Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Just got an offer letter for a new job, and whoops the salary on there is exactly the number I gave them as a ballpark number during a phone screen.

She asked how much I currently make and what I'm looking for so I told her my current salary and said I'd like that + 20% at least. That exact number is in my offer letter. I feel like I could have gotten more if I gave them a bigger number, but still I'm not gonna say no to a 20% raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I was doing entry level IT janitor stuff for a while and transitioned into the development/NGO/public administration field. I've started shopping around my resume and doing the informational interview stuff. I'm always interested in polishing/improving the resume though and if people have any suggestions for improvements I'd like to hear it. Here's the more recent draft of what I'm passing around. Any suggestions?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Just got an offer letter for a new job, and whoops the salary on there is exactly the number I gave them as a ballpark number during a phone screen.

She asked how much I currently make and what I'm looking for so I told her my current salary and said I'd like that + 20% at least. That exact number is in my offer letter. I feel like I could have gotten more if I gave them a bigger number, but still I'm not gonna say no to a 20% raise.

One of the biggest takeaways I got from a training I attended on negotiation was to start from a ridiculous position from which I could come down without any regret. When you ask for what you want, if any negotiation ever takes place, you end up with less than what you want, and if no negotiation takes place then you didn't get as much as you could have.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If its not too late you could say "after reviewing the benefits package I feel $x + 15% or 20% is appropriate". Worst case is you get what they offered which sounds pretty sweet.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

What's the etiquette in the UK for interview follow up emails? I had a remote interview for a job in the US but the HR person and hiring manager are both English and the company HQ is in England. A quick google search says they'd think I was a weird over eager American if I sent one but I just wanna be sure.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
I am trying to break out of the fine dining service industry and through the table side connections I've made I think I have a shot. While serving the president and VP of a print and internet media buying company they wound up giving me cards and asked me to get in touch. I sent an updated resume to the VP of HR and did a phone interview yesterday.

I would be stepping into the roll of Internet Media Manager, handling:

Internet media management
Mobile and online advertising
Sales/marketing
Strategic marketing partner
Data driven sales strategy
Account management
Client sales forecasting

My background is in business development, sales, marketing and product development. I've run my own natural food company, worked in management rolls, high volume sales and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks to this thread, when they asked me for a salary range at the end end of the phone interview, I pivoted away and I got them to throw out the first number range; the position starts in the $60-68k range, benefits include HMO, 401k but a sliding match depending on profits, and that is about it. PTO sounds like 10 days a year plus 6 sick days. This would be a change into a whole new industry for me, and a small but not insignificant pay cut post tax for me as well. I told them I would bring a range to the table on the in person interview on the 5th of next month.

Here's my question, I am currently making a post tax average for the year of $4,657 a month as a server; this position before bonuses would bring in $3,800-$4000 a month depending on my effective tax rate. How can I position myself to get the most out of my ask to keep me close to my current income level? Also what other things can I ask for that would make sense in the world of salary negotiations?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
First, just to get the anal-ness out of the way, it's "the role of". Just saying that so you don't grammatically misstep going forward with them.

As someone who has made a similar move from the bartending/waiting tables world twice (to get my first "real job" and again when I moved to FL and couldn't find IT work at first) I feel like I can weigh in.

It really depends on how much you want out of waiting tables. I looked at the "real job" as an investment in my future, so even after I started doing IT work, even though my salary was comparable to what I had been making before I still worked a couple nights a week at the restaurant/bar both times. If you can at least do that to break even for a while, you are taking a shot at something better while keeping ties with your backup job just in case.

I definitely would mention to them that this is a pay cut for you, maybe even say that to maintain your current income level you will have to supplement by working some nights and ask them if they can come up a bit. Might want to be prepared to show that current income just to help your case, but if it were me I wouldn't push too hard. Just look around at your restaurant and see how many people have been there too long because they wish they had taken a chance. Sure, the restaurant biz can be a great career for a lot of people but many more are there because they got stuck there.

Anyway, just my two cents. I say go for it, no matter if they bump you up or not. Hopefully it will pay long-term dividends for you.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

Dark Helmut posted:

The industry is a small trap that pays well. Time to be forward thinking...

Thanks for the grammar heads up, I'll fix that. You're right about instant versus delayed gratification. I did plan to keep one or two night a week at the restaurant serving because it is a fun place to work, and being located in Newport Beach it is a great location to network. Becoming a server was a flexible way to make money while I built a business from the ground up, as much as I love the freedom, aside from the chance at management there is little room for growth. The one perk of the job is that they will train you to get your Som Level 1, which can lead to wine buyer jobs and other things higher up in the industry.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is it dishonest/a bad idea to pick certain jobs to put on an application? A job I'm applying for is similar to one of my recent jobs, but is also similar to one I had several (4-5) years ago. If I tried to list the jobs I've held in between, it wouldn't fit on the application. Should I just leave it off and mention it if I get an interview?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

Is it dishonest/a bad idea to pick certain jobs to put on an application? A job I'm applying for is similar to one of my recent jobs, but is also similar to one I had several (4-5) years ago. If I tried to list the jobs I've held in between, it wouldn't fit on the application. Should I just leave it off and mention it if I get an interview?

I don't put the fact that I worked at a grocery store when I was 16 or that i worked at Sam's club for a couple months after college on my resume when I apply for professional jobs.

But on the other hand you don't want to leave 4 or 5 year gaps in your resume if you held a long term position during that time. I wouldn't say it's dishonest to omit, but they might assume you've been unemployed for several years. You could explain that in an interview but they may not give you an interview because of it (lack of general work experience/skills)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's not wrong and much better to emphasize relevant experience.

For jobs in between, you can just push them off to the end and/or give a minimal description, so you're accounting for your time and they can ask you about it if they like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What do I do if I do actually have a several year gap in my employment history? After I finished my time at college I took an internship that was looking like it could turn into a permanent thing but then had to take a long time out to look after a severely ill close relative for several years, I did buy and sell stuff on Ebay during that time to make a little bit of extra scratch but obviously wouldn't be putting that on my resume since it's kinda something anyone does, also did volunteer work doing admin/office poo poo for various places which I obviously put on there.

When they had somewhat recovered (and someone else in the family had retired so they could take over) I had to start from the bottom essentially, I was too old or under qualified for any apprenticeships or training programs and couldn't afford to take another 3+ years for a Uni course for a chance at something (but still no actual experience) but I did manage to get another internship that unfortunately didn't turn into anything permanent before 2013 when I lucked into what I'm currently doing, which is QA Certification work for Microsoft as a contractor, it's not great (zero hour contract and the chance of that changing is near zero) but the money is good enough to survive and I did get promoted to a team lead within 6 months of starting.

I'm just unsure what to put in the massive gap between the two internships or whether to attempt to explain it on the resume, I'm sort of just applying for whatever stuff as I see it anyway so it's not a huge deal right now but if I were to apply for something I really wanted then I would want to maximize my chances in every way, so figured I'd try and do that now. I'm kinda at that age/point where I feel should be leaving off stuff like my education and internships and the like because it was so far back but I've got nothing else so I have to put it there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

thebardyspoon posted:

What do I do if I do actually have a several year gap in my employment history? After I finished my time at college I took an internship that was looking like it could turn into a permanent thing but then had to take a long time out to look after a severely ill close relative for several years, I did buy and sell stuff on Ebay during that time to make a little bit of extra scratch but obviously wouldn't be putting that on my resume since it's kinda something anyone does, also did volunteer work doing admin/office poo poo for various places which I obviously put on there.

When they had somewhat recovered (and someone else in the family had retired so they could take over) I had to start from the bottom essentially, I was too old or under qualified for any apprenticeships or training programs and couldn't afford to take another 3+ years for a Uni course for a chance at something (but still no actual experience) but I did manage to get another internship that unfortunately didn't turn into anything permanent before 2013 when I lucked into what I'm currently doing, which is QA Certification work for Microsoft as a contractor, it's not great (zero hour contract and the chance of that changing is near zero) but the money is good enough to survive and I did get promoted to a team lead within 6 months of starting.

I'm just unsure what to put in the massive gap between the two internships or whether to attempt to explain it on the resume, I'm sort of just applying for whatever stuff as I see it anyway so it's not a huge deal right now but if I were to apply for something I really wanted then I would want to maximize my chances in every way, so figured I'd try and do that now. I'm kinda at that age/point where I feel should be leaving off stuff like my education and internships and the like because it was so far back but I've got nothing else so I have to put it there.
Single gaps in employment happen all the time. People take time off for personal reasons, or to look after kids, etc. Unless your resume is full of gaps between jobs, implying that you can't hold one, it's extremely unlikely that it will have any impact on someone deciding whether or not to bring you in for an interview, especially if you're working currently (i.e. you're not in a situation where your professional skills have been out of practice for a few years).

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Question for the thread:

I have been in my role for 4 years, and am more than ready to take any chance to try another role as I'm bored and frankly pretty overqualified for what I do. I have an interview this week for a lateral move within my department which would not give me a raise, but it's a super interesting field (renewable energy) which would provide some good experience whether I stick around or move to a different company. Additionally, my best work friend was previously in this role and has been selling me to the interview team from the start; he me know that they were really happy that I'm applying for it and think a lot of me. They are only interviewing one, possibly two other people for this job. One is on my current team - she's awesome and I am sure she will be competitive but she is younger, has quite a bit less experience in the area than me and has only been with the company for a year.

I feel great about my chances for this role. However, on Thursday another member of that team announced that she is leaving the company. Her role is a higher grade of difficulty (2 grades higher than my current role, which is a pretty normal progression) and a higher pay grade, but I feel that I would still be a very competitive candidate for it. It is being advertised internally only, and I'd be getting a several thousand dollar raise if I am successful. However, they are currently down two people on a three person team, and me straight up dropping the lateral move interview might cause them some stress :ohdear: . This role would be a lot more fulfilling in terms of the work done, and it obviously won't be open again anytime soon. There would be more competition for the role, but I'm pretty sure they want to pick someone they know well as the girl who is leaving didn't even last two years and was brought in from a former HR role. She really didn't know much about the technical details/processes of the role coming in and it was pretty clear that this wasn't her passion by the time she left. It's still at a low enough level that most of the people I would have to be really worried about as competition would not be interested.

So, I do not want to blow my chance at moving on, but I would be forfeiting a substantial raise for 1-2 years if I choose the lateral move. If i miss out on both roles, I'm at the point of changing careers entirely just to get out. But, the thought of setting for less and seeing someone who is around my level of talent/experience above me on the org chart due just to bad timing would be a bitter pill to swallow. In my head, it would make a lot of sense for them to hire me at the higher level position and my current teammate at the lower leveI role, as we are friends and have a record of working really well together. I have requested a short sit down with the hiring manager on Monday as I wanted to ask a few questions about the role I'm interviewing for, but I am not sure what the etiquette should be in this case. Any advice?

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 3, 2016

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Vulture Culture posted:

Single gaps in employment happen all the time. People take time off for personal reasons, or to look after kids, etc. Unless your resume is full of gaps between jobs, implying that you can't hold one, it's extremely unlikely that it will have any impact on someone deciding whether or not to bring you in for an interview, especially if you're working currently (i.e. you're not in a situation where your professional skills have been out of practice for a few years).

To add on to this, it really is a bit of a red flag to me to see an unexplained gap. Find a tactful way to tell your story, one that leaves your audience comfortable with your situation. You don't have to get into details, but it should be a teaser for a story you will inevitably have to tell during the interview process.

Babies or family illnesses definitely happen and are things employers will overlook, but you need to understand that in a market where unemployment is relatively low, you should probably be able to explain your situation to give them a warm fuzzy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I'll go with giving a short explanation after I detail my current role and really expand on that since it's pretty spiffy and I do quite a lot of stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the etiquette on reapplying for a job if you have new qualifications? I'm planning on taking certifications for some stuff but wanted to get applications out to places as soon as possible.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

thebardyspoon posted:

If I was submitting a resume to an actual person, I would put a line in the cover letter saying how I was a caregiver for an ill family member. If I was blind-firing a resume to a website or posting, I'd put a single line in the resume with no bullets under it.

I've hired people who've given up productive years to be caregivers. Life happens, at least you know the candidate has a soul. Starting over from scratch and working your way up quickly shows grit and determination, so it's not necessarily all a negative.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How big of a red flag is your job history being about a year and a half at your current position and a little over two years at your previous position on a resume? I have reasons for both - the pay and benefits were frankly too lousy in my first job and my current situation just isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life and offers no opportunities for advancement, while the position I'm applying for is more in line with what I actually wanted to do.

But even if I try to go over that in a cover letter or during the application process, is that a huge deal or am I going to look like someone who bounces around too much and I should grin and bear it here for a few more years before I expect to get an interview anywhere?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bluedeanie posted:

How big of a red flag is your job history being about a year and a half at your current position and a little over two years at your previous position on a resume? I have reasons for both - the pay and benefits were frankly too lousy in my first job and my current situation just isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life and offers no opportunities for advancement, while the position I'm applying for is more in line with what I actually wanted to do.

But even if I try to go over that in a cover letter or during the application process, is that a huge deal or am I going to look like someone who bounces around too much and I should grin and bear it here for a few more years before I expect to get an interview anywhere?

At least in the IT industry that's pretty standard, but YMMV. In general, as long as you have decent reasons for leaving those aren't particularly short stays. It's the 5 or 10 years worth of 6-12 month stints that is telling. You aren't even close to that...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Skype interview (second interview) with a game developer (a big, popular one) tomorrow for a tech role - Jeans and a (non printed) T-shirt OK or should I go buttoned/polo shirt?

The company asked for a really creative cover letter (which I loved writing and they really liked) so I feel like its better to be more myself (t-shirt) than not.

What do you guys think?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 6, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Laserface posted:

Skype interview (second interview) with a game developer (a big, popular one) tomorrow for a tech role - Jeans and a (non printed) T-shirt OK or should I go buttoned/polo shirt?

The company asked for a really creative cover letter (which I loved writing and they really liked) so I feel like its better to be more myself (t-shirt) than not.

What do you guys think?
Unless the person who interviewed you the first time was dressed two degrees nicer, that's fine for a Skype interview with a game developer. Look clean, neat, presentable. They'll be focused on your face, not your shirt. I can't imagine they'll even see whether you're wearing pants unless they've asked you to whiteboard on a physical whiteboard for some reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Unless the person who interviewed you the first time was dressed two degrees nicer, that's fine for a Skype interview with a game developer. Look clean, neat, presentable. They'll be focused on your face, not your shirt. I can't imagine they'll even see whether you're wearing pants unless they've asked you to whiteboard on a physical whiteboard for some reason.

first interview was on the phone, although I did a Skype interview for another position with a big tech company and just had a T-shirt on and got through to the next round of the hiring process with them.

Thanks.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Thanks to everyone for the tips and everything on resume building and not being a pest during the application process, which is something I had done previously thinking it was the right way to go. I have an interview next week!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Question is leaving a direct employed job to move to a Temp to Perm position wise? I've always applied at companies directly and this is my first time I've applied for this type of position.

The staffing agency that setup the interview with the company said that it could be anywhere from 3-6 months before becoming permanent. When I spoke with the manager of the department he said the role is unfilled and are looking to get someone on as soon as possible and if it works out they would offer a permanent position. I was told that this is the way they hire for this department. I know that I'm qualified to do the work the job requires but I can't help but wonder if at the end of that temporary period if I don't fit in with the clique or management I'd be out of a job.

Not really liking my current job as of late as the opportunities that were said to take place never did and I really hate the commute. This job pays more and is a much closer commute.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KennyLoggins posted:

Question is leaving a direct employed job to move to a Temp to Perm position wise? I've always applied at companies directly and this is my first time I've applied for this type of position.

The staffing agency that setup the interview with the company said that it could be anywhere from 3-6 months before becoming permanent. When I spoke with the manager of the department he said the role is unfilled and are looking to get someone on as soon as possible and if it works out they would offer a permanent position. I was told that this is the way they hire for this department. I know that I'm qualified to do the work the job requires but I can't help but wonder if at the end of that temporary period if I don't fit in with the clique or management I'd be out of a job.

Not really liking my current job as of late as the opportunities that were said to take place never did and I really hate the commute. This job pays more and is a much closer commute.
Key question: do you work in an at-will employment state? In many states, like New York, there's no real drawback to W-2 contract-to-hire, because you can be terminated without notice for any reason already. 1099 is another story, because you're responsible for your own benefits.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Vulture Culture posted:

Key question: do you work in an at-will employment state?

Massachusetts is At Will. I was told I will get a W2 from the staffing firm during the temp period.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KennyLoggins posted:

Massachusetts is At Will. I was told I will get a W2 from the staffing firm during the temp period.
If you're an employee of the staffing firm instead of an independent contractor anyway, there's not much to lose. It's already as easy to fire you from a full-time job as a contract. Unlike independent contracting as a 1099, you're still eligible for unemployment if you get cut. If you're being offered benefits, you can still take advantage of COBRA, which is expensive but still often a better option than the exchange plans.

If you get the warm and fuzzies from the company/team, and they get the warm and fuzzies from you, and the numbers/short-term benefits make sense, go for it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am in need of further but different advice to my previous question. short version at the bottom.

Im job hunting, and I have at least 4 roles in front of me:

1. Job at games company. role is IT guy supporting 30 people. will be responsible for regular IT janitor stuff in addition to helping with events and such, connecting live streams and other things.

2. Job at a local leagues club(for the non-Australia people, think indian casino - poker machines, dining, etc) Sole IT guy taking care of Gaming systems (as in gambling), Point of sale, IT support and comms stuff. the club is one of 4, and each site has its own guy in this role. after hours is 1 week per month each.

3. Job at local tech store as a IT sales guy (retail). selling computer and accessories.

4. Work from home Tech role. Remote support from my home for a large tech co.

I have a second interview with the Games company this Saturday morning (because its with the US team, so need to find some common timezone-ground) and I am really interested in it. I think working for this company is a good fit for me based on their culture. This is also true for jobs 3 and 4. I do have reservations about it based on industry horror stories (eg. lots of forced overtime, lots of extra hours) but might be shielded from it a bit due to the role. Maybe not. Its also a 'ground up' type role because they are looking for an IT person - not to replace someone, they just dont have one. no ticketing system or anything. So there is lots of room to make my mark but I suppose lots of surface area where I can be made responsible for failures and held accountable.

I have been offered job 2. The role itself seems very similar to the games role without any of the startup type stuff (except that I am going into an empty seat with a handover document as the previous guy left) and is offering 25% over my previous role plus my superannuation. The problem is, I feel like the Games co could take a while to make a decision and that I am not finished with the interview process after the Skype interview tomorrow.

job 3 is outside my career because I have some sales experience with tech stuff, generally enjoy engaging with people about technology for home use, love gadgets and staff discounts are good. The pay would be worse, but probably would make it up in commission. There is also the possibility that my method of sales isnt aggressive enough (although I am good at selling people what they need within their budget wherever possible). I interviewed for this today and they told me I am basically hired, they just need to see the other candidates before making a final decision. Weekends would be my bread and butter here.

job 4 is for a great company but the pay is a 20% loss compared to my old job and probably a step back career wise. While it would cut out commuting time, I still need my car and all the costs that go along with it so I am only saving money on the commute. it also is weekend work and sometimes late hours. Im through to the last round of the process, so likely will be offered a job.

The last two jobs are definitely only there as a backup if the other two (well, one) dont work out. There is another job that ive also applied for that is picking up steam in the selection process which pays around 30% more but is government and probably going to be mind numbingly boring with the addition of all the beaurocracy and red tape and siloing found in that type of environment. And there is another that is another government role but a 2 year contract that is literally double the salary of my old job, but again, only 2 years.

How do I approach this? Job 2 cant get me their letter of offer/contract until tuesday. I told them I have another interview to go to and they said that waiting til tuesday is fine. If I am successful in job 1, can I use that as leverage to get more pay?

Additionally, how do I handle job 1? do I tell them I have been offered another role and if they want me they will need to speed things up? does that expose me to taking a lesser salary in the hopes of working in a better job?

This is the first time Ive been offered more than 2 jobs at once, and the first time its been 2 jobs that are both equally good. The last time this happened I chose a job in an MSP over a job working on feature films because of fears of security. I feel like job 1 could be another case of stability//security being questionable but also like it could be a great career move to establish myself for a better job elsewhere if they ever wind down

TL;DR

How long is reasonable to ask to explore other existing opportunities when you have been offered a job?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Hello BFC. I need help.

I've read the OP and I have a resume. I've had it for years in the same format, adding new roles as I've done them. I've never had any trouble finding work in the past, but I've moved back to my home country after being away since 2007 and I'm not even getting interviews. Well, that's not true, I've had three interviews for maybe thirty applications. Christmas has got in the way a bit, but I'm worried that my recent work experience is putting people off. Or maybe my resume isn't written well?

The country I've returned to is New Zealand, and I've come back from a small town in Canada, and before that I lived in Sydney, Australia.
My jobs have been:
Receptionist for a design company (99-02)
Call centre CSR for the tax department (02-07)
Research assistant for a boutique high net worth stockbroker (8 months in 07, I quit because it was awful)
Teleprompter operator for a small company in Sydney, running my department and working all over Australia. I did really, really well at that (08-11)
Then I moved to Canada and had a year's gap while my working visa came through, and then I worked in the tasting room of a craft brewery, and they loved me and wrote me a lovely letter of recommendation (12-14)
Lastly I worked as an animal care attendant for the SPCA until my marriage imploded and I hosed off back home in October last year.

I'm looking for administration type work but the three interviews I've got have been with a craft brewery as a logistics type person, for the SPCA as EA to the new CEO (both found people more suitable), and one upcoming as a stock and resource technician for a polytechnic beauty school. I've been rejected at the first stage for a lot of admin/reception type things.

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going wrong - is it that I've been out of admin stuff for too many years? Is it acceptable to post a resume for review? Has anyone got any ideas? My confidence is dropping all the time and it's super awful feeling hopeless.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Laserface posted:

How do I approach this? Job 2 cant get me their letter of offer/contract until tuesday. I told them I have another interview to go to and they said that waiting til tuesday is fine. If I am successful in job 1, can I use that as leverage to get more pay?
Sure, but Job 1 honestly sounds like a better job with better career development prospects. The work climate is probably healthier on top of it seeming to be less stressful.

Laserface posted:

Additionally, how do I handle job 1? do I tell them I have been offered another role and if they want me they will need to speed things up? does that expose me to taking a lesser salary in the hopes of working in a better job?
Don't start the conversation with an ultimatum, but call, explain that you're very interested in the position, but you have another job offer on the table and you'd like to know where they are in the process. Whoever you talk to will have enough of a clue to interpret that correctly.

Laserface posted:

This is the first time Ive been offered more than 2 jobs at once, and the first time its been 2 jobs that are both equally good. The last time this happened I chose a job in an MSP over a job working on feature films because of fears of security. I feel like job 1 could be another case of stability//security being questionable but also like it could be a great career move to establish myself for a better job elsewhere if they ever wind down
If you're working in tech in an area with a reasonable number of job openings, my usual recommendation is to not worry too much about the stability of any individual job and just work on making yourself an indispensable no-brainer hire to anyone who talks to you. Good IT people are hard to come by and the smart ones have no problem finding work on a week's notice in this job market.

Laserface posted:

How long is reasonable to ask to explore other existing opportunities when you have been offered a job?
Unless there's some circumstances which require lots and lots of research and thought (i.e. relocation), a week at the absolute most. I don't typically ask for more than three business days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks.

The HR guy from Job 1 called me last night (interview is in 1hr) and gave me some tips and what to expect. I told him about the other offer and he said it would be better to accept the role and continue to interview with them anyway as they can do it via Skype outside of business hours if I was to continue on in the interview process. anyway.

In Australia we have a 3 month probationary period where you can leave/get told to leave with only a week's notice. It's good for situations like this where you may have a better offer or find that the business isn't the best fit.

Theres still another government role that pays well that I have an interview for in a few weeks too, and a few I have applied for that are significantly more pay that I could expect normally but within my skillset.

So I guess I will take Job 2 and ride out the rest of the options as they come.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My interview is tomorrow. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but just so I know in case it comes up, how acceptable is it to negotiate salary with a government (state) job?

I know what the guy before me was making and I'd be ok with the same ballpark, but that's also probably toward the midpoint of that pay grade.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
In my experience I've never gotten to negotiate salary with state governments. It's always been take it or leave it. :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

My interview is tomorrow. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but just so I know in case it comes up, how acceptable is it to negotiate salary with a government (state) job?

I know what the guy before me was making and I'd be ok with the same ballpark, but that's also probably toward the midpoint of that pay grade.

I only have experience with state universities, which, depending on the university and the state, run similarly. One was negotiable. The other had a stated range of $5k and they just offered me the top of that range. They weren't allowed to go higher.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Thanks, I've never really had a job offer that presented negotiation on salary so I'm never sure what to expect. The application just said pay was commensurate with experience so I guess it also depends what they think of my resume, should I get offered the position.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm looking at getting out of my current city (Calgary) but I really don't care where in Canada I end up. Is there any graceful way of saying this in a cover letter? I am interested in living in the rest of Canada, but I know "just get me the hell out of Alberta" isn't something you'd put on your LinkedIn.

Most advice I see online is geared towards people for looking at a specific city/region or they already have plans to move. I know a non-local address will always be a point against me.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
Are agencies a good or bad thing? It seems like if I search for any kind of IT job on the job sites every single one of them directs me to an agency and I've heard if you apply for those jobs they don't exist but allow the agencies to harvest your details so they can contact you when you an actual job does come along.

I'm thinking I should stop communicating with agencies and try and apply with employers directly.

stickykeys fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 12, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Apply to the company directly if able. Agencies are helpful however as they may have clients that don't post publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So quick question. I've been called in for an interview for what is p. much a tech support job. They want me to do a presentation and one of the things I should include is "What is my approach to identify and deal with key challenges".

And I'm at a bit of a loss at what they're gunning for with that question. Any insight?

Oh also, they've said they're paying for travel and accommodation. Is it rude if I take a cab from the airport to there and bill them for thato r should I just take local transportation?