Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chandra's tokens look sweet as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
everyone listen, paul cheon got (hehe) okay listen man he got (hahahaha) 69th place at gp oakland (omg lol)

he go the funny sex number (lmao)

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

everyone listen, paul cheon got (hehe) okay listen man he got (hahahaha) 69th place at gp oakland (omg lol)

so did David Bowie *runs quickly out of the thread*

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

nice

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

so did David Bowie *runs quickly out of the thread*

rip the original Starman

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/44505...919&__tn__=%2As

It appears wotc is finally squashing out proxies at local game stores. Greed is a bitch. I personally like the part where wotc states proxies are illegal for personal use. How moronic.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 12, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sickening posted:

It appears wotc is finally squashing out proxies at local game stores. Greed is a bitch.

jesus christ

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Sickening posted:

It appears wotc is finally squashing out proxies at local game stores. Greed is a bitch. I personally like the part where wotc states proxies are illegal for personal use. How moronic.

Could you quote the relevant text for those of us without the facebooks?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So are they like going to ban people that print out a shitload of proxies for gauntlets and stuff?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I guess killing legacy and vintage online wasn't enough for WotC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

So are they like going to ban people that print out a shitload of proxies for gauntlets and stuff?

Ban every pro player Wizards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

The threat so far is to revoke your stores wpn status. I am not sure how they are going to stop you from using proxies for personal use.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnnie5 posted:

Could you quote the relevant text for those of us without the facebooks?

This is the relevant text from the follow-up email they sent me:

Hello Edward,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. As we discussed we received information concerning some questionable or undesirable activity that occurred at your store. We understand many of these issues stem from misconceptions or miscommunications and I have summarized what we discussed below.

• Magic events (sanctioned and unsanctioned) can only allow genuine Magic: The Gathering cards.
• Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments pursuant to the official tournament rules. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear.
• Counterfeit cards are copies or reproductions of actual Wizards trading cards, whether or not they are identified as non-genuine. The creation and distribution of counterfeits violate United States and international copyright laws and negatively affects the integrity of Wizards’ trading card games. Counterfeits are strictly prohibited, even for personal, non-commercial use.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Chinese counterfeiters, do your thing and flood out this card game, please

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Count Bleck posted:

"Pithing Needle, naming Jace."
"Which one?"
"Anime Jace."
"Again, which one?"

this exact convo happened one FNM, no one knew which one i meant when i said "the anime one, with the anime hair"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Chinese counterfeiters, do your thing and flood out this card game, please

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Wizards is on a parade of lovely decisions lately. Who cares about unsanctioned events? They get people to actually play your game and lead to sales. In my experience, most people I know that tried out decks/formats at proxy events eventually ended up building real decks.

Really sucks for me because it probably means no more legacy at all at my local shop. We had 75 card proxy every Thursday that gave out card prizes and it was only possible because of proxies being allowed.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Doesn't Vintage always allow proxies because the format is an unplayable money game without them?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wizards is on a parade of lovely decisions lately. Who cares about unsanctioned events? They get people to actually play your game and lead to sales. In my experience, most people I know that tried out decks/formats at proxy events eventually ended up building real decks.

Really sucks for me because it probably means no more legacy at all at my local shop. We had 75 card proxy every Thursday that gave out card prizes and it was only possible because of proxies being allowed.

Yeah the only legacy I've ever played was 15-proxy at my local flgs

:rip:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Same. No more legacy in the entire city now as far as I know, and no modern at my favorite shop. Great job! It's also hilarious how they weasel word it to look like making proxies is illegal by US law. No, writing force of will in sharpie on an island is not a crime.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Determined to show how dedicated Wizards are to converting Magic to a game of cartoon superheroes, Wizards themselves have a adopted a persona of cartoon supervillainy

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You wouldn't steal a card

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I bet a lot of game shops have judges who have been knowingly complicit in allowing dastardly proxy events. I hope they all get banned soon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Next will be DCI bans on people who own proxy cubes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they're going to be so cartoonishly evil why aren't they abolishing the reserved list and personally burning the stocks of the cardboard illuminati while laughing at their tears yet

What step in the master plan is that

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I really hope this is just some idiot WPN rep misunderstanding things.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Thanks.

Wizards loving it up again.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I don't understand why WotC feels like they have any right to tell people how to enjoy themselves outside of sanctioned events. The only reason they get to have a say is because they have a certain degree of power over store owners. They're basically bullying shop owners by threatening to quite literally affect their ability to make a living.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's incredible just how terrible wotc is at everything that isn't designing the cards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GeneX posted:

It's incredible just how terrible wotc is at everything that isn't designing the cards

They haven't been great at that in quite a few sets.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I don't understand why WotC feels like they have any right to tell people how to enjoy themselves outside of sanctioned events. The only reason they get to have a say is because they have a certain degree of power over store owners. They're basically bullying shop owners by threatening to quite literally affect their ability to make a living.

I'm not even sure the rule is enforceable. Like what if I write on my Plains "BLACK LOTUS" with a marker. It's still a legal and non-counterfeit Magic card, just slightly altered. And if my opponent agrees to treat it like a zero mana artifact that sacrifices for three mana of any color, what can WotC even do about that? Are they making all card alters illegal to play in WPN stores? Even if they are for some ungodly reason, what if I run say, a Snow-Covered Plains and just play it as if it was a Black Lotus? Is the DCI going to disqualify me from an unsanctioned tournament? Is WotC going to browbeat the store into submission because I as a player "cheated" by treating my Snow-Covered Plains as a Black Lotus while my opponent agreed?

The entire idea is ridiculous. At this point they might as well say you can't play Yugioh or Pokemon in WPN stores, it's about as sane as this.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It was kind of strange to get the enablers for theros block in origins.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm honestly considering selling stuff off slowly and backing out of the card game, I haven't heard of any good decisions made about this game for a long while and with the bubble as big as it is I'm thinking I should get out while the getting's good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure they're just threatning a store and not saying dont ever print a magic card but I mean fearmongering etc.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Ojetor posted:

I'm not even sure the rule is enforceable. Like what if I write on my Plains "BLACK LOTUS" with a marker. It's still a legal and non-counterfeit Magic card, just slightly altered. And if my opponent agrees to treat it like a zero mana artifact that sacrifices for three mana of any color, what can WotC even do about that? Are they making all card alters illegal to play in WPN stores? Even if they are for some ungodly reason, what if I run say, a Snow-Covered Plains and just play it as if it was a Black Lotus? Is the DCI going to disqualify me from an unsanctioned tournament? Is WotC going to browbeat the store into submission because I as a player "cheated" by treating my Snow-Covered Plains as a Black Lotus while my opponent agreed?

The entire idea is ridiculous. At this point they might as well say you can't play Yugioh or Pokemon in WPN stores, it's about as sane as this.

They could do exactly that. The agreement stores have to agree to says Wizards can cut them off at any time for any reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Pretty sure they're just threatning a store

If you were paying attention you'd see this is the part the majority of the thread are annoyed about

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you were paying attention you'd see this is the part the majority of the thread are annoyed about

I think the interpretation that wotc is literally not letting you personally proxy is kind of aggressive because of how unenforceable that would be.

On the other hand if they want to cut off WPN support for stores that allow proxy events so be it v:shobon:v. That would suck but wouldn't be comically villainous.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 12, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It was kind of strange to get the enablers for theros block in origins.

Not really. They seed stuff that pairs with the mechanics for the block rotating out in the final set in its Standard season to give it a final hurrah. It also ensures that if they go overboard with a theme that it won't be in Standard for too long.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Brownhat posted:

They could do exactly that. The agreement stores have to agree to says Wizards can cut them off at any time for any reason.

I know they can do it, and much worse than that: they could even get away with it. Magic is the lifeblood of many game stores and they cannot afford to lose that business.

Zoness posted:

I think the interpretation that wotc is literally not letting you personally proxy is kind of aggressive because of how unenforceable that would be.

On the other hand if they want to cut off WPN support for stores that allow proxy events so be it v:shobon:v

I don't care about proxies for myself, I don't play Vintage or Legacy and I probably never will. I just find WotC attempting to dictate what is allowed and not in an unsanctioned event to be an unreasonable abuse of their power over game stores as the biggest tradgame in the world. It is a policy antagonistic to both stores and players and ultimately counterproductive to their final aim, which seems to be cracking down on counterfeits. If anything this encourages players to procure the counterfeits that approximate the real thing as best possible, and then pretend they are real cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

It is but we already have many precedents of bad TG companies attempting this.

quote:

On the other hand if they want to cut off WPN support for stores that allow proxy events so be it v:shobon:v. That would suck but wouldn't be comically villainous.
I would welcome a WOTC death thread to go with the GW death thread. :getin:

• Locked thread