Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Irritated Goat posted:

If you're on a family sharing, does anyone in the family get it? I know I may have to log in, download it and log out but wanted to see if it'll do it without that.

1Blocker works with family sharing. In fact, it's free to download for all! However, what doesn't work for family sharing is the $1.99 IAP for 1Blocker that allows you to use all the modes simultaneously. This isn't a limitation of 1Blocker - no IAPs "share" across families (which is dumb, IMO).

I just log myself into the device I want the IAP on, authorize it, then log myself out. The IAP will stay unlocked even if your wife or kid logs back in to their iTunes account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Odd request: I'm helping someone shoot time lapse with an old film camera. I need to be able to shoot something like 4 seconds every 20 seconds or so. Is there a good app for setting up a timer to go off every time I need to shoot so I can keep the rhythm going right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Odd request: I'm helping someone shoot time lapse with an old film camera. I need to be able to shoot something like 4 seconds every 20 seconds or so. Is there a good app for setting up a timer to go off every time I need to shoot so I can keep the rhythm going right?

There are lots of interval timer apps, but you/thsy should really just buy an intervalometer if the camera supports it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tuyop posted:

There are lots of interval timer apps, but you/thsy should really just buy an intervalometer if the camera supports it.

This is coming up very last minute so I'll check out the interval timers thanks. The camera is an old arriflex which probably wouldn't support the intervalometer even if I could get my friend to pay for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

This is coming up very last minute so I'll check out the interval timers thanks. The camera is an old arriflex which probably wouldn't support the intervalometer even if I could get my friend to pay for it.

You have a remote shutter release, right? Your four-second exposures are going to be all kinds of hosed up if you're actually touching the camera during the shot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tuyop posted:

You have a remote shutter release, right? Your four-second exposures are going to be all kinds of hosed up if you're actually touching the camera during the shot.

Nope. I was hoping but no luck. I'm really just filling in so I don't have much say but apparently it's locked down solid. We'll see. As long as I get it all covered with one reel it's good on my end.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Nope. I was hoping but no luck. I'm really just filling in so I don't have much say but apparently it's locked down solid. We'll see. As long as I get it all covered with one reel it's good on my end.

Man, I've had long exposures (though I'm thinking of 30 seconds here) get hosed up by wind with the camera in a vice, I hope you're not accepting money for this because the outcome isn't going to be reliable. If there's a timer it can go a long way as well, DSLRs have a 2 or 3 second timer for this reason.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tuyop posted:

Man, I've had long exposures (though I'm thinking of 30 seconds here) get hosed up by wind with the camera in a vice, I hope you're not accepting money for this because the outcome isn't going to be reliable. If there's a timer it can go a long way as well, DSLRs have a 2 or 3 second timer for this reason.

I'm not taking money for it, just helping a friend with a very cool project. Hopefully he's got the setup together as well as he thinks, but he's shot a lot with this camera and 16mm in general so I'm not too worried although I did mention the same concerns you have.

I tried a bunch of free interval timers, so far the best for me was Simple Interval Timer as I don't want a whole workout routine interface, just the timer.

I'd pay for one if anyone knows a better timer that can save intervals of different lengths without all the exercise stuff.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
What's the best ad blocker? I'm using purify but I still get pop ups sometimes.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Tried a bunch, including Purify, I've been happiest with 1blocker.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Slowhanded posted:

Unless you seriously need curation, don't rely on a third party service for your news syndication. Monetizing this service seems impossible and I would imagine a lot of these devs are putting time into it for an acqui-hire by a media organization rather than for long-term support. RSS is still a thing in 2016.

RSS is also kind of annoying to use. Why does it seem like any half decent app won't auto load the full article without you having to hit a button? Is that some sort of "please see the original site" nicety they all do?

I'm mostly irritated with Reeder here.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 11, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the publisher that does that, the reader typically only shows what's in the feed and most of them are just snippets of the full story. There's no reason they couldn't fetch the article, and some do, but certainly not all of them.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What's the best flight tracker for when traveling?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

decypher posted:

What's the best flight tracker for when traveling?

The Sweet Setup has an article about flight trackers: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-flight-tracker-iphone/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Unless posted:

Safari

I switched from Chrome this year because of how loving slow and inefficient its become with graphics, JavaScript, and memory. Safari is kicking all kinds of rear end. You have no excuse to not switch if OSX is your desktop/laptop and iOS is your mobile. You will live a less lovely life.

None of the alternative browsers on iOS have any bearing on the rendering performance. Any slowness vs. Safari is caused by the slower (built-in) rendering engine they're forced to use, which is not in their control.

Unless posted:

Purify

Adblocking for Safari. Pay $1.99 to the guy who runs µBlock for Safari on OSX.

Don't use that one, it's one of the ones which sold out to shadowy advertising company Eyeo, and so it by default whitelists ads from certain networks. 1blocker is better for one, but the one recently released by Mozilla is good and free too.

Incidentally, the uBlock extension you link to is the same way. You are far better off using the one maintained by the original dev, uBlock Origin - as he is a better programmer and has not sold out.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

What's the best ad blocker that will still work on an iPad 3? I inherited this thing when I got my wife a Mini 4 and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. 1blocker and Focus both say they won't run on a 3.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

wooger posted:

None of the alternative browsers on iOS have any bearing on the rendering performance. Any slowness vs. Safari is caused by the slower (built-in) rendering engine they're forced to use, which is not in their control.

Don't use that one, it's one of the ones which sold out to shadowy advertising company Eyeo, and so it by default whitelists ads from certain networks. 1blocker is better for one, but the one recently released by Mozilla is good and free too.

Incidentally, the uBlock extension you link to is the same way. You are far better off using the one maintained by the original dev, uBlock Origin - as he is a better programmer and has not sold out.

But that one is incompatible with Safari no?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you're talking about uBO then yeah. And Focus is iOS-only and Firefox doesn't have extensions on iOS.

Luceo posted:

What's the best ad blocker that will still work on an iPad 3? I inherited this thing when I got my wife a Mini 4 and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. 1blocker and Focus both say they won't run on a 3.

Apple doesn't let content blockers work on 32-bit devices. :rip:

v v v Is it a 'literally could not be done in 32 bits' thing?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apple doesn't let ad blockers work on 32-bit devices. :rip:

Well, it's less a "will not allow" and more of a "requires 64 bit OS" to work.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

flosofl posted:

Well, it's less a "will not allow" and more of a "requires 64 bit OS" to work.

Goddammit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wooger posted:

It's a bit unclear, but he's talking about OS X Chrome being slower than OS X Safari, not iOS.

That said, I just switched back to Chrome on OS X after spending way too much time watching beachballs spin when doing something like enlarging a photo on Facebook. (I realize this is probably more a Facebook problem than a Safari one, but when it's a site I use a ton, that's important.) It performs better overall and Google has changed some things so it doesn't manage to burn through battery quite as badly as it used to.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

wooger posted:

Any slowness vs. Safari is caused by the slower (built-in) rendering engine they're forced to use, which is not in their control.

Third-party apps have had access to the faster rendering engine since iOS 8.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

wooger posted:

Don't use that one, it's one of the ones which sold out to shadowy advertising company Eyeo, and so it by default whitelists ads from certain networks.

You are thinking of Crystal, I believe

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Legs Benedict posted:

That was the big scandal whenever Crystal was sold to or partnered with or whatever that ad network. I haven't gotten around to switching, but I also haven't seen any change in how many ads are blocked (all of them) on sites I visit since the news.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

I think so, yeah. I've not read anything that leads me to believe that Purify/uBlock "sold out" to an ad network.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Need a bit of advice.

Thinking I was clever (I'm usually not) I managed to buy a digital gift card in NZ denomination (but I am from the USA.)

It sort of appears that it's not for the App Store though... Just Apple and I guess retail online store. (I honestly got thrown by the small print saying something about use it in store or "online"...

Anyway, whatever my own dumb assumption. Is there any way at all to convert this to NZ App Store credit? Or am I holding something useless to me?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
lol. Maybe see if you can buy an iTunes gift card with it?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Some countries that have iTunes stores don't do gift cards, I haven't looked into NZ but that's probably why you're having difficulty finding an App Store/iTunes card and instead ended up buying just a generic Apple gift card. If they don't have a mechanism for gifting iTunes/App Store credit, pretty sure you're boned.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah even just looking at American Apple the only way to digitally buy an ITunes card is to have it snail-mailed to someone.

So even if I COULD buy a gift card for iTunes with it I'd have to have it shipped to America (if they even would which I doubt.)

Bummer. Wonder if I can get a refund on my purchase.

Edit: yeah I'm think I'm boned. Anyone in NZ want an Apple Store gift card for a slight discount?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 12, 2016

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I've been using Memrise to study vocab. Every time I open the app, it dims my music like I'm getting a notification and keeps it dimmed while the app is open. Is there a way to disable this? I can't find a thing in the app settings. Has anyone else experienced this with other apps and found a workaround?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Feenix posted:

Edit: yeah I'm think I'm boned. Anyone in NZ want an Apple Store gift card for a slight discount?

SA-Mart is your friend.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cryptoclastic posted:

I've been using Memrise to study vocab. Every time I open the app, it dims my music like I'm getting a notification and keeps it dimmed while the app is open. Is there a way to disable this? I can't find a thing in the app settings. Has anyone else experienced this with other apps and found a workaround?
This is a thing specific to Memrise and I haven't been able to find a way to disable it either, even by disabling all audio in the app's settings itself. The only way to get full volume back is to pause and unpause your music via your headphones - haven't tried it through Control Centre, I know a lot of games that would mute audio would re-mute it once focus returns to the app but the headphone trick always works.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

cryptoclastic posted:

P sure the facebook app and paper do the same thing. Never found a way to fix it when the app is running, but I would have to kill the app or else my music would stay quiet after going to the home screen or multitasking out.

Now I just use the mobile site because facebook developers are incompetent.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Feenix posted:

Yeah even just looking at American Apple the only way to digitally buy an ITunes card is to have it snail-mailed to someone.
You can purchase one through iTunes and have the code emailed to someone. "Send iTunes Gift" on the Store page.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is a thing specific to Memrise and I haven't been able to find a way to disable it either, even by disabling all audio in the app's settings itself. The only way to get full volume back is to pause and unpause your music via your headphones - haven't tried it through Control Centre, I know a lot of games that would mute audio would re-mute it once focus returns to the app but the headphone trick always works.

Thanks for this tip. Unfortunately it doesn't work well for me because I'm always switching back and forth between the app and other stuff which just redims it every minute. It did give me an idea though. I'm jailbroken so I went into Flex and made a patch. There's a check for "is sound session active" for some reason, and I set that to always be false. No dimming! Yay!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't see them in the OP, but what the best camera app that ain't terrible free to try ones.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Rirse posted:

I don't see them in the OP, but what the best camera app that ain't terrible free to try ones.

Any of the apps from jag.gr, specifically 6x6 and 6x7. For more control, there's 645 pro mkIII.

A lot of people seem to recommend VSCO cam, but I'm not a fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VSCO rules and gives you all the customization options you could want with a slick interface. It's the only camera app I've been using on my iPhone for a long-rear end time.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Croc Monster posted:

Any of the apps from jag.gr, specifically 6x6 and 6x7.

These look awesome, but it looks like they haven't been updated since 2013. Do they work alright on the 6S Plus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
That's what I use them on. No problems at all. Running 9.2, non-jailbroken.