Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

is that made out of whale/seal bone goggles, thats awesome. Inuit culture is so amazing.

Count Chocula posted:

Do we have a general Silicon Valley Lunacy thread?

http://www.theawl.com/2015/12/star-lords

arnt most of them weird sometimes socialy left objectivists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DealWithIt.jpg

Not wanting to revive D&D chat but if you're a huge nerd you should check out Greg Stolze's fantasy RPGs; they are full of subtle and not so subtle trolls against DE types in the gaming community. REIGN doesn't draw attention to the fact that under the rules of the setting, 99% of the population is brown or black and the only white people in the setting are a bunch of inbred illiterate savages. Oh, and due to widespread cultural belief that riding a horse astride will render you impotent a) every standing cavalry force is composed of women and/or eunuchs and b) the societal stigma attached to this belief often makes it into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Of course there's nothing saying that your PC HAS to ride sidesaddle, as long as you are cool with everyone you meet thinking your dick doesn't work.

He also wrote a setting called Ardwin which is basically the Galapagos finches with orcs and elves.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is that made out of whale/seal bone goggles, thats awesome. Inuit culture is so amazing.

Yup. The snow glare gets nasty in those parts so they invented something that functions basically like sunglasses. Keeps them from going blind. Human ingenuity at its finest.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

arnt most of them weird sometimes socialy left objectivists.

Yeah but the weirdness is fascinating and I'm not sure I want to go into YOSPOS to read about it:

http://www.wired.com/1994/10/extropians/

quote:

The Handshake: Right hand out in front of you, fingers spread and pointing at the sky. Grasp the other person's right hand, intertwine fingers, and close. Then shoot both hands upward, straight up, all the way up, letting go at the top, whooping "Yo!" or "Hey!" or some such thing.

You won't be able to do this without smiling, without laughing out loud, in fact – just try it – but this little ceremony, this tiny two-second ritual, pretty much sums up the general Extropian approach. This is a philosophy of boundless expansion, of upward- and outwardness, of fantastic superabundance.

It's a doctrine of self-transformation, of extremely advanced technology, and of dedicated, immovable optimism. Most of all, it's a philosophy of freedom from limitations of any kind. There hasn't been anything like it – nothing this wild and extravagant, no such overweening confidence in the human prospect – since way back to those bygone ages when people still believed in things like progress, knowledge, and – let's all shout it out, now – Growth!

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

Do we have a general Silicon Valley Lunacy thread?

http://www.theawl.com/2015/12/star-lords

There's always http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

blackguy32 posted:

So does this group have significant overlap with gamergaters? Or are they in conflict with one anothee? One thing I learned is that a lot of these fringe groups hate each other for various reasons.

Not really. The post-LessWrong rationalists, hence the gay Jew end of neoreaction, put a lot of store by this essay by Ozy about how poor widdle Eron Gjoni who did nothing wrong is a completely reliable source, and that horrible bitch Zoe Quinn is totally an acceptable target, and here's a paper-thin disclaimer. (And never mind actual observable behaviour of Gjoni or Quinn in the year+ since, 'cos "updating on evidence" is for the outgroup.) But little overlap as such; gators are so earnest and NRx are more detached.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there's this insane tendency of humans to assume everything the people on that side of the fence do is evil, and everything the people on this side do is cool and good.

And when that's proved wrong, the fence is moved.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Race Realists posted:

I can only go by what I see online, and for the most part it seems to me a great majority of them fear what I just said (usually they fear their children in that particular situation), their jobs being "stolen" from certain types of individuals who didn't "work hard enough", and the country descending into chaos and disarray (which some of them believe has already occurred)

There's been similar fears voiced since ancient times in response to different circumstances. This sort of sense that everything's vaguely wrong without fully knowing why and struggling to figure out what that is in hopes of fixing it. Even if it's not dysphoria in the technical sense, it's still an extremely unpleasant feeling to have regardless. I raised the possibility of mental issues because they're a common cause but if it's easier to think of it as a sort of nerdy malaise, that works too.

The thing is that the explanation comes after the fact because they're not based on rational examination of the facts but a general sense of malaise adapted to the circumstances. This isn't a unique phenomenon: One study asked participants to rate which face they found the most attractive. Afterward they asked why after secretly switching the picture for another face. People didn't notice the deception and still were able to come up with reasons like it never happened. This isn't a moral failing on their part, it's just something that people unconsciously do.

It's not set in stone that everyone will turn to a specific political movement or any political movement for that matter, but both offer something the other wants. The movement gets a supporter and the person gets an explanation and a sense that they can solve the problem.

What I think is going on is that conservative groups have been making a concerted outreach effort while liberal groups have been much more uneven. My impression (as a white guy from similar circumstances as many of the people we're talking about) is that liberals aren't very good at mental health per se and prefer to focus on what they feel comfortable with. So discussions of a black guy with severe depression are going to focus on questions of race more than how depression affects his life because that's more comfortable.

If they've got to talk about mental health per se, many liberals fall back to things like involuntary inpatient treatment and preventing people with mental health issues from buying guns. There's an unmistakeable sense that those with mental illnesses are somehow dangerous or sinister. So while liberals should in principle be much more understanding of a straight white guy from a well-off family with mental health issues, in practice they're not. If someone takes an outright antagonistic approach like claiming that it's really unexamined privilege, nobody's going to contradict that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

I don't think DE is simply a manifestation of frustration or When Nihilism Goes Wrong. That period you describe in your own life OwlFancier sounds more like the angst of just growing up. But I think if there is a correct response to Nihilism it's got to be self-actualization, or at the very least a reorientation towards a subjective humanism. I dunno, maybe I was just lucky in that I personally didn't spend much time being a nihilist, despite being atheist from a very, very young age. I'd actually like you to talk more about it, if you don't mind.

Regardless, I think nihilism is too simplistic an answer. As is frustration, everyone grows up wanting to be an astronaut, yet everyone else grows up out of it.

No, I feel like what DE provides is an answer to guilt. Go back to those trading cards - often, they depict themselves as dragons or other mythical creatures. The thing about these creatures though, is that they're not burdened with guilt. They only have self interest, which is why they act the way they do. So they either see themselves in that way, as people without guilt, or desire to be that way. Their catchphrase is 'be a little evil/bad/whatever' after all. I think it's wrong to see that phrase as a prescription to the reader, as how they should act - rather, it's them begging the reader to excuse/absolve their guilt. 'It was only a little bad, it's not a problem'. Oddly enough, they will gladly turn around when they are the injured party, declaring that morality is black-and-white, demanding compensation or whatever (see: mr A). But of course, they deserve absolution without strings attached.

Problem is, guilt makes you human. It's important to feel bad when you've done something bad, so you get to make amends and so on. Normal people just accept that, DE'ers can't, so they try and double down. The death metal stuff is just a cover to try and find legitimacy.

Suddenly all that Draka poo poo makes no much sense.

S.M. Stirling posted:

...So the Draka are not different from other people because we violate the Golden Rule, or Bentham's derivative idolatry of 'the greatest good for the greatest number.' Everyone does. We do not violate them, we reject them.

Others have conquered and ruled; we alone conquer for conquest's sake, and dominate for no other purpose than Domination itself; the name we half-consciously chose for our state is no accident. We, and we alone, have spoken aloud the great secret: that the root function of all human society is the production and reproduction of power - and that power is the ability to compel others to do your will, against theirs. It is end, not means. The purpose of power is power.

The Draka will conquer the world for two reasons; because we must and because we can. And yet of the two forces the second is the greater; we do this because we choose to do it. By the sovereign Will and force of arms the Draka will rule the Earth, and in so doing remake themselves. We shall conquer and beat the Nations of the Earth into the dust and reforge them in our self wrought Image; the Final Society, a new humanity without weakness or mercy, hard and pure. Our descendants will walk the hillside of that future, innocent beneath the stars, with no more between them and their naked will than a wolf has. THEN there will be Gods in the Earth.

I also once remember reading a short story once about an emerging race of "more evolved" golden-skinned humans who were stronger and faster and longer-lived and more intelligent blah blah blah than other humans, but were profoundly autistic to the point of having no social instincts whatsoever--they were nonverbal and refused to communicate with anyone or live with other people, even others of their own kind. In this psychological context, that makes a lot more sense too. Because as "evolved" and supposedly superior as they are, they are basically beasts who don't have to worry about the feelings, welfare, or even existence of people other than themselves.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They [Khajiit] also worship cocaine.

The best religion.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 11, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The thing is that the explanation comes after the fact because they're not based on rational examination of the facts but a general sense of malaise adapted to the circumstances. This isn't a unique phenomenon: One study asked participants to rate which face they found the most attractive. Afterward they asked why after secretly switching the picture for another face. People didn't notice the deception and still were able to come up with reasons like it never happened. This isn't a moral failing on their part, it's just something that people unconsciously do.
There's a bunch of studies like this, including, more on the topic, on political questionnaires. Switch the answers, and people will justify whatever you make them believe they picked.

And the first thing everyone gets wrong is thinking they certainly wouldn't give the subject a 430 volt shock/defend the fake choice.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There's been similar fears voiced since ancient times in response to different circumstances. This sort of sense that everything's vaguely wrong without fully knowing why and struggling to figure out what that is in hopes of fixing it. Even if it's not dysphoria in the technical sense, it's still an extremely unpleasant feeling to have regardless. I raised the possibility of mental issues because they're a common cause but if it's easier to think of it as a sort of nerdy malaise, that works too

It's not set in stone that everyone will turn to a specific political movement or any political movement for that matter, but both offer something the other wants. The movement gets a supporter and the person gets an explanation and a sense that they can solve the problem.

What I think is going on is that conservative groups have been making a concerted outreach effort while liberal groups have been much more uneven. My impression (as a white guy from similar circumstances as many of the people we're talking about) is that liberals aren't very good at mental health per se and prefer to focus on what they feel comfortable with. So discussions of a black guy with severe depression are going to focus on questions of race more than how depression affects his life because that's more comfortable.
I think this is still a bit too general - the question is not, why do people turn conservative? Dark Enlightenment is not conservative, in the same way that Cruz and Bush and so on are almost as disgusted by Trump as everyone else. They're radicals. They're right-wingers and in the to liberals salient aspects agree with conservatives. But they're not conservatives.
They're partially reactionaries, partially liberals, partially fascists, and so on. And the interesting question is, what makes one specifically buy into DE or HBD, and not into regular run-of-the-mill redneck racism or oldstyle libertarianism or regular conservativism.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

... And the interesting question is, what makes one specifically buy into DE or HBD, and not into regular run-of-the-mill redneck racism or oldstyle libertarianism or regular conservativism.

Because you've adopted "nerd" as part of your identity, that's it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkie posted:

Because you've adopted "nerd" as part of your identity, that's it.
That would not be a satisfying explanation to me.

If it is to you, well, thread's basically over then right?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

That would not be a satisfying explanation to me.

If it is to you, well, thread's basically over then right?

I mean, what do you think it is? Personally I think the only difference between these people and "redneck racists" is that these people think they're superior to the later because they think of themselves very smart, academic, and scientific, and so they use rhetoric that jives with that, but at heart it's the same old poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkie posted:

I mean, what do you think it is? Personally I think the only difference between these people and "redneck racists" is that these people think they're superior to the later because they think of themselves very smart, academic, and scientific, and so they use rhetoric that jives with that, but at heart it's the same old poo poo.
Depends on whom specifically you're trying to understand right now. For example, I think somebody like Moldbug is motivated by much different things than somebody like Aurini, not to speak of Scott Alexander.

Some of which I'd have to confess I have absolutely no idea about. Big riddles.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I think this is still a bit too general - the question is not, why do people turn conservative? Dark Enlightenment is not conservative, in the same way that Cruz and Bush and so on are almost as disgusted by Trump as everyone else. They're radicals. They're right-wingers and in the to liberals salient aspects agree with conservatives. But they're not conservatives.
They're partially reactionaries, partially liberals, partially fascists, and so on. And the interesting question is, what makes one specifically buy into DE or HBD, and not into regular run-of-the-mill redneck racism or oldstyle libertarianism or regular conservativism.

There's a lot going on and while it may not be the most satisfying answer, nerd identity plays a huge role. While most definitions focus on the shared interests, they're so broad that it's possible for two nerds to have almost nothing in common. I don't care about comic books, science fiction or fantasy but I'll watch movies with my friends, play games and so forth. I'm more interested in academic topics. What we do have in common is that we've been labeled nerds at some point and come to accept that identity.

For someone who was extremely isolated growing up, it's possible that they don't have any other source of identity. I brought up Schizoid disorder because one interpretation of it is that the person suffering from it has a completely shattered sense of identity. Imagine being unable to complete the sentence "I am a..." If their sole source of identity is something like the fact that they're a gamer, something that threatens it in a very real sense threatens them because without it they're nothing.

The same's true with nerds in general. If their entire sense of identity is based on being a nerd, then their entire sense of self worth is based on nerds being great. They don't identify with conservatives in general or the institutions that conservatives do like the military and aren't interested in joining such a movement. In a sense the ideology doesn't matter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Depends on whom specifically you're trying to understand right now. For example, I think somebody like Moldbug is motivated by much different things than somebody like Aurini, not to speak of Scott Alexander.

Some of which I'd have to confess I have absolutely no idea about. Big riddles.

Moldbug is partly sheer contrarianism, but to look at it charitably, some of the reverse-Whiggism could originate from anxiety about being judged by one's descendants.

I don't know a ton about Aurini, but I get the impression he's almost the opposite of Moldbug in this regard; he wants to fit in with what he considers the cool kids.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought Moorcock himself admitted that Law/chaos was largely from Poul Andersson?

Possibly, but D&D lifted it from Moorcock, establishing a string of "borrowing" the idea,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cingulate posted:

And the first thing everyone gets wrong is thinking they certainly wouldn't give the subject a 430 volt shock/defend the fake choice.

See all the ones i have met like trump. because he will burn down SJWs or some poo poo. or he will keep the "sandniggers" out. But i do think dark enlightenment stuff is a weird amalgamations of believes and not two are alike. its weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There's a lot going on and while it may not be the most satisfying answer, nerd identity plays a huge role. While most definitions focus on the shared interests, they're so broad that it's possible for two nerds to have almost nothing in common. I don't care about comic books, science fiction or fantasy but I'll watch movies with my friends, play games and so forth. I'm more interested in academic topics. What we do have in common is that we've been labeled nerds at some point and come to accept that identity.

For someone who was extremely isolated growing up, it's possible that they don't have any other source of identity. I brought up Schizoid disorder because one interpretation of it is that the person suffering from it has a completely shattered sense of identity. Imagine being unable to complete the sentence "I am a..." If their sole source of identity is something like the fact that they're a gamer, something that threatens it in a very real sense threatens them because without it they're nothing.

The same's true with nerds in general. If their entire sense of identity is based on being a nerd, then their entire sense of self worth is based on nerds being great. They don't identify with conservatives in general or the institutions that conservatives do like the military and aren't interested in joining such a movement. In a sense the ideology doesn't matter.

thats the thing. I probably sorta of identify as a "nerd"partialy but its mostly because i am into history/politics, and most of my entertainment is shows ranging from GoT to yokai watch. I also video games are one of my main hobbies,(again ranging taste) if i am not doing college classes currently. but i have never identified my self as a "gamer". But its not my entire sense of identity, that would just be sad. at the end of the day, i don't identfy my self as anything at least entirely.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

See all the ones i have met like trump. because he will burn down SJWs or some poo poo. or he will keep the "sandniggers" out. But i do think dark enlightenment stuff is a weird amalgamations of believes and not two are alike. its weird.
The common man does. The elites don't.

The DE people behave in many ways like elites (e.g., often personally atheists, or okay with homosexuality, and against military interventions), but they love Trump.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Count Chocula posted:

Yeah but the weirdness is fascinating and I'm not sure I want to go into YOSPOS to read about it:

http://www.wired.com/1994/10/extropians/

There are a ton of ideas that are incredibly specific to the time, place, and material conditions of Silicon Valley that somehow coalesced into an ideology that people took seriously, presumably because of being associated with the fastest growing companies and richest individuals around. As far as I can tell it doesn't really reduce neatly to anything preexisting, and there's probably an interesting discussion to be had about what they believe, why they believe it, and why people take them seriously.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hi my name is dickeye and this is a couple weeks late but comics are basically all i loving do so

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, so Steve Ditko is the guy behind this weird poo poo: http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/297/

one of the (almost assuredly false but with how fuckin mental ditko is i won't totally rule it out) stories about ditko bein mad at marvel in general and lee in particular is that when they revelaed that the green goblin, who late teens/early 20s gently caress up spider-man has been trouncing for years at this point, is wealthy businessman norman osborn, dikto got hella mad because there's no way this jackass kid could beat a titan of industry

like i said, almost assuredly false

but given that he was so mad at marvel that for years he was using his original art for ASM as a cutting board and wrote an insanely pedantic response to stan lee saying "i consider ditko the creator of spider-man" about how consider means its opinion and not fact, not entirely unbelievable

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean he's also a paranoid smelly nutbar who probably has a manifesto
he sends his diary with the whole AND I'LL LOOK DOWN AND WHISPER NO speech in it to the right wing newspaper, what do you think

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'll gladly identify as "nerdy as hell", so maybe it's my own bias or whatever, but I don't think nerdy is the answer. I feel like my guilt explanation matches why they are not conservative - conservatives are human beings. So are liberals and whatever, but at no point in conservatism will you ever find this incredibly anti-social, really bad aspect to it. In conservatism, it's about preserving traditions because that makes you who you are. Go watch the tradition bit in fiddler on the roof, and you'll see what I mean. The little things are all expressions of community and belonging, and it's this reason that they reject progress. It's all humanized. That kind of psychology has very little in common with DE, but they are on the same wing because a lot of the policies are the same. 'Hate on the out group', simply appeals to people who want to hate without consequence. But they are psychologically different. Conservatives can be saved, DEers can't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the thing is, its not just identifying as "nerdy as hell", it's identifying as a Nerd, making that the core of your identity. like i said, comics are basically all i do. i work in a comic shop, i read comics, i read about comics, it's a huge part of my life. but i don't internalize it and make it the core piece of who i am

a lot of these DE dipshits have made "I am a Nerd, a member of the intelligencia who is unfairly cast out from society" into the basis of who they are

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

the thing is, its not just identifying as "nerdy as hell", it's identifying as a Nerd, making that the core of your identity. like i said, comics are basically all i do. i work in a comic shop, i read comics, i read about comics, it's a huge part of my life. but i don't internalize it and make it the core piece of who i am

a lot of these DE dipshits have made "I am a Nerd, a member of the intelligencia who is unfairly cast out from society" into the basis of who they are

I feel like this about gaming, I play a shitload of videogames, like most people watch TV, it makes up more or less 90% of my recreational activity. But I don't consider it part of who I am, it's just something I do. Like sleeping in a bed. I do it but I don't consider myself part of bed-sleeping culture.

Capital G Gamers weird me out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like this about gaming, I play a shitload of videogames, like most people watch TV, it makes up more or less 90% of my recreational activity. But I don't consider it part of who I am, it's just something I do. Like sleeping in a bed. I do it but I don't consider myself part of bed-sleeping culture.

this.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

There are a large number of people who have no sense of themselves and try to assume their hobby as their primary identity.

Gaming, Sports, "Foodie", Politics, whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a bit weird to me because I don't understand what having a sense of oneself means.

Like, I am me, whatever that is, but I dunno how to define that other than tautologically. I figured everyone felt that way? I dunno how you go about identifying yourself based on something you do. Can't really understand the mental process involved.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I don't know how it happens but for a long time I identified with my work. I wasn't just "me" I was "hard-worker-who-puts-in-80hrs-a-week-manager" No work life balance to speak of. It obviously caused me some issues when I was fired. I'm over that now but I still don't understand how I and others let one part of our daily activity become our core identity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I saw any of the NRx or post-rationalist types even mention video games before Gamergate happened and they were all suddenly huge gamers standing against the invading progs.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I'm not sure I saw any of the NRx or post-rationalist types even mention video games before Gamergate happened and they were all suddenly huge gamers standing against the invading progs.

Basically members of both movements were desperate for someone, anyone to just take them seriously for five seconds that they fed into each others' insanity.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Somebody saw an opportunity to build support and went with it or alternatively they saw a threat. There's a lot of unexamined racism, sexism and homophobia in gaming to begin with because there hasn't been much pushback against it due to the uniform demographic. It's a great place to find new NRx supporters but it's not a law of nature that gamers are racist, sexist or homophobic. If gaming companies see the opportunity for serious money outside of that segment they're much more likely to listen to the people asking them to drain the metaphorical swamps. I don't know how Mark Zuckerberg would respond to the idea of every person who plays some Facebook game buying a VR headset but I wouldn't want to witness it in person.

And there'd be some backlash regardless because I think a lot of gamers fear that if everybody's a gamer then nobody will be. Every subculture has some sort of way to distinguish themselves and that wouldn't change but it's in NRx supporters' interests to talk it up like it's the end of the world.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Literally The Worst posted:

I write pen-and-paper RPGs for a living, and holy poo poo are you on the nose with this. A lot of people in my industry (and in the fanbase) all fervently believe that they are intellectual giants cast out of society for being just too smart guys for real. These are people who identify as capital-G gamers or geeks, and who have never read a book that didn't have a dragon or a spaceship in it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I write pen-and-paper RPGs for a living, and holy poo poo are you on the nose with this. A lot of people in my industry (and in the fanbase) all fervently believe that they are intellectual giants cast out of society for being just too smart guys for real. These are people who identify as capital-G gamers or geeks, and who have never read a book that didn't have a dragon or a spaceship in it.

honestly this.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I think the problem arises when people have no identity outside of a hobby, not necessarily when a hobby is part of their identity.

I mean, I'm a huge Nerd and a Gamer (both tabletop and video games), but the principal aspects of my identity come from my cultural background (Jewish), my political views/philosophy (Anarcho-Syndicalist Punk) and my spiritual beliefs (Pantheism).

I think when people lack a coherent direction for the development of their identity, they tend to latch on to their hobbies. Not a huge problem if you rock climb or draw or write, but when the hobby has the capacity to isolate you from pro-social spaces, problems can develop.

Basically, lack of cultural/conceptual identity coupled with a strong attachment to a hobby = that hobby becoming the primary identity. This can the be exploited by reactionaries such as HBD/Dark Enlightenment by "permitting" these individuals to combine their Nerd/Gamer identity with a reactionary cultural identity that they would otherwise not be inclined to embrace (Cultural Whiteness, in essence).

On a side note, I think a lot of the reason White Supremacy/HBD/Dark Enlightenment stuff is gaining steam is because it's becoming harder for more "traditionally" minded people to find positive, pro-social identity in "opressor identity sets." A lot of these people see no way to reconcile being White/Male in a way that doesn't alienate others, thus they find company with reactionaries (and/or kill people). Whether this is real or imagined, I don't know if I can say, but I feel it's also the reason mass shootings are becoming more common.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fox Ironic posted:

On a side note, I think a lot of the reason White Supremacy/HBD/Dark Enlightenment stuff is gaining steam is because it's becoming harder for more "traditionally" minded people to find positive, pro-social identity in "opressor identity sets." A lot of these people see no way to reconcile being White/Male in a way that doesn't alienate others, thus they find company with reactionaries (and/or kill people). Whether this is real or imagined, I don't know if I can say, but I feel it's also the reason mass shootings are becoming more common.

It also doesn't help that the identity of white dudes is frequently "be really angry, own every gun."

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fox Ironic posted:

Basically, lack of cultural/conceptual identity coupled with a strong attachment to a hobby = that hobby becoming the primary identity. This can the be exploited by reactionaries such as HBD/Dark Enlightenment by "permitting" these individuals to combine their Nerd/Gamer identity with a reactionary cultural identity that they would otherwise not be inclined to embrace (Cultural Whiteness, in essence).

But they clearly do have a ideological identity, it's why they didn't just dismiss DE in the first place. There had to be something already there for them to go for it. The role of cultural identity and its interplay with prejudice might be interesting, but then we're also talking about a problem generally about society and identity - eg. there are plenty of people you can find that believe only white people can be racist and, conversely, to be white is to be racist.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 14, 2016

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
Take a look at these two articles.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
This isn't new.

quote:

Because the central character in the 1946 A. E. van Vogt novel Slan was a superhumanly intelligent youth in unsympathetic surroundings, "Fans are Slans!" the unserious claim to slanhood, became a rallying cry among Third Fandom.
Fans identified with slans as a persecuted minority because of the reactions they frequently got from mundane society merely for reading that "Crazy Buck Rogers Stuff" or even reading at all – but not to the extent that they really believed fans were superhuman beings, Second Fandom's half-serious Star-Begotten claims, notwithstanding. Still, during the 1940s and '50s, when many fans were intellectual autodidacts working in blue-collar jobs, there must have been a certain comfort in thinking themselves superior to the mundanes around them.

http://fancyclopedia.wikidot.com/fans-are-slans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
you guys are overemphasizing the nerd angle, it has very little to do with new/alt right politics

• Locked thread