Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

movax posted:

This post got me to bite on the season pass -- one, the stream from SyFy doesn't look all that great and two, I understand they have ads but the lazy fuckers just play the same ad on loop for the ad breaks, which drives me nuts. (That and the volume isn't normalized at all.)

Want to know what Naomi and Amos' deal is. Got a laugh at Amos' offer to fix Holden's face -- great delivery.

:toot: aside from the Apple cloud shenanigans (note: the BTS did eventually appear a ~day later...classic) I've been happy with the quality & lack of ads (& knowing that I'm contributing a small bit to the show's continuation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Does anyone know if the SyFy app episode is available live? The xfinity broadcast is horrible quality but I know it's live so I watch that then the better quality stream a day later. If the stream is available at 10pm on Tuesday I'll just start watching that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

movax posted:

This post got me to bite on the season pass -- one, the stream from SyFy doesn't look all that great and two, I understand they have ads but the lazy fuckers just play the same ad on loop for the ad breaks, which drives me nuts. (That and the volume isn't normalized at all.)

Want to know what Naomi and Amos' deal is. Got a laugh at Amos' offer to fix Holden's face -- great delivery.

The quality seemed okay to me, but I have lovely eyesight so YMMV. I know you bought the pass already but for anyone on the fence, adblock squishes their ads into two seconds of silence so if that's your only objection give it another shot.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gohmak posted:

Does anyone know if the SyFy app episode is available live? The xfinity broadcast is horrible quality but I know it's live so I watch that then the better quality stream a day later. If the stream is available at 10pm on Tuesday I'll just start watching that.

Nope, it looks like it goes up the day after broadcast. I'm in a similar situation, no cable TV subscription, so I have to wait until it hits streaming sites.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

Nope, it looks like it goes up the day after broadcast. I'm in a similar situation, no cable TV subscription, so I have to wait until it hits streaming sites.

Personally, that's only bothered me for live sporting events. If it's not on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime, I'll get a season pass for shows I like. For sports, if it's on a broadcast network, I can use my HD Home Run that's hooked into my HD antenna. I'll truly be happy the day ESPN does a sub model like HBO is now doing. Until then... there's ways.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

xsf421 posted:

The website does stream live, but literally live. Not HBO style where the on demand video becomes available at airtime.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

pugnax posted:

The website does stream live, but literally live. Not HBO style where the on demand video becomes available at airtime.

So the app or site is live?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm sort of sad that they didn't keep the longer intro.

Really does a better job at visually tell the story and get psyched for the episode.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

gohmak posted:

So the app or site is live?

on the website, you can stream the episode as it airs on Tv. LItterally as it airs as in if you start the stream minutes after the show start then you'll miss the first five minutes.
You can only do this if you log in with your cable provider login btw.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chard posted:

The quality seemed okay to me, but I have lovely eyesight so YMMV. I know you bought the pass already but for anyone on the fence, adblock squishes their ads into two seconds of silence so if that's your only objection give it another shot.

Ah I was using the app on my iPad so no such like there. I'll just enjoy the season pass -- first video I've bought on iTunes, and for $25, that's like what... $2 an episode? Not too bad.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

feedmegin posted:

Now I know how to pronounce Rocinante! :eng101:

I'm the guy who would've sworn it should be "Scopul-ee" and not "Scopul-eye."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocinante is pretty good literary joke given Holden's personality. Similar to Don Quixote Holden is obsessed at chasing windmills, has similar messiah complex and isn't cynical enough to see how hosed the world really is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I have to mention is that watching this in a room full of Philips Hue lights is loving awesome with the Syfy Sync app.

It really brings you into the various locations. In space scenes, the lights dim and often shift to blue (especially when the engines go by). In the living areas of Ceres, the lights get nice and bright, but also at a higher color temp which really captures the sterile feature of the artificial light.

Earth scenes really warm up the color temperature in the room and approximates real daylight.

Sometimes the timing isn't quite right with the scene changes, but it's close enough most of the time and it really makes watching each episode an event.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

etalian posted:

Really does a better job at visually tell the story and get psyched for the episode.

Yeah, I agree.
It sets the tone and gets you pumped.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

Yeah, I agree.
It sets the tone and gets you pumped.

Yeah I like the bit showing humanity slowly expanding throughout the solar system, showing how the show is focused on the solar system

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

etalian posted:

/r/TheExpanse actually has a lot of show staff, including at least one of the writers, posting reasonably often - it's one of the few good things about Reddit right now I guess.

Sounds like the longer intro will be back occasionally but the ~minute it runs is considered better spent on actual content

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitprophet posted:

/r/TheExpanse actually has a lot of show staff, including at least one of the writers, posting reasonably often - it's one of the few good things about Reddit right now I guess.

Sounds like the longer intro will be back occasionally but the ~minute it runs is considered better spent on actual content

The Game of Thrones intro a full minute and half, Vikings is a full minute.

A good epic intro really does a good job at establishing the show brand, visual style and gives the viewer a almost pavlovian response to the show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

etalian posted:

A good epic intro really does a good job at establishing the show brand, visual style and gives the viewer a almost pavlovian response to the show.

My favorite is Black Sails followed by GOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

The Expanse visuals are awesome, you are right that it is a great missed opportunity to not air the full intro every episode.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

etalian posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree - loved the intro and wish it was shown more often. Was just noting that the show's creators are actually out there responding to exactly that sort of question with their rationale :) (It's kinda neat, I don't TV much so I'm sure other recent shows do it too, but I don't recall seeing that level of audience engagement before.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitprophet posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree - loved the intro and wish it was shown more often. Was just noting that the show's creators are actually out there responding to exactly that sort of question with their rationale :) (It's kinda neat, I don't TV much so I'm sure other recent shows do it too, but I don't recall seeing that level of audience engagement before.)

Just think of your favorite shows that have a really memorable intro, you'll find that most of them hit the minute to 90 sec runtime.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of my favorite intros ever was the first season of Human Target, before it was ruined in the second season with generic butt rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xFMyhBYx8

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

etalian posted:

Just think of your favorite shows that have a really memorable intro, you'll find that most of them hit the minute to 90 sec runtime.

Those are the least memorable intros for me, because I invariably skip them.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I had accidentally accumulated Audible credit and that lovely thing forces you to spend them on something before quitting. I bought all the Expanse books available (book 2 was missing) I've basically never listened to an audio book, but I spend a lot of time on podcasts while doing chores. Did I make a mistake? :ohdear:

Should I wait listening to them or just go ahead? I know there's a book thread but I don't want to spoil myself.

Book 2 being only in print form might mean I need to read a fiction book for the first time in a decade or so :stare:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Calibans War audiobook is amazing. Find the file.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I do not love the way Naomi is characterized on the show cause I always felt like in the novels she was a very proud, confident and competent person who never felt the need to flaunt it or assert herself, in the show it feels like she over compensates a bit.

My Head Naomi while reading the books is a taller, skinnier Zoe from Firefly:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm most of the way through Cibola Burns and I hope Elvi dies soon because her character is annoying as hell and spends most of her chapters gushing over Holden and admonishing herself for acting like a ternage teenage girl

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 9, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Cibola Burns is by far the pulpiest of all of it. The slapstick dialogue between Holden and Amos is great and ridiculous at the same time.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Professor Shark posted:

I'm most of the way through Cibola Burns and I hope Elvi dies soon because her character is annoying as hell and spends most of her chapters gushing over Holden and admonishing herself for acting like a ternage teenage girl

Don't worry, she gets hersome dick

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Cibola Burn is such a goddamn weird book. (book spoilers)

Let's set a novel on a genuinely alien planet honeycombed with magnificently ancient ruins — a planet that may hold a trace of the even more enigmatic and terrifying power that killed the planet's builder. Let's establish a creepy, cool ecosystem, set up a team of scientists, and give our characters special insight into the surviving alien systems.

Then let's spend the whole book throwing slugs, shoveling mud, and squabbling.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

General Battuta posted:

Let's set a novel on a genuinely alien planet honeycombed with magnificently ancient ruins — a planet that may hold a trace of the even more enigmatic and terrifying power that killed the planet's builder. Let's establish a creepy, cool ecosystem, set up a team of scientists, and give our characters special insight into the surviving alien systems.

In other words, it is thoroughly accurate to human nature and a tour de force of colonization literature.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

That sounds like human nature to me, tbqh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's one of the things I really like about the series--there is so much mass human stupidity that drives the plot, but it's all realistic stupidity.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

One thing I have to mention is that watching this in a room full of Philips Hue lights is loving awesome with the Syfy Sync app.

It really brings you into the various locations. In space scenes, the lights dim and often shift to blue (especially when the engines go by). In the living areas of Ceres, the lights get nice and bright, but also at a higher color temp which really captures the sterile feature of the artificial light.

Earth scenes really warm up the color temperature in the room and approximates real daylight.

Sometimes the timing isn't quite right with the scene changes, but it's close enough most of the time and it really makes watching each episode an event.

I only just discovered this today when I was a bit late to skipping ads on my tivo and I agree, it's kind of awesome. The app sucks but once you get it set up it works reasonably well with maybe a second of lag at most. Seeing the lights go red during anderson station was such a neat vibe tweak, plus the gimmick is kind of perfect given the target audience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It worked reasonably with 12 Monkeys too. It was also amusing with Sharknado 3, having all the lights go red whenever someone died.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Are they going to make a app to enable zero g sex at home?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just get really high on dabs.

Same same but different.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Episode 5 hooked my mom

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

General Battuta posted:

It's basically the most realistic story of space colonization ever written. Humans: we're gonna gently caress it up before we get it right.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes, but it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

The idea behind it wasn't bad, but it turns out it makes a boring as gently caress book.

Now to patiently wait to hear 'Doors and corners, kid'.

• Locked thread