Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

Yeah both Upper Guk and Unrest is great for you around that level. Highpass Hold orcs was also alright, but it's only one camp, and there will never be many instances open.

Thanks! When can I start trying out Mistmore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks! When can I start trying out Mistmore?

A little closer to 20, I'd say, and you can rock out at pond and graveyard until late 20's. Also don't forget about SolA 20+ or so!

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
Sol A king camp is excellent xp and decent coin from 25-29.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So I've been farming Darkforge and FS weapons in CT and Rubi is dropping now. Is it worth holding on to?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Rage posted:

So I've been farming Darkforge and FS weapons in CT and Rubi is dropping now. Is it worth holding on to?

The bp is the poo poo! I had one back in '99 and the regen for mu halfling really cut downtime in half.

If you are farming CT, I'll give you a good price on all Ravenscale drops. Name is Ratcatcher in game, and just send me a post with what you have, and I'll send you some coin!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Good luck getting a rubi BP, CT has been crazy camped since then.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

FranktheBank posted:

I read somewhere that using old models can mess with mounts. Is that not true or is it not an issue?

If old models is an option, does new gear use velious models for armor?

The old models are charming as hell but they only have limited armor textures for each race and its been that was since the game went gold. Weapons are unchanged between model types.

You cannot use mounts with old models, at least when I was playing. No big loss unless you have some ultra rare mount or having mana issues. I never really cared for them myself but they have their uses.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Old human models can ride mounts, as mentioned. Although you just sort of stand on it.

You can also use new skeleton models if you have an AoN/are a necro or SK to ride a mount. Some other illusions might work, too.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

2 weird tricks DBG hate!

Level: 48.

PM if you want details.

PS: Not applicable for prog servers for a long time.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

2 weird tricks DBG hate!

Level: 48.

PM if you want details.

PS: Not applicable for prog servers for a long time.

Hm, that ground spawn in icefall glacier? And, I dunno, unshrouding after some PLing?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Corathus Creep quest I think. And I know you are making fun of clickbait sites, but I don't think Daybreak gives two shits about it.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 9, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Node posted:

Corathus Creep quest I think. And I know you are making fun of clickbait sites, but I don't think Daybreak gives two shits about it.
Yeah I know these kinds of things don't get any attention. They have nerfed some very highly used XP "exploits" over the years, such as Headshot, SK swarming and mage/wiz beaming, but never touched ancient poo poo like this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Yeah I know these kinds of things don't get any attention. They have nerfed some very highly used XP "exploits" over the years, such as Headshot, SK swarming and mage/wiz beaming, but never touched ancient poo poo like this.

All those nerfs were before Daybreak. The only thing Daybreak has done concerning exp is make Rain of Fear (the last "okay" expansion") exp arbitrarily worse for level 100+ so people are forcefully encouraged to play newer, shittier content.

That quest you did will just breeze you up to ~60 faster than a tank merc could ever hope to do, and it isn't widely known. Which is good.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Does anyone use ISBoxer? Im trying to set up my 3 accts and pretty much nothing i set up is working. When I try to "launch" it brings up the launcher with only 1 acct available (when i open the launcher myself, it lists 4 accts). I tried to set up follow me keystrokes to have 2 and 3 follow 1. Window 3 followed, 2 did not. I broke the auto follow on 3, and tried again, it didnt work after that.

I tried watching their tutorial videos but apparently I am too stupid.

All the guides use Alt or ctrl F keys, is there a problem with trying to use say "f4" to make the other two follow?

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 10, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Does anyone use ISBoxer? Im trying to set up my 3 accts and pretty much nothing i set up is working. When I try to "launch" it brings up the launcher with only 1 acct available (when i open the launcher myself, it lists 4 accts). I tried to set up follow me keystrokes to have 2 and 3 follow 1. Window 3 followed, 2 did not. I broke the auto follow on 3, and tried again, it didnt work after that.

I tried watching their tutorial videos but apparently I am too stupid.

All the guides use Alt or ctrl F keys, is there a problem with trying to use say "f4" to make the other two follow?
You need to configure InnerSpace so that it starts EQ with bypassing the launcher. I forgot if you can configure it in ISBoxer (which simply changes an XML file which the InnerSpace process reads - InnerSpace is what does all the work), but you can right-click the InnerSpace systray icon and choose Configuration to open the ghastly config window. Click "Game Configuration", choose EverQuest, then choose the Profile you've made for EQ. It should be similar to this:

Ultimately it will call "eqgame.exe patchme", which will launch EQ straight without the launcher. The downside is that you'll need to bypass nag screens and login on each char, but that's how it is. You can use key broadcasting to your advantage here to skip the nag screens and such.

Regarding hotkeys, it's generally a very bad idea to use "single" keys to make ISBoxer perform a hotkey, such as the F4 you suggest. You will need your basic keys on your main. All my hotkeys have two modifiers:

Shaman box: Ctrl+Shift+_
Wizard: Shift+Alt+_
Ranger: Ctrl+Alt+_

For example Ctrl+Shift+3 casts a certain buff on my shaman

Non-character specific hotkeys are also bound with Ctrl+Shift+_ since those are the easiest to type, for example Ctrl+Shift+F to make all my boxes follow.

Bonus info regarding follow macros: Make sure your macro adjusts for lag and includes a /pause, for example:

/pause 3, /tar FranktheBank
/follow

Bonus bonus: You can make a macro that breaks all your boxes' autofollow reliably.

1) Make a new hotkey.
2) On the properties page for the new hotkey, set the field "Hold any Keystroke Action while Hotkey is held" to On:

3) Add a step to the hotkey that sends the key you use to turn, for example A to turn left, to "Window All w/o Current":

You can now hold down the hotkey for a split-second and all your boxes will turn just a tiny bit, breaking autofollow. It doesn't work to just send the key without holding it down, and that's too short and won't make them turn.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Okay. So I have a follow macro on my hotbar 2, slot 12. I changed the ingame hotkey for that button to ctrl =, how do i make pressing ctrl = on my main window press ctrl = on my 2nd and 3rd windows?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Okay. So I have a follow macro on my hotbar 2, slot 12. I changed the ingame hotkey for that button to ctrl =, how do i make pressing ctrl = on my main window press ctrl = on my 2nd and 3rd windows?
Make a new hotkey. In the top panel of ISbxoer, Click Key Maps, Always On. In the bottom panel, right-click Mapped Keys, choose New Mapped Key. Give it a random name. Now in the bottom right panel, click the arrow in the Hotkey textbox and select a hotkey.

Now click the "1" under Steps in the bottom left panel, for the new key. In the bottom right panel, right click Actions, choose Keystroke Actions, choose New Keystroke Action. A panel opens up. In the right side, choose as target "Window:All w/o Current", and just below, choose your hotkey. Here's an example (I chose Ctrl+0)

This will broadcast Ctrl+0 to all boxes except the current active window, when you press the hotkey you assigned to the key itself. Note that the hotkey for the key and the keycombo that is broadcast do not have to match. You can make pressing Ctrl+X broadcast Ctrl+Shift+N to all boxes if you want, or something weird.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
NERDS

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Just kiddin'. Seriously, though, if you're thinking about playing on Phinny don't do that. It's a true-box server.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010

Pilsner posted:

I would be interested in leveling that quickly in 1.5 hours, but I don't have PM. Is there another way I can contact you in game?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Some friends of mine are playing on Phinny so I might join them in a bit. Do the UIs in the OP work correctly? And how out of date is the info for prog servers? I read up the P1999 wiki as that seems up to date but I have no idea.

I'm thinking of playing a Druid and maybe boxing another char. I haven't played EQ for a long time so any advice would be helpful.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I would just ignore the OP and Google or ask questions here as you go, and join the server wide goon channel.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The P99 wiki is up to date in the sense that it's correct for content that has likely been changed since 2000.. Certain things on TLP are true to live and some are true to 1999-2000 era EQ.

This thread is a pretty good resource (but the OP may be outdated in some cases, keep in mind it's 2-3 years old), but a lot of resources (even Allakhazam) can vary, especially on a special-rules server like Phinny. :justpost:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Things like magic item foci are in on phinny, so best in slot lists from P99 aren't 100% accurate. It's a great resource for most other things and its BIS recommendations are still solid overall.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

What are the options for boxing on Phin? Can't really be done unless using multiple PCs?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Correct. True box server means that if you want to multi, you need multiple PCs.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I thought we had some people in the thread who were single PC boxing with some complicated setup but then gave up playing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You can use ISBoxer to send commands to multiple PCs from one keyboard, I think. That's probably what you're thinking of?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Botnit posted:

I thought we had some people in the thread who were single PC boxing with some complicated setup but then gave up playing.

I tried with 4 computers, 4 monitors, and one keyboard/mouse using Synergy and Isboxer. Was still too frustrating to deal with looking all over the place.

Dropped down to 2 computers, 2 monitors, 2 keyboard/mouse then realized Phinigel is going to be a festering shithole and stopped playing there.

Went to test and now 6 box with 1 computer, 2 monitors, one keyboard/mouse and occasionally jump up to 12 box with my old level 95 characters to blow up older raids like Solteris or Steam Factory.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Botnit posted:

This is my inevitable fate. But, I needed an MMO to play and everything else sucks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I two box with a PC and a laptop. I wouldn't even attempt to try to 3 box. 2 is hard enough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RCarr posted:

I two box with a PC and a laptop. I wouldn't even attempt to try to 3 box. 2 is hard enough.

in all honesty you get used to it, plus if you're 3-boxing you're probably doing like healer+tank+dps, the healer you don't have to do much with, the dps you generally mash 1-2 keys and move every so often, the tank is the one you do the heavy lifting with.

for the healer, you just setup hotkeys that target+heal, or separate them both but hotkeys are a must.

for the dps, again you're pressing your 1-2damage buttons, casters are easiest since you can stay out of melee and it makes it easier to know when agro gets pulled etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it probably isn't too bad as long as everything is going as planned but it would get miserable real fast when poo poo hit the fan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I remember genuinely 3 boxing back in like 2002. I had 3 computers, 3 15-17" CRT monitors with their own separate keyboard and mouse. Pre merc days, so I needed to pay good attention. I had macros set up for my spells so rather than just casting complete heal, it would say "casting complete heal on %target" in group so I knew I targeted the right person.

... Can one of you tell that story at my funeral when I die alone and friendless?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Still cranking it out on phinny but I don't log in as much except to raid. MiM wants everyone to sign up for their batphone but I can't be assed to even bother because it's futile. They are never going to beat AoS to an open world spawn unless they are in the area prepped and ready and even then they will find some way to gently caress it up and lose.

Something about their leadership is really getting on my nerves. I just can't put my finger on it. There are like 2 that I can stand taking direction from, the other bunch sounds like R. Lee Emery is telling me I better be near the raid target at least an hour in advance. Two of their officers are shaman. Of the three raiding shaman, guess which one gets all the tells for buffs. Yep me. Picked up a few recruits but I only see them for Hate and Sky farming. Imagine that.

Instanced content is amazing and great. It will yield more loot/kills for any guild now compared to what most saw when the content was new and relevant. It's honestly the only thing I give two shits about. I've given up on trying to level an alt. The exp slog is too much to do a second time around, plus nobody wants Rangers, even twinked ones.

Givin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 12, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea instanced raiding is amazing. Why the hell would anyone join a bat phone guild when you can just raid the same targets whenever you want?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Batphones are for the tryhard folks looking to do the "classic era" drama races. I say this as someone in OGC, who has batphones going off all hours of the day and night.

It's poo poo and I hardly participate in them unless it's in my prime playing time, but I get why some people want to relive that.

I don't see it going away as long as zone rare bosses exist and main /picks will still spawn them. However I don't see it being a priority after velious launches. People will have enough content and only the top guild or guilds will bother to post trackers and race for them.

100% of players can experience all the content they want without worrying about an SMS at 4am.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Sam da Motha Fuckin Man Deathwalker laughs at you.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

One of the current era players, what's the deal with TBM armor having a new Weapon: Elem Damage slot? Judging from magelo it looks like heroic stats just exploded to almost double of what they were in TDS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

Sam da Motha Fuckin Man Deathwalker laughs at you.

blast from the past.

Please don't post his weirdo leather kink fetish swing hanging next to his 12 viewsonic CRT picture. It's unnecessary.