Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

Sarah is just an extension of the strip's general principle of handing the main characters anything they want and a bunch of things they didn't think to ask for without needing to lift a finger. It's just creepier because she's a child, so her attitude of limitless entitlement seems off.
Yeah.

Also, when Rex and June receive their share of unearned and unbounded praise (which they do), it's not really for any particular quality they have or anything unusually great that they've done. Mostly it's for doing things that are fairly basic, like being a doctor who performs CPR on a dying guy, or showing some vague degree of sympathy to one of their friends. We don't see any reason why Rex and June are supposed to be so wonderful, so it just blends in with the general background of inexplicably expensive gifts and unwarranted confidences.

With Sarah, though, we have metrics to compare her to. Everyone's constantly emphasizing how much more special she is than anyone else in the whole world. She's smarter than other kids! She's more talented than other kids! She's wiser than other kids! She's going to be god-emperor of the world! Everyone shall dedicate their very lives to adoring and serving her, forever! Which just reeks of bullshit, naturally, triggering a visceral dislike of her.

The thing is, I suspect that the writer is just accidentally making all of these stories about Sarah the Great and her Sense of All-Encompassing Entitlement. Most likely what he meant to be writing was how Sarah is just another wonderful reward for Rex and June. They're rich white professionals, of course their child is the best, they deserve the best child. She's their trophy for being amazing upper-middle-class suburban heroes: only bad people have ordinary kids. Weirdly, this might be one of the places where "Tell, don't show" would've been the better course to take -- having Rex and/or June blather on about their (unseen and unheard) darling daughter and how gifted she is and how proud they are would seem less off-putting than trying to actually convince us that Sarah is so fuckin' amazing. I mean, at least then nobody would feel weird about how much hate they feel, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Making fun of someone for not being tech-savvy enough in his webcomic he printed out instead of sending a link or sharing it on facebook or some poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The other thing is Rex and June are drawn in a pleasant way. Rex has this sort of derpy, eyes too far apart charm to him, and June is a smiling happy lady.

Sarah looks like the loving spawn of some sort of creepy middle management demon. Like, if there was a Hellish Dilbert, and this Helbert's boss had a kid, it would be that loving thing. It just makes you shudder when you scroll past. You don't mind when Rex gets something, because he's like a doctor puppy or something, tongue all slobbering out. I get a yacht yay yacht! Sarah you're wondering why they aren't pushing it out the window immediately.

Dragonwagon posted:

Making fun of someone for not being tech-savvy enough in his webcomic he printed out instead of sending a link or sharing it on facebook or some poo poo.
I honestly wonder about the authorial intent of Intelligent Life more than is probably healthy, but his best friend appears to be a raging, unlikable moron. Every strip with him in it is just further examinations of how he's stunted, addled and flailing around while his friend watches in disinterest.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 13, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 14-17, 1954)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 18, 1950)

Barnaby (May 25, 1942)

Nancy (February 1, 1943)

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I'm still working under the assumption that Twila was deliberately released to break up the group/she might not be the real Twila.
Maybe the former, but the previous scene was a different kid waking up for the first time, right? That suggests it's weakening.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

TFF

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set misses the boat.

Working Daze knows we're all alike (in hating Working Daze).

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix wants you to get off its lawn.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

There goes Deep Dark Fears, posting my secret terrors again.

Speaking of which, I don't know if I'm more terrified that Gilchrist will do a Bowie tribute, or hopeful that Gilchrist will do a Bowie tribute. I know it would be horrific, but I kind of have a sick desire to see it...

Luann

Just in case you forgot that these people are gross.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

All these guys climbing over each other to help Julie and win her heart and for all they know, she could be married.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Edit to add: eeeeesh.

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

Slammy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 12, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Spidey dropping the atlantis equiv of "Slanty eyed"

What a racist.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Speaking of which, I don't know if I'm more terrified that Gilchrist will do a Bowie tribute, or hopeful that Gilchrist will do a Bowie tribute. I know it would be horrific, but I kind of have a sick desire to see it...
What if he gives it the full Candorville treatment -- a solid week of his characters limply eulogizing Bowie, with extra smarminess? Seven straight days of everyone from Fritzi down to that loving dog with the American flag bandanna and the perpetually-depressed teddy bear wearing Ziggy makeup and naming songs. If you're going to fantasize about seeing something horrific, might as well go all the way.

(Not that I think Gilchrist would ever do that. I mean, it's David Bowie, he wasn't a Grand Ol' Opry star or anything. That'll get him a single limp, smarmy eulogy, not a whole week.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that log/rock Spider-Man is carrying is meant to be a part of the sub he ripped off. Wow, why are newspaper colorists so awful?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail sets the stage for some awkward romance

Pearls Before Swine

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Thank God Bloom County got to it before Gilchrist.

Skippy (November 13, 1928)

Peanuts (January 14, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater calls in the pros. (July 31, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

What kind of room are they in? Is he outside a window?

F Minus Is a little on the nose today.

Mary Worth

Come on, Mary! Let her buy you a decorative Easter egg, or what appears to be an electric fan. These are common items in store windows in NYC. Really gets the crowds in.

Rex Morgan MD

And now Sarah looks stoned.

Secret Agent X-9

Johnny Walker posted:

Well she can't be a cop because it's the 1930s, so I'm going to guess these guys somehow killed her father or brother and she's out to bring them down.
Sorta called it.

Apartment 3-G is a bit racy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater calls in the pros. (July 31, 1929)

¡PLOP!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Could she really not think of a better nickname for his dick than "Jeffrey"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Yes.

Yes, of course.

THAT'S NOT J! IT'S CURSIVE S! IT SPELLS REGGAS

so clearly the attacker is inspired by Sagger.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 19, 1950)

Barnaby (May 26, 1942)

Nancy (February 2, 1943)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Edit to add: eeeeesh.

I know what you mean. Where'd he even find cheese in Chinatown?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 02/08/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Alright, who snitched to Brooke's editor and told him that Pibgorn wasn't running?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Aardmania posted:

Gil 02/08/15

How about you stop reminding your kid that you're poor every chance you get?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I mean it'd be great if he did find it but holy hell the amber room is beyond obscure for an American audience.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Pluggers

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I can only read this as a sarcastic "I need something to block out the smell, and why haven't you turfed them out yet?"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Some things just don't change. :sigh:
Well, a modern MRA probably wouldn't know how to play bridge.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set counts calories.

Working Daze does what Gilchrist won't.

(I'm amazed Zakour didn't have him beaming up to the Enterprise :argh:)

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has a close call.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 14, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 18-20, 1954)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Why would someone personally familiar with E. True try something like this?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe they don't know about his dark side. Maybe nobody does.

We only see Everett when poo poo's about to go down, it could be he spends most of his life in relative mediocrity. People know there's something going on in this town, but nobody knows quite what. Mrs. Henderson down the road said that her husband was trampled by a large runaway bull while out enjoying a new brand of cigar with a particularly hearty aroma, and folk downtown say a wrecking ball came to life and battered a rude young man of the 'teen' ages just yesterday, but nobody can connect the two or any of the hundreds of similar incidents.

All they know is that none of the victims have ever spoken of it, and they all seem terrified of striped circus tents.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Trilobite posted:

What if he gives it the full Candorville treatment -- a solid week of his characters limply eulogizing Bowie, with extra smarminess? Seven straight days of everyone from Fritzi down to that loving dog with the American flag bandanna and the perpetually-depressed teddy bear wearing Ziggy makeup and naming songs. If you're going to fantasize about seeing something horrific, might as well go all the way.

(Not that I think Gilchrist would ever do that. I mean, it's David Bowie, he wasn't a Grand Ol' Opry star or anything. That'll get him a single limp, smarmy eulogy, not a whole week.)

That would be horrible....ly amazing.

Don't get me wrong. If he actually did do a Bowie tribute I'd be all "gently caress you, Gilchrist :argh:" right along with everybody else. I loved David Bowie. And I think his legacy will be great enough to survive even Gilchrist.

Luann

Is Evans actually trying to imply that these two haven't had sex in all the years of dating and almost moving in together that's gone on? They started dating in 2001.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, that's nice of him. Helping out with Spidey's kids.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

God drat, it feels weird to see speaking roles for adults in Peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Is Evans actually trying to imply that these two haven't had sex in all the years of dating and almost moving in together that's gone on? They started dating in 2001.
Yes. Sex is basically the worst and most terrifying thing in the Luann world. Even just being near enough someone that you could touch them is a scary prospect to these characters. Luann and Quill have to turn the lights off to kiss, to hide their sinful lust. Gunther is the perfect boyfriend because he is appropriately afraid of sex. Just remembering that it exists as an abstract concept leaves him stammering and looking for a way out.

• Locked thread