Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

axolotl farmer posted:

Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapples. It breaks down proteins into smaller chunks, and is used as a meat tenderizer. Also the reason why your mouth feels raw after eating fresh pineapple.

Probably the least scary part of the $1 steak. Worst part is the factory farm.

a) Neat!

b) Regardless, it still makes it sound like a lot of consumers would be really intimate with that knowledge and it comes off like an old-timey Sears ad for some mysterious green liquid that comes in a glass bottle and promises to grant users "vitality and proper vigour".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Plan Z posted:

What happened here? Did they try to make roux with oil?

Too much fat, not enough flour. Common mistake for gravy newbies.

zedprime posted:

I made similar looking "gravy" this past Xmas because it was the first time using pan drippings from a turkey with the skin stuffed with butter. Turned out a lot of the pan drippings were clarified butter and after reducing the broth portion, that ratio was even worse. Flour ended up thickening the broth layer while leaving the clarified butter on top, and trying to emulsify the concoction together just caused the thick gravy layer to turn grainier looking than Bristol type 6.

Next time, buy one of those fat separator cups. Works like a charm.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Plan Z posted:

Nothing wrong with an oil roux.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Wasn't that the "vegan" Biscuits and gravy recipe someone posted several dozen pages ago? And that was just some really loving weird mashed oats and oil concoction with soy milk?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Wasn't that the "vegan" Biscuits and gravy recipe someone posted several dozen pages ago? And that was just some really loving weird mashed oats and oil concoction with soy milk?

One day vegans and vegetarians will realize that it is better to play to veggies' strengths than try to turn them into things they are completely unsuited for.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The Kitchn just resposted the thing about chickpea packing liquid being an egg white substitute. You can make vegan meringue with it? I'm almost tempted to try it, honestly.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Plan Z posted:

you can't make roux without oil :catbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

One day vegans and vegetarians will realize that it is better to play to veggies' strengths than try to turn them into things they are completely unsuited for.

For example, I had an amazing vegan thanksgiving "roast." It was a loaf of homemade vegetable bread baked with stuffing inside. It was amazing and COMPLETELY NOT A loving SUBSTITUTE.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Arivia posted:

It was a loaf of homemade vegetable bread baked with stuffing inside.

I want to eat this.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Nothing wrong with an oil roux.

I don't know if people make roux with vegetable or olive oil, and I don't care if they do, but I'll still say it's wrong :colbert:. If I had done that in culinary school, the chef would have drown me in the deep fryer.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I want to eat this.

Ditto, but probably with a bit of soy sauce.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Arivia posted:

For example, I had an amazing vegan thanksgiving "roast." It was a loaf of homemade vegetable bread baked with stuffing inside. It was amazing and COMPLETELY NOT A loving SUBSTITUTE.

Yeah, I make a stuffed roasted squash dish for thanksgiving that's delicious and can easily be made vegan if needed (I usually use some egg to bind the rice and bean stuffing). Works as a main dish or a side.

Veggie dishes can be great if they're not pretending to be meat or cheese.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arivia posted:

So bread stuffed with bread?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I actually like vegetarian stuff like black bean burgers and quorn nuggets and would eat them all the time if they weren't more expensive than the real thing for some stupid reason.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I will never understand this. It's so easy to make a vegetarian mushroom gravy that works great over biscuits, but the most common recipes you'll see are trying hard to emulate sausage gravy.

My wife is a vegetarian and I'm the primary cook, so I learned a long time ago that vegetables are not meat. Don't try to make them meat. Veggies can't do what meat does. They'll always lose. On the other hand, meat can't do what veggies do, so why not try to emphasize that as much as possible?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Humboldt Squid posted:

I actually like vegetarian stuff like black bean burgers and quorn nuggets and would eat them all the time if they weren't more expensive than the real thing for some stupid reason.

You can make black bean burgers for super cheap! It's pretty much just black beans, additional veggies of you want, bread crumbs and an egg.

I still buy the Morningstar Farms frozen kind because they're stupid easy for when I want a meal.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I like this one, there's a story here.

Sally is preparing for the Church potluck, green bean casserole recipe laid out on the counter, an unused Pyrex 9x14 greased and ready. Her beautiful children take their sack lunches - ham and cheese for Heather and peanut butter for James - and a kiss for the road, and head to the bus. A loving hug from her husband flutters her belly as he runs out the door to see his perfect children before they get on the bus.

"I need to pick up corn flakes for this casserole" is the last thought before her life changed.

The brakes on the bus were broken before it left the depot that morning. A recall for the cooling fan of the hydraulic pump was to be issued the following day.

Sally was still thinking of corn flakes when the bus hit the curb. She was still thinking about corn flakes when the police and fire trucks poo poo off their lights.

"I told them I would bring a casserole" she thought vaguely. All that's left is a half bowl of uneaten Cheerios and maybe 40 long years of futile life.

Supposed to be corn flakes.

"Supposed to be corn flakes" she said, placing the dish on the fold-out table.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She could have just had one of the firemen pick up some corn flakes for her. The blame still falls on her for being lazy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Plan Z posted:

I don't know if people make roux with vegetable or olive oil, and I don't care if they do, but I'll still say it's wrong :colbert:. If I had done that in culinary school, the chef would have drown me in the deep fryer.

What about creole cooking? Olive oil roux is pretty essential to making a good gumbo. Cook it black.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Did somebody char one of those atkins cookie dough protein bars?

Content:

:ssh:that's sweet potato casserole:ssh:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Those look like cute little snakes on the left, too :ohdear: That whole image is sad.

E: how did I not notice the sign :(

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:smith: I see.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry, buddy, you are what you eat. :smith:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

looks gay todd

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

cash crab posted:

looks gay todd

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Is this a cross post from the pyf life hack thread?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Wtf is wrong with lukas

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I need to restock my prescription for crazy pills.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This was quite the adventure, watching it load 1 frame a second because of crappy wifi.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That reminds me of when I had the bad stomach bug.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's like popping a pimple lol

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Enjoy your loving lava!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Enjoy your loving lava!

Looks like this microwave potato:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Crust First posted:

"Honey! I've made briquettes!"

"Baguettes?"

"Nope!"

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

This looks like a bulimic's toilet.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Where is that bingo card? I think we could make a bingo with that one.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What about creole cooking? Olive oil roux is pretty essential to making a good gumbo. Cook it black.

Didn't know. I'll have to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Crust First posted:

how do you microwave a potato with the intent of making food and instead open a portal to Hell

• Locked thread