Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

odiv posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if people are spreading that Facebook post around a lot and scaring stores or if WOTC has been sending out messages about this and/or following up more on reports of proxies.

I've heard from more than one store about this now. They're probably handling this on a per store basis because they know it would piss players off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Chill la Chill posted:

My LGS just put up an announcement that due to the WOTC policy, they are no longer allowing proxies for their monthly legacy "duel for the duals" event. I won't be surprised to see a 20-40 person event trickle down to 6-8 people in 2 months when they cancel it for being unprofitable.
Is this Victory? That's pretty lame because the premise of that event was "give people a chance to win their way into a Legacy deck if they don't already have one."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to guess that my good friend who works there found it on Reddit or wherever and wanted to curb the potential problem before it became one.

jassi007 posted:

That is unfortunate. I wonder if this is a shift in policy, to actually enforce it or if this is a case of someone ratted on the store for some reason and WOTC felt they couldn't ignore it. This isn't a new rule, proxies have always been disallowed in sanctioned events.
It has always been an un-sanctioned casual event for the purposes of WER from what I recall. I never participated in it since I have all the dual I could ever need but I did drop by to trade for things.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Good news though all of this means more time for eurogames or x-wangs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boco_T posted:

Is this Victory? That's pretty lame because the premise of that event was "give people a chance to win their way into a Legacy deck if they don't already have one."

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark read about it. At least they're trying to put up a community pool for events. I'm guessing curio is going to reaffirm the no-proxy policy as well, even though their events were always sanctioned, no proxy affairs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

:3: I wouldn't mind more eurogame and wang tournaments myself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

More stores in my area are steadily picking up Force of Will, so I'm pretty okay with all of this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Force of Will is the blatant MTG rip-off with terrible anime art, right?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm going to guess that my good friend who works there found it on Reddit or wherever and wanted to curb the potential problem before it became one.

It has always been an un-sanctioned casual event for the purposes of WER from what I recall. I never participated in it since I have all the dual I could ever need but I did drop by to trade for things.

If you're using WER you're reporting the events to WOTC. Just run them in non-WOTC software and there should be no issue. They can't very well sanction you for events that they don't know exist.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

If you're using WER you're reporting the events to WOTC. Just run them in non-WOTC software and there should be no issue. They can't very well sanction you for events that they don't know exist.

Except Wizards is most likely finding out from other stores reporting it.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

jassi007 posted:

Sure, but if some player gets salty and decides to snitch, then you will get in pretty serious trouble tbh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Like I said IDK what they did. Some people might complain if they didn't run it through WER cuz they care about precious planes walker points lol.

Entropic posted:

Rude. The art is lovely and colorful. And I like to call the mechanics enhanced. They added good game design elements that have been discovered since MTG was created.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh god I actually just looked up Force of Will and it's worse than I remembered.

For all that we bitch and moan about bland CG art in new sets, no other game looks as good as Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

odiv posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if people are spreading that Facebook post around a lot and scaring stores or if WOTC has been sending out messages about this and/or following up more on reports of proxies.

I texted my local LGS owner about it as soon as I heard, not that it impacts much since his store just does draft standard and modern

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Entropic posted:

Yes.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Oh god I actually just looked up Force of Will and it's worse than I remembered.

For all that we bitch and moan about bland CG art in new sets, no other game looks as good as Magic.

Yeah it's horrendous and I cringe every time someone mentions it in here, this, the Magic: the Gathering, thread.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Entropic posted:

FFG does a pretty good job with most of their LCGs :ssh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is this actually a policy change? Have they ever allowed proxies?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the difference is they are now trying to muscle in on non-sanctioned events. It'd be like WOTC telling Timmy he isn't allowed to let Johnny take back blocks at the kitchen table.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Supposedly its in their partnership agreement and always has been. The only thing is new is that they want it clarify that this goes for things outside of WER when a LGS is involved.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Yeah, but at this point it's a lot faster paced and more interesting if only because it's Magic but not made by Wizards. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Magic, but it's a fresher and more affordable spin at the moment.

It's been a legally gray area that Wizards could technically say no to but have not bothered too much with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sounds to me like they've turned a blind eye towards it in the past but are now cracking down on it.

It's a shame, some of the best times I've had with Magic were the Modern proxy tournaments my old LGS would run. Free entry and winner gets a box, and the place would be understandably packed. A lot of people wouldn't even have proxies or would only have a few, it was just a way to help get more people (and kids especially) interested in the format.

E: beaten twice but the point still stands.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

seems to me that the problem of "yeah nobody plays standard" at a store, combined with the most popular events being proxy-fied legacy events, would sorta kinda have some sort of symbiotic relationship on both the movement of product (something WOTC wants) and the lack of WOTC making a single dime on both proxies and the secondary market.

If your store doesn't want to sanction Standard events with enough frequency to move a decent amount of product, why would they want to support you running mostly events that make WOTC zero dollars?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Telex posted:

seems to me that the problem of "yeah nobody plays standard" at a store, combined with the most popular events being proxy-fied legacy events, would sorta kinda have some sort of symbiotic relationship on both the movement of product (something WOTC wants) and the lack of WOTC making a single dime on both proxies and the secondary market.

If your store doesn't want to sanction Standard events with enough frequency to move a decent amount of product, why would they want to support you running mostly events that make WOTC zero dollars?

There isn't a store anywhere that doesn't want to run more standard events to move product. I believe the problem is that nobody wants to attend standard events.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Telex posted:

If only wotc could monetize an interest in older cards and sets..

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

If only wotc could monetize an interest in older cards and sets..

WOTC is this strange business that doesn't want to sell products their customer base want to buy. Its loving bizarre.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

Yeah, but at this point it's a lot faster paced and more interesting if only because it's Magic but not made by Wizards. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Magic, but it's a fresher and more affordable spin at the moment.

The visual style is just too much of a dealbreaker for me.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Sickening posted:

There isn't a store anywhere that doesn't want to run more standard events to move product. I believe the problem is that nobody wants to attend standard events.

chicken and egg isn't it?

Why aren't people playing in the standard events?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Telex posted:

The WPN already has scaling benefits for running sanctioned events. Stores only get as much support as whatever sanctioned events they run qualify them for, they're not getting something for nothing here. If a store is running mostly unsanctioned events, their WPN level will be lower and they get less support, which is specifically how the system is designed to work.

Also banning proxies in stores in hopes of bringing more people into Standard seems like a rather farfetched scheme.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Telex posted:

Its not chicken and the egg. Standard being unpopular because its bad right now and oath doesn't give it a lot of promise to shake things up. I am hope I am wrong about oath.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its not chicken and the egg. Standard being unpopular because its bad right now and oath doesn't give it a lot of promise to shake things up. I am hope I am wrong about oath.

Standard needs Khans to rotate out so badly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oath has a tonne of really strong cards in a color that doesn't even really exist yet

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
This is actually the worst thing wotc has done:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/jan-12-2016-update-2016-01-12

quote:

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT
Colorless Mana| Cardboard Crack
It's colorless.

Cardboard Crack is a comic about, what else, Magic. If you haven't checked out the comic before, then I'm guessing your internet browser is broken. Wait, how are you reading this?

:rip:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Telex posted:

The fetches/bofas mana base is expensive but nothing else really compares since there's nothing to punish greedy mana. Siege Rhino has been a big deal since its printing and nothing in OGW is gonna stop that, and it came immediately after Supreme Verdict/Sphinx's Rev/Detention Sphere punched standard for their tenure.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure if WOTC cared about proxy events as much as people are assuming wed be reading something really dumb on the mothership about how proxies are like murder, not an email between a rep and an LGS.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Telex posted:

A mix of things really.

1. Competitive standard is ridiculously expensive and a lot of your LGS players are going to be competitive.
2. Modern is surprisingly cheaper(ish) at the moment and arguably more rewarding to play.
3. But that may not last long because mtgfinance.
4. Standard is arguably boring. Maybe not any more or less than any other given standard, but we've been in midrange land for a while now.

Entropic posted:

The visual style is just too much of a dealbreaker for me.

It's a matter of taste I suppose. The best of all worlds would have people with distinctive styles like Rebecca Guay illustrating everything. As is, I'll take something colorful over:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are actually a lot of reasons Standard could be unpopular, because there are so many things about it that are different from the eternal formats. The new current game design of Standard, the new block format, the prices of Standard staples. It likely all adds up. I think the big one is the design philosophy change, but I am biased since its why I haven't cared for Standard for years but still really like Vintage and Legacy, and even Modern to a lesser extent.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

wotc?

More like wot¢

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

It's a matter of taste I suppose. The best of all worlds would have people with distinctive styles like Rebecca Guay illustrating everything. As is, I'll take something colorful over:

The real question is when is fow going to have megucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm pretty sure if WOTC cared about proxy events as much as people are assuming wed be reading something really dumb on the mothership about how proxies are like murder, not an email between a rep and an LGS.

They wouldn't bother pissing everyone off when they can just quietly lean on people who need wotc so they can make a living

• Locked thread