Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

How about, as a thread, we all watch Round Vernian Vifam? It's all on youtube, and I've heard it quite good.

I mean, just listen to the opening themesong, it owns

This is some bowie light poo poo in this theme song. I am in on this anime. Boom boom boom, add me on steam please. A Wind of hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Certain Magic cards are very very expensive, many of these cards are considered required to play certain Magic formats, many places that hold tournaments or events for said formats enforce an amount of acceptable proxies, where you can use other cards or whatever as stand ins for those very expensive cards. This is a good thing because it allows these formats to not become stagnant due to allowing new blood into the scene when normally only the super old guard or people who have thousands of dollars can play in those formats. However in recent years a company in China, one who previously specialized in high quality art forgery, has gotten all the necessary equipment (down to the exact same paper) to produce fake Magic cards with such precision that many of them will pass most checks that your average layperson can do. Because of this WotC has been coming down ultra hard on the proxy market or anyone who supports proxies of any kind (despite the fact that most proxies are usually land cards with sharpie on them and not professional forgeries from China) in an effort to control the MtG market.
Will this cause the value of my Revised dual lands to go up?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kingcom posted:

Also unsanctioned events that dont even commit to any larger metagame/competition. Proxies are just straight banned at the store lol.

So like let's say it's not even a tournament or whatever, but just two dudes sitting down for a friendly match at their FLGS and they decide to proxy a few cards. Is the store owner or whoever supposed to interrupt their friendly match that has no bearing on anything ever and tell them to stop it or get out?

Becaues if so then lmao.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Should I give Wizards of the Coast money?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only counterfeit money.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Should I give Wizards of the Coast money?

You couldnt even if you wanted to. They stopped letting new people buy subscriptions to their D&D tools too lol. Also took down their forums.

Chomp8645 posted:

So like let's say it's not even a tournament or whatever, but just two dudes sitting down for a friendly match at their FLGS and they decide to proxy a few cards. Is the store owner or whoever supposed to interrupt their friendly match that has no bearing on anything ever and tell them to stop it or get out?

Becaues if so then lmao.

Idk and Idc. I assume its a wet dream to all those turbo spergs who have a shitfit if you ask them if its cool for you to proxy an x-wing card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The sad thing is that Wizards (so far) has been much more successful at remaining the 800-pound gorilla than GW did, so it's not likely that it's going to bite them in the rear end anytime soon. You can see this in the main MTG thread where people will openly acknowledge what poo poo WOTC are and then go fire up an MTGO draft or go play in a GP.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm disappointed in how quickly the guy who ran the magic judges site put it back up.

For those not in the know: a couple weeks ago, there was a fiasco over some judges being (temp) banned by WOTC for a period of several months to a couple years for nebulously not doing enough to stop an unreleased cards leak. A leak that is the responsibility for whatever internal affairs department WOTC probably doesn't have. In solidarity, the person who runs an unofficial judge site for the infrastructure needed to even run large official MTG events closed the site down in solidarity. Then apparently put it back up after only a couple weeks instead of calling them out on their poo poo.

Let this sink in: for several years now, after WOTC closed down the official site and logistics center for the officiating body for their largest money-making card game, this necessity has been handled by a volunteer group. If this site ever stayed down for a significant amount of time, they would have no way to have enough judges for any event larger than a store prerelease.

The best part? WOTC gives these people a pittance in the form of promo cards that may not even cover the costs of travel and hotel stays. They rely on tournament organizers to compensate these poor souls, who would make more doing a minimum wage job for the weekend instead of running a tournament that requires a certain skill set.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 12, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, I guess that's what happens when you decide that in addition to making a game that you also want to help prop up a secondary economy of wizard poker cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jerry gets in trouble for posting about the reserved list policy of not reprinting high-value old cards. Fans brush away this criticism by repeating that the secondary market helps keep this game as popular as it is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Also note that WOTC are right up there near GW in terms of being legal trolls over game design. They took the makers of the Hex TCG to court because of Hex using mechanics and card designs that were similar to MTG's. Which, yeah, it did, but to place this in context, it's like GW taking someone to court over the idea of representing sci-fi combat by moving a miniature soldier a certain number of inches and then rolling dice to see how well it shoots its gun. Or taking someone to court over large pauldrons.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm.. hard to say. One one hand a legacy format or whatever that hinges on specific, rare cards for balance is probably a bad format anyway so it's hard to care one way or the other. I can understand wanting to combat forgeries however given that scarcity is their entire business model, although it sounds like that goal may be not be aided by this move anyway. But clamping down on practical proxies like like basic land stand-ins is just asinine and very much "bad" in my opinion.

Legacy is actually one of the best formats in Magic, it's super fun and you get to play with cool cards like Brainstorm, Stoneforge Mystic, and all the cool reanimator stuff you can't do in other formats because Wizards decided it was unfun.

E: It's the only format where I can play with cool magical swords so it's automatically the best format for me

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 12, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I turn, or "tap", the card sideways to represent exhaustion of this particular resource. Original mechanic do not steal

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

wdarkk posted:

Considering they're already at crazy high prices right now I doubt it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

A small surge up and then the realization that market demand is not there to keep the price up and it may actually lower if enough new cards enter the market. So...go ahead and keep gambling.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Considering they're already at crazy high prices right now I doubt it.

Black Lotus was already at a "crazy high" price 15 years ago, even if that "crazy high" was only a fraction of this crazy high. It's like different cardinalities of infinity and that one brainteaser about an infinitely large hotel. There's always room for the crazy to go up.

To once again put it in this thread's language, terminators were already crazy overpriced at $50 for 5.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I won't be satisfied until my extra revised edition underground seas are worth a PS4 each. :mad:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wouldn't it be better if WoTC was handling legacy with the same grace and meticulous planning as Standard or Modern, or MTGO or Magic Duels?

It's the future we all want!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

JerryLee posted:

Black Lotus was already at a "crazy high" price 15 years ago, even if that "crazy high" was only a fraction of this crazy high. It's like different cardinalities of infinity and that one brainteaser about an infinitely large hotel. There's always room for the crazy to go up.

To once again put it in this thread's language, terminators were already crazy overpriced at $50 for 5.

I just looked that up, holy poo poo the non-tournament-legal collectors edition versions are going for more than the real ones used to :stare:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JerryLee posted:

This is fair, but they just had a fairly rapid price surge due to recent-ish tournament popularity and have dropped a little bit since then so I'd say if you're not planning on holding on to them for a long-ish time now is an OK time to sell your Revised dual lands. I mean, ideally you would have sold them a little bit back when they were at crazy prices but you can't have everything.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Alright, everybody. The GW Death thread Vifam watch starts tomorrow. I know we've got people from all sorts of time zones here so there's no specific time. Just watch the first episode of Round Vernian Vifam sometime tomorrow, and post your reaction in this thread.

Here's the Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9loAdx3LYU

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 12, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

This is fair, but they just had a fairly rapid price surge due to recent-ish tournament popularity and have dropped a little bit since then so I'd say if you're not planning on holding on to them for a long-ish time now is an OK time to sell your Revised dual lands. I mean, ideally you would have sold them a little bit back when they were at crazy prices but you can't have everything.

Well, that's also perfectly fair, it just wasn't what you said originally. :v: I agree that this is a perfectly valid time to get out of MTG (or at least the cards that aren't budget casual poo poo) if you want to; you can always hold it in anticipation of it going up further but if you ride the ~*~investment value~*~ of your cardboard too zealously then you're basically becoming the monster that you were fighting

e: general you in my second sentence obviously

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Need a good laugh? Of course you do!

Poll: How much money have you spent on AoS?

quote:

0: 56% [ 272 ] ( :unsmith: )
$1-100: 12% [ 60 ]
$101-150: 5% [ 23 ]
$151-250 : 5% [ 25 ]
$251-500: 10% [ 47 ]
$501-$1000: 8% [ 40 ]
Greater than $1000: 5% [ 23 ] ( :stare: )
Total Votes : 490

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

So GW sold at least 23 of those Chaos Castle things I guess

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Alright, everybody. The GW Death thread Vifam watch starts tomorrow.

WORST

GIMMICK

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
GW's financials are supposed to come out today right?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Pash posted:

GW's financials are supposed to come out today right?

No matter what they'll be great as long as you factor in the strength of the apodfispdfsd;flakdsf;jsdlfkja;

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
“We have made some good progress on our strategic initiatives all focused on delivering long term
growth. Whilst we are disappointed with the decline in return on capital reported in the period, we are
all confident that we are focused on delivering the necessary changes to address this decline.
In the period we launched some great new products and our new visitor centre has performed well.
December sales were below expectations across the Group. At this stage in the Company’s financial
year, the Company’s internal projections indicate that pre-tax profit for the year to 29 May 2016 is
unlikely to exceed £16 million. A further update will be made when appropriate. “
…Ends…

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2015-16-Press-Statement.pdf

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sir Teabag posted:

“We have made some good progress on our strategic initiatives all focused on delivering long term
growth. Whilst we are disappointed with the decline in return on capital reported in the period, we are
all confident that we are focused on delivering the necessary changes to address this decline.
In the period we launched some great new products and our new visitor centre has performed well.
December sales were below expectations across the Group. At this stage in the Company’s financial
year, the Company’s internal projections indicate that pre-tax profit for the year to 29 May 2016 is
unlikely to exceed £16 million. A further update will be made when appropriate. “
…Ends…

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2015-16-Press-Statement.pdf

"Everything is fine! This is all a long term plan! Pay no attention to how we're missing all our sales expectations. Have you tried Age of Sigmar? Please, for the love of God, try Age of Sigmar. We put naked dwarves in it!"

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

"Everything is fine! This is all a long term plan! Pay no attention to how we're missing all our sales expectations. Have you tried Age of Sigmar? Please, for the love of God, try Age of Sigmar. We put naked dwarves in it!"

Kevin Rountree posted:

The greatest risk is the same one that we repeat each year, namely, management. So long as we have great people we will be fine. Problems will arise if the board allows egos and private agendas to rule. I will do my utmost to ensure that this does not happen.

"God drat store managers, I will whip them harder myself if they don't sell our naked amorphous Duardin FYRES....something something."

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 12, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sir Teabag posted:

…Ends…

Thats not as bad as I thought it would be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are their employees' salaries still frozen?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Would love to see the results of a government audit of GW.

To be fair I'm sure 95% of it is above the board but every company has some financial skeletons in the closet, and I have a feeling GW is probably really bad about hiding theirs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
...we are all confident that we are focused on delivering the necessary changes to address this decline.

In the period we launched some great new products...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Night10194 posted:

Are their employees' salaries still frozen?

For reals, are they still not even getting cost of living increases?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Aren't they frozen for the year (as in until April)- and then they'll get a below RPI increase, *IF* sales targets have been met, which so far they haven't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll be delving into the report in detail, but just for the moment (since that might not be for a few hours): keep in mind that declining profitability is still profitability. GW won't be in real trouble until they're actually losing money, to the point where they can't pay a dividend. That is still a long way off.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Drone posted:

Would love to see the results of a government audit of GW.

To be fair I'm sure 95% of it is above the board but every company has some financial skeletons in the closet, and I have a feeling GW is probably really bad about hiding theirs.

Unless you count the ethics of whatever the thing is with paying Kirby's wife('s company?), or really small potatoes stuff like putting up an unapproved statue, I don't know if I've ever caught even a hint of of GW doing something that would be considered illegal. making GBS threads on your customers and horribly bungling a trad games property in search of a short term payday should be considered horribly unethical by everyone, but :capitalism:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 12, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

I'll be delving into the report in detail, but just for the moment (since that might not be for a few hours): keep in mind that declining profitability is still profitability. GW won't be in real trouble until they're actually losing money, to the point where they can't pay a dividend. That is still a long way off.

Sure, but hasn't their profitability been declining for a couple years now? They're not in imminent danger but they've been on a bad trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bad Moon posted:

For reals, are they still not even getting cost of living increases?

It will be looked at in June.

• Locked thread