Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

You can get that anywhere, ever since man mastered "not needing to walk or ride a horse to get around".

And now you're advocating the use of non-subway transportation? This is just unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lotka Volterra posted:

And now you're advocating the use of non-subway transportation? This is just unbelievable.

Despite rumors otherwise, you can in fact get to Vermont by multiple means of transportation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

Despite rumors otherwise, you can in fact get to Vermont by multiple means of transportation.

Fun fact: Vermont is culturally tied closer to Boston than New York because Albany and Troy feuded for so long over the Champlain to Hudson locks that the Boston-based rail companies built a Boston-Burlington-Montreal rail line in the interim.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

Nah, mountains and outdoor activities are cool.

This is why we allow Up-State to leech off of NYC's much needed tax dollar

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

I think I'm going to need a source for this.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Has anyone actually seen a Vermont before?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chair In A Basket posted:

Look for extremely white objects that shy away from heat

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

mdemone posted:

And you've just engaged fishmech on the subject of trains.

:perfect:

Chair In A Basket posted:

I went to Vermont once

I'm only mostly sure I left

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 12, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GalacticAcid posted:

Doesn't look like it got posted here, but Chris Hughes is giving up on the New Republic. He wrote about it on Medium.

"There are bright signs on the horizon: Vox, Vice, the Texas Tribune, Buzzfeed, ProPublica, and Mic embody a new generation of promising organizations — some for-profit, others non-profit — that have put serious, high-quality journalism at the core of their identities."

What a world, what a world...

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

"There are bright signs on the horizon: Vox, Vice, the Texas Tribune, Buzzfeed, ProPublica, and Mic embody a new generation of promising organizations — some for-profit, others non-profit — that have put serious, high-quality journalism at the core of their identities."

Buzzfeed has admittedly put out a handful of decent articles, but core of their identity? What?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

foobardog posted:

For at least my school, the idea that our STEM education was insular seemed like a joke. Basically, we had to take 1 humanities/social science course per term to graduate (roughly 1/5 of our classes). I don't think there are any places where humanities/social science majors need to take a science/math class a term. Now, people took the HSS classes less seriously, and I filled them up with Japanese like a baka, but still, I had plenty time to be lectured at by an economics professor who really was into consumption taxes. I honestly regret taking so few real HSS classes, they were some of my favorite ones.

There are; my university required all graduates regardless of major to take a number of credits in history/poli sci, science, mathematics, languages, arts (both "appreciation" and production), and a few other categories. drat good broad education.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

PleasingFungus posted:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

This coming hot on the heels of the train thing is just so weirdly perfect.

Seriously you are going to compare math and physics to the social sciences? Statistics is the same as advanced calculus? Really Fishmech?

How familiar are you with social sciences? Because that statistics and advanced calculus part makes me think not very. What exactly is advanced calculus anyways?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sugar free jazz posted:

How familiar are you with social sciences? Because that statistics and advanced calculus part makes me think not very. What exactly is advanced calculus anyways?

Someone who doesn't realize that math is an og liberal art probably is also misinformed about the nature of social science research.

This someone may also be on a legislative science committee for all we know.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

sugar free jazz posted:

Advanced calculus is anything beyond multivariate calculus and regular ol differential equations.

Partial differentials, complex calculus, and calculus theory all count.

So uh stuff beyond just taking a derivative or solving an integral.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Matt Bevin has notified the feds that he'll [be a giant dumb fuckhead]"

It should be noted that it could cost in excess of 23 million dollars to dismantle kynect, which is an interface that has helped a lot of Kentucky residents get access to healthcare, but The Party of Reduced Spending clearly knows what it's doing here, right?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Quorum posted:

There are; my university required all graduates regardless of major to take a number of credits in history/poli sci, science, mathematics, languages, arts (both "appreciation" and production), and a few other categories. drat good broad education.

I can say the same for my university; my Psychology Honours degree required me to take approximately 60% of my classes from the core "psychology" curriculum, 20% from the humanities faculty (which had to include at least 2 subjects in different languages) and 20% from other fields which, for me, meant Computer Sciences and biology (which, subsequently, helped me meet pre-requisite requirements to apply to medicine). The core psychology curriculum also included research methods, statistics, and a thesis component.

Dunno if things have changed; this was back in 2001 in Canada. Broad education is a fantastic approach, I took accounting courses, history, political science, and philosophy courses which I probably wouldn't have taken unless I was required to. I'm a better person for it; even if I haven't used these subjects in my career, I have an appreciation for human systems that I wouldn't have developed on my own.

**edit** I've taken both calculus and multi variate statistics; they're very similar and I don't think I would have done as well on the latter if I hadn't studied the former.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 12, 2016

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Good to see Paul Gilbert still getting some work.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

too many choice quotes so posting the whole article

david brooks posted:

In 1997, Michael Wayne Haley was arrested after stealing a calculator from Walmart. This was a crime that merited a maximum two-year prison term. But prosecutors incorrectly applied a habitual offender law. Neither the judge nor the defense lawyer caught the error and Haley was sentenced to 16 years.

Eventually, the mistake came to light and Haley tried to fix it. Ted Cruz was solicitor general of Texas at the time. Instead of just letting Haley go for time served, Cruz took the case to the Supreme Court to keep Haley in prison for the full 16 years.

Some justices were skeptical. “Is there some rule that you can’t confess error in your state?” Justice Anthony Kennedy asked. The court system did finally let Haley out of prison, after six years.

The case reveals something interesting about Cruz’s character. Ted Cruz is now running strongly among evangelical voters, especially in Iowa. But in his career and public presentation Cruz is a stranger to most of what would generally be considered the Christian virtues: humility, mercy, compassion and grace. Cruz’s behavior in the Haley case is almost the dictionary definition of pharisaism: an overzealous application of the letter of the law in a way that violates the spirit of the law, as well as fairness and mercy.

Traditionally, candidates who have attracted strong evangelical support have in part emphasized the need to lend a helping hand to the economically stressed and the least fortunate among us. Such candidates include George W. Bush, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.

But Cruz’s speeches are marked by what you might call pagan brutalism. There is not a hint of compassion, gentleness and mercy. Instead, his speeches are marked by a long list of enemies, and vows to crush, shred, destroy, bomb them. When he is speaking in a church the contrast between the setting and the emotional tone he sets is jarring.

Cruz lays down an atmosphere of apocalyptic fear. America is heading off “the cliff to oblivion.” After one Democratic debate he said, “We’re seeing our freedoms taken away every day, and last night was an audition for who would wear the jackboot most vigorously.”

As the Republican strategist Curt Anderson observed in Politico, there’s no variation in Cruz’s rhetorical tone. As is the wont of inauthentic speakers, everything is described as a maximum existential threat.

The fact is this apocalyptic diagnosis is ridiculous. The Obama administration has done things people like me strongly disagree with. But America is in better economic shape than any other major nation on earth. Crime is down. Abortion rates are down. Fourteen million new jobs have been created in five years.

Obama has championed a liberal agenda, but he hasn’t made the country unrecognizable. In 2008, federal spending accounted for about 20.3 percent of gross domestic product. In 2015, it accounted for about 20.9 percent.

But Cruz manufactures an atmosphere of menace in which there is no room for compassion, for moderation, for anything but dismantling and counterattack. And that is what he offers. Cruz’s programmatic agenda, to the extent that it exists in his speeches, is to destroy things: destroy the I.R.S., crush the “jackals” of the E.P.A., end funding for Planned Parenthood, reverse Obama’s executive orders, make the desert glow in Syria, destroy the Iran nuclear accord.

Some of these positions I agree with, but the lack of any positive emphasis, any hint of reform conservatism, any aid for the working class, or even any humane gesture toward cooperation is striking.

Ted Cruz didn’t come up with this hard, combative and gladiatorial campaign approach in isolation. He’s always demonstrated a tendency to bend his position — whether immigration or trade — to what suits him politically. This approach works because in the wake of the Obergefell v. Hodges court decision on same-sex marriage, many evangelicals feel they are being turned into pariahs in their own nation.

Cruz exploits and exaggerates that fear. But he reacts to Obergefell in exactly the alienating and combative manner that is destined to further marginalize evangelicals, that is guaranteed to bring out fear-driven reactions and not the movement’s highest ideals.

The best conservatism balances support for free markets with a Judeo-Christian spirit of charity, compassion and solidarity. Cruz replaces this spirit with Spartan belligerence. He sows bitterness, influences his followers to lose all sense of proportion and teaches them to answer hate with hate. This Trump-Cruz conservatism looks more like tribal, blood and soil European conservatism than the pluralistic American kind.

Evangelicals and other conservatives have had their best influence on American politics when they have proceeded in a spirit of personalism — when they have answered hostility with service and emphasized the infinite dignity of each person. They have won elections as happy and hopeful warriors. Ted Cruz’s brutal, fear-driven, apocalypse-based approach is the antithesis of that.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Advanced calculus is anything beyond multivariate calculus and regular ol differential equations.

Partial differentials, complex calculus, and calculus theory all count.

So uh stuff beyond just taking a derivative or solving an integral.

Ah ok so undergrad level math. I mean in a way they use advanced calculus but uh for the quant people and all economists but the heterodox bros that's like, the very basic building blocks of what they do. What exactly do people think social sciences are? I mean not everyone is a math nut but quant people aren't exactly uncommon vOv

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

It should be noted that it could cost in excess of 23 million dollars to dismantle kynect, which is an interface that has helped a lot of Kentucky residents get access to healthcare, but The Party of Reduced Spending clearly knows what it's doing here, right?

I hope we get to see a lot more articles where some yokel who got his insurance through kynect talk about how they voted for Bevin but hope he doesn't gently caress them over (as he's loving them over) because OBUMMER.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

Ah ok so undergrad level math. I mean in a way they use advanced calculus but uh for the quant people and all economists but the heterodox bros that's like, the very basic building blocks of what they do. What exactly do people think social sciences are? I mean not everyone is a math nut but quant people aren't exactly uncommon vOv

They extrapolate their Anthropology 100 class to a PhD level and say "Look how easy it is!"

I was one of those people when I first started school but have since learned more about the complexity of social sciences.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Abel Wingnut posted:

Any system that countenances imprisoning someone for sixteen years for stealing a calculator is broken enough that we should expect to find men like Cruz thriving in it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Abel Wingnut posted:

quote:

This approach works because in the wake of the Obergefell v. Hodges court decision on same-sex marriage, many evangelicals feel they are being turned into pariahs in their own nation.

Oh no, they can no longer impose their own religious beliefs on everyone in the country, they are totally pariahs now!

I really hate the whole "Freedom of religion has to mean freedom to impose my religious beliefs on everyone else" stance that the evangelicals have. Almost makes me want Sharia Law to be enacted just to piss the entitled little shits off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Aardvark posted:

They extrapolate their Anthropology 100 class to a PhD level and say "Look how easy it is!"

I was one of those people when I first started school but have since learned more about the complexity of social sciences.

I was totally this way as a stemlord college student, until I saw my sociology major roommate's homework. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Abel Wingnut posted:

I really hope I live to see the end of the Evangelical voting block.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The Aardvark posted:

Yeah, this is dumb and it's annoying when people do it. Even more dumb in your example, because biological (aka "STEM") Anthropology also exists.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yoshifan823 posted:

About 10% of this state is in the Medicaid expansion. I was until recently and it allowed me get some surgery i desperately needed. And now I'm starting a new job that'll pay rather well for the state.

I am fortunate that I wasn't saved from health insurance sooner.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Taerkar posted:

About 10% of this state is in the Medicaid expansion. I was until recently and it allowed me get some surgery i desperately needed. And now I'm starting a new job that'll pay rather well for the state.

I am fortunate that I wasn't saved from health insurance sooner.

Don't worry, he isn't sabotaging the medicaid expansion until next year. And he isn't getting rid if it completely! He is actually doing something worse, adding copays and coinsurance to it, making medicaid unusable by poor people.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

haveblue posted:

The subway isn't a piece of art, it's a utility that millions of people require to be reliable and timely for their lives to be manageable. There's a place for aesthetics in the system- in the parts that passengers experience, on the platforms and cars and in the hallways. The parts that actually make it work should have "charm" as the absolute last priority.

You know who else wanted the trains to run on time? :godwin:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shakugan posted:

Many companies actually bemoan the relative low technical ability of US STEM graduates.
lol. What? What field are you in?

If someone has to generalize about technical ability, it should be on a school-by-school basis. Nationality is a terrible indicator, unless a country is so small that it literally has no schools that are competent in a given subject area. The U.S. has several schools in the top 10 in just about every category, and fills in the next few hundred positions quite well. I'm sure the U.S. also has lots of bottom-of-the-barrel schools, but that's just more reason why nationality is a stupid indicator to use.

I'm interested in hearing where you think the "good" STEM graduates are coming from.

EDIT: Though I'm sure there are lots of companies that actually do bemoan the low technical ability of US STEM graduates, because the highly competent ones aren't willing to work for them at the below-market wages that desperate H-1B immigrants are willing to accept.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If only we were in a sane country the VP being bankrupted by his son's medical bills would be the catalyst for some kind of reform

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

EDIT: Though I'm sure lots of companies bemoan the low technical ability of US STEM graduates (willing to work at the below-market wages they can get desperate H-1B immigrants to work for).

It's this.

"America is lacking competent high-skilled workers" = "American high-skilled workers aren't willing to work at the price I want to pay them"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's this.

"America is lacking competent high-skilled workers" = "American high-skilled workers aren't willing to work at the price I want to pay them"

Are people who have been working for a long time in a field financially motivated to devalue to the incoming generation of new professionals?

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

If only we were in a sane country the VP being bankrupted by his son's medical bills would be the catalyst for some kind of reform

Breaking Biden?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's this.

There was an op-ed in my town a while ago about a guy whining about how there's no "skilled labor" in america anymore and we don't value a hard day's work. Someone did some snooping and found out the dude's company had a want ad out for experienced contract welders with their own truck and was willing to pay $17 an hour. For reference, that should pay about $75 an hour.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Salt Fish posted:

Are people who have been working for a long time in a field financially motivated to devalue to the incoming generation of new professionals?

Wages at most sizable companies are set by negotiations between the HR and Finance divisions. You're lucky if even the department managers get much say in it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously the fact that Biden had trouble with those medical bills should be absolutely terrifying to everyone in this country.

Also Ted Cruz is worthless scum and I hope that his rise is just some cosmic deity raising him up so that the fall will be fantastic.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yoshifan823 posted:

Aren't there a lot of low-info people in KY who love kynect and simultaneously hate Obamacare? Doesn't this move open him up to attacks from the right claiming that he forced Obamacare on KY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

g0del posted:

Aren't there a lot of low-info people in KY who love kynect and simultaneously hate Obamacare? Doesn't this move open him up to attacks from the right claiming that he forced Obamacare on KY?

Kentucky is home to a lot of Evangelicals, so yes.

• Locked thread