Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Steering the ship in warp is half the fun. It feels kinda like skiing - you slalom between nebula, making these wide turns and occasionally slowing down as you get too deep in a gravity well ("uphill") and accelerating as you leave them ("downhill").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Rhymenoserous posted:

You realize that you can steer around bullshit while in warp right? Like you aren't aiming right at your destination, mashing button then being shocked when that asteroid field that was right in front of you pulled you out are you?

The only time I get pulled out of warp is by hostile pirates, and even then a 3 second boost has me already gone again before they can even shoot.

I even got good at skimming by debris belts in warp to see if they had any cargo containers for me to get without stopping.

I try to steer, that usually leads to being "ambushed" by the random bomber 5km away that is no challenge to the ship and just prolongs my travel time to the next mission marker. It isn't fun, it isn't challenging 90% of the time, all it does is make the game tedious. Imaging walking down the street being hounded my pan handlers every 3 feet, that is what it is to travel in this game. Not hard, just annoying.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Space Cadet posted:

I try to steer, that usually leads to being "ambushed" by the random bomber 5km away that is no challenge to the ship and just prolongs my travel time to the next mission marker. It isn't fun, it isn't challenging 90% of the time, all it does is make the game tedious. Imaging walking down the street being hounded my pan handlers every 3 feet, that is what it is to travel in this game. Not hard, just annoying.

Honestly, it sounds like the game just isn't for you, but that's fine (aside from having paid for something you don't enjoy I guess). I quite enjoyed how everything worked, and even in the biggest ship it wasn't too much of a hassle to get going again. The game is reasonably repetitive, and once the carrots run out I can't see myself playing a ton more, but I really enjoyed the music and I found it very relaxing to just truck around through space trading. Steam says I've played 28 hours of it, and that's more than my money's worth, so I'm quite happy.

Does kind of make me want to play Freelancer again though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, you usually pay fourteen bucks for a movie ticket these days, and that's two hours in a room full of rude people. 28 hours of fun is easily worth that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Bought the game for the ps4. named my ship The Rusty Eager and have been mostly doing missions and loving up pirates. its pretty fun. the controls and the ship building takes some time to get used to but its fun so far.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I wanna second the Icarus ownage. I'm digging it as a minor upgrade to the mastodon, and its not very expensive. You can get one by just doing 5 missions for rank 2 at a merchant base and its real pretty to boot. I also stop and do a scan the first time i hit a nebula or asteroid/ice field because ive found alien artifacts just floating there and thats a free 30k or so.

Edit: nevermind the merchant bit, just realized theyre at a criminal station :v:

OxMan fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 7, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OxMan posted:

I wanna second the Icarus ownage. I'm digging it as a minor upgrade to the mastodon, and its not very expensive. You can get one by just doing 5 missions for rank 2 at a merchant base and its real pretty to boot. I also stop and do a scan the first time i hit a nebula or asteroid/ice field because ive found alien artifacts just floating there and thats a free 30k or so.
It handles like a Hammerhead + so I used it right up until I got in a barracuda. The Icarus is a great little ship.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I looted some Mk6 Electro-Bolts from a special crate and they seem... Okay? I mean other than being super good against deflectors they seem eh. Really fun to get up close and hammer the fire button though, they're decently quick at melting capships.

Honestly, i want someone to mod in fuckoff huge space howitzers and shotguns for broadsides. There's something appealing about the idea of flying up next to an enemy ship and letting loose this massive blast of shrapnel and essentially doing a large scale drive-by :v:

That, or hanging way back and lobbing massive explosive rounds from a good distance with loud, crashing reports for that true classic warship feel.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

T1g4h posted:

I looted some Mk6 Electro-Bolts from a special crate and they seem... Okay? I mean other than being super good against deflectors they seem eh. Really fun to get up close and hammer the fire button though, they're decently quick at melting capships.

Honestly, i want someone to mod in fuckoff huge space howitzers and shotguns for broadsides. There's something appealing about the idea of flying up next to an enemy ship and letting loose this massive blast of shrapnel and essentially doing a large scale drive-by :v:

That, or hanging way back and lobbing massive explosive rounds from a good distance with loud, crashing reports for that true classic warship feel.

:agreed: Projectiles are just better.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, that's what I was saying a while back too.
GotLag said he'd try to mod those in if someone provides him with some sound files, so get to hunting I guess? :v:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I wish you were able to pull up the map while in a station. It would be cool to see exactly where the missions I accept were going to be before I accept them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nordick posted:

Yeah, that's what I was saying a while back too.
GotLag said he'd try to mod those in if someone provides him with some sound files, so get to hunting I guess? :v:
I'll certainly try. From the small bit of modding I did before it looked straightforward, although I didn't actually check if broadside projectiles can be made explosive.

Rabble posted:

I wish you were able to pull up the map while in a station. It would be cool to see exactly where the missions I accept were going to be before I accept them.
The UI really needs work, it's what's holding this game back from being truly great.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn pirates in this game are stupid. Finally saved up enough for my Blackgate, got Mk6 Shields / Armor, Mk6 Neutrons, and a full compliment of Mk5 Mining lasers / Pulse turrets and still they hail me and threaten me. You idiots just saw me rip apart an entire Korian fleet and i can wipe most of your ships out in one salvo, gently caress off already :v:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Got around to doing three things tonight; got in a minotaur, then finished the main story, then got a Blackgate. I ended up going with mostly pulse turrets because mk 6 ones are pretty cheap, and my broadsides melt just about anything anyway. Its been fun, but I'm not sure what else I can do since nothing really presents a challenge at this stage (except massive wings of gunships, but I'll get EMP flack the next time I see it and that will be that). Its been a really fun game, and I'm glad I picked it up.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm really struggling to make money via trading. I try and buy stuff below market average line, watch out for station having sales and such, but no one pays above average so I only make a fraction of what I could on goods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm really struggling to make money via trading. I try and buy stuff below market average line, watch out for station having sales and such, but no one pays above average so I only make a fraction of what I could on goods.
War-profiteering can be really nice. Munitions, robots, and biowaste all sell for way above market value. And Intellectual Property sells way above during a tech boom, iirc, and they're more common. But realistically, the best way I found to make money was merchant guild drops. Plus, blockade-running during them is a lot more fun that space trading.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This game really needs an expansion. I love it, but I feel like I've done what there is to be done. I would totally pay for expansion which cleans a few things up and adds more ships/gear/missions. Would be great for another play-through.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Moochewmoo posted:

Trading isn't a great way to make money. Run missions instead -- dead drops and blockade runs don't require you to have a particularly beefy ship (speed helps!) and you'll make money about ten times faster.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Okay, I'll take myself out of the starter system and give it a go. Also it seems like turrets do more of my heavy lifting then my broadsides. For instance a broadside with long range and 2 second recharge is enough to make me just kinda tickle other ships.

Does it just change as I get more ports? Am I always gonna use hit scan laser turrets and anti missile flak?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Broadsides, like all equipment, come in mk1-6 and get much stronger than the starting system crap. And yes Broadside weapons scale with your ship's broadside ports. Secondaries also scale that way both in oomph as well as higher ammo capacity per port.
And some weapons scale in more than just raw damage at higher mks. mining lasers get extra range and pulses get higher projectile velocity, for example.

Finally no, you aren't forced to use the same type of junk the whole game. Remember: equipment sells for the same amount of spacedollars as you buy it for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay, I'll take myself out of the starter system and give it a go. Also it seems like turrets do more of my heavy lifting then my broadsides. For instance a broadside with long range and 2 second recharge is enough to make me just kinda tickle other ships.

Does it just change as I get more ports? Am I always gonna use hit scan laser turrets and anti missile flak?
I had the same concerns early on. Get yourself an Icarus: You'll get more turrets and more broadsides, so your main guns will pack a much bigger punch. Once you get to something with 6 broadsides (Sturvile!), they really start carrying their weight and kicking rear end, but even the jump to the Icarus' 4 is good. If you're friendly to the pirates you could also get yourself a Hellion which looks like a kickass early ship. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and it was a really good progression. Hammerhead -> Icarus is a great transition. Seriously, go to the merchant's guild, join it, and then do guild drop missions until you can afford one. And get out of the first system asap. As for turrets, early on mining lasers steal the show because you're basically flying a super-fast ship, so closing in and letting them carve things up for you works well. As you get bigger, you start wanting to stand off a bit more and things like pulse lasers and beam turrets start becoming more attractive.

RIght now I've got (mk3 everything) a Sturvile with neutron beam broadsides, 3 pulse turrets, 1 beam turret, and a shieldbuster set to target-only. Really fast, not so tough, but can kill things pretty well too. With the shieldbuster, the weak shield damage of the beams isn't a problem, and the pulse turrets do a good job of killing fighters that I didn't cull with the neutron beams. I also hired some merc named Steve that seems to do pretty well for himself in that regard too.

e; With null-grav boosters and the EMP shielding, I can basically outrun everything even if they hit me with Leech rounds. gently caress it, I ain't dying. The only thing I struggle with is the merc defense missions but only because my target often dies first.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 10, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moochewmoo posted:

The non-laser broadsides don't have to be fully-charged, they can fire pretty much as fast as you can click (but with abysmal accuracy). Get close and spam to melt enemy ships, if you've got the shields for it. This is of course more effective in ships with more broadside ports.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

The non-laser broadsides don't have to be fully-charged, they can fire pretty much as fast as you can click (but with abysmal accuracy). Get close and spam to melt enemy ships, if you've got the shields for it. This is of course more effective in ships with more broadside ports.

Yeah, I noticed that but they do pretty low damage. Unless I'm mistaken. I totally love this game though. Feels very freelancer-y. In the best ways.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They don't appear to be losing damage, and if they are any decrease is more than offset by the rate at which you can put them out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm new to this (on PS4) just a couple hours in, finally sort of "getting it"

Ive just managed to get about 47k total. Should I be jumping on that Mastodon ship or holding out for something more better that still can be earned in a reasonable amount of time?

Advice?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spend all your equipment money all the time, there's no depreciation on anything so if you don't like it you can go trade in to what you had, or quickly move to better things.

But also make sure you have money left over to fill all the turret slots after an upgrade, or you will just end up with a worse ship overall. Also keep in mind that in general higher Mk. gear is more important than bigger hulls. Better gear is a straight numerical advantage, while different hulls are more akin to a strategy shift, hopefully to something you prefer over the last one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just got a Sturville and my life is now complete

A friend of mine kept sending me steam messages and I paused and had to reply with "hey uh let me get back to you I'm soloing a pair of huge pirate ships" and life was good, because I did. I don't know if they were dreads or not but they were big and I was not, but they did not appreciate my neutron beams.

Now I'm just constantly doing merchant guild delivery missions to get that sweet rank 6 cargo expander. I guess I should probably do some merc guild missions to unlock the Minotaur for later, not like I can afford it for a while.

Question though - where's a good place or strategy to get special weapon drops? I got a Badger missile turret and thought it was ... ehhhh? I might change my mind if I had five of them or something though. Also I want those cool lasers.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Psion posted:

Question though - where's a good place or strategy to get special weapon drops? I got a Badger missile turret and thought it was ... ehhhh? I might change my mind if I had five of them or something though. Also I want those cool lasers.

'Pirate Lords' (notated on the system map by a pirate-ey skull icon) always drop a piece of gear. It's not gauranteed to be a 'special' one, but it's probably your best bet is you're actively trying to hunt down gear you can't buy.

I don't remember if you have to check a bar mesage board before they'll show on the map, though.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

They randomly spawn and when they reach their target station gently caress off forever. Well pirate Lords have a much shorter duration than other events which clog up a systems 5 active event limit, making them even rarer.

I got most of my special crap by looking though all junk/minefields in higher level systems. Generally only danger is in the mines but if you keep your shields up to snuff and don't run into too many at once you should be fine.You know you've hit gold if it says "special crate" when you lock it there will be pirate gear inside.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
this dude made a modding guide, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551447922

From my quick look, you can possible only modify the existing stuff, not add anything new?

also it's entirely possible that this was posted before and I just forgot

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure I'm just not that good at this type of game, but here's my beef with Rebel Galaxy after a good 5 hours or so of playing...

*plays missions*
*gets to first Reliquary piece*
*gets absolutely STOMPED by a huge dog pile.*
*follows tooltips, plays side missions to beef up weapons and such...*
*come back to Reliquary piece mission with better hull, shields, better weapons, MORE weapons, and a better understanding of gameplay.*

:\

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Feenix posted:

I'm sure I'm just not that good at this type of game, but here's my beef with Rebel Galaxy after a good 5 hours or so of playing...

*plays missions*
*gets to first Reliquary piece*
*follows tooltips, plays side missions to beef up weapons and such...*
*come back to Reliquary piece mission with better hull, shields, better weapons, MORE weapons, and a better understanding of gameplay.*

:\

I had this issue too and did the same things you did. However, I quickly realized I needed to get rid of fighters as fast as possible, make liberal use of my booster to get in and out of range, then make sure I used my deflector every time a swarm of missiles was about to hit. Beyond that, one thing that definitely helped my combat was setting zoom to 150%. Being able to see a bit more of the action onscreen definitely helped.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Also, what's the discrepancy between your worst gear and best gear tiers? I am 100% certain mission spawns are a higher quality than random spawns, and 99% certain they skew based on your best stuff and/or net worth.

When I thought I'd make my life easier by grabbing MK5 defensive gear early while I had a mix of MK3 and MK4 weapons, my life was a living hell, even taking "very easy" missions in earlier sectors.

As a result I'd take missions in MK4 space where frigates would drop MK6 weaponry. "Hey maybe If I equip this MK6 weapon it will help-ohfuckohfuckOHFUCK"

Once I just sold that MK6 pulse turret (Again, dropped by 'Very easy' mission enemies in 'low threat' sector that sold mk4 tops) to help fund evening out my gear to the same tier, the game became super easy again despite taking "Hard" mission in MK6 space with mostly MK5 gear.

To help determine if your getting skewed missions and need to even out your gear, look for the biggest ships you can find randomly spawning in space and see how fighting them turns out compared to what missions are doing to you. (You can literally go back to the starter sector later, and last I was playing missions would still spawn dreadnaughts once you hit the point they show up).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 13, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Feenix posted:

That mission I found to be one of the more challenging ones on the main plot. I ducked away for a quick upgrade and still had to play it pretty conservatively.

Section Z posted:

I am 100% certain mission spawns are a higher quality than random spawns, and 99% certain they skew based on your best stuff and/or net worth.
Mission spawns can totally be a higher quality than the system they're spawning into, that's for sure. If you take a hard mission in the 5-6 system that takes you to a much easier 3-4 system to fight stuff, the mission ships are gonna be the 5-6 level. I very much doubt mission npcs are statistically better than the equivalent random spawns. There are just more enemies in a combat mission than anything but the biggest random encounter (particularly the quantity of fighters).

And yes mission difficulty adjusts to quality of gear and ship you have, I think combined with the system mk level you are in, but AFAIK not from net worth. I have a suspicion that merc & merchant seem to have more variability than the rest -- I've gotten super-hard missions missions with 100k payouts from them in a system where the norm was still 20-30k.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I took the secondary that spews out flak to take out missiles. When I get into combat I spam the poo poo out of that and it takes care of about 80% of the missiles shot at me.

Take care of the small poo poo first, fighters will come at you so stay out of range of the big guys until the smaller ones are dealt with.

The closer you are to an enemy the less you have to wait for your broadsides to "aim". I'll usually snuggle up against a large ship and just quickspam my broadsides at "melee" range.

Note that I'm in a frigate with 7 broadsides and 4 turrets. Eventually I'll get up to the bigger ships and my tactics might change.

----

I wish there were options for customizing your ship. Custom Paint Jobs and pieces of flair.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rabble posted:

The closer you are to an enemy the less you have to wait for your broadsides to "aim". I'll usually snuggle up against a large ship and just quickspam my broadsides at "melee" range.

Note that I'm in a frigate with 7 broadsides and 4 turrets. Eventually I'll get up to the bigger ships and my tactics might change.

I'm finding it really fun to pull up behind the big capital ships in my Barracuda and just hammer them with my broadsides. Most of them don't have much in the way of rear-firing weapons, and being behind them completely neuters their ability to broadside me.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Been playing this (about 7 hours in). I could see a world of opportunity with this game for modding (steam workshop), but it seems thats never going to (officially) happen. Bummer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This Reliquary Piece mission is going to single-handedly get me to quit Rebel Galaxy. It's just such a big "gently caress you".

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm finding it really fun to pull up behind the big capital ships in my Barracuda and just hammer them with my broadsides. Most of them don't have much in the way of rear-firing weapons, and being behind them completely neuters their ability to broadside me.

My fast ship strat has been running away until the fighters are separated from the cap ships, taking them down, then rushing to the behind of each cap ship and ramming them in the butt with ramming deflectors, turn, mash broadsides into butt until deflectors are recharged, repeat. It takes them down very fast and you can always break away and reposition if another cap ship comes around to their friends butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

This Reliquary Piece mission is going to single-handedly get me to quit Rebel Galaxy. It's just such a big "gently caress you".

Nothing in the game is very hard, you can just boost out of range of anything and pick it off at your leisure, just don't buy the slower brick ships until you have maxed out your gear. (The Arcturus? The triangle quasi star destroyer DD is a trap)

• Locked thread