Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm weeping for my poor boy Antonio. Oh how they have harmed you, you sweet blameless child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

I for one can't believe a player with a documented history of trying to injure people got suspended for multiple games for knocking one of the premier young stars in the league unconscious with a vicious illegal hit

Who exactly are you arguing with that thinks he doesn't deserve a suspension

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Probably the people that think he's just getting picked on because it was a prime time game

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Probably the people that think he's just getting picked on because it was a prime time game

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Let me start by saying, I can't believe you loving assholes who think Vontaze actually deserves a raise in salary for what he's done. You know who you are. And if you don't know who you are then I guess maybe you just want some messed-up-brained concussion buddies and in that case I understand your viewpoint. good day

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hitting big ben probably does trigger incentive clauses in some contracts and if not it should, imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cavauro posted:

Let me start by saying, I can't believe you loving assholes who think Vontaze actually deserves a raise in salary for what he's done. You know who you are. And if you don't know who you are then I guess maybe you just want some messed-up-brained concussion buddies and in that case I understand your viewpoint. good day

Is this a quote?:confused:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Forgot to attribute it

Chichevache posted:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't mind the suspension but man this is really unprecedented I don't know I guess I'm ok with it but Shazier should be punished too geez do you suppose this is just because of the twitter outrage? What's Shazier's punishment going to be?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

imagine if the NFL allowed legal bounties as long as the bounty involved big ben

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
shame on all of you for wanting to take Burfict's livelihood away. he needs the paychecks to support that little dog. do you want to see that dog starving and homeless??????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

I don't mind the suspension but man this is really unprecedented I don't know I guess I'm ok with it but Shazier should be punished too geez do you suppose this is just because of the twitter outrage? What's Shazier's punishment going to be?

I think the NFL still sees Shaziers hit as legal because the rules are loving retarded.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Had it been called, that would have been Shazier's second penalty in his career, as opposed to Burfict's eighth of the season, which - and I'm no big city lawyer - might be a clue as to why one will only be fined and the other suspended.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your feelings on the Shazier hit shouldn't affect how Burfict's hit should be punished one way or the other if you actually care about player safety. If you want to argue Shazier's hit deserves a suspension that's fine, I won't begrudge that. But then you also shouldn't have people writing long feelposts about how terrible it felt to come to the cold realization that the NFL doesn't actually care about safety

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

if you're going to go after my posts quote me instead of this passive aggressive bullshit but yes, i do hope shazier gets fined, and yes, it is unprecedented that a guy gets 3 games for on the field stuff, you seem to be imagining a bunch of posts where im trying to say he did nothing wrong

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's not just you for one thing, and it was also in response to Cavauro's HILARIOUS representation which I thought was obvious but :shrug:

Also please find the post where I say "Bengals fans think he did nothing wrong"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol

FACE ME LIKE A MAN INTRUDER

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TWO MEN ENTER

Two men also leave because jesus who's going to kill a guy over an internet post

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Burfict should get a game suspension just like Harrison did. If he keeps doing it after the suspension then he should get 4, then 8, then a season and so on. I think going from 0 suspensions to 3 games is really weird and does actually smell like media relations poo poo.

I also still don't think he intentionally hit him in the head but that it doesn't really matter what the intent was.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

TWO MEN ENTER

Two men also leave because jesus who's going to kill a guy over an internet post

ill freaking kill you!!!! ahhhhhhhh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Goetta posted:

I also still don't think he intentionally hit him in the head but that it doesn't really matter what the intent was.

Sorry, this is where you lose me. It looked pretty intentional, and I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on much of anything after what he tried to do to Cam last year. Plus you can kind of infer his intent based on the fact that he was so fired up after the Shazier hit

I also disagree with anyone discounting it based on the idea that it's all about public perception. Even if that were true, so what? Oh no we're punishing dangerous play for the wrong reasons! If not for PR reasons, there would probably still be "JAKD UP!" replays on Sportscenter every week featuring the most bonecrushingly brain damage inducing helmet to helmet hits

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

My tum tum is not doing so well for causing some friction between sweet boys. Karma's a bitch

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Goetta posted:

Burfict should get a game suspension just like Harrison did. If he keeps doing it after the suspension then he should get 4, then 8, then a season and so on. I think going from 0 suspensions to 3 games is really weird and does actually smell like media relations poo poo.

This is the best solution but I really don't think it's media relations. He's had so many instances that you almost need to suspend him big time. Lots of their punishment work that way. Look at Dion Jordan. From 3 games to entire season.

Hopefully he changes for you guys, but I remember a lot of chatter in his draft days about teams taking him off for character concerns.

Pac Man deserves no more benefit though. Goddamn is he a hot head/liability

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm fine with the suspension.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pacman claiming AB was faking and deserves a Grammy was the highlight of the whole spectacle IMO

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

ill freaking kill you!!!! ahhhhhhhh

sup vontaze

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

Pacman claiming AB was faking and deserves a Grammy was the highlight of the whole spectacle IMO

Close second, but I still liked the alleged wink more.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Goetta posted:

He intentionally hurts people sometimes

No intent can be proven but Bell, Ben, and Brown were all hurt by him, kind of a trifecta

That probably just happened because he's so good at football though, not related to his actual proven pattern of malicious behavior

Oh wait I'm not a rube

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621080/article/marvin-lewis-vontaze-burfict-didnt-go-over-the-edge

quote:

Coming out of Saturday night's epic meltdown against the Steelers, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis on Monday stuck up for the play of linebacker Vontaze Burfict and cornerback Adam Jones.

Burfict was suspended the first three games of the 2016 season by the NFL on Monday for "repeated violations of safety-related playing rules" after his hit on Antonio Brown in the closing seconds of Bengals' 18-16 wild-card loss resulted in an unnecessary roughness penalty. Jones drew a personal-foul call after getting into a confrontation with Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter a short time later.

"Both players couldn't be more heartbroken, literally to tears, both of them, about what went on," said Lewis, who was speaking to reporters before Burfict's suspension was announced. "That's the first step, you know what I mean? To realize, 'You know what? I'm wrong. And it's unfortunate.'

Burfict, whose hit on Brown left the Steelers receiver concussed, is appealing his three-game suspension. Lewis doesn't believe Burfict went too far with his hit.

"It didn't go over the edge," Lewis said of Burfict's hit. "Unfortunately, he can't have that kind of blow with a guy that's receiving a pass. It didn't go over the edge."

Emphasized Lewis: "I don't think it's over the line, I think it's part of what football is now. And you have to learn to play within the scope of what football is right now."

Burfict is known league-wide as a titanic hitter who, in the eyes of many, has crossed the line multiple times. Lewis asked reporters to consider the linebacker's entire body of work.

"He's had three penalties ... for (unnecessary roughness)," Lewis said. "One, the guy pushed him back, was told, 'You know what, we probably missed it. He was not the initiator.' And he pushed a guy from St. Louis in the back on a screen play, you know, right there at the ball. Again, so ... let's understand it and let's judge the body of work."

Reflecting on a playoff tilt that took on a grim and violent tone near the end, Lewis said of his team: "We walked away a bunch. But we have to continue to walk away."

Lewis was criticized by some of his own players after the game for allowing the contest to get out of hand, but he argued that "once they go across that line, there's not much I can do from there, unless I go out on the field, which I'm not allowed to."

Said Lewis: "Unfortunately, I think sometimes we earn some reputations and we got to eliminate that by continuing to play well within the rules."

:confused:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intruder posted:

I feel it should not be ignored that the guy who says AB was faking is the same guy who said Joey Porter started it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fsif posted:

Close second, but I still liked the alleged wink more.

I dunno, the Grammy part really pushes it over the top

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Goetta posted:

It's gonna be reduced to 2. I mean, we all know the NFL is wildly inconsistent with suspensions. Seriously, Le'Veon was suspended for 3 games for weed, reduced to 2

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marvin Lewis is an idiot, surprising no one.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
I wish it were possible to get more games tacked into a suspension if you fail the appeal. A good ol' "gently caress you for even trying".

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mughe posted:

I wish it were possible to get more games tacked into a suspension if you fail the appeal. A good ol' "gently caress you for even trying".

This is how my dad tries to haggle with shopkeepers

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Moxie posted:

No intent can be proven but Bell, Ben, and Brown were all hurt by him, kind of a trifecta

That probably just happened because he's so good at football though, not related to his actual proven pattern of malicious behavior

Oh wait I'm not a rube

Can you really attribute malice to the hit on Bell?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mughe posted:

Bust a deal, spin the wheel

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Imagine next year's Bengals/Steelers games lmfao

Imagine this year's lmfao

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Moxie posted:

Oh wait I'm not a rube

He hurt Ben and Bell on normal tackles but whatever it is like trying argue on Reddit or something at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Goetta posted:

He hurt Ben and Bell on normal tackles but whatever it is like trying argue on Reddit or something at this point

If you injure all three star players of your rival in a single season, including the QB twice, while also getting 5 sanctions you have lost the benefit of the doubt.

• Locked thread