Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZombyDog posted:

The CTF-0XP is new since I last played and has ECM and all, but it's still a Cataphract and suffers from having the Cataphract's hitbox. It's probably the only one that interests me, except I've got better Heavy brawlers in my stable.

Ehhhhhhhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
everyone buy blackjacks for serious

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Pattonesque posted:

everyone buy blackjacks for serious

Quickdraws and Blackjacks are beasts.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Quickdraws get progressively worse the better your tier as they are large, draw fire, and aren't really any better armored than a Griffon. Fun mech though.

Blackjacks just straight up rule and a bunch of them play very differently.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have the Arrow, which two Blackjacks would be good compliments

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have the Arrow, which two Blackjacks would be good compliments

The BJ-1X which is a hilariously speedy laser boat and I guess the DC one which has an extra module slot and can chain fire AC5s.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Quickdraws get progressively worse the better your tier as they are large, draw fire, and aren't really any better armored than a Griffon. Fun mech though.

i don't know about that...

the 4G and 5K are two of the best laser boating mechs in the game ATM

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BJ-1 gives you the ability to take AC-2s and not feel like a moron. 4 MLs +2 AC/2s with the perks is a ton of fun.

BJ-1DC is 6-MLs+AC/5, and also has great quirks. Its only downside is no jump jets.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Heads up: If you want to make bad decisions like I do, you'll be wanting to get Highlanders. Don't get the 733P. Its got ballistic and gauss quirks but zero ballistic hardpoints. Its been this way since the requirkening.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay, I got me a reliable, dependable laser Centurion and an OP-recommended ECM Raven. I got registered with the space game goons and got on Mumble. I even borrowed a good headset from a friend to replace my lovely old one. I've been a good boy.

Time to do something fun and stupid. I present Shotgun Fungus, the Jaegermech
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=67&l=cb4bc88da3454f848292eff9035670e3a194d74c

The great part is that I can strip it and rebuild it if I want a mech that works! Think I'll need more ammo?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
oh wonderful, we'll get to see more super quirked blackjacks hillhumping. Dunno why they gave them structure bonus they were already decent

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

liquidfire posted:

i need someone to help me build a direwolf with like 4 * ER-large and max heatsinks/ range for CW. PUGS/ -42- ended up on ghost bear :(

Direwolves are best with like 5 AC5 or 4 AC10 or other rediclious things because they can mount 50 tons of guns.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Except for the quickdraw-5K that is the best 4 LL boat in the entire game.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Tujague posted:

Okay, I got me a reliable, dependable laser Centurion and an OP-recommended ECM Raven. I got registered with the space game goons and got on Mumble. I even borrowed a good headset from a friend to replace my lovely old one. I've been a good boy.

Time to do something fun and stupid. I present Shotgun Fungus, the Jaegermech
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=67&l=cb4bc88da3454f848292eff9035670e3a194d74c

The great part is that I can strip it and rebuild it if I want a mech that works! Think I'll need more ammo?

LBX10's suck if you want a 'fun' jager cram two AC20's in it. Or dual gauss, or 3 ultra 5's.

also frontload your armor. i usually run 8ish in the back sides, and 10 back center jagers are a bit fragile

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 12, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Washout posted:

Except for the quickdraw-5K that is the best 4 LL boat in the entire game.

Yes and at better tiers your opponents know that and will prioritize you because you're tall and boxy and only a 60 tonner. So your survivability will start to go down. That's literally all I said and something for newer players to consider.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
tbh if you aren't a complete moron you can make just about any mech "Work". Except the slow 25 ton clan light. The only way it could be made to work is if you could upgrade the engine, and you can't so lol.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

tbh if you aren't a complete moron you can make just about any mech "Work". Except the slow 25 ton clan light. The only way it could be made to work is if you could upgrade the engine, and you can't so lol.

basically this. as long as your mechs are built around weapons that synergize well with one another, e.g. clan c-smpls/c-srms and lpls/mls, then you can do damage.

and then you have mechs where you literally can't do poo poo with, an example being the quarantine.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Irrefutable proof that the Shadow Cat is the best Cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8UKf65NOzM

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I unironically love the Shadow Cat and have made my best and most memorable kills in it, outside of some crazy rounds in my medium Crabs that is.

Medium Crabs are loving amazing if you're into zombie laser IS mechs.

No arms, no side torsos, one leg and 17% of your mech left? You probably still have 3 medium pulse lasers blasting away.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Medium Crabs are loving amazing if you're into zombie laser IS mechs.

No arms, no side torsos, one leg and 17% of your mech left? You probably still have 3 medium pulse lasers blasting away.

Oh man the medium crabs are so stupid fun, I bought three with cbills, painted them all like bees, and have been having a blast. Pubbies just have no idea what is up with them and you can stick huge engines on them.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh man the medium crabs are so stupid fun, I bought three with cbills, painted them all like bees, and have been having a blast. Pubbies just have no idea what is up with them and you can stick huge engines on them.

They are so redicliously tough, way tougher than the king crab thats for sure.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo pubbies are so bad someone please PM me the mumble infos.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Marauders are baller as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That's all I wanted to say.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
LRMs are bad, mmkay?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Washout posted:

They are so redicliously tough, way tougher than the king crab thats for sure.

Right?! They're super long and if you present your side you'll get that side torso eaten, but if you look at them you're like loving needle thin, if you just wiggle and stay full speed (it's stupidly easy to at least go 81+ in them) you're a ghost after you dumped like 36 pinpoint on them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like that after they shoot off an arm, then a side torso they've still only taken off just a single medium pulse laser because most of my firepower is in my CT & head :v:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Crabs are not on sale talk about the sale items!!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I bought a Shadowcat prime, please tell me how to build this thing, I only ever fly Ravens.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I thought this game was dead, but this thread seems to have picked up momentum again.

Did PGI manage to do something good with their game?

Is it worth playing again? I've not really touched it since a few months after launch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

LRMs are bad, mmkay?

Every once in a while I get this wild hair up my rear end because I want to see why pubbies loooooooove LRM boats. So I'll fire one up and crap missiles at people. Then promptly top out at about 200 damage and wonder why anyone bothers. Meanwhile if I put SRM's in the place of the LRM's three volleys will put me way over 200 damage.

Tindahbawx posted:

I thought this game was dead, but this thread seems to have picked up momentum again.

Did PGI manage to do something good with their game?

Is it worth playing again? I've not really touched it since a few months after launch.

Mechs got quirks to make them less prone to immediately blowing up, ghost heat is still there but it's dialed back, SRM's got buffed. All of this equates to those big brawls being back in a big way.

Pubbies still haven't really cottoned to brawls being back. This means if you can get 6-8 goons in brawl mechs working together they can absolutely destroy the other team.with 80 damage alpha strikes while the other team fires back in their crappy 15-30 damage sniper builds.

EDIT: Basically goons getting in amongst a sniping team with a ghost dad/splat mechs resembles what would happen if a pride of lions got set loose in a flock of retarded sheep. Just a lot of bleeting and explosions of blood dampened wool.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Every once in a while I get this wild hair up my rear end because I want to see why pubbies loooooooove LRM boats. So I'll fire one up and crap missiles at people. Then promptly top out at about 200 damage and wonder why anyone bothers.

Because being shot at is scary! Pubbies just want to hide and shoot people without being shot back at, so they love LRMs and ERLL gunlines.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Because being shot at is scary! Pubbies just want to hide and shoot people without being shot back at, so they love LRMs and ERLL gunlines.

I'm just hyper aggressive I guess. This is why I prefer assaults, because when I get aggressive the whole team usually follows me. When I pub drop and the pubbies are all peaking and poking I'm virtually pacing in my mech and I usually go out in a blaze as I solo rush in something I have no business doing such a thing in.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What about the victor? It seems like you can throw some good amount of punch on it and still be pretty quick and still durable.

I never see Highlanders.

Executioners I see a lot of with Finger of God builds, which look fun!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm just hyper aggressive I guess.

No, you're just not terrible at this game (probably). Pushing en masse is how games are won.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 12, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

What about the victor? It seems like you can throw some good amount of punch on it and still be pretty quick and still durable.

I never see Highlanders.

The victor and highlander used to be two of the best mechs in the game. They were the first to receive negative quirks and thus got nerfed into the sun.

Recently, the HGNs have recieved some structure quirks but their weapon quirks are still lacking, I think there is one that is ok atm. Victors are my favorite mech but aren't XL friendly as they use to be but you can still make use of them its just that for the tonnage you are usually better off in something else. The jumpjet nerf from awhile back hampered both mechs mobility greatly. I recently took out my brawly vic (ac20 srms mls) and did OK.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, you're just not terrible at this game (probably).

Yeah, LRMs have their major problems but if you're capping out at 200 damage in a match there's something else going on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

I never see Highlanders.

Victor is agile but the JJ nerfs killed it. It's brawler-only because its hard points are mixed and low, but you need an XL engine to really pack a decent loadout. It's also humongous--about the size of an Atlas at 20 fewer tons

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Looking at the quirks on the Highlanders, are they basically Atlas -10 tons and jumpjets. What with all the +armor and +structure. So I fiddled around and made a few builds with the engines I have.

HGN-733 Splatlander, not sure if I should bother with the AC10
HGN-733C Splatlander, but with AC20 and 1 less SRM6
HGN-732 LPLander with Gauss, has the left torso empty for shielding
HGN-732B LPLander but with AC10

and just for the hell of it a build for HGN-733P, even if the quirks are half useless.

Good buy for a brawly assult that wont get stuck?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Also just a comment on Quickdraws--right now certain variants are beastly due to quirks, but if and when those quirks change, the chassis doesn't have much to recommend it. Blackjacks on the other hand will always be at least decent due to their ability to boat energy with high mounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ZenVulgarity posted:

Crabs are not on sale talk about the sale items!!
These are all the ones I have personal experience with:
FS9-A is an extremely mean 8xSPL butt wubber. Be a sneaky bastard, run around behind assaults and scoop out their butts. You have to be really close in so you often have to commit to going for the kill when you engage unless there's some nearby cover.
FS9-S is a 5xMPL skirmisher. You can follow the same strategy as the -A, but you can do it from farther away. You just have a slightly lower DPS so you don't carve out butts quite as quickly.
FS9-E is like a mix between the other two, with 4xML+4xMGs. Just make sure to save your MG ammo for opened components.
BJ-A is a solid 3xLPL skirmisher. Energy mounts are all in the torsos, so they're too low to poke.

I've got the BJ mastery pack and looked up builds for the other two and haven't put them together yet, but from my understanding:
BJ-3 is a 3xLPL peeker. Stick all your LPL on one side and go to town.
BJ-1 is a mini-dakka 2xAC2+4xML.

• Locked thread