Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Sylphid posted:

New, good chapter of Lily Love. The author puts a lot of effort into drawing French kisses.
It really shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kylra posted:

Aikawa gets some pretty serious teasing in. It's not like super ecchi or nudity-filled or something, but Aikawa does constantly tease Maki very suggestively and get touchy a bunch.

The first example from chapter 1 page 6, but really it's pretty common for Aikawa to do stuff like this to Maki.

Seems like it's supposed to be pretty titillating to me. Then immediately after this, Aikawa moves closer to get between Maki's legs, put their faces closer together, and also touches his thigh if that panel on the previous page wasn't enough. It's set up to be pretty dang sexually charged even if there's no nudity, panty shots, or crotch bulges. At least in the abstract, even if stuff like that does nothing for you personally.

That's fair. I guess my brain compartmentalizes that differently from crotch bulges etc. because it's them acting like typical teenagers and doesn't feel very fanservicey, even if it's sexually charged. They're honestly pretty chaste for your typical teenagers but the whole comic is pretty ridiculous (the one girl leaving the other because she was afraid of causing her trouble is one of the most shoujo things I've ever read)

This is more responding to Ytlaya than you but I remember reading some trap stuff in highschool (and I've been reading Hibari kun recently) and I'd say it's a lot more reliant on fanservice and gay panic humor than prunus is. (e: it also almost word of god tells you they're gonna get together whereas the trap stuff I read was very will they won't they as part of the gay panic stuff) Like Maki does freak out but he spends so much time with/is so friendly with Aikawa despite that that it just reads as him being in major denial to me which is pretty familiar to my highschool experience :blush:
I'm probably projecting on the dumb cartoon characters a bit though so ymmv

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 9, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sylphid posted:

New, good chapter of Lily Love. The author puts a lot of effort into drawing French kisses.

Despite the translation being pretty crap this is really cute
Also that didn't feel like two volumes at all :colbert:
why isn't there more?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Little reminder that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is josei, the first episode has now aired, and it is very good indeed - one of the only two really great premieres of the season thus far, in fact. Give it a go, and don't worry about the obscure premise - it's basically just a very accessible character drama about show business.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sylphid posted:

First time I see this and it's super cute. :3:

Sparkle romance vision.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

the trap stuff I read was very will they won't they as part of the gay panic stuff)
This and "just a phase" are two of my least favorite things in the world. It often ruins things for me if it's a romcom type deal, and not a tragedy or some more serious dramatic thing (a la Hourou Musuko or Bokura no Hentai).

In other words, a lot of stuff ends up getting ruined.

DisDisDis posted:

Like Maki does freak out but he spends so much time with/is so friendly with Aikawa despite that that it just reads as him being in major denial to me which is pretty familiar to my highschool experience :blush:
:glomp:

I know the general feeling, even though Maki's kind of internalized gay panic wasn't really my thing. I felt it more like social panic."What will my family/everyone else think?" type stuff. Which is perhaps even more stupid/embarrassing in some ways considering that people don't care as much as I thought they would.

DisDisDis posted:

I'm probably projecting on the dumb cartoon characters a bit though so ymmv
Isn't that part of what this stuff is there for though? Empathizing with the characters' situations and such. At least, I never felt as compelled when taking an entirely detached voyeuristic viewpoint to these things. Like, I probably wouldn't like Yona (the manga) as much if I didn't connect as much with things like her desire to be stronger, or her often obliviousness towards Hak's true affections. Or at least similar with one of the other main characters, but out of all of them it's Yona the most right now.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

First time I see this and it's super cute. :3:

Sparkle romance vision.

Ratana Satis is really good, and you should check out her one-shots, also on Dynasty. She's proof the International Yuri Movement has come to Thailand.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

latest ReLife chapter is out: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/relife-r14377/

Welp, I guess it'd make sense to have more than one subject going through the process at the HS but still pretty inconvenient overall.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Alder posted:

latest ReLife chapter is out: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/relife-r14377/

Welp, I guess it'd make sense to have more than one subject going through the process at the HS but still pretty inconvenient overall.

that was a dumb twist and transparently just to make it okay for kaizaki to date hishiro.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

that was a dumb twist and transparently just to make it okay for kaizaki to date hishiro.

yeah it's kinda obvious why that happened, although I'm a little confused and possibly just because I'm not remembering everything correctly but just to see if I have this straight in my head now...
OK so the first subject that has been mentioned a bunch like something bad happened, they failed or whatever, that's still a separate experiment from Kaizaki and Hishiro right? Because two of those binders Yoake had were labeled 001 and 002, then there was a gap and one labeled 001 (2) so what was being obfuscated was that the labeling system is Subject 1/Subject 2 per round and they're in the second round now...or something? :confused:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It is dumb that she is still all messed up from moving a lot as a child if she is an adult. People like military brats aren't all semi-autistic.

I see how this can technically work, but what was previously kind of a cute/understandable character trait is now just really bizarre. It's also weird that she would care about her grades given the circumstances.

A more subjective gripe is that I feel this will change the tone of the comic significantly now that the other main character is also an adult. I kind of enjoyed the whole "adult who isn't a spaz helping a bunch of awkward teenagers" thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It is dumb that she is still all messed up from moving a lot as a child if she is an adult. People like military brats aren't all semi-autistic.
A normal child wouldn't, but she seems like she has been that way her whole life. It's still not the best turn this could have taken unfortunately. But we'll have to wait and see I guess. Some of the tension just went out the window. :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

True now it feels a bit more average guy meets girl story. Maybe there'll be another plot twist that redeems everything but idk.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
lol Kengai Princess just moved into high school years and the end of the latest chapter was a billion tons of horseshit so I feel like I should retract my previous recommendation for it. sorry y'all.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shame. I did like the faces in that.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's definitely going to transition into Kiss Him, Not Me! territory

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

dordreff posted:

lol Kengai Princess just moved into high school years and the end of the latest chapter was a billion tons of horseshit so I feel like I should retract my previous recommendation for it. sorry y'all.

my hope is that it's a dream. I want to keep liking it :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After reading chapter 23 of Kengai Princess I'm starting to think that maybe my earlier suspicions of this being a stealth tragedy where the MC gradually becomes consumed by vanity until she ends up the "princess" of the red light district or something might be true. (I don't actually think this is going to happen, but it would be pretty funny if it did.)

Regarding the big/open eyes thing, do guys in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) actually care about that, or is it just one of those things that some girls have just convinced themselves is good looking? I'm guessing that it's generally considered attractive by both sexes, given that the vast majority of models in Japan (and East Asia in general) have widened lids, but I don't think I've ever seen/heard a man say that he finds them attractive (or the alternative unattractive).

Gnossiennes posted:

my hope is that it's a dream. I want to keep liking it :(

Even though there are hot guys at her new school, there's still no indication that they'll be interested in her (even though it seems likely at least some will, particulary the Seiya-looking guy). I'm holding out some hope given that the first 22 chapters involved not a single guy being interested in her.

I'll be kind of bummed out if she ends up with the Seiya guy being her main love interest, though it seems pretty likely given how he's been around throughout the entire manga. He has a pretty stereotypical "shoujo love interest" personality, while Kunimatsu was pretty interesting and seemed like a good guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 11, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding the big/open eyes thing, do guys in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) actually care about that, or is it just one of those things that some girls have just convinced themselves is good looking? I'm guessing that it's generally considered attractive by both sexes, given that the vast majority of models in Japan (and East Asia in general) have widened lids, but I don't think I've ever seen/heard a man say that he finds them attractive (or the alternative unattractive).
Bigger eyes, within reason, is a generally attractive thing across all cultures. You'll see this come up if you watch documentaries about people who photoshop pictures to make actresses look more attractive etc.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
See also: most eye makeup products and how they're marketed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Instead of reading that thing people seem to not like, give Inubaka a try, I'm a couple dozen chapters in and it's an adorable series about a girl working at a dog based petshop, possibly romance later, the dogs in it absolutely rule and are drawn really well and accurately which is a fair rarity for manga

It can get a bit sappy or saccharine at times but so far it's a really fun, adorable series.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Last Game 50, in which Yanagi is about 5 seconds away from a legit date with Kujou and then turns her down. Dammit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Game can suck it, I'm not touching that again til it's finished.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

Last Game can suck it, I'm not touching that again til it's finished.
See you again when chapter 51 comes out.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, Last Game is probably my favorite frustrating Shoujo series currently running.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ichi Ni no San! is finally complete, and the last chapter was full of the usual Puku Okuyama squishiness :3: This one has a really great female friend and the two guys are adorable dorks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I see CR put Ristorante Paradiso up as one of their catalog titles; it's probably about time I got around to watching that (well maybe not right this second since this season is overwhelming as it is). I've been meaning to either watch it or read it (or both) considering how much I loved House of Five Leaves. Natsume Ono has such a neat style.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i put that one in my to watch list ages ago but i heard its really slow

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

Instead of reading that thing people seem to not like, give Inubaka a try, I'm a couple dozen chapters in and it's an adorable series about a girl working at a dog based petshop, possibly romance later, the dogs in it absolutely rule and are drawn really well and accurately which is a fair rarity for manga

It can get a bit sappy or saccharine at times but so far it's a really fun, adorable series.

It's pretty good. The dogs are wonderful. The human cast is a bit boring though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh neat, crunchyroll added the Aoi Hana anime.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sweet-blue-flowers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've cooled incredibly on Aoi Hana since I finished the manga :/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I've cooled incredibly on Aoi Hana since I finished the manga :/

I've not read it; what was bad about the ending so I can avoid reading it? :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just rushed and not very satisfying.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've not read it; what was bad about the ending so I can avoid reading it? :v:

it wasn't a sad ending or anything. it was just like, you know how a lot of times an incomplete adaption show will end on a "oh no a character is leaving, oh no wait they're back" thing, just to have some semblance of a conclusion? it was like that except it was the actual ending of the work.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Does Family Compo ever move beyond always contrived scenarios to force Masahiko to crossdress and his angst over Shion's genitals? I thought it was going somewhere for a bit, but then it just does the same thing again. At this point, I think the only character's situations I feel interested in still are Sora and Yukari's, and their relationship with Sora's dad, with maybe a dash of whatever is happening with Yukari's family.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Haigakura a lot -- it was hard to follow initially but the flashback section helped a lot to give the characters some context to each other -- but I wish I could keep track of all the characters' names better. When someone gets mentioned in conversation I usually have absolutely no idea who they're talking about, especially when so many of them have names + titles so they're not always referred to the same way. The translation was pretty rough to start with although it's gotten better, so I dunno if that's also part of the problem or what.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
New chapter of Shinozaki Is Incredibly Gay, in which Shinozaki remains incredibly gay.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dordreff posted:

New chapter of Shinozaki Is Incredibly Gay, in which Shinozaki remains incredibly gay.

:yeah:

Also, ugh, Tomo still hasn't updated. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 14, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

dordreff posted:

Now she can draw fanart to go with her fanfics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I see CR put Ristorante Paradiso up as one of their catalog titles; it's probably about time I got around to watching that (well maybe not right this second since this season is overwhelming as it is). I've been meaning to either watch it or read it (or both) considering how much I loved House of Five Leaves. Natsume Ono has such a neat style.

RP is nice. Mostly since it's very calm and focuses on the lives of older people. Also the food looks great.