Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Records don't cost that much more than CDs usually. If the alternative is not buying music than I guess it's expensive. Or if you spend hundreds of dollars on hilarious records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I drop like at most $100 every couple of months on records. AND if you're a smart shopper you can make it; recently picked up some boxsets that go for like $50+ for like ~$20-$30

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Record collecting can be expensive. It depends entirely on what you're buying. A couple months ago, I bought an LP for $45, which discogs list median price of $83 (low, $54). That might be a "smart" buy, but it's still expensive, especially when you start getting into having thousands of records in your collection.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Record collecting can be expensive. It depends entirely on what you're buying. A couple months ago, I bought an LP for $45, which discogs list median price of $83 (low, $54). That might be a "smart" buy, but it's still expensive, especially when you start getting into having thousands of records in your collection.

What was it?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I got the Machinarium and Botanicula soundtracks. They come with art prints and they're pretty neat:

Here's some download codes:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What was it?

Wire - Pink Flag

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Totally worth it.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
vinyl swap yesterday- traded for some Ornette Coleman, James Blood, Stanley Clarke, Martha and the Muffins, Blue Oyster Cult and Bonzo Dog Band. A buddy who plays black metal brought some 7"s and tapes. I ended up paying him cash but he gave me a deal because last time I comped him my copy of Lost Boys OST he wanted but didn't have any money.

Portal x2
Tangerine Dream
Morbid Angel
Cave Ritual
Carcass(tape)
COC(tape)

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Elrobot posted:

vinyl swap yesterday- traded for some Ornette Coleman, James Blood, Stanley Clarke, Martha and the Muffins, Blue Oyster Cult and Bonzo Dog Band. A buddy who plays black metal brought some 7"s and tapes. I ended up paying him cash but he gave me a deal because last time I comped him my copy of Lost Boys OST he wanted but didn't have any money.

Portal x2
Tangerine Dream
Morbid Angel
Cave Ritual
Carcass(tape)
COC(tape)

good poo poo m8

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pingiivi posted:

I got the Machinarium and Botanicula soundtracks. They come with art prints and they're pretty neat:

This looks really loving cool. I love that color.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Wow. I paid less than $20.00 for a new pressing about... twelve years ago. Never mind.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Picked up the new Bowie lp today. Packaging is very cool and well put together with lots of black embossed letters on black backgrounds.

http://imgur.com/a/3mDU2

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Mine comes later this week, I've been hearing incredible things! Tony Visconti has really been talking up the vinyl mastering at the definitive version of the album.

e: Ha, fair enough.
vvv

Millions fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 6, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tony Visconti is also a record exec. I imagine he would say a lot of things to get people to buy physical media.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Well it sounds real good to me either way

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Today is the day you can get the Star Wars soundtracks (I-VI) vinyl box on popmarket for a $15 discount from amazon. I have ordered from there before and would do it again. My finger hovers over the button now. Must ... Resist....

...Also, weird that the clear vinyl version of Blackstar is a barnes and noble exclusive (I remember originally there were pre-orders via davidbowie.com)

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah I got my copy from Bowie's site

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I haven't seen it in person, but from the images the clear vinyl version of Blackstar from Barnes and Noble looks kind of dumb. The album cover is a star-shaped cutaway that reveals the record; given the title of the record and its general sound it makes a lot more sense for that cutaway to be filled with black vinyl.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This is an unfortunate reminder that I've been wanting to get more Bowie in my collection.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Ballz posted:

This is an unfortunate reminder that I've been wanting to get more Bowie in my collection.

Same. Also really fortunate for anyone who was already trying to flip one of those blackstar copies as I can only assume there will be a slight spike in price. My favorite store has a bin of 45s just for him that I'm sure is gonna get wiped out later today (especially if I have anything to say about it)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SeXReX posted:

Same. Also really fortunate for anyone who was already trying to flip one of those blackstar copies as I can only assume there will be a slight spike in price. My favorite store has a bin of 45s just for him that I'm sure is gonna get wiped out later today (especially if I have anything to say about it)

Slight spike is an understatement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVID-BOWIE...CQAAOSw5dNWk46s

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Ballz posted:

Diamond Dogs has been sitting in my collection for a while now, but I have yet to listen to it. I guess now's a good time.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Wronkos posted:

Diamond Dogs has been sitting in my collection for a while now, but I have yet to listen to it. I guess now's a good time.

That album was my introduction to David Bowie. It's probably got my favorite opening line of any album I've ever listened to.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I finally decided to order one of my favorite albums of all time

I also went to KSTARKE Records in Chicago to look around

They had an amazing house selection, but I didn't budget it out unfortunately. Next time I'm there I'll have more.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah mike yeah!!! yeah!!!!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

It's going to be so funny when these go for 50 bucks a year from now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Or you wait another week or so. I ordered from Amazon yesterday.

It's a little sick to see people profiting off of someone's death so brazenly.

But if people paid, then they are just as guilty.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Or you wait another week or so. I ordered from Amazon yesterday.

It's a little sick to see people profiting off of someone's death so brazenly.

But if people paid, then they are just as guilty.

I was actually wondering who is really going to pay 300+ dollars for a brand new mass produced album that just came out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There is a Barnes and Noble near work that I hit up over lunch break. Guy in the music section said that a "gross looking dude" (his words) was waiting for the store to open, and bought every copy they had.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
local shop put a $500 lot of records up and I feel like there's no way that you'd get your money's worth from it https://www.facebook.com/humanheadnyc/photos/a.405824829535461.1073741826.387720674679210/867724530012153/?type=3&theater

maybe those bootlegs are worth a lot? and they've had that Blue Jean 12" for like literally a year so that has to be worth zero

meanwhile Rough Trade is donating all profits from Bowie sales this month to a cancer charity, which is nice http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/1089. Rough Trade NYC retweeted it so I assume the same applies there

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

local shop put a $500 lot of records up and I feel like there's no way that you'd get your money's worth from it https://www.facebook.com/humanheadnyc/photos/a.405824829535461.1073741826.387720674679210/867724530012153/?type=3&theater

maybe those bootlegs are worth a lot? and they've had that Blue Jean 12" for like literally a year so that has to be worth zero

They don't even include Let's Dance? You'd think a record store would have a copy laying around. I think I got mine at Goodwill.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Only the clear version is selling for that much. It's limited to 5000, which isn't that much considering world wide popularity.

No B&N within 200 miles of me had a copy when I checked this morning.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

abraham linksys posted:

obviously they're all first presses and this is a very generous deal and not at all a money grab on a dead man

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

meanwhile Rough Trade is donating all profits from Bowie sales this month to a cancer charity, which is nice http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/1089. Rough Trade NYC retweeted it so I assume the same applies there

There are some good/rare records in there fore sure (especially if the Man Who $old the World isn't a bootleg), but 500 for that lot seems like highway robbery. especially since all the 80s poo poo is dollar bin stuff. The top row and those bootlegs are really the only stuff there that is rare or valuable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

There are some good/rare records in there fore sure (especially if the Man Who $old the World isn't a bootleg), but 500 for that lot seems like highway robbery. especially since all the 80s poo poo is dollar bin stuff. The top row and those bootlegs are really the only stuff there that is rare or valuable.

For 500 bucks, you'd have to be an idiot to buy that set. The records don't look like they're in great condition. The first two albums are alright, but they're not great. I wouldn't be surprised if the Man who $old the World is a boot, and then everything else was at least a moderately popular album or looks like it isn't in the best condition.

I don't see 500 dollars worth there. Especially when for half that, you can get the Five Years boxset. Sure, it's all represses, and it features the 2003 stereo remix of Ziggy Stardust that exists for some reason, but it's at least a quality product.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

For 500 bucks, you'd have to be an idiot to buy that set. The records don't look like they're in great condition. The first two albums are alright, but they're not great. I wouldn't be surprised if the Man who $old the World is a boot, and then everything else was at least a moderately popular album or looks like it isn't in the best condition.

I don't see 500 dollars worth there. Especially when for half that, you can get the Five Years boxset. Sure, it's all represses, and it features the 2003 stereo remix of Ziggy Stardust that exists for some reason, but it's at least a quality product.

Oh I know, I wasn't even getting in the specifics of that. Just matter of factly saying that assuming those are even copies that are at least VG+ it still isn't worth that much money. And I personally wouldn't bother with his debut album. Space Oddity/Man of Words, Man of Music is alright is pretty good but I wouldn't pay the high premium for a copy of it with the UK title when there are plenty of good copies of the 72ish reissue floating around for cheap. That said, I'd have to assume that anyone who'd actually spend 500 bucks on records would actually know enough about this collection to know that it isn't worth anywhere near that much. And if I may still be pedantic, that copy of Low is clearly a reissue from the 80s.

edit: Oh and as for the five years box set I'm pretty sure it includes the original mix of Ziggy Stardust and that 03 remix is a bonus disc.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 12, 2016

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, it features both. I didn't make that clear. It's just weird that it features both, since the remix is mostly pointless. It's very dry, and given that Ziggy wasn't drowning in reverb, it doesn't really do much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, it features both. I didn't make that clear. It's just weird that it features both, since the remix is mostly pointless. It's very dry, and given that Ziggy wasn't drowning in reverb, it doesn't really do much.

The best feature of the Five Years box set is the inclusion of Santa Monica 72, which is not just an essential David Bowie album but an essential live album as well. It was officially released in a limited edition a few years back, that record now sells for crazy money. I didn't hesitate to buy it when they put that out (and I remember thinking 50 bucks was a bit much for a 2xLP).

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 12, 2016

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

CPL593H posted:

The best feature of the Five Years box set is the inclusion of Santa Monica 72, which is not just an essential David Bowie album but an essential live album as well. It was officially released in a limited edition a few years back, that record now sells for crazy money. I didn't hesitate to buy it when they put that out (and I remember thinking 50 bucks was a bit much for a 2xLP).

My local record shop is going to break apart the box set to sell the albums individually, I've got dibs on Santa Monica :getin:

What's the consensus on the Re:Call material? Worth $20ish a piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Just because you don't like his first release doesn't mean an original Deram s/t UK 1st minty isn't worth like a thousand bucks. This is a good deal imo :
http://www.popsike.com/DAVID-BOWIE-10-metal-ACETATE-on-PYE-1966-I-Dig-Everything-early-rare-/301080704321.html
But really just get Early Years 1964-1966 and Deram Anthology 1966-1968(includes his s/t) on CD or whatever because those releases are rare