Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Invite Panfilo! Shitters full!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn are CAs fun to play.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao the Steam forums for this have tons of threads about Dark Judge guys.

What the hell.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Lmao the Steam forums for this have tons of threads about Dark Judge guys.

What the hell.

People are salty that they know how to play because the chinese server has been up for like a year.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I kicked all the people who haven't logged in since November so there's room now, and we're like 2 million silver away from adding another 20 slots or whatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You're now a bit over a million away from a fleet expansion, I'm not playing right now, but I can throw a million silver at the fleet to contribute. Close to broke now, but whatever, I'll get more money when I play. :v:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Don't do it! I have 5 million ready to go!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Was playing my old VW class to help a buddy start up the sub tree and I sunk every single sub on the enemy team myself, with depth charges being the only thing I fired all match.

So good. DCing subs is like, the most fun thing in the game even if it isn't always a good idea.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pubbies are very salty about Dark Judge

Goons on the other hand don't seem to be worth talking about.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cause we're not that great tbh.

Also, lol @ them crying about Dark Judge cheating. Maybe they are! Or maybe they're just saying that to troll people, who knows!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cause we're not that great tbh.

Also, lol @ them crying about Dark Judge cheating. Maybe they are! Or maybe they're just saying that to troll people, who knows!

Players calling me a "bot" is a thing in this game. Which is partly my fault for consistently wrecking poo poo and getting MvP half of the time, and for the way I spam at the start of each match.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, the upgraded main guns with improved fire and aim speed on the Pensecola make this boat.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Applied to Fleet as "bulbaros" :)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Night10194 posted:

Was playing my old VW class to help a buddy start up the sub tree and I sunk every single sub on the enemy team myself, with depth charges being the only thing I fired all match.

So good. DCing subs is like, the most fun thing in the game even if it isn't always a good idea.

I forgot ships can stop on a dime in this game. Seems like it's pretty easy to jump lone subs and just poop depth charges on them.

I love that you can manually fire your secondaries and AA guns also.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda wish I had gotten into the Pepsicola a bit sooner. It's a good bote. For anyone doing the German BB line, hang in there the payoff is really good w/ the Scharnhorst. Unfortunately you need to suffer through some really bad ships :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

Man, the upgraded main guns with improved fire and aim speed on the Pensecola make this boat.

They drop a significant amount of total damage though and 40 pen off the already kinda low 202, pretty sure 160 is too low for the deck armor of the German boats.

I stuck with the other guns in line to the NorthHampton, no complaints.

EDIT: for anyone curious on the gun math it's literally as simple as damage * # of barrels * firing rate (which is already in shots per minute).

Aiming time and precision are also somewhat important, but aiming time can be negated by pre-aiming often and is generally faster than reload anyway. Precision is important for sure but honestly you miss far more often because of bad manual leading than the gun spread on something like the Pensacola.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 12, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazz posted:

They drop a significant amount of total damage though and 40 pen off the already kinda low 202, pretty sure 160 is too low for the deck armor of the German boats.

I stuck with the other guns in line to the NorthHampton, no complaints.

It's mostly that I find the 40 pen isn't stopping me from breaking through the deck armor or pasting the smokestacks, which is the only way I was going to hurt a BB anyway, while the faster aim and reload make it better at dunking enemy scouts or lighter ships. Both are good upgrades, I'm just finding this one suits me better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
How is the Atlanta in this game? With manual AA seems like it would be a fun AA ship.

Speaking of AA, since a player has far more direct control over protecting himself I'm surprised they don't let lone carriers in battles. Between subs, aimed AA and poor plane vision they probably wouldn't dominate the same way they could in WoWS .

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Panfilo posted:

How is the Atlanta in this game? With manual AA seems like it would be a fun AA ship.

Pretty good, but not as good as you're probably thinking since the 5" guns lack their AA ability.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Ok I applied again to goons as Panfilo. Is the minimum level thing gonna be an issue? It says 'Minimum level: 11'

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

Ok I applied again to goons as Panfilo. Is the minimum level thing gonna be an issue? It says 'Minimum level: 11'

That's Roman numeral II :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
oh, lol :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of AA, since a player has far more direct control over protecting himself I'm surprised they don't let lone carriers in battles. Between subs, aimed AA and poor plane vision they probably wouldn't dominate the same way they could in WoWS .

The Atlanta is a machine gun of death, but also made of glass. It's a VERY fun boat.

There is a really good balance between CVs and everything else. A well played CV can dunk on ships, but the planes are quite fragile and can get shot down under concentrated file very quickly. I find it a MUCH better game than WoWs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Atlanta is the only boat I've ever actually run out of ammunition in. I fired every single shell I had over the course of a match, HE and AP both.

I killed a lot of boats that day.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Stanley Pain posted:

The Atlanta is a machine gun of death, but also made of glass. It's a VERY fun boat.

There is a really good balance between CVs and everything else. A well played CV can dunk on ships, but the planes are quite fragile and can get shot down under concentrated file very quickly. I find it a MUCH better game than WoWs.

How fun are CVs to play? I just got a Bogue, but I'm finding the plane mechanics a bit different than what I'm used to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

It's mostly that I find the 40 pen isn't stopping me from breaking through the deck armor or pasting the smokestacks, which is the only way I was going to hurt a BB anyway, while the faster aim and reload make it better at dunking enemy scouts or lighter ships. Both are good upgrades, I'm just finding this one suits me better.

Yeah it's one of the very few gun upgrades that is a reasonable trade off/consideration and not just "get worse at everything to shoot farther."

Panfilo posted:

The Altanta is no better at AA than the others because as said the 5" guns on most boats cannot shoot airplanes. That being said, the AA mounts on most boats are more than adequate unless you are playing a very good CV who swarms or gives you no time to shoot.

The Altanta is a monster at tier IV though, ignore the fact you have torpedos entirely and you can WRECK everyone in a DD and CL, only worrying about enemy Atlantas or heavy ship fire as you get spotted. The best way I've found to play is hanging back a little and figuring out where the solo pubstar DDs have wandered off or where there light boats have gone in force. One you get a feel for the guns (basically the same feeling as DDs but 3x the amount) you can put out like 800-900 damage each 5 second salvo against boats with 1400-1700 health.

Night10194 posted:

The Atlanta is the only boat I've ever actually run out of ammunition in. I fired every single shell I had over the course of a match, HE and AP both.

I killed a lot of boats that day.

It happens to me often enough I carry 312 rounds of AP and no HE. Basically any game where I don't get dunked becomes a race between my ammo and a pentakill. Much like the Pensacola if you can get your aim right it can actually crit on all the Jap BBs, I killed a full health Kongo in a straight 1v1 battle 2 days ago.

Panfilo posted:

How fun are CVs to play? I just got a Bogue, but I'm finding the plane mechanics a bit different than what I'm used to.

CVs can be really fun but they are very different feeling from everything else. It's a lot like playing an RTS game where you have to plan ahead and your micro has to be very, very good to really excel. A good CV player can remove the subs and battleships from a game like nobody else, but a bad CV player (which is most of them) will accomplish, quite literally, nothing. Carry the full load of torpedo planes allow and forget that dive bombers exist except as a backup. From there its just learning to manage the availability of your planes and target selection, and getting used to the lead of the torps and accounting for safe range.

One big thing that will help with torpedo planes is remembering to account for their remaining travel time to the drop point when you are aiming. If you can do that then you won't have to retarget at the last second and force them to abort and do that dumb circle where they get shot down.

I tend to wait until they are right outside my actual top-down camera view to target, so I can be as accurate as possible without having to spam commands at them because I'm dumb and bad.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 12, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If CAs stay nearly as fun as the Cola, I think they'll replace BBs as my favorite ship type.

Also, the 5.5km range on the fire-speed upgrade guns is actually really helpful for staying out of BBs' sight ranges and raining annoyance on them.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 12, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh man I just had a big night battle in the Shiratsuyu, ran silent until I popped up between two German BBs with smoke down, dumped 8 torps at like 700m for 7k damage.

:getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Night Battles are so loving cool and I love them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I played carriers on WoWS and did fine, but in this game I'm having a really hard time. I can't tell when fighters are engaging other planes, my scouts die really fast and torp planes keep missing their attack runs and having to circle back around even though they were traveling in a straight line.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Playing a CV in this game requires skill ;)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Stanley Pain posted:

Playing a CV in this game requires skill ;)

Care to elaborate? I'm asking for help here so when I use a carrier I can be genuinely useful to my team .

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

Care to elaborate? I'm asking for help here so when I use a carrier I can be genuinely useful to my team .

If you give the torp command at a crazy angle or too close for them to dive a little and drop them they will cut the run and circle around. If you are spamming commands too close they will generally gently caress up and circle around. You have to be more confident in your aiming and line it up with time for the planes to get there and not be trying to turn or something.

Fighters attack when the little white circle pops up you just kinda keep clicking in the path of the enemy planes to keep them attacking. It's micro heavy and kinda poo poo so I wouldn't worry too much unless you are specifically on fighter duty.

Scouts die. That's all there is to know there.

The best way is to use your teams spotting to do the majority of the work leading up to your torps. Go after subs under water or CLs and BBs that are busy getting shot/shooting.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Panfilo posted:

If you want, I'll throw up a training game and show you how. All I do is carriers and subs.

Just ask me in mumble, Same name in game and mumble. Just look for lockmart lawndart

Edit: Also, its the camping the stairs mumble under Steel Ocean. Check in the private game servers area for details.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Thank you for the advice.

Do Cruiser and Battleship secondaries get better at higher tiers? I'm on Florida and the problem is that the secondaries have such terrible angles it's hard to get more than 2 aiming at the target. I'm guessing that when I finally get ships that have those twin 5" turrets it'll improve.

I like being able to manually use the secondary guns! Every little extra ounce of lead helps!

Also submarines are fun so far, I have the tier III Japanese one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

Do Cruiser and Battleship secondaries get better at higher tiers? I'm on Florida and the problem is that the secondaries have such terrible angles it's hard to get more than 2 aiming at the target. I'm guessing that when I finally get ships that have those twin 5" turrets it'll improve.

I like being able to manually use the secondary guns! Every little extra ounce of lead helps!

The secondaries get a lot better starting at Tier 4. This is one of the reasons you can just ninja the gently caress out of everyone with a t3 DD.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

The get a lot better by about tier 4, yes. You don't get the sweet 5" DP mounts until VIII in the US tree though. I want a South Dakota so bad.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

If you want, I'll throw up a training game and show you how. All I do is carriers and subs.

Just ask me in mumble, Same name in game and mumble. Just look for lockmart lawndart

Edit: Also, its the camping the stairs mumble under Steel Ocean. Check in the private game servers area for details.

Record this if you do. I haven't done much with carriers, but I'm currently one of those worthless CV players that ends battles with 300 damage from the one torp that I was lucky enough to make hit a ship. Which is why I mostly play BBs and DDs, but I'm all for improving in CVs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got stuck inside an allied DD's model when we collided and we had to spend the whole match like it was a freakish three legged race.

Still killed botes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
The only difficult decision about playing American cruisers (which you should) is whether to go with the Brooklyn or the Nawlins line.

• Locked thread