Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Going 4x4 in a Chevy van also 100% requires a lift kit if you're swapping over to it from 2wd. It's not as easy as swapping a truck over. Very, very little room where the front axle would go. My buddy had a lifted Chevy van in high school and that thing was a motherfucker to get running and aligned.

Just some words to mull over if you do consider a 4x4 swap down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

kastein posted:

Interesting, why do they do that? Chain stretch?

There is probably floor space (the tcase generally slopes downward from the trans on the driver side of this era of truck, and 4x4 swaps consist of swapping in the truck parts, welding hangars on the frame, and bolting on a truck axle) but yeah, it is worth checking.

The yoke can freewheel all day if needed, it doesn't spin in 2hi anyways as noted.

I'll hold off till floor space is verified and/or a good 2wd donor appears.

E: yeah, I was afraid of the 4wd to 2wd shaft swap being that involved. loving auto trans designers...

It's a common problem known as pump rub. There is a little clip that eats a hole through the magnesium housing, they all fail, it's just a matter of when.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

It's a common problem known as pump rub. There is a little clip that eats a hole through the magnesium housing, they all fail, it's just a matter of when.
If there are enough miles on the transfer case, it'll eventually happen, but it's not like they go at 60k or something. I had 172k on my old truck, and it never leaked a drop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slap a pound of jbweld on the outside of the case in the known wear locations. Eat through that you fucker.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rdb posted:

poo poo, those are magnesium? I thought they were aluminum. Good to know!

And yeah, I know a 4x4 swap requires a lift on most vans - Quigleys appear to be like 4-6" taller than factory usually. The motor hangs pretty low in a lot of vans.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not even just a lift kit, it's literally every piece of suspension and steering gear plus modifications to the frame. It's insane, lol.

The Quigley's are Fords and IIRC are provided with stuff that makes it a bolt on from the factory. Lifted Ford vans seem much easier to pull off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

It's not even just a lift kit, it's literally every piece of suspension and steering gear plus modifications to the frame. It's insane, lol.

The Quigley's are Fords and IIRC are provided with stuff that makes it a bolt on from the factory. Lifted Ford vans seem much easier to pull off.

Quigley does Ford, GM, and Nissan.
http://www.quigley4x4.com/Quigley-Products/Quigley-4x4-GM-Vans/Pricing

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

This is vantastic! Airbrush :getin: on the side.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
GM did make the Express Van in AWD forms later in its years (I think it was like 03 and newer) in factory form. I am not sure how much the front end shares with the Express vans to your older one. I know Ford didn't change poo poo for YEARS on the Econolines, I don't know how much van poo poo changed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
As one of the bastards that has to actually wrench on this thing, let me make one thing perfectly clear here: we are not converting this van to 4x4 :colbert: It's gonna be enough work to get the new driveline in and everything else finished. Let's try and keep things realistically insane.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Guys I know you're all super excited about the possibilities but Terrible Robot is 100% correct.

SCOPE CREEP, PEOPLE. It's an engine swap from an old as dirt TBI SBC to a shiny new MPFI 3rd gen LS motor, along with the dozens of other things that it'll turn out to need (brakes, suspension crap, god knows what else) - that's all going to be hard enough on its own.

I'm trying my best to not kill the vibe but there's no point in planning to do things that we simply won't be able to achieve with the time and workforce available okay :v:

(at least not this year)

Nitrous, on the other hand...

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 12, 2016

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
That's all wise and good, though I feel like this should not be overlooked:

Cached Money posted:

This is vantastic! Airbrush :getin: on the side.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

literally a fish posted:

Guys I know you're all super excited about the possibilities but Terrible Robot is 100% correct.

SCOPE CREEP, PEOPLE. It's an engine swap from an old as dirt TBI SBC to a shiny new MPFI 3rd gen LS motor, along with the dozens of other things that it'll turn out to need (brakes, suspension crap, god knows what else) - that's all going to be hard enough on its own.

I'm trying my best to not kill the vibe but there's no point in planning to do things that we simply won't be able to achieve with the time and workforce available okay :v:

(at least not this year)

Nitrous, on the other hand...

Agreed. RWD it is. I assume that we'll be delaying the NEAI meetup until it's done, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Make a plan, stick to the plan, and we have a chance of completing the plan.

Also, it's official: Trailer rented, locations confirmed, trip to HF planned for tomorrow to pick up some bigger ratchet straps and a come-along. I'm debating even bringing my little 2500# ATV winch, I didn't get a chance to make a bracket for it, and I don't have the trailer on-hand to test fit. I'm heading down to iForge's on Thursday morning, arriving at 1500, pick up the trailer, get to his place by 1600, where he can help load. Haul down to Richmond, spend the night at Adiabatic's :gooncamp: , and then drop off the trailer in the morning and head to my mom's for the all-important appointment Friday afternoon.

Is anyone planning on working on the van this weekend? I could head back down to RVA, it's only 2.5 hours... assuming the appointment goes well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

Agreed. RWD it is. I assume that we'll be delaying the NEAI meetup until it's done, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Make a plan, stick to the plan, and we have a chance of completing the plan.

Also, it's official: Trailer rented, locations confirmed, trip to HF planned for tomorrow to pick up some bigger ratchet straps and a come-along. I'm debating even bringing my little 2500# ATV winch, I didn't get a chance to make a bracket for it, and I don't have the trailer on-hand to test fit. I'm heading down to iForge's on Thursday morning, arriving at 1500, pick up the trailer, get to his place by 1600, where he can help load. Haul down to Richmond, spend the night at Adiabatic's :gooncamp: , and then drop off the trailer in the morning and head to my mom's for the all-important appointment Friday afternoon.

Is anyone planning on working on the van this weekend? I could head back down to RVA, it's only 2.5 hours... assuming the appointment goes well.

I'm planning on being there this weekend for initial triage/preliminary work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm planning on being there this weekend for initial triage/preliminary work.

Maybe it'll be a threesome!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Had no idea they did other vans, cool.

I'm only really familiar with the Fords because when I worked at the auction, Ford was our anchor account. We'd get a few in every year, usually flogged to poo poo and back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Fuckkkkkkkkkk I'm on call this weekend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
don't drink as much as us, and have your pager with you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

don't drink as much as us, and have your pager with you?

I can't be that far away. I have to be able to be on site within the hour.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Once this van is running that won't be an issue :getin:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
So I was going to do shocks on the mj Saturday, maybe I'll go to RVA instead. :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iForge posted:

So I was going to do shocks on the mj Saturday, maybe I'll go to RVA instead. :getin:

That's a one-beer job. The fronts actually take longer than the rears.

Rears: 2 nuts each, don't twist the studs off they're welded to stuff

Fronts: 2 bolts and a stem each, they're all through hardware so buy a handful of 5/16 1.5" grade 8s and blast the old hardware out/cut the nuts on the stems in half with a dremel.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

kastein posted:

That's a one-beer job. The fronts actually take longer than the rears.

Rears: 2 nuts each, don't twist the studs off they're welded to stuff

Fronts: 2 bolts and a stem each, they're all through hardware so buy a handful of 5/16 1.5" grade 8s and blast the old hardware out/cut the nuts on the stems in half with a dremel.

Yeah I'm hoping to get on the lift for a few mins to do it down there, I have nowhere to wrench anymore

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Better hurry before there's van guts everywhere :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fo3 posted:

Chrysler utes were an Aussie only thing.

I knew that they never made 'em here. I mean I never saw an Aussie one before, either. My world has expanded, therefore.

literally a fish posted:

Not here, that's for sure.

A translation: Hey bro, send Barry down to the liquor store for a case of [beer] and a case of [other beer], that should be enough for the 4th of July. We just need to remember to pick up some sausages and steaks for the BBQ closer to the date. :v:

Amazingly, the only word/phrase I didn't know or suss out was "snags". I may be spending too much time involved in other English-speaking cultures.
When I went to go see all three Mad Max films at the Alamo Drafthouse, they had a pre-roll compilation of various Aussie car/stunt/post-apocalyptic exploitation films that I need to go dig up and watch. I'm sure they're horribly bad, but then: exploitation films.

kastein posted:

I'm down for it if you arrange shipping, but bear in mind you are going to have a serious conniption fit when you realize what we yanks consider a normal/acceptable level of rust on a drivetrain.

This is likely true. and I haven't really looked hard locally to see what the prices are like here - probably not all that much more, given how ridiculously common the LSx truck motor is.

dreesemonkey posted:

If you're going the LM7 route make a trip in PA to denmah/sloppy mechanics on the youtube and immerse the east coast in turboy tire smoke.

Oh, god yes.

leica posted:

Ummm, yeah. If I'm in Texas no way I'm gonna buy a drivetrain from the northeast. There must be plenty in Texas, I don't understand that logic.

Cheap, but yeah, you're probably right.

kastein posted:

Mostly because a complete, with all accessories, all wiring, all manifolds, ECU, literally everything motor of V8/V10 flavor costs me $300 plus tax.

Sure, donors exist down south, but they're much more ragged mileage wise because the trucks don't rot apart around them by the time they turn 150k. So a good donor has a substantial pricetag attached to it... I've seen $1500-2k.

Are you willing to pay the premium for a rust free southern drivetrain? Go ahead and do it. Want the same thing 5-6 times cheaper, but it looks nasty and you have to fight with the exhaust manifold fasteners a bit? Go ahead and do it.

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so the choice is clear to me. :v:

Yeah, that^^^^^^^

leica posted:

Well yeah, I understand you choosing to being right there in the northeast yourself, but I didn't understand why someone in Texas wanted a drivetrain from up there. I had no idea they were that expensive in the south.

I'm lazy and haven't really looked, but last time I casually browsed it was still around a $1000 or so for the engine, maybe trans, maybe ECU and accessories, depending on seller.

quote="sharkytm" post="454728911"]
And it's not like the manifold and other bitchy fasteners aren't going to be available for access, with the motor out and all... It's not like the block goes bad by being rusty. I'd certainly take a rusty northeast truck motor with far fewer miles than a clean southern motor with a quarter million miles.
[/quote]

And I have air and electric de-rusting devices.

literally a fish posted:

Exhaust manifold fasteners are what bap baps and penetrating oil are for, right? :v:

That, too.

Best I'm finding on a quick Craigslist search is a few at $400-500 for the engine alone. Most are $1000-up, $1500-up with a transmission. That's Craigslist, though - private sellers and yards that want to pull it for you and charge you for every other little part.

Anyway, not making GBS threads up LaF's thread with this any more.
The van is ace. It deserves a loping V8. I'd add some 15"x10" wheels to fill out those running board flares. I can't wait to see this thing in it's final form.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kastein posted:

Mostly because a complete, with all accessories, all wiring, all manifolds, ECU, literally everything motor of V8/V10 flavor costs me $300 plus tax.

I know this is from forever ago but how much do you see LM4's go for? Are you ever able to find them without the yard knowing they're the aluminum version?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

If kastein built it, you could probably just have SpaceX launch it at you.

*At* you, not *to* you. Heh.

sharkytm posted:

Before we made a mount for the winch on my dad's trailer, we just chained the winch to the front, kind of like you would a come-along. couldn't use it to tie the vehicle down like that, of course, but it made getting stuff on the trailer so much easier.

This is one of the very few time I actually wished I was up north.
Y'all promise you'll live-blog this poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't recall seeing LM4s ever, but if I see one I might grab it.

They don't care what the head is made from if you buy the whole motor. And since I am known as a non problem customer who buys a lot of poo poo, they give me a whole motor with all the goodies for the bare-longblock price. Hell, last time I saw a V10 there they offered it to me for the V8 longblock price ($300+tax), since they never get V10s and haven't got a set price for them, but that was before I realized the donor had "motor junk :(" written on the drivers window. :sigh:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The tow vehicle has been prepped:
1. Full tank of diesel, DEF topped off 1000 miles ago
2. 2500# HF ATV Winch on 1/2" plate, with a 1/2" shackle on the back for chains, possibly the most ghetto-rigged thing I've ever made
3. Aforementioned chains: 3/8" and 1/2" short pieces with chain hooks; 3/8" GR7 trucker's chain, assorted shackles and pear links
4. Ridiculous jumper cables to power winch
5. 2x new HF 10K# ratchet straps
6. Grease gun
7. Tools for whatever might occur en-route
8. 3x Rubber chocks for the van
9. Hitch (3-way, hopefully it'll be low enough to not gently caress me over. If need be, I'll buy a drop hitch) and hitch adapter sleeve for the new 2.5" standard receiver size.
10. 8000# HF Comealong, several shots of 3/8" line
11. Starting fluid
12. Fire extinguisher
13. Clothes, sleeping bag, etc for comfort

Anything I'm missing? I'll put pictures on my Instagram (sharkytm) and SnapChat (sharkytm) if I have time.

\/\/ I don't really drink, but I've got a mason jar of 'shine from WV. Maybe I'll bring that. 190 proof, tastes like strawberry.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 13, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Liquor.

Probably lots of it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

chains, straps, and a grease gun in the back of a candyvan. :getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

chains, straps, and a grease gun in the back of a candyvan. :getin:

Don't forget the chains, straps and a grease gun for the van either.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
you're got an instafollow request from iamsurelywill

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
According to iForge, THE VAN IS ON THE MOVE

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sorry for the delay, my phone is a huge piece of poo poo and wouldn't transfer the pictures properly. I'm getting a new one this weekend.

Sharky showed up with the trailer around 4:15 and pulled away about an hour later. Here is the pic dump.

Pulled the van back with the MJ

Power for the winch

Janky winch

More janky winch

Dat rear end tho

Almost there!

Soon

Charon's chariot

Ready to go!

May you ride eternal, blurry, and chrome!

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Van delivered, although there may be an issue in the vertical dimension. There certainly wasn't any extra room in the horizontal either. Side skirts were rubbing on both sides.

10 hours of driving today, but that's not why my rear end is sore. Ugh, too much hotdog.

http://i.imgur.com/RkGoOVW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rOKxLBG.jpg

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 15, 2016

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Sharky you and big white are amazing. First you saved the Buick and now this. This is what dreams are made of.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Different truck, even. And nightmares count as dreams, right?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Looking forward to Adiabatic's new van shaped cutout above his garage door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

sharkytm posted:

Different truck, even. And nightmares count as dreams, right?

Oh no poo poo? Where do you keep getting these amazing vehicle saving white trucks?

• Locked thread