 gear, which can give up to 50% more damage).

Actually the slot 5 damage and his damage don't interact IIRC.

Just Like nicos and slot 5 gear don't either.

It has to be listed underneath the skills name to get a boost, (like loki's cold skill, or venoms mind skill)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This game came out after the Mutant embargo marvel put on games right? So we'll never see any X-men or Deadpool?

Ugh, the lasers in Doc Ock's stage drive me nuts, if you're in a move that locks you in place they have enough time to target and kill you and will probably kill the next character upon spawning.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

twistedmentat posted:

This game came out after the Mutant embargo marvel put on games right? So we'll never see any X-men or Deadpool?

Ugh, the lasers in Doc Ock's stage drive me nuts, if you're in a move that locks you in place they have enough time to target and kill you and will probably kill the next character upon spawning.

Or Fantastic Four stuff!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Hootington posted:

Or Fantastic Four stuff!

I can stand losing Demon Waifu and Southern Waifu, but no Doomfu or Clobberfu is just criminal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why did they put a ban on X-men in games?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They don't own the movie rights, so why should they spend any time promoting the characters?

AFAIK this is not an officially-stated directive, but it's certainly noticeable. On the comic book side the X-men are also currently getting the shaft and mutants are all sterile while there's a new Inhuman squad that features an elderly mentor in a wheelchair training newly emergent kids to understand their powers better. Writing is maybe on the wall.

E: Oh and the X-men school is literally in Limbo in the comics, which sort of says it all.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 12, 2016

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

RatHat posted:

Why did they put a ban on X-men in games?

Fox is never ever giving those back. Ever. Sony at least negotiated a deal for Marvel to use Spider-man. Fox won't do it.

There was a rumor that Fox and Marvel had made a trade for the Fantastic 4 characters, but that didn't turn out to be true. And there's so much revenue in those movies now. There's no way comic book revenue is even in the same league.

Also, those Fox movies are in direct competition with the movies Marvel is making. Why do free advertising for another movie studio when your own profits from those characters are basically a rounding error compared to your movie profits?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fox never owned the game rights to them though(Marvel did sell the game rights to Namor years ago when they were broke). After googling and reading a few articles on it it appears to be pure spite at this point, just to deny advertising for Fox and promote their own movies/characters. Well, at least they got Spider-man back.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

RatHat posted:

Fox never owned the game rights to them though(Marvel did sell the game rights to Namor years ago when they were broke). After googling and reading a few articles on it it appears to be pure spite at this point, just to promote their own movies and deny advertising for Fox's.

Bingo.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The developer of Marvel Heroes apparently got in trouble with Marvel for running a Fantastic Four promo that coincided with the release of the latest film. The promo didn't even mention the film in any way; it essentially was nothing but a sale on the four FF characters and their costumes. They still caught poo poo for it.

It all seems kind of petty, but that's big business for you I suppose. :shrug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah speaking of that I guess Marvel Heroes is still allowed to make X-men characters since their contract came before the ban started?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

RatHat posted:

Yeah speaking of that I guess Marvel Heroes is still allowed to make X-men characters since their contract came before the ban started?

Up until Marvel Heroes 2 gets launched so they can take all of those characters out, sure. Same with how they're doing Avengers Alliance 2 so they can dump MAA1 and the unwanted characters.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RatHat posted:

(Marvel did sell the game rights to Namor years ago when they were broke).

We're so close and yet so far from recreating SEGA's Spider-Man arcade game.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The rumour is that one particular guy named Isaac Perlmutter really hates whoever Fox sent to deal with him and the next day he was taking all the FF and X-Men art off the walls.

Even if that's not true, Marvel would be crazy not to do this. The X-Men are doing fine, but Fox is losing so much money making FF movies. They will never make money on them and will eventually admit it to themselves and sell the rights to someone.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

That game ruled, its the one where you fight a Venom as tall as a building, right?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

punchymcpunch posted:

The rumour is that one particular guy named Isaac Perlmutter really hates whoever Fox sent to deal with him and the next day he was taking all the FF and X-Men art off the walls.

Even if that's not true, Marvel would be crazy not to do this. The X-Men are doing fine, but Fox is losing so much money making FF movies. They will never make money on them and will eventually admit it to themselves and sell the rights to someone.

Isaac Perlmutter is fairly insane from all accounts.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I think he ran a toy company that bought Marvel a couple of bankruptcies ago. He invented the Giant Tom Hanks Keyboard maybe.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe I am this into a phone game. I just applied to Doctor Goons as Badger Badger.

Currently running with Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Jessica Jones, but Gwen is at four stars and kicking so much rear end that I never switch off her.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

Lego Avengers has released a good chunk of their roster. This'll be the newest Marvel game released so you can get an idea of their plethora of NONMUTANT SWINE:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Lego Avengers has released a good chunk of their roster. This'll be the newest Marvel game released so you can get an idea of their plethora of NONMUTANT SWINE:

Its really weird that they have Carol as Ms Marvel not Captain Marvel. I have seen that image before, But not from the official site, and the official list for the game has her as Captain Marvel.

Anyways, what are costumes that a worth getting? I have Ms Marvel and Witch Hunter Angela, but i'm debating Iron patriot, the AoS versions of Mockingbird and Quake or Black Vortex Gamora.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh how is All Defense so hard to roll when there are only 5 possible rolls?!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Lou Ferrigno :monocle:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Anyways, what are costumes that a worth getting? I have Ms Marvel and Witch Hunter Angela, but i'm debating Iron patriot, the AoS versions of Mockingbird and Quake or Black Vortex Gamora.

Gamora is of questionable value but it looks really rad, she has a Donna Troy costume fabric lining to her cloak.
Mockingbird's costume lets her interrupt enemy moves so it's great.
Both Schwarma Sheen costumes are the same I think, and they're pretty solid. He gets a stunpunch.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

RatHat posted:

Ugh how is All Defense so hard to roll when there are only 5 possible rolls?!

I would guess the weights aren't even. Just a guess though.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone else find some Arena teams and you just HAVE to fight them? IE its some new team combo you've not stumbled across before
So far this has not bit me in the rear end yet in terms of giving me a defeat but I do find it interesting what teams people run

Slot 5 questions.
Lightning goes to lightning people and so on in terms of damage
But Who wants recovery rate?
What do you guys shoot for when it comes to someone like Silk, Nico or Cap'n Merica?

I went w/ Crit Rate for Silk so she is 58.12% Crit but would dodge be a better stat to work on?
I gave Crit Damage to cap'n cause I was bored and no other idea popped in my head but the base Crit rate kinda sucks. Would ignore Dodge be better to beat the living poo poo out of speed characters to go with the blocking goodness?

Looks like I'm finally getting to the point where I would like to minmax a little more and would enjoy any things to read up on how I can fine tune my various Arena/top tier people

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I actually like the idea of separate universes for mutants and the rest of the Marvel universe, but for games I want them all dammit.

So Fox and Marvel, trade around so Fox gets TV rights and whatever else they want for X-Men and Marvel gets FF back then we can all play nice again.

I think I need to go play Marvel Heroes for my Cyclops fix.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Bird Law posted:

I actually like the idea of separate universes for mutants and the rest of the Marvel universe, but for games I want them all dammit.

So Fox and Marvel, trade around so Fox gets TV rights and whatever else they want for X-Men and Marvel gets FF back then we can all play nice again.

I think I need to go play Marvel Heroes for my Cyclops fix.

gently caress the FF, just get Doom and Surfer free and call it a day.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah seriously. I don't care about the FF themselves but Surfer and Doom are very missed.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

punchymcpunch posted:

Wait is that the guy who runs the studio and refuses to pay for anything but the bare minimum of anything?

e: yup the CEO guy

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 12, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wait is that the guy who runs the studio and refuses to pay for anything but the bare minimum of anything?

e: yup the CEO guy

As of September he's no longer Top Dawg at Marvel, which is a super good thing; his justification for replacing War Machine's actor was "nobody will notice, black people look the same anyways". And responsible for Black Widow having no toys at film release (which is extra heinous as a toy company CEO, since the same debacle has happened with Mattel quite a few times).

He was also the head of Marvel's "Creative Council", which supervised film changes, tone, plot, etcetera. Joss Whedon, Kevin Fiege, Edgar Wright, and Downey have poo poo-talked them before. That got dismantled as well.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm sad this game missed the split but Marvel Puzzle Quest didn't.

But its never too late to add characters like Wiccan from the young avengers and other runaways and such.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

As of September he's no longer Top Dawg at Marvel, which is a super good thing

Marvel's structure is dumb and confusing, but I think he's the head of Marvel's Everything-But-The-Movies division and Kevin Feige is head of Marvel Studios, and they're feuding because of course they are, and nobody gives a poo poo about anything but the movies because they make all of the profit.

Also: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/09/marvel-studios-ike-perlmutter-kevin-feige

tl;dr He didn't want to be noticed at the Iron Man premiere so he wore a Grouch Marx mask.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh gold is such a huge bottleneck in this game. Also apparently the Marvel universe is on the gold standard.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SectumSempra posted:

I'm sad this game missed the split but Marvel Puzzle Quest didn't.

But its never too late to add characters like Wiccan from the young avengers and other runaways and such.

I'm actually finding it refreshing after the endless stream of Wolverine variants in MPQ. The X-Men are cool and all, but I'm having fun playing characters like Kingpin, Doc Ock, Silk, Ultron and War Machine for a change.

The lack of Doctor Doom is a bummer though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it worth putting a web resist or whatever on my Giant-man just to counter Spidermen/Spiderwomen?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah it's not a bad idea. I see lots of web-resistant Spider-Persons in timeline.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

8 bios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I bought some stuff and I'm VIP level 3 now, and the healing when you switch characters is ridiculous(even if it's only 15% at level 3). At VIP level 15 it's 50% :v:. Thankfully it's not active in PvP. The 5 clear tickets per day is really nice as well.

EDIT: VIP level 15 also gets a ridiculous +25 seconds on teamup duration.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 13, 2016

• Locked thread