Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, people have been putting out third party 5e stuff before this. What does this change beyond encouraging another d20 boom/bust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

OGL 2: d20 harder

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, people have been putting out third party 5e stuff before this. What does this change beyond encouraging another d20 boom/bust?

Well, this means that anyone can throw together 5e shovelware, which I'm sure will be wonderful for the market.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That's going to save Paizo a lot of work when they get around to doing Pathfinder 2nd edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Well, this means that anyone can throw together 5e shovelware, which I'm sure will be wonderful for the market.

I was just thinking it's been a while since the last big RPG boom/bust.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was just thinking it's been a while since the last big RPG boom/bust.

Also, in order to make sure that WotC makes more money off of the boom, you can sell your stuff through what is basically an official WotC OSR inprint. It looks like WotC will take about 15%, OneBookShelf will take 35%, and the remainder will go the writer which isn't terrible for them, but will have long term consequences, almost certainly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a game store near me that still has a bookshelf full of 3.X stuff it'll never unload. Partially because they aren't dumping it in a dollar bin but are still charging full price, but also because most of it is garbage.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's a game store near me that still has a bookshelf full of 3.X stuff it'll never unload. Partially because they aren't dumping it in a dollar bin but are still charging full price, but also because most of it is garbage.

Seriously?
I mean, I know game store owners aren't as reliably equipped with business sense as other store owners, but... seriously? Two editions later, you still charge full price?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it's one solution to WotC's inability to produce content.

gently caress Faerun, though, can I write Planescape material? No? :frogout:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Seriously?
I mean, I know game store owners aren't as reliably equipped with business sense as other store owners, but... seriously? Two editions later, you still charge full price?
Yyyup. They're never going to get rid of that poo poo.

Honestly, I just find this OGL thing frustrating, particularly how everyone seems to have forgotten the whole d20 bust and how WotC pretty much handed Paizo the ability to make D&D's number one competitor.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Is 5e even selling that well? Because this seems like either a desperation move for attention, or them dumping it out there because it's not worth making official content for.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
One of the local bookstores here still has The Foundation- A World in Black and White for full MSRP. It will be there long after the shop itself closes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's going to save Paizo a lot of work when they get around to doing Pathfinder 2nd edition.
Dammit, you beat me to this. :argh:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

The local game store here has a whole bottom shelf half full of 4E stuff. It's even marked down 75%! The only reason I don't buy it is I already have it. If it was still full price I imagine the shelf would be even more full.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Two editions later, you still charge full price?

3x stuff never really waned when it should have. People bought it to show contempt for 4e, or to kludge into pathfinder. Now they're rare OOP relics of the first edition of D&D (ever played by most brand-loyal enthusiasts.)

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Slimnoid posted:

Is 5e even selling that well? Because this seems like either a desperation move for attention, or them dumping it out there because it's not worth making official content for.

To me this comes off more as trying to get everyone to move from smaller platforms like Drive Thru RPG to their own D&D exclusive platform. "Don't distribute your stuff on those other websites, use ours and we'll provide you with support!" It's the same basic idea as the 3.X era, get everyone to just make stuff for D&D so it becomes the only game anyone plays. This time they're just fighting that fight online instead of on bookstore shelves.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

From what little I've read in this here webforum it did not work the first time and is the whole reason Pathfinder exists. What makes them think it will be any better this time?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Misandu posted:

To me this comes off more as trying to get everyone to move from smaller platforms like Drive Thru RPG to their own D&D exclusive platform. "Don't distribute your stuff on those other websites, use ours and we'll provide you with support!" It's the same basic idea as the 3.X era, get everyone to just make stuff for D&D so it becomes the only game anyone plays. This time they're just fighting that fight online instead of on bookstore shelves.

Well, except Drive thru RPG isn't a 'smaller platform' in any way when it comes to online PDF sales and this is literally just another Onebookshelf specialty site, owned by the same company as owned by Drive thru RPG, so...

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

It's the #1 game on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds by a long shot.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A couple of quotes from the DM's Guild blurb that I find interesting:

quote:

While all types of content are welcome in the Dungeon Masters Guild, there are certain types of content we think are more in demand by players, and we will therefore tend to promote it more prominently on the DMsGuild marketplace. Primarily, we’d like to see short adventures that can be run in a single session, especially ones that can complement larger campaigns already published by Wizards (e.g., Rage of Demons). Also in demand are fifth edition conversions of monsters absent from the fifth edition Monster Manual and new backgrounds for players to use with their characters. Again, we’d like to emphasize content that would be useful for other D&D players looking to expand on existing official storylines, such as a collection of demons useful for Rage of Demons. At the end of the day, though, the best content for you to write is the content you’re inspired to create. The Realms is a big place. We look forward to seeing what you create for it!

(my emphasis)

quote:

Can I distribute or sell my Dungeon Masters Guild title other places?

Except for short promotional previews, you can only distribute and sell your Dungeon Masters Guild titles through the DMsGuild.com marketplace.

They're outsourcing their shovelware, and they're trying to enforce an exclusivity clause while they're at it. If there's one thing the Tournament of Rapists bollocks taught us, it's that we need less exclusivity in the RPG marketplace, not more.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it's one solution to WotC's inability to produce content.

gently caress Faerun, though, can I write Planescape material? No? :frogout:

Yeah, Dark Sun? Eberron? Nope, only Faerun exists.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I sold my d20 collection for over $1000. There's still a market for it... at the right price. I even dumped dogs like Legends of the Samurai or The Essential Guide to Elves. You just have to know what it's worth, which often isn't much. Still, there were some books, like Ravenloft d20, that I actually made a profit on.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

From what little I've read in this here webforum it did not work the first time and is the whole reason Pathfinder exists. What makes them think it will be any better this time?

D&D's popularity only really waned near the beginning of the 4e Essentials line. Before then, the D&D was still untouchable especially when 3.5 was the current edition. It worked perfectly until they tripped over their dick near the end, so all Mearls has to do is not alienate fans of 5e if a new edition is released.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Inkelsspen dug out the the license agreement for the DM's Guild for those that want to take a look at the exact terms in use.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing is that the 5th Edition release schedule has been almost nonexistent. They put out the core books and some adventures and... that's pretty much it. As far as I know they literally have no actual game books scheduled for 2016. At this point the SRD may be the only way 5e is even going to get new material.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, except Drive thru RPG isn't a 'smaller platform' in any way when it comes to online PDF sales and this is literally just another Onebookshelf specialty site, owned by the same company as owned by Drive thru RPG, so...

Didn't realize that! Then I'm going with:

potatocubed posted:

They're outsourcing their shovelware, and they're trying to enforce an exclusivity clause while they're at it. If there's one thing the Tournament of Rapists bollocks taught us, it's that we need less exclusivity in the RPG marketplace, not more.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Meinberg posted:

Inkelsspen dug out the the license agreement for the DM's Guild for those that want to take a look at the exact terms in use.

Wow.

I'm not an expert in these things, but what little I know is telling me that is some bullshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People are going to be loving tripping over themselves to publish 5e content and have WotC take a cut, while other OGL games like 13th Age and Fate Core let you release stuff without having to pay them and get maybe two third-party releases a month.

I mean, I know 13A and Fate are doing really well, but still.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

potatocubed posted:

Wow.

I'm not an expert in these things, but what little I know is telling me that is some bullshit.

You surrender all rights to your material for a promise that they'll pay you if they make a profit from it. However you're forbidden to sue them if they don't.

How is that unfair? :shepface:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Also you can't unpublish it once it's done, and if you do just blank everything and stop selling through them everything you made is still open content that other people can use (and republish) if they have the details lying around.

E: 'Other people' in this case including Wizards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So WotC takes 50% of the PDF and print sales of anything you publish through this whole system? How does that compare to OBS's normal cut if you publish just "on your own"?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

potatocubed posted:

Tournament of Rapists bollocks

You can't drop a bomb like this without an explanation or a link.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
OBS give you 70-75% (I forget) if you're exclusive with them, or 60% if you're non-exclusive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ Yeah, I forgot I could just go to DriveThru and read about it in plain language.

So going by their website the normal OBS payout is 70% of the cost of a PDF product if you sell exclusively through them. So I write something, charge $20 for it, and I get $14 per sale.

Going through this program, I only get 50%, so $10/sale. On top of that, it looks like WotC retains a bunch of control over my product, right?

Is this the new "we're paying you in exposure"?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this the new "we're paying you in exposure"?

It's 100% this. They want people to gamble on being able to make more money selling at 50% through their store than 70% on their own.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, Dark Sun? Eberron? Nope, only Faerun exists.

Forgotten Realms needs fanwank material like the sun needs a space heater, but it's the IP they've put all their marbles into. Granted, I don't think letting beloved settings lie fallow makes a lot of sense anymore as it is, given how the market's been changed by PoD and crowdfunding. If Exalted could make over a million, how much could Dark Sun make?

But yeah, the Dungeon Master's Guild is a pretty awful deal and only really worth it if you have 60,000 words you're going to write about the Dungdales either way and you may as well get some sandwich change out of it. I have lots of old Planescape material I wouldn't mind warming up and getting some money for because it already exists, but I don't know if even that would be worth every my time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haha oh man I understood barely anything in that contract, know zilch about self-publishing, and still caught that on my own.

It really is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money.

e: I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically letting you pay them for the honor of being on the "official" D&D webstore.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 12, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, there's no real point to it unless you just have to use the Realms.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I wrote up some commentary on the DM's Guild agreement too, in case anyone cares.

(Feel free to put that in tweets or whatever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dr. Tough posted:

It's the #1 game on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds by a long shot.

That doesn't really surprise me given that it's D&D, but I mean in terms of sales. I don't know anyone who is actually playing Next--they're all either sticking with 3.PF or doing other, non-D&D games. No LGS nearby is running any games of Next insofar as I can tell.

Admittedly I stopped paying attention to Next some months ago so I'm a bit out of the loop.

• Locked thread