Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hoo boy I got some bad news this morning. It looks like I'm not going to be getting a tax refund at all this year. In fact I'll be lucky if I can get away with owing less than a $1000 dollars. When I started my new job they hosed up my first paycheck, instead of taking out an additional $50 for tax withholding they gave me 50 EXEMPTIONS!!! Thankfully I got it fixed right away but its still a huge chuck of money. Then for some reason they still thought I had a couple of kids and have been giving me 2 exemptions all year long! Its my own fault for never checking again after the first mess up. I do have a copy of my original form I filled out specifying that I wanted to claim 0 and an extra $50 withholding but I doubt it does me any good at this point.

Thankfully I've been keeping a little over a third of what I've been making from my side business to save for taxes. And I consulted with an accountant who went over everything I could count as a business expense for the year which should help me quite a bit as well. I'll see what ends up happening but this still puts a major dent in the future boat budget.

Now for the good news. This same accountant has said that I may be able to get commercial insurance for a boat through my business a whole lot easier than I could as an individual. If I can figure out a business angle for needing a boat and or buying one I could get a business liability policy that would cover me the same. So I'm going to look into putting up some lame "off site storage backup" or "server farms" plan together to justify the purchase.

That still means I need to get a loan to get the boat but it's at least one obstacle down.

This is the best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

slap me silly posted:

This is the best thread.

I nominate this for the 2016 Golden Wonderhanger awards because clearly this is going to be around all year.

Also which one of you BFC regulars owns this parody account?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That's like don't count your chickens before they're hatched.txt right there.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
You should definitely lie to your insurance and get commercial insurance for your personal home

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Love the new thread title.

I was curious how shrink-wrapping a houseboat works, since I've never seen them on the lake I live near and all the boats look like this:

Turns out this is what a shrink-wrapped houseboat looks like:

I imagine it doesn't insulate that well in terms of keeping in heat, but I guess it at least helps block a lot of wind. Though I'm curious if one has to risk life and limb to try and shovel the snow off of them?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

You should definitely lie to your insurance and get commercial insurance for your personal home

The way it was explained to me is that it's not lying if I do use it for a business purpose. So if for example I do some "offsite" backups I could justify owning the boat as a business expense for that. I could also claim it as an office and not take the home office deduction. This was a real CPA not some backwater dock accountant either who I met with.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The way it was explained to me is that it's not lying if I do use it for a business purpose. So if for example I do some "offsite" backups I could justify owning the boat as a business expense for that. I could also claim it as an office and not take the home office deduction. This was a real CPA not some backwater dock accountant either who I met with.

You're using it as a primary residence and not "offsite backup" so yea its lying and if/when your insurance finds out they will dump you and/or fine you! He's a bad CPA

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I imagine it doesn't insulate that well in terms of keeping in heat, but I guess it at least helps block a lot of wind. Though I'm curious if one has to risk life and limb to try and shovel the snow off of them?

The trapped air does the insulating, not the plastic itself. It should be fine.

What may not be fine is trying to defraud an insurance company. BaseballPCHiker you are probably going to want to check with the marina and make sure they are okay with you having a commercial policy. Although to be honestly it wouldn't be a whole lot worse to just skip the middleman and make some fake insurance documents for the marina.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No you can't write off your houseboat by putting a hard drive in it. I don't know about the insurance thing but I do have a strong feeling that won't fly either.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Guys. Stop trying to step all over his dreams.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

Guys. Stop trying to step all over his dreams.

You are so right. I'm sorry!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hey BaseballPCHiker came here to get help and receive answers, not have more problems be made so lets brainstorm some businesses that are above water for him.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Have you considered buying that floating RV and making a meth lab? If it catches on fire, there's plenty of water to help put it out. I think there was a tv show about it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Veskit posted:

Hey BaseballPCHiker came here to get help and receive answers, not have more problems be made so lets brainstorm some businesses that are above water for him.

OP could probably hire a local starving artist for pretty cheap to mock up some BUSINESS SIGNS and business cards to prove that his boat dog daycare and server business is legit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SarutosZero posted:

OP could probably hire a local starving artist for pretty cheap to mock up some BUSINESS SIGNS and business cards to prove that his boat dog daycare and server business is legit.

I got it, he spends an hour a week, tops, fishing off his boat. Catches fish, gives it to charity because he's set up his boat business as non profit, EVERYONE WINS

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Veskit posted:

I got it, he spends an hour a week, tops, fishing off his boat. Catches fish, gives it to charity because he's set up his boat business as non profit, EVERYONE WINS

The potential savings here when you get non-profit status are incredible. He can hire his dog and girlfriend as "employees" and pass money through them to get nice tax breaks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

Floating meth house. Hydroelectric generator. Maritime insurance. Piracy. Fish hatchery. Tax preparation for people who want to write off houseboats as business expenses (a niche, but growing field).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
One of the best tax write offs you can get is to grow a forest. Years of expenses and you only pay tax once you harvest the trees. So grow a forest on the houseboat, no one would see the server farm for the trees.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
OP, your plan will do fine, don't listen to all the neighsayers.

While you're making hay avoiding throwing money away on rent, these nags will keep losing out on building that sweet sweet equuity.

Saddle up and go chase your dreams!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wonder if the regulations for a boat used for commercial purposes are different than those for a pleasure boat.

:laffo:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Okay hear me out - floating brothel,

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm sure a saw a floating brothel on a episode of Pimp My Boat.
http://imgur.com/izzhK7N

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If the boat is a rockin', come on a knockin'

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

If the boat is a rockin', come on a knockin'

Don't forget your protection.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

slap me silly posted:

This is the best thread.

E: found a church on your boat! Then you can live in it AND everything is tax free!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Moneyball posted:

Have you considered buying that floating RV and making a meth lab? If it catches on fire, there's plenty of water to help put it out. I think there was a tv show about it.

Surely you mean the 2-part episode of Thunder in Paradise, starring Hulk Hogan, entitled "Deadly Lessons". It's all some of the fun of Knight Rider, but on a boat!

quote:

EPISODE SUMMARY
A DEA agent asks Spence to help catch a drug lord and his chief assistant. They sneak into his HQ and capture the drug lord. His angered assistant breaks into the school where Kelly is to teach, and Jessica is a student, and takes the school hostage. Alison, knowing a way in, joins Spence and Bru in the rescue.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sorry, I have parkinson's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsrJYZq3HE

"I will not hear another word against the boat." - OP

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Devian666 posted:

I'm sure a saw a floating brothel on a episode of Pimp My Boat.
http://imgur.com/izzhK7N

Pretty solid entry to the Kemah Lighted Boat Parade. Yes that's a thing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
As a loan underwriter I am sure that your bank will love that thr boat is being purchased for personal use but insured by a business policy. No siree, no risk here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't he just get a SBA loan and become a commercial fisherman? That way all the expenses are deductible against his fish sales.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ok I think even my .003% knowledge of accounting is useless here, but IIRC even if you did put a server farm on your floating deathtrap, the only claimable business expenses from the server farm would be for the fraction of the boat/utilities etc that the farm takes up. So say your server farm took up 5% of the space on your boat, you would be able to count 5% of the applicable expenses as "business expenses". You can only deduct the electricity the servers used, not all your power, only the additional air filtration+ciculation, etc.

Honestly just loving lol at your ludicrously retarded plan

"Don't worry valued clients, even after the freak April storm I have offsite backups!"
"Great! When can you get them to us?!"
*Goes to oily patch of water where his boat used to be*
"Umm ok there were some issues with the offsite backups"
"Why? Where were our valuable data, which we specifically paid you to store securely, stored?"
"In a poorly made plywood cabinet on my under-insured and unmaintained houseboat!"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
On the other hand, putting a server farm on his boat would lower his heating costs... possibly keep him from freezing to death in his deathtrapboat.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

detectivemonkey posted:

On the other hand, putting a server farm on his boat would lower his heating costs... possibly keep him from freezing to death in his deathtrapboat.

By server farm he means bitcoin mining rigs with faulty power supplies that will set the boat on fire.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Still keeps him warm. I'm not seeing a problem here.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Devian666 posted:

By server farm he means bitcoin mining rigs with faulty power supplies that will set the boat on fire.

Even I'm not stupid enough to think that Bitcoin mining is worth doing.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Ok I think even my .003% knowledge of accounting is useless here, but IIRC even if you did put a server farm on your floating deathtrap, the only claimable business expenses from the server farm would be for the fraction of the boat/utilities etc that the farm takes up. So say your server farm took up 5% of the space on your boat, you would be able to count 5% of the applicable expenses as "business expenses". You can only deduct the electricity the servers used, not all your power, only the additional air filtration+ciculation, etc.

Honestly just loving lol at your ludicrously retarded plan

"Don't worry valued clients, even after the freak April storm I have offsite backups!"
"Great! When can you get them to us?!"
*Goes to oily patch of water where his boat used to be*
"Umm ok there were some issues with the offsite backups"
"Why? Where were our valuable data, which we specifically paid you to store securely, stored?"
"In a poorly made plywood cabinet on my under-insured and unmaintained houseboat!"

I would not claim the boat as an office which is where a lot of you seem to be getting confused. So I wouldn't have to figure out or worry about the home office deduction. Instead I would just claim that I use it for something in my business for the purpose of getting it insured under my business insurance policy.

And I'm not sure where you all get the idea that any boat not brand new and meticulously cared for sinks at the drop of a hat. There was story in the paper about a houseboat that just got abandoned in the river and stayed afloat for months without anyone on board that was causing an ice dam buildup. Boats want to float naturally its what they do. The only thing I'll have to worry about really is the occasional mechanical issue and creature comfort concerns like heating.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only thing I'll have to worry about really is the occasional mechanical issue and creature comfort concerns like heating.

Have you put any thought into what business you are going to tell your insurance your boat is for

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

SarutosZero posted:

Have you put any thought into what business you are going to tell your insurance your boat is for

To take clients out on. This plan is all coming together.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only thing I'll have to worry about really is the occasional mechanical issue and creature comfort concerns like heating.

Well that and, uh, coming up with the money to buy it in the first place. You can't even figure out withholding as a W2 employee so you didn't get your sick refund but this whole thing will work because of the home office deduction? Ok.

You haven't addressed something I brought up earlier about insurance. Vehicle insurance covers damage to the vehicle and damage your vehicle causes to others. Homeowner's or renter's insurance covers liability to others, your property inside it, and you can buy coverage for staying elsewhere if your home becomes unlivable. Which type of insurance is houseboat insurance?

Also what in the world makes you think that business insurance covering your home office would cover anything other than the equipment in that office with maybe some coverage to pay for another workspace temporarily?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NancyPants posted:

Well that and, uh, coming up with the money to buy it in the first place. You can't even figure out withholding as a W2 employee so you didn't get your sick refund but this whole thing will work because of the home office deduction? Ok.

You haven't addressed something I brought up earlier about insurance. Vehicle insurance covers damage to the vehicle and damage your vehicle causes to others. Homeowner's or renter's insurance covers liability to others, your property inside it, and you can buy coverage for staying elsewhere if your home becomes unlivable. Which type of insurance is houseboat insurance?

Also what in the world makes you think that business insurance covering your home office would cover anything other than the equipment in that office with maybe some coverage to pay for another workspace temporarily?

Way to not read anything I wrote. First off I do have my withholding fixed, my employer messed it up when I started, not me. I just didnt catch it when our accounting department messed it up a second time. It is for sure fixed now. Again I wouldnt be using the boat for the home office deduction!!!! How many times do I have to state this? Instead I would use the boat for a business purpose like entertainment or storage or something to insure it as a business asset. This would satisfy the marinas insurance requirement.

You are right about not having enough money to buy it in the first place though which sucks. I have enough that with PMI I could probably go buy a house but the bank wants to be lame and not play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You are right about not having enough money to buy it in the first place though which sucks. I have enough that with PMI I could probably go buy a house but the bank wants to be lame and not play ball.

Yea but that was before when you were trying to buy a box boat as a personal residence. Now that its a ~~BUSINESS BOAT~~ you can go in for a business loan

• Locked thread