Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

I just had a phone interview with Hyperloop Technologies out of LA.

They're basically (according to them) actually working on Elon Musk's crazy hyperloop thing, and are working on having a prototype by the end of this year.

Half of me thinks it'd be a really cool thing for an engineer (myself) to work on, while another half thinks its all vaporware and it'd be a terrible idea.

Should I be serious about this?

Startups have never been known to fail.

On a more serious note, I don't think mass transit in the United States is going to be changing anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To me that's probably down to having "I worked on something for X amount of time that never materialized" on your resume.

I mean it could pull through and look amazing but I think you're going to have to be pretty comfortable with the job being a dead end to take that gamble.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

Absolutely. And if it doesn't work out, then you can go to Apple.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CornHolio posted:

They're basically (according to them) actually working on Elon Musk's crazy hyperloop thing, and are working on having a prototype by the end of this year.

Half of me thinks it'd be a really cool thing for an engineer (myself) to work on, while another half thinks its all vaporware and it'd be a terrible idea.

Is there some reason you're avoiding BFC with this question?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

This legitimately made me really loving sad. Dude was an icon and a loving rock god.

I guess I'll start playing all his vinyls when I get home :(

Listening to Changes on vinyl right now. All the songs sound melancholy today like drat :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CornHolio posted:

Are you comfortable throwing 5 years of your life into a business with an 80%+ chance of going under?

Hyperloop will be loving awesome if it happens, but be realistic about the business side of your employment.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Logically hyperloop makes a lot of sense (as a technology). It really should replace medium to long distance continental passenger rail/air travel.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wouldn't working on something that high tech not look pretty great on your resume even if it doesn't pan out? Sounds different at the very least.

I'd do it, stack cash while there and see how it pans out. If it fails you have cash stacked, if it doesn't then you already have your foot in the door on something great.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wrar posted:

Logically hyperloop makes a lot of sense (as a technology). It really should replace medium to long distance continental passenger rail/air travel.

Oh sure it's cool, but building the infrastructure necessary to link two cities will be hilariously expensive. I mean, a billion dollars worth of hyperloop track? tube? will get you about 200 miles...assuming their projections hold up. A billion dollars of runway will get you literally anywhere any existing airplane can fly.

88h88 posted:

Wouldn't working on something that high tech not look pretty great on your resume even if it doesn't pan out? Sounds different at the very least.

I'd do it, stack cash while there and see how it pans out. If it fails you have cash stacked, if it doesn't then you already have your foot in the door on something great.

Most startups pay like poo poo; rather, they often back load your compensation by paying you in stock or stock options.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ticket: 1, 10, 19, 28, 37, Mega: 7 Lottery: 1, 13, 19, 28, 37, Mega: 7 Winners: 1 19 28 37 + Mega Millions ball 4 ball(s) correct. plus the Mega! Four balls + Mega ball wins $10,000!
Time to buy a ticket?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wrar posted:

The version where they send 12 people at a time?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CornHolio posted:

That would be very cool to work on. And by now, we know Musk has a history of pulling off poo poo that no one thought doable - albeit rather behind his optimisitic schedule.

The issue would be the pay AND the rather evil hours Musk companies demand of employees. 80+ hour work weeks? gently caress that.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That's the only downside I see about working for Elon Musk. He demands the same freakish obsessive dedication out of all his employees that he has himself. And while I would love to be ground-floor on a world-changing business venture, I like to have my personal time too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

bolind posted:

Two things: first, the whole "250 applicants per job" thing, take it easy about that. The very same rules that require you to send out X applications per week to be eligible for unemployment also means that every fucker on unemployment sends out applications to every job that's remotely relevant. We have the same thing here, and holy jesus is it a pain in the rear end to sift through. Trust me when I say that 150 of those applications go directly to the big, green filing cabinet in the alley, and then a further 50 gets discarded after thirty seconds of reading.

Secondly, how the heck can a guy like you, who has the skills and dedication to take a a number of totalled Volvos and nurse them back to showroom condition not have a job? Maybe go see some sort of Resume Doctor/Cover Letter Expert because from what I can gather, you're ten times more skilled and motivated than some people I've seen survive two rounds of layoffs.

Thanks for this, and yeah I do know that 90% of applications go straight to the trash, and the competition isn't as fierce as I'm making it out to be. I'm not really unemployed so much as I'm between jobs. Really my biggest worry right now is that I'm too expensive, or people assume I'll be, and I'm going to have to take a huge pay cut when I get an offer. I've only had 4 jobs in 27 years but I have a huge variety of experience at this point. There just haven't been many jobs posted for senior level guys, and the ones that have are looking for "superhyperdynamic go getters that really impress us with your snazzy portfolio and nonstop lifestyle because a resume is not enough" and I'm not that guy either. Although I really do need a soft copy portfolio, all I have is paper and hardware at this point.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be fine, I just felt like bitching a bit. And thanks again for the kind words. You have motivated me to start building the portfolio I need.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxZldc-dSk

Ok, whose ex is this?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No idea, but I'm sure fuck2016.gif will be bandied about with great enthusiasm as a result

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

That's the only downside I see about working for Elon Musk. He demands the same freakish obsessive dedication out of all his employees that he has himself. And while I would love to be ground-floor on a world-changing business venture, I like to have my personal time too.

Is the Hyperloop company actually working for Musk directly, though? I thought it was a case where Musk said "hey, here's this bitchin' idea, someone go build it" and not another Tesla.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jesus christ that guy got really lucky he happened to move at the last second

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Headlights go round round round round round round round round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwKrlJua_k

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is the Hyperloop company actually working for Musk directly, though? I thought it was a case where Musk said "hey, here's this bitchin' idea, someone go build it" and not another Tesla.
Exactly right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Holy. poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Regarding breaking cars, I've done it a couple of times, and I might be doing it again soon. You can turn a profit without too much trouble, but my own attitude to it is to only do it when it's a side effect of wanting a part yourself (for example, you can more effectively get all the parts for an engine conversion by buying an entire car and getting the engine, wiring loom, ECU etc and still be saving money over sourcing it all separately, but if you sell off eveything else from the donor car, it could well end up being free other than your time)

It's also a good way of making your money back on something which isn't worth fixing, or when something comes along at such a price that you can't not turn a profit on the parts

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I just swam, in pieces, 500M. I haven't attempted swimming any length since October 2013 and holy loving poo poo am I out of practice. Managed a 2:29 100M, but that's slow as poo poo. At least I could do one whole stretch of 100M before my shoulders decided they hate me. Swimming is loving hard and I suggest everybody try do it, just not at my gym because gently caress lane-splitting with you manatees :glomp: I used to be able to do 300M sets no sweat. Now 50's are hard :ughh:

I like how I want to do 5 triathlons(3 olympic), an MS150 ride, and at least one half marathon this year :shepface:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I still have horrible memories of our team pissing off the swim coach and having to do a 500M butterfly. And swimming after they refilled a pool in the middle of winter and the water was still barely above 60 degrees. I doubt I could do a 500m swim anymore without stopping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What does "goes HAM" mean?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

I just swam, in pieces, 500M. I haven't attempted swimming any length since October 2013 and holy loving poo poo am I out of practice. Managed a 2:29 100M, but that's slow as poo poo. At least I could do one whole stretch of 100M before my shoulders decided they hate me. Swimming is loving hard and I suggest everybody try do it, just not at my gym because gently caress lane-splitting with you manatees :glomp: I used to be able to do 300M sets no sweat. Now 50's are hard :ughh:

I like how I want to do 5 triathlons(3 olympic), an MS150 ride, and at least one half marathon this year :shepface:

I have a half IM in February and a full IM in December. Even with my history of being a competive swimmer when young, it's by far the hardest leg to get up to speed on and get right.

And also great cross training if you are doing cycling and running.

The real problem I have in training it turns out is my diet was soooooo hosed up. I removed 600 cals at breakfast alone by not eating crap. It's kinda disturbing to see how fast weight can come off if the diet is right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Hard as [a] motherfucker.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Rhyno posted:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Todays shop highlights included a free checkover for "shakes when driving" of hood thrashed 85 Pontiac Parisienne and shorting out half the shops lights and all the shops fans while switching out a florescent ballast 25 feet in the air on a rickety as gently caress ladder on live wires because they needed light in the shop. Lucky me tomorrow is my day off.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I need to find out what that dude is on because he is so chill through that whole thing. I don't even know if his heart rate went up when she tried to hit him with her car :stare: he is practicing some zen right there!

I would like to know whose ex this is: https://youtu.be/KikI_ttYzC4

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

No idea, but I'm sure fuck2016.gif will be bandied about with great enthusiasm as a result

Let's hope not. That was the worst loving meme and it needs to stay dead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah 2016 has been pretty cool so far, but we're only a tiny bit into it, so :shrug:. I'm actually pretty partial to this one instead:

And ExplodingSims I need your wireless transmitter for your Fieldpiece. It would make my CO tests so much easier!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I need to find out what that dude is on because he is so chill through that whole thing. I don't even know if his heart rate went up when she tried to hit him with her car :stare: he is practicing some zen right there!

I would like to know whose ex this is: https://youtu.be/KikI_ttYzC4

Dude is on resignation.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Don't work on hyperloop for a career; do it for your resume. It will look great and give excellent talking points in interviews.

If you're looking for a job where you can stay more than five years - well, most companies don't want to cultivate employees that long, so good luck.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god I have to work tomorrow (at 1300-0100) and I'm drunk as poo poo and these leftover beans on texas toast is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I started to get into serialized fiction podcasts. If you're looking for a new podcast, I would suggest checking out Limetown. If you're looking into a new podcast, I'd check it out. The premise is a reporter is investigating an incident where 300 people vanished one night without a trace.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hard as [a] motherfucker.

We always say that we're going ham and mashed potatoes when we're trying to emphasize how hard we are actually going

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Forums back online at precisely the moment I'm leaving work.

THANKS LOWTAX!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God I wanted Roadkill to make Gas Monkey STFU so bad. Still pretty drat close considering how much more money they dumped into their Dart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Geirskogul posted:

Nah 2016 has been pretty cool so far, but we're only a tiny bit into it, so :shrug:. I'm actually pretty partial to this one instead:

And ExplodingSims I need your wireless transmitter for your Fieldpiece. It would make my CO tests so much easier!

Liquid Gold right here, voting chat thread 5

• Locked thread