Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Why doesn't this game have the greatest shithot smuggling missions be only possible if you can only avoid, say, the imperial authorities if you swing by dangerous black holes to do the run in under 12 parsecs??

Then when multi-crew ships and character customization comes in you can have your co-pilot put all the hair sliders all the way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mpyro posted:

Have a link to your loadout please?
Here's a slightly improved version. It's also showing the upper limits of this fit-out so there's some flourishes that aren't really needed (a turret :v:) but can come in handy.

I'm sure there's room for improvement such as dropping the thrusters and distributors from an A to a D - I have them there so you get some semblance of speed and a chance to boost away twice in the hopes you somehow can haul 730 tons of rear end before getting scanned.

If you hate landing you can swap out the 2E cargo for a docking computer or a 4T fuel tank to squeeze past the cluster of brown stars on the trip.
However there's usually a fuel star off the beaten track you can pull into if you get low.

The burst laser isn't there to win you any battles, it's there to shoot and scoot. I was testing out the turret on there to get around the hassle of trying to line up faster ships.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Man, the Vulture owns. For PvE in a RES, you can easily solo anything by just sticking behind the Anaconda/Python/FDL/whatever and shooting out the power plant. They're still not any trouble, but Imperial Clippers are actually the most dangerous, just because they can turn enough to actually get some shots off (though with bi-weave shields, two A shield boosters, and a bunch of hull reinforcements, you can weather some fire just fine). Not sure if the next step up (FDL? FAS?) is going to really be an upgrade for this particular use case, since I assume you take a lot more fire with the loss in maneuverability. I guess maybe higher risk/higher reward, as you melt stuff quicker but might actually die once in a while.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
If anything, my FAS handles better than my Vulture did. Haven't even got B class thrusters in it yet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

RVProfootballer posted:

Man, the Vulture owns. For PvE in a RES, you can easily solo anything by just sticking behind the Anaconda/Python/FDL/whatever and shooting out the power plant. They're still not any trouble, but Imperial Clippers are actually the most dangerous, just because they can turn enough to actually get some shots off (though with bi-weave shields, two A shield boosters, and a bunch of hull reinforcements, you can weather some fire just fine). Not sure if the next step up (FDL? FAS?) is going to really be an upgrade for this particular use case, since I assume you take a lot more fire with the loss in maneuverability. I guess maybe higher risk/higher reward, as you melt stuff quicker but might actually die once in a while.

I actually find clippers the easiest to manage. The Federation ships are the only ones that have given me any trouble. Clippers are just so easy as you can easily see where the guns are. Not to mention the pulse lasers just eat the power plant like it was nothing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What type of weapons are people using on a FAS with its hardpoint distribution? Kinda want to try two large rail guns so I can just go boom when pull the trigger.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Libluini posted:

On the other side, if you take A-rank scanners, you will outrange your own weapons quite often by a silly margin. There were many cases where I pumped tons of ammunition and weapons energy into the dark empty void, without ever doing any damage. I kept wondering why all those easy shots kept missing. :shepface:

Even with E-class scanners, firing when the target is at the edge of the targeting range is a good way to miss by a mile with kinetic weapons, or do piddling damage with laser weapons (and gimballed ones will still miss a bunch at that range). Instead of foregoing one of the better QoL improvements in the game (detecting targets in a larger area without flying in big circles), just discipline yourself and engage at a sensible range instead of targeting something 7km away and trying to hit it with the world's luckiest plasma or whatever.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I found a star system that's got three stars in it!

Two of them are close enough together that when you jump into the system you can get a detailed surface scan on both of them. If I'd had my all my stuff turned on I might've been cooked when I jumped in. This game might be better than ftl.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

What type of weapons are people using on a FAS with its hardpoint distribution? Kinda want to try two large rail guns so I can just go boom when pull the trigger.

This is my setup and it very satisfyingly tears poo poo apart.

As for railguns, they only come in small or medium (i.e. class 1 and class 2), so you could run two medium railguns and then two large whatevers.

RVProfootballer posted:

The FAS is basically a bigger, meaner Vulture that trades excellent shields for excellent armor. I love the Vulture and used it basically nonstop from its release until a month ago, when I tried a FAS, and I can't go back. If you love the Vulture then you will love the FAS.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Check out these gas giants!

They and their respective moon systems orbit about a mutual barycenter, which in turn orbits the barycenter of the parent star system!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm really enjoying the Vulture (that I've had for two days), but man it sure makes lots of strange noises.

Anyone care to post their best RES hunting (i.e. carebear PVE) build for a Vulture?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

The Locator posted:

I'm really enjoying the Vulture (that I've had for two days), but man it sure makes lots of strange noises.

You mean that electronic fluttering sound that was seemingly ripped straight from the intro to Pink Floyd - Breathe? Still better than the Viper's constant sputtering like it's always about to backfire.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

Anyone care to post their best RES hunting (i.e. carebear PVE) build for a Vulture?

You can't really go wrong with a "common sense" Vulture build. Basically just slap on whatever two C3 weapons you want (dual pulses is the Boring But Reliable build, beam/cannon or beam/frag mixes it up a little, etc.) and upgrade the stuff that always makes sense to upgrade.

The only tricky thing about it is power requirements, as its plant is a bit small. When you start A-classing stuff, I'd suggest using http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/ to mess with potential loadouts so you can gently caress with the power priorities and get everything where you want before you buy.

I like bi-weave shields on it, as you can still get well over 400mj of shields with a few boosters, which is comparable to a Python with BW and some boosters. Slap on some hull reinforcement to tide you over when your shields are down.

e: This is my build. It's a little risky because the FSD goes down with hardpoints deployed, so it'll take time to boot up if I need to run away, but getting into PvE trouble in a Vulture isn't an issue unless you do something reeeaaallly reckless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

timn posted:

You mean that electronic fluttering sound that was seemingly ripped straight from the intro to Pink Floyd - Breathe? Still better than the Viper's constant sputtering like it's always about to backfire.

Just all kinds of noises. On acceleration, on slowdown, and when boosting it sounds like an old farm truck trying to rattle itself to bits. It's kind of hilarious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shine posted:

You can't really go wrong with a "common sense" Vulture build. Basically just slap on whatever two C3 weapons you want (dual pulses is the Boring But Reliable build, beam/cannon or beam/frag mixes it up a little, etc.) and upgrade the stuff that always makes sense to upgrade.

The only tricky thing about it is power requirements, as its plant is a bit small. When you start A-classing stuff, I'd suggest using http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/ to mess with potential loadouts so you can gently caress with the power priorities and get everything where you want before you buy.

I like bi-weave shields on it, as you can still get well over 400mj of shields with a few boosters, which is comparable to a Python with BW and some boosters. Slap on some hull reinforcement to tide you over when your shields are down.

e: This is my build. It's a little risky because the FSD goes down with hardpoints deployed, so it'll take time to boot up if I need to run away, but getting into PvE trouble in a Vulture isn't an issue unless you do something reeeaaallly reckless.

Ok, I guess I'm not missing some secret sauce then. This is my current outfitting:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e00030n03B22b272524.Iw19kA==.CwBhwJjEEYYiBmRNimEA?bn=Current%20Vulture

I do plan to replace the point defense or a chaff launcher with a shield booster, but 2 shield boosters goes over power enough that things start shutting off, and I'm still not confident enough to deal with power management like that yet. I did it briefly and almost killed myself fumbling around trying to get the right things turned on. I'll go down that road eventually though I suppose.

I also considered a beam/cannon or beam/frag arrangement, but for RES hunting I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the ammunition.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I took a little trip out to Barnard's Loop last night powered by David Bowie's discography and gin.

It's pretty out there.

On the way back, near the Witch Head Nebula:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

If you're going to run no shields and rails, I assume you're building a player killer? Either way, grab a couple heat sinks and fill your hold with HRPs. they'll boost your armor to ludicrous levels when paired with military armor.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Shine posted:

This looks like fun. Going to shamelessly copy this build after a few million more credits. Thanks for sharing.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Shine posted:

Is there more to flight performance from thrusters than the difference between ship mass and the optimal mass? It looks like you could drop to D and gain jump range and enough power to get the FSD running and still be nowhere near optimal but I have no idea if D just plain turns worse than A or something.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
So I got interested into playing this game after one year, got Horizons, started a new game and now I have a c specced viper and a hauler (will probably trade the hauler for an adder as soon as I make some money to get some good class modules).

My questions are: I always fly with FA off, probably because it gave me problems when I did landings last year and never bothered to turn it on, should I give flight assist a second chance?

If I partially scan a system with the base scanner and then I go back and scan the various planets or find new stars, can I sell the new cartographic data? (Why did they tie some missions to explorer rank, why?)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have purchased a Cobra Mk. IV. It's a terrible ship.

It's slower than a hauler. Seriously, a stock hauler is FASTER than the Mk. IV. You can at least get fined for speeding in a hauler if you keep your landing gear down and slowly trudge out of a mailslot. Not so in the Cobra Mk. IV. You don't break 100 with the gear down at stock.

It feels really sluggish. Even when I used A rank thrusters it still felt slow at manoeuvring. Don't use A rank thrusters on the Mk. IV. Stick to D. Better yet, stick with the Cobra Mk. III.

It's so disappointing for the price it costs. Thankfully you didn't get a free one or you would complain on how terrible the ship is.

I bought it for one reason. It does make for a good, cheap mining vessel that can defend itself a bit if things go down. The cargo space isn't bad, and with bi-weave shields I have 48T of cargo. Yes, I could get more cargo but I am terrible at flying sometimes and hitting things that will cause me to explode is not what I want. Or if I get interdicted with a hold full of precious mining goods I don't want them to just shoot me dead because it's so slow. I can at least shoot them back.

It would be better if they didn't give it the Cobra title, and called it something else. It's not a sidegrade of the cobra, it's a flat out downgrade.

But mining on the other hand is strangely relaxing. Sitting there with soft music going just seeing your cargo fill up with palladium or gold or other precious materials is really nice. If only I knew when I started that limpets take up cargo space.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

I also considered a beam/cannon or beam/frag arrangement, but for RES hunting I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the ammunition.

Dual pulse build has worked well since forever. Two C3 pulses will tear things down much faster than what you'd have on an Eagle or whatever. With beam/cannon, ammo conservation isn't as bad as you might think. In practice you can kill small stuff (smaller than Asp) with just the beam, with maybe a cannon or two on a Cobra if you're impatient, and save the bulk of the cannon shots for your FdL's and such. You get 100 shots, and since they fire pretty slowly they will last a decent while. Also, the *thwump* of a cannon impact is incredibly satisfying; one of my favorite sound effects in the game.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

magic mountain posted:

Is there more to flight performance from thrusters than the difference between ship mass and the optimal mass? It looks like you could drop to D and gain jump range and enough power to get the FSD running and still be nowhere near optimal but I have no idea if D just plain turns worse than A or something.
The breakpoint for maneuverability seems to be around 50% of "optimal" mass. That's part of what makes the Vulture so good, with 5A thrusters you have to specifically try to make your ship as heavy as possible in order to hit that point. 5D thrusters will throw that out the window and also be flat-out worse on top of it, not just in maneuverability but also in acceleration and top speed.

It'll still be good (I had a really dumb dual-beam build using 5C thrusters for a while), but if you're making that kind of compromise you might as well just ditch the beam for a pair of pulses and B-rate one of the shield boosters instead.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Something is melting on my system...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeu1Pijke8

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Two of them are close enough together that when you jump into the system you can get a detailed surface scan on both of them. If I'd had my all my stuff turned on I might've been cooked when I jumped in. This game might be better than ftl.

Edit: When you come out of witch space.. you're in the middle of all three.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 12, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

Ok, I guess I'm not missing some secret sauce then. This is my current outfitting:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e00030n03B22b272524.Iw19kA==.CwBhwJjEEYYiBmRNimEA?bn=Current%20Vulture

I do plan to replace the point defense or a chaff launcher with a shield booster, but 2 shield boosters goes over power enough that things start shutting off, and I'm still not confident enough to deal with power management like that yet. I did it briefly and almost killed myself fumbling around trying to get the right things turned on. I'll go down that road eventually though I suppose.

Turn off your cargo hatch to save a few percent. I don't fiddle with any power settings, aside from always having the hatch off, and can fit two A shield boosters. Currently using: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3C5A4C3C1e1e-040m04B22b272525.AwRj4zyA.CwBhwJjEEYYiBmRNimEA?bn=Current%20Vulture

E: Except I feel like either something is slightly off in Coriolis or I'm forgetting something, because I think I stuck with B thrusters because A were both a bit too much for my wallet at the moment and more importantly pushed the power usage just over 100%. Not sure, but in any case, turn off the hatch and enjoy a super tanky Vulture!

E2: Oh yeah, pretty sure I have a better FSD on right now because I was moving around to find a nice system. Think I have a C or B FSD, so dropping that down will make the A thrusters a-ok.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 12, 2016

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I love how Stellar Forge includes factors like habitability zones based on the temperature and radius of the star and planetary formation models but doesn't consider really basic things like Roche limits (aka "this stuff is so close it'd be ripped apart by tidal forces")

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I love how Stellar Forge includes factors like habitability zones based on the temperature and radius of the star and planetary formation models but doesn't consider really basic things like Roche limits (aka "this stuff is so close it'd be ripped apart by tidal forces")

Eh, I'm still impressed that Stellar Forge is even a thing. I grew up with space games where you were lucky if the devs remembered the difference between stars and planets.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hoo boy, getting your canopy shot out is some freaky poo poo. Luckily there was a station right next to the RES but jeez, I need to pick fights with less difficult NPCs.

I remembered the name of the system: Qa'Wakana. It's a pretty decent one and close to goon space.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wozbo posted:

I'm like 95% sure this is exploit territory and don't wanna touch Robigo until it is fixed.
The video in that post says the exploit has been patched out.

DreadLlama posted:

Just wait until the galaxy decides to give you a wake-up call:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Libluini posted:

Eh, I'm still impressed that Stellar Forge is even a thing. I grew up with space games where you were lucky if the devs remembered the difference between stars and planets.

Oh sure, it's light-years (heh) ahead of anything else in videogames, and I love it for even trying to be accurate. The closest other program is Space Engine, and that's hardly a videogame.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Oh sure, it's light-years (heh) ahead of anything else in videogames, and I love it for even trying to be accurate. The closest other program is Space Engine, and that's hardly a videogame.

Yeah, but too much accuracy can lead to weird inconsistencies, too. What if we suddenly find out something new and major? Frontier would suddenly need to rewrite their engine or just suck it up with their fake science. So I don't sweat small details like Roche limits. Would be embarassing otherwise, if we find some real world objects steadfastly resisting tidal forces in the future. :v:

Oh I just had a thought: Since we can't possibly know everything about the galaxy, for all we know the Milkyway could be full of advanced alien civilizations. Would be funny if we ever make contact and some of those aliens live were Frontier has planned their own fake aliens to live. :v:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hoo boy, getting your canopy shot out is some freaky poo poo. Luckily there was a station right next to the RES but jeez, I need to pick fights with less difficult NPCs.

I remembered the name of the system: Qa'Wakana. It's a pretty decent one and close to goon space.

It can make for fun times :) First time it happened to me, I had a Pythons NPC down to ~20% hull, so I wasn't going to give up the bounty. But the entire front of the canopy was blown out, so I had no targeting reticle or anything and was super confused for a bit about why the Python kept getting untargeted, hah. Finished him up with like 3 minutes of air left, but the station in that system was really far out. So I jumped to an adjacent system with an outpost really close to the star, get in, and get air refilled with a minute left (but whoops no repair facilities :v:). Supercruising using only the little "keep the dot in the center" thing in the bottom left was a little nerve-wracking too; if I overshot, I wasn't sure I had enough time to correct.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Eh, any astronomical physics that would be modeled ingame are very unlikely to change anytime soon- stuff like Roche limits are grounded in very basic physical principles and things like the rigidity of the body in question. For stars, you'd probably have mass accretion instead.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Luneshot posted:

Eh, any astronomical physics that would be modeled ingame are very unlikely to change anytime soon- stuff like Roche limits are grounded in very basic physical principles and things like the rigidity of the body in question. For stars, you'd probably have mass accretion instead.

Fluidic Roche Limits; they're slightly different because they operate on gaseous bodies and flex a lot more. Stars tend to be a lot more diffuse and less dense than planets and satellites. Mass transfer happens like that; accretion is more the slow process of gathering mass.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've just picked up elite dangerous and I'm having a really hard time getting started. Are there any newbie guides that I should check out? I've not completed a single combat mission yet because I'm dumb and can't work anything out.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've just picked up elite dangerous and I'm having a really hard time getting started. Are there any newbie guides that I should check out? I've not completed a single combat mission yet because I'm dumb and can't work anything out.

Did you do the tutorial missions?

Don't skip those, at least not the combat, docking or FSD tutorials. Those are your best "getting started" guide. From there it's Robigo, rares, bounty hunting and exploration.

You can peek at this guide for some RES hunting ideas once you've got the hang of your ship.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Generally the only tutorial missions you want to skip are the combat gauntlet ones. The rest really are the best thing for getting you used to doing stuff and figuring out your control scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I just started two weeks ago so I know exactly what your talking about. With a sidewinder, 1,000 credits in your pocket, and not much experience your not going to accomplish much. The way to get yourself started so you can actually start completeing missions is to find a orbital platform type station with a black market. After that look for weak signal sources; They'll either have super weak pirates that you can easily kill for a bounty, or illegal salvage cannisters that you can sell on the black market. Once you 7-10k credits in your pocket you won't have to worry about fuel and repair costs so you can start doing low level trade missions. Don't bother trying to do combat missions till you have the credits to buy and upgrade an Eagle a bit.

• Locked thread