Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Devian666 posted:

This mystifies me. I've gotten pretty accustomed to people having a high (BWM) turnover of cars in the US. In New Zealand the average car age is 14-15 years and we import a lot of second hand cars. Why is there an obsession in the US with selling perfectly good vehicles all the time?

We have factories that make cars, instead of importing them thousands of miles across the ocean to an island with a couple million people. That brings the cost of a new one down a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

flynt posted:

An average age of 14-15 years is so foreign to me. My car is 13 years old and I've got plenty of people asking why I don't get a newer one. Like I personally can't think of any adult that I know with an older car than mine. Does everyone in New Zealand buy Singapore's cars once they turn 10 and have to leave the island?

Phone knows where things are at. We import huge amounts of Japanese cars. The older the car the higher the annual tax on it (in Japan). So we get them dirt cheap and use them until they are dead.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 12, 2016

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Drive around a working class neighborhood and most cars you see will be 10-15 years old. In rural areas away from metro areas, it's not uncommon to see cars from the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, I work with a lot of BWM people and that's probably skewing my perspective a lot. Lately so many people have been talking about how they plan on buying a new car once they finish their loan payments.

A recent BWM conversation I overheard at work: One of my coworkers was telling people he finally paid off his 401k loan so he was going to get an extra 70$ a paycheck. Another coworker told him that it wasn't great because now he was going to start getting taxed on that money. First coworker said yeah it sucks but it's not too bad because he checked and it's not going to bump him up to the next tax bracket...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I live in Portland, Oregon, and there are so many people who BUY USED CARS ONLY that there isn't any actual savings when you buy used.

My 2016 Subaru cost $3,500 more than the same lot's 2012 with 40,000 miles on it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I live in Portland, Oregon, and there are so many people who BUY USED CARS ONLY that there isn't any actual savings when you buy used.

My 2016 Subaru cost $3,500 more than the same lot's 2012 with 40,000 miles on it.

Same poo poo in Seattle for used economy cars like Civics and poo poo, and especially anything Subaru. I don't get it. Who the hell is buying 3 year old used cars with like 30-50k miles on them for 90%+ the value of a new one? Especially when Subarus only come with a 3 year warranty...

Are people really so dumb about the "only ever buy a used Honda/Toyota/Subaru it's good with money :pseudo:" mantra that they don't even look at what a new one costs, or is there something else going on?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm car shopping in Portland right now and I've given up. It's especially bad for popular models like Subaru and Volvo. I've started looking in Cali where my last used car came from.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For BWM: My parents keep asking me [23] for money (recently for $14k): wat do reddit?

quote:

I am a recent college graduate, currently making $90,000/year. I went to school on a full scholarship, so I don't have any student loans and am able to save a lot of my money every month.
Anyways, ever since I've started working, my parents have been asking me for money like I am some sort of personal bank account or charity. I live at home (which sort of complicates this), but I give them $1,000 every month to help out with the mortgage (which they, my parents and the financial loan guy, tricked me into co-signing)...
To date, I've already given them about $30,000 (which includes the monthly $1,000 but also for random stuff like $4,000 in home improvements, which we didn't need, $2,000 car insurance for our entire family, and $2,000 for my younger brother's tuition).
The other day, my parents asked to borrow $14,000. My dad said that this is a debt he owes my uncle. My uncle, who wasn't a citizen or whatever, couldn't open a bank account a long time ago, so he just gave it to my dad to hold onto, and was like "yeah, feel free to borrow it and use it, I'm in no hurry or anything".
But here's the weird part, he says that my uncle is trying to "fake" marry this one lady from overseas, so she can become a citizen. She is going to pay someone $30,000 to take part in this fake arrangement. This is why he needs the money now.
None of this even makes any sense. How can my uncle even marry this woman and make her a citizen if he's not even a citizen himself, which is why my dad was holding his money in the first place? Plus, she's the one that needs someone to marry and is the one paying, so why does my uncle need to come up with $14,000?
It's just so crazy, and I'm sure there's a lot they're not telling me, but in any case, I don't want to get involved in this (seemingly) illegal mess, and categorically, do not want to give them this money. I don't want this thing to be a rift between me and my parents (i.e. constantly asking them if they will pay me back and when).
My parents keep guilt tripping me, saying that I don't love them and I don't understand and how much they've done for me in the past, and are saying that "I'm not doing anything with money" and it's just sitting there (as if they're in my head and know my future plans).
They were saying how they were going to pay me back over time, and I'm just like "just exactly, how are you just going to randomly come up with $14,000"... when they barely make a surplus after every month (after expenses for my younger siblings and house).

First comment is someone looking at his post history, seeing he asked for advice before cosigning a year ago, was told to run away, and ignored everyone :getin:

Devian666 posted:

Phone knows where things are at. We import huge amounts of Japanese cars. The older the car the higher the annual tax on it (in Japan). So we get them dirt cheap and use them until they are dead.

It does go up but not by as significant a cost as you'd think, it's just more likely to be failed in the bi-annual safety inspection* and require new parts/repairs, so most owners can't be arsed and sell it and buy another one. Consequently the old cars you do see in Japan are *really* nice and owned by people pretty passionate about them.

The old ones get auctioned off: lots wind up in New Zealand or in wild west countries like Cambodia (dunno how it is now, but ten years ago when I was there it was like 50/50 what side of the vehicle the steering wheel would be on). Australia and Canada get some too, but I don't think they're as lax about it as NZ. Now that some of the more desirable ones are coming within the 25 year rule for the US, I wouldn't be surprised if more don't start showing up there either. It's not just Skylines, a lot of other cars with cult followings came out of 1990's Japan, the keis got their last displacement bump (to 660cc) in 1990, plus there are bikes like the Africa Twin.

Russia gets some ex-Japanese cars too, I understand there's a vehicle ferry from Vladavstok that's popular with Russian grey market dealers. My dream vacation would be picking up an ex Japan beater 4WD at auction and driving it across Russia/the 'stans/Europe to the UK.

*Over a certain age they require an annual inspection, but it's basically optional in that you can do it yourself and go "yup, no problems".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australia has a scheme for enthusiasts to import cars that the manufacturer never imported (Fully sick GT-Rs), and there is some hope that we will open up the rest of the market to Japanese used imports like New Zealand has, but the used car lot lobby is fighting it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

I know I kind of started another car chat derail, but I really can't judge my friend too harshly-

In August 2014, I financed an overpriced used Infiniti at an almost usurious interest rate. I had totaled my old car in the snow in January, taking the bus for the time being. After multiple nightmares ranging from trying repeatedly to get the dealer to fix warranty issues to the car being stolen and left broken down on the side of the road, I traded it in this past June for a 2014 Elantra. I sunk a bunch of money doing all that, but I just wanted to forget 2014 and close the book on it.

No more bad decisions. I figure, get it all paid off (71% there!) then baby it until it falls apart. 15 year cost of ownership should (I hope!) be close to or less than multiple trades, repairing less reliable cars, financing new ones etc. All future cars will be paid for in cash (or financed at 0%) for life.

Then again, I do live in Massachusetts.

Less than two weeks into the new year and we have our first contender for Most Eye-Rolling Humblebrag of 2016! Give him a big hand, folks!

Fake edit: And once again it's a "oh man I don't want to start a derail *derails as hard as he can*"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cripes. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling more tickets than there are combinations of numbers. Everyone I know has caught lottery fever.

I threw a buck into the office pool so if everyone ends up retiring I'll be along for the ride.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

flynt posted:

A recent BWM conversation I overheard at work: One of my coworkers was telling people he finally paid off his 401k loan so he was going to get an extra 70$ a paycheck. Another coworker told him that it wasn't great because now he was going to start getting taxed on that money. First coworker said yeah it sucks but it's not too bad because he checked and it's not going to bump him up to the next tax bracket...

The amount of people who don't understand progressive tax brackets makes me irrationally angry. It's not that difficult people!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Cripes. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling more tickets than there are combinations of numbers. Everyone I know has caught lottery fever.

I threw a buck into the office pool so if everyone ends up retiring I'll be along for the ride.

The financial manager of my department just mass emailed the entire faculty to invite us to join his powerball pool.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For BWM: My parents keep asking me [23] for money (recently for $14k): wat do reddit?

First comment is someone looking at his post history, seeing he asked for advice before cosigning a year ago, was told to run away, and ignored everyone :getin:

He's an idiot with an abusive family.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Weatherman posted:

Less than two weeks into the new year and we have our first contender for Most Eye-Rolling Humblebrag of 2016! Give him a big hand, folks!

Fake edit: And once again it's a "oh man I don't want to start a derail *derails as hard as he can*"

Salty today.

I was trying to point out my own stupid decision making after posting about my friend's similar situation. Sure, I didn't need to point out that I've turned the situation around, but that was because I'm embarrassed about the past.

Feel free to remember that post for an entire year.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

Feel free to remember that post for an entire year.

It's what we do! :D

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

The amount of people who don't understand progressive tax brackets makes me irrationally angry. It's not that difficult people!

Doubly so when it's a politician proposing to "simplify the tax code" by eliminating the brackets. The brackets are literally the first section! They take up less than a page! They're way more straightforward than things like "what counts as income"! Aaaaahhhhhh! :argh:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Who's up for some good old-fashioned fear mongering?

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/01/12/rbs-warns-sell-everything/?mod=e2fbRBS posted:

RBS economists have urged investors to sell everything except high-quality bonds, warning of a “fairly cataclysmic year ahead.”

Writing in a client note dated Jan. 8, the bank’s European rates research team said that clients should be concentrating on return of capital, not return on capital, and that an ominous outlook to the world economy “all looks similar to 2008.”

The Key Points

-The note is particularly bearish on China and global commodities, and predicts that oil could fall as low as $16 a barrel.
-In a grim set of predictions, Andrew Roberts, head of European economics, rates & CEEMEA research said that the world has far too much debt to be able to grow well.
-He also warned that advances in technology and automation are set to wipe out up to half of all jobs in the developed world.
-The note says equities could fall 10% to 20%.
-It predicts the year will be spent focusing on how to exit positions that have benefited from long-running QE, including emerging markets, credit and equities.

“The world is slowing, trade is slowing, credit is slowing, we are in a currency war, global disinflation is turning to global deflation as China finally realizes what it needs to do (devalue soon, and sharp) and the U.S. then, against ALL THIS countervailing pressure, then stokes the fire by hiking rates,” Mr. Roberts wrote.

While the Fed’s interest rate move last year suggests a positive outlook for the U.S., the ECB’s quantitative easing is having a powerful effect, and eurozone activity picked up at the end of last year, there are undeniable headwinds, not least from China, oil and commodities.

Mr. Roberts has been bearish on the global macro outlook since late November, and has since then has written in client notes of the similarities between now and the run-up to the financial crisis.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

To be fair, the effect of even relatively simple things like tax credit phase outs make marginal rates confusing to someone who doesn't pay attention to their tax return. I'm in the lifetime learning credit phase out (part time student) so my marginal rate is effectively 50% on $10k, after that it would be 30%.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

"Fairly cataclysmic" is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

"Yeah, this downturn is a little bit the end of the world, but chin up it's not over yet!"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Cataclysmic for other people, who mow lawns and use public transport.

Maybe someone already ran the 'you're all bad, horrible people for spending money :siren:ON CREDIT:siren: over the (August to January) Christmas period, just look at these numbers someone found about household debt' space-fillers?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

- Russian Federation suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years.

- Labor and food riots in Ukraine. Russian troops invade.

- Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000.

- Oil prices at $6/Barrel. Nigeria and Venezuela governments collapse.

- Green Party gains control of German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons and American forces from European soil.

- Merkle resigns.

- El Chapo escapes for third time, begins insurrection against government forces. Mexico plunged into revolution.

- NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

With any luck automation will wipe out some economist jobs at RBS.

I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm uncomfortable getting any predictions or financial advice from banks that almost went out of business and/or destroyed the overall economy because of incompetence. Like when anyone from Citibank says anything.

BigDave posted:

Here comes Cuba.

Wolverines!!!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

Doubly so when it's a politician proposing to "simplify the tax code" by eliminating the brackets. The brackets are literally the first section! They take up less than a page! They're way more straightforward than things like "what counts as income"! Aaaaahhhhhh! :argh:

We could simplify the tax code a whole shitton by eliminating entire swaths of tax deductions, but boy people would be angry if we did that. 90% of the tax code is ways to reduce tax liability, the actual tax scheme is fairly simple.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

That's the funny thing about recessions/market corrections. Every time one rolls around (and the one we're going through is right on time, if not overdue) a bunch of dummies come out of the woodwork screaming, "This recession's different!" despite the fact that it's all part of the same cycle.

And then joe-schmoe sells off a bunch of shares in a panic and vows not to get back into the market "until things pick back up" and starts heralding the end of times.

So, at the end of the day, people end up buying high, and selling low. What a great strategy. I saw this stupidity back in 2001. Then again in 2008. Same old panicky bullshit.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

melon cat posted:

That's the funny thing about recessions/market corrections. Every time one rolls around (and the one we're going through is right on time, if not overdue) a bunch of dummies come out of the woodwork screaming, "This recession's different!" despite the fact that it's all part of the same cycle.

And then the joe-schmoe sells off a bunch of shares in a panic and vows not to get back into the market "until things pick back up" and start heralding the end of times.

So, at the end of the day, people end up buying high, and selling low. What a great strategy. I saw this stupidity back in 2001. Then again in 2008. Same old panicky bullshit.
Bubbles provide suckers to fuel growth because there isn't any growth from elsewhere.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
An engineer in my office told me that he "bought half the powerball tickets" at a local gas station.

I just don't understand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hyperbole?

Are they allowed to pre-print tickets?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can pick your own numbers for them, I thought, so pre-printing would be pretty bad... Not to mention that you'd somehow have to separate the "paid for" and "not paid for" tickets in case one of them ends up a winner. It's probably hyperbole, unless he managed to burn through half of their printer's ticket paper.

My state doesn't participate in the lottery, so it's always "interesting" hearing about how many people will drive miles to the borders to purchase tickets. Reports of 30-minute lines (or more) abound.

I just don't get it. Even with the EV over 100% the chances of coming away with anything are still almost nil, and if you remove the huge jackpot the EV is around 15% if not even less. You'd have better results throwing your money in a Megabucks slot and hoping for a win.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zamujasa posted:

I just don't get it. Even with the EV over 100% the chances of coming away with anything are still almost nil, and if you remove the huge jackpot the EV is around 15% if not even less. You'd have better results throwing your money in a Megabucks slot and hoping for a win.
The Megabucks slot is over in 10 seconds. Buying a powerball ticket enables up to 4 days of fantasizing about what you'd do with the money. Easily worth $2, if you like that kind of thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I believe someone did the math and if you bought every single combination it would cost like 600 million, enabling you to make a tidy profit of a couple hundred million. Unfortunately, you have to buy tickets in person at a register and it would take something like 9 years to print every number if you printed one every second, so there's no way you could do it.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Zamujasa posted:

The EV will never be over 100% no matter how big the jackpot gets, even before you factor in income tax.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Subjunctive posted:

Hyperbole?

Are they allowed to pre-print tickets?

have to be a hyperbole

I don't think you're even allowed to pre-print, but even if you could why would you put yourself, a dude at a gas station, at greater risk during a robbery. Especially since it takes all of 5 seconds and two button presses to print a ticket.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dik Hz posted:

The Megabucks slot is over in 10 seconds. Buying a powerball ticket enables up to 4 days of fantasizing about what you'd do with the money. Easily worth $2, if you like that kind of thing.

Man, you can fantasise about all kinds of stuff that won't happen for free. Maybe you are the last heir of a distant wealthy relative, and they'll die next week and you'll become a multi-millionaire and let's say a duke too, why not. Maybe you'll find out you're a wizard!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The grocery store I go to announced over the PA that the Powerball jackpot had hit 1.5 billion and within seconds there were a dozen people in line at the lottery counter :cripes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eyes Only posted:

The EV will never be over 100% no matter how big the jackpot gets, even before you factor in income tax.

The naive EV has, at least. In theory after factoring in tax, with a large enough jackpot even the "real" EV could breach 100%; since the cost of buying every possible number is $600M, you would just have to wait until the jackpot went over double that (plus extra to cover the taxes). Maybe somewhere around $3,000M? This ignores the event of sharing the jackpot, of course.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Eyes Only posted:

Not true. The jackpot grows by accumulating dead money from other people's old losing tickets. There is a break even point where the EV of any ticket is greater than the $2 paid but that precise value is hard to calculate for a variety of reasons including exact tax rates, investment returns, non-random ticket plays (think lucky numbers, anniversaries, etc)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Not true. The jackpot grows by accumulating dead money from other people's old losing tickets. There is a break even point where the EV of any ticket is greater than the $2 paid but that precise value is hard to calculate for a variety of reasons including exact tax rates, investment returns, non-random ticket plays (think lucky numbers, anniversaries, etc)

To say nothing of the fact that as the jackpot grows, more people buy tickets leading to a higher chance of multiple winners.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Naively, yes. Unfortunately the more detailed analysis doesn't play out this way: each $2 ticket add about $0.60 to the cash jackpot, and ticket sales accelerate as the jackpot grows larger. The more tickets sold, the higher the odds you have to split the jackpot, and that's what keeps the EV under 100%.

To put it in terms of the current figures: the unclaimed cash jackpot from the last drawing was 589m. A ticket costs $2, so half this value is 294.5m, which is higher than the 1 in 292m odds of winning. So under your hypothesis every ticket purchased today would have over 100% EV just from the leftover jackpot, let alone the extra that's been added since then.

...Except, the jackpot is currently listed as 930m. That implies about 560m tickets have been sold for this drawing. Which means there will be on average 1.92 winners this time around, with an 85% chance of at least one. And given there is at least one, and that person is you, you will on an expected basis get only 59% of the jackpot after accounting for all the probabilities of splits. Which means if you win, your expected cash payout on a 930m cash jackpot is only 549m, which is only a 94% EV.

At this point you're probably thinking "well, that goes over 100% when you factor in the non-jackpot prizes." Which it does, but 930m is today's figure. The drawing is tomorrow, more tickets will be sold and each new set of 292m tickets will only increase the jackpot by 178m, lowering your EV. If the jackpot goes up to 1.2b cash tomorrow it'll be 79%. At 1.5b, 64%.

TLDR; each ticket sold in the current drawing decreases the overall EV of the jackpot, and sales increase too fast for unclaimed jackpots to bank enough for positive EV. Maybe sales growth is weak enough in smaller lotteries for this to work, but the national ones have always grown fast enough to outpace the effect you describe.

e: all this is before taking out taxes, after tax it's even worse

e2: the combined EV on the non-jackpot prizes is 16%

Eyes Only fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Boss spent $60,000 from a home equity loan on those new hover boards. Two days later the report came out that they were all catching on fire.

Two months later they're still sitting in US customs.

• Locked thread