Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guys it's OK to admit that The End Of Ascalon is the coolest title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they just decide to go crazy with titles in Heavensward or something?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
You should use Of Dragon's Deep or Bug Girl.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I mainly use Nymian Marine because I love Tonberries.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

punch drunk posted:

About how long would it take me to get caught up and raid ready if I stopped playing before Heavensward dropped?

TL;DR: Mid-to-late February is a conservative estimate for raid-level if you're starting from a 2.5 level 50 character.

The thing to note is that right at the moment we're a month and change (sometime in February; probably late Feb) from 3.2, which will increase the item level and add a new raid. You have a straight-up 0% chance of being raid ready for the current raid before it gets replaced, and it's a bit garbage so I wouldn't break myself trying to rush it or anything. Being "raid ready" in that case is more about getting your item level as close to 210 as you can manage, as fast as you can. You can go back for Gordias Savage after the fact if you want some of the glamours.

Assuming you stopped right before 3.0 launched, you would need to run through the MSQs, get to 60 as part of that, and start collecting i200-210 gear to get to the gear baseline for the new raid. You could push through the MSQ in a week but it will probably take closer to two. Getting to 60 ASAP would be important to possibly give you an extra week of the time-gated tomestone.

Let's say then that you start soon, and finish in the first week of February. You'll need to hit the minimum item level to queue for the dungeons and 24-man for better gear, which can take a day or two after hitting max level. At that point you'd do dungeons, 24-man (Void Ark), and Alexander normal mode to collect gear and get tomestones. Within three weeks you'll have enough of the weekly tomes to buy a i200 weapon; that will have given you the opportunity to get three i200 pieces from Void Ark; and if you've run dungeons and Alex Normal enough the rest of your slots should be i185 or i190. That would take you to the end of Feb when 3.2 will likely drop.

That may not be quite enough for the new raid at that point (we have no idea what the difficulty level will be), but it'd probably be enough to give you a fair shot at the first floor and more importantly any non-raid content which is going to be coming out in 3.2 which likely will have even better gear then what is currently easily available. At that point raid readiness is either Right Away or more likely 1-2 weeks worth of gear collection later.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Green Eyes or bust :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There needs to be a message in the dark knight quests, in big bold flashing letters, saying "MAKE SURE DARKSIDE IS UP ALL THE TIME", multiple times if necessary. I'm getting really sick of seeing dark knights all the way to level 60 who refuse to use it.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

There needs to be a message in the dark knight quests, in big bold flashing letters, saying "MAKE SURE DARKSIDE IS UP ALL THE TIME", multiple times if necessary. I'm getting really sick of seeing dark knights all the way to level 60 who refuse to use it.

Really? I can say as someone that couldn't turn off that graphical effect for a long time that I saw most DRK's with it on everywhere; including town.

But the new wave of DRK's may be dumber than I thought.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh no they definitely have it on whenever they're idling in town, because it's cool and dark and edgy. But they make sure to turn it off when they go into dungeons because they're tanks and tanks don't need to do damage!

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh no they definitely have it on whenever they're idling in town, because it's cool and dark and edgy. But they make sure to turn it off when they go into dungeons because they're tanks and tanks don't need to do damage!

I hate everything

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of new players, I got Titan NM for LDR yesterday. Initially I was excited, but the brand new healer was so awful in that he 1) was woefully undergeared. At level 36, he was using a level 23 1-handed wand, he also wasn't wearing headgear and half of his right side gear was INT based, 2) He sat in the corner away from everyone spamming Medica (no one got hit by it) until his MP ran out and his cure 2s were hitting for 400hp on average (he was not in cleric stance), and 3) he stood in the middle during Titan's jumps despite multiple times we explained "sit at the edge" and he got hit by the landslide 3 times. We kicked him after the forth wipe. I got a goon to replace him who's cures did higher recovery than this guy's cure 2.

I was tanking as a WAR and one of the DPS (playing MCH) went on this rant about how Yoship scared away all the good veteran players like him in favor of recruiting newbies so we're just dealing with terrible players. I recently got ACT working and saw that my DPS was twice his numbers and really wanted to point out to said DPS that if he's so upset with the situation, he could maybe do better DPS than what I was doing.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress that, Darkside is one of the best things about being a DRK. You only lose 5% dmg when in Grit and it enables all the abilities that make playing it not boring as hell.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If there's no downside or timer to darkside why is it a toggle in the first place?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You want to turn it off when the boss is invincible so your MP recovers.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Darkside and Dark Arts make a strange playstyle. I think they could have easily removed one or the other and lump all the characteristic of the cut ability into the other and come out with a less confusing job. The basic idea of "consume mp to do more damage" didn't need a stance that drains mp and a separate buff that drains mp.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The problem is that a lot of DRKs seem to think that Grit and Darkside are exclusive. I've asked a couple DRKs trying to tank in Darkside to use Grit and they turn off Darkside to do it

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Title chat: as a shirtless highlander warrior, it seems clear that my only option is The Meat Axe.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I love DRK and all, but I've gone back to WAR because DRK is just such a pain in the rear end to play. It's got a ton of neat tricks, but I can get by without most of them. Having to manage the MP isn't terrible or anything, but why do that when I can play WAR and NOT manage MP? For WAR AOE, it's just "spam overpower, use some buffs". DRK AoE does more damage, but it's Salted Earth Blood Price AD DP AD AD AD AD C&S AD AD Soul Survivor AD, it's a hassle.

It's really drat satisfying when you pull it all off though. Like playing a piano, except you're a nerd and instead of making beautiful music, you wasted your life. Basically DRK is really cool, but I'm lazy as poo poo and WAR is really cool and easier work for better results.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Belzac posted:

Darkside and Dark Arts make a strange playstyle. I think they could have easily removed one or the other and lump all the characteristic of the cut ability into the other and come out with a less confusing job. The basic idea of "consume mp to do more damage" didn't need a stance that drains mp and a separate buff that drains mp.

Do people really think the DRK playstyle is strange / hard? Using MP for damage is a Final Fantasy staple. I understand some people don't want to manage their MP, and there's an inferior class for them called Paladin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had a sweet run of Dusk Vigil after my friend asked for a replacement tank at the first boss. I got into his group and he immediately said please don't hate me.

The SCH healer had his level 90 class set, the level 100 tomestone of soldiery weapon, and nothing else. My Dark Arts / Souleater combo healed more than his Physic did.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

seiferguy posted:

Do people really think the DRK playstyle is strange / hard? Using MP for damage is a Final Fantasy staple. I understand some people don't want to manage their MP, and there's an inferior class for them called Paladin.

It's not difficult it's just really loving annoying to constantly have to press DA. Instead of "push this button to make your next thing do more damages and drain your mp" they should have just put that on Darkside and maybe have it be a thing you have to maybe stance dance with.

Or even with the abilities that cost mp just make them cost more mp and do equivalently more damage. No DA required.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meiteron posted:

TL;DR: Mid-to-late February is a conservative estimate for raid-level if you're starting from a 2.5 level 50 character.

This is all good advice, though my suggestion would be to start the new relic quest ASAP for your first level 60 rather than spend three weeks of esoterics tomes on a weapon. You can get up to the i200 relic step in under a week with a relatively mild time investment (in a day or two if you are super motivated, hours if you have a completed 2.0 relic), and it frees up esoterics tomes to buy another piece or two of gear. Note that if you are starting at level 50 right now you will not finish the i210 step of the relic before patch 3.2 hits so don't kill yourself trying. You can take it at your own pace if you want to proceed past i200.

After 3.2 hits and esoterics becomes the uncapped tome (probably), the calculus changes a bit but the i200 relic will still look cooler than the i200 esoterics weapon.

Sentient Data posted:

If there's no downside or timer to darkside why is it a toggle in the first place?

The downside is if you use Dark Arts incautiously and zero out your MP right before adds show up and now your party hates you. Which I guess means no downside unless you are playing poorly.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 12, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, it can feel right lovely to have no MP when the adds come. Now that shouldn't be happening when you know how to manage it correctly, but it can be really discouraging while you're learning the class. I suggest that you keep an X-Ether on the bar for such situations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of new players, I got Titan NM for LDR yesterday. Initially I was excited, but the brand new healer was so awful in that he 1) was woefully undergeared. At level 36, he was using a level 23 1-handed wand, he also wasn't wearing headgear and half of his right side gear was INT based, 2) He sat in the corner away from everyone spamming Medica (no one got hit by it) until his MP ran out and his cure 2s were hitting for 400hp on average (he was not in cleric stance), and 3) he stood in the middle during Titan's jumps despite multiple times we explained "sit at the edge" and he got hit by the landslide 3 times. We kicked him after the forth wipe. I got a goon to replace him who's cures did higher recovery than this guy's cure 2.

I was tanking as a WAR and one of the DPS (playing MCH) went on this rant about how Yoship scared away all the good veteran players like him in favor of recruiting newbies so we're just dealing with terrible players. I recently got ACT working and saw that my DPS was twice his numbers and really wanted to point out to said DPS that if he's so upset with the situation, he could maybe do better DPS than what I was doing.

I was that goon! It was funny to join after multiple wipes and clear it on our first go, especially when one of the dps got knocked off the platform and the other dps was gaoled.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Thundarr posted:

This is all good advice, though my suggestion would be to start the new relic quest ASAP for your first level 60 rather than spend three weeks of esoterics tomes on a weapon. You can get up to the i200 relic step in under a week with a relatively mild time investment (in a day or two if you are super motivated, hours if you have a completed 2.0 relic), and it frees up esoterics tomes to buy another piece or two of gear. Note that if you are starting at level 50 right now you will not finish the i210 step of the relic before patch 3.2 hits so don't kill yourself trying. You can take it at your own pace if you want to proceed past i200.

This is actually really good advice that I had completely forgotten about. If you left the game at 2.5 with a completed Relic Zeta, then you can actually skip the time consuming step and get an i200 weapon by doing 10 dungeons, which you can whip through in a single evening. Way better then grinding tomes for an i200, and as you say this means you can pick up armour pieces with your esoteric instead, and then turn them into i210s with what you get from Void Ark.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Chairman posted:

everyone claims to like Haurchefant but how come I'm the only one I've ever seen using the <of the Silver Fuller> title

Because I have The Insatiable so everyone knows what my catgirl is all about. That is until I decide TT isn't awful and get Deck Holder cause it sounds a lot like Dick Holder

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dark knight is ok, but I really don't like having to always hit dark arts. I don't care about managing MP for damage. There's enough effort required that I'd rather just stick with warrior.

Living dead looks like tons of fun in PVP though. I wish they had a pvp option as a part of the relic grind. Like 5-10k wolfmarks will get you an item would have been awesome.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leal posted:

Because I have The Insatiable so everyone knows what my catgirl is all about. That is until I decide TT isn't awful and get Deck Holder cause it sounds a lot like Dick Holder

go away strawberry panties

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Living Dead for PVP does indeed own to where you run into a field of enemies, they all target you and you can't die, unless you have a real dumb WHM that sees that you've hit 0 and goes "OH CRAP HE'S HIT LIVING DEAD, BETTER USE BENEDICTION ASAP" when you still have 9 seconds left. At that point, because you have 12 people on you, you die immediately.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I was that goon! It was funny to join after multiple wipes and clear it on our first go, especially when one of the dps got knocked off the platform and the other dps was gaoled.

Thanks for help, Baph :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Chairman posted:

The problem is that a lot of DRKs seem to think that Grit and Darkside are exclusive. I've asked a couple DRKs trying to tank in Darkside to use Grit and they turn off Darkside to do it

I've run in to a few of those, but far more often I get dark knights who are aware of this but don't even bother, and vehemently refuse when I ask them to turn it on. The sad thing is that a dark knight can tank perfectly fine in most dungeons without ever using darkside, they just do poo poo damage. Like a ninja who never uses mudras, or a black mage who never uses enochian.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Had a sweet run of Dusk Vigil after my friend asked for a replacement tank at the first boss. I got into his group and he immediately said please don't hate me.

The SCH healer had his level 90 class set, the level 100 tomestone of soldiery weapon, and nothing else. My Dark Arts / Souleater combo healed more than his Physic did.

Back during HW's release I was in a Dusk Vigil with a tank that was using the i55 GC weapon.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
And here I felt bad still wearing a couple of Poetics pieces by the end of HW (it was mostly right-side stuff that I didn't get drops for).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jellycat posted:

And here I felt bad still wearing a couple of Poetics pieces by the end of HW (it was mostly right-side stuff that I didn't get drops for).

Wearing right side poetics gear for levels 50-59 isn't too big of a deal, because the difference between the main stat point from a poetics right side and a Library right side is only 9 points (21 versus 30), and there aren't many sidequests that drop jewelry anyways.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Wearing right side poetics gear for levels 50-59 isn't too big of a deal, because the difference between the main stat point from a poetics right side and a Library right side is only 9 points (21 versus 30), and there aren't many sidequests that drop jewelry anyways.

Pretty much. I have enough cash that I can justify dropping some on left side leveling gear for alt classes but the jewelry doesn't make enough of a difference to justify replacing until I hit 60 because who cares, it's just FATEs and leveling dungeons. Dungeon drops in the meantime are just a nice bonus.

Also the lack of room in my armory chest for rings since I still have a bunch of level 50 classes and I can't get rid of the old rings just yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just got done with a Library run with a tank who had full Ironworks left side (unaugmented) and an i130 weapon. He couldn't hold threat to save his life. It was terrible, but fortunately we were able to kick him.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Meiteron posted:

This is actually really good advice that I had completely forgotten about. If you left the game at 2.5 with a completed Relic Zeta, then you can actually skip the time consuming step and get an i200 weapon by doing 10 dungeons, which you can whip through in a single evening. Way better then grinding tomes for an i200, and as you say this means you can pick up armour pieces with your esoteric instead, and then turn them into i210s with what you get from Void Ark.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I may have left a bit before this actually. I can't remember exactly but I think it was Novus or Nexus stuff.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

punch drunk posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I think I may have left a bit before this actually. I can't remember exactly but I think it was Novus or Nexus stuff.

I wouldn't bother finishing, then. It saves you a relic step where you'd have to do a bunch of fates just like you did for Atma all that time ago, but it'll take you less time to do those fates for the relic step then it would be to finish your Zeta.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

punch drunk posted:

If that's the case, don't worry about finishing the 2.0 relic unless you really want the Zodiac / Zeta version for the glamour. Doing the first (atma) step of the new relic will be faster than taking yours to Zeta just so you can skip doing some FATEs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

I just got done with a Library run with a tank who had full Ironworks left side (unaugmented) and an i130 weapon. He couldn't hold threat to save his life. It was terrible, but fortunately we were able to kick him.

You should still be able to hold threat and survive on that gear, it just wouldn't be a good time. But anyone willingly going into the library like that probably isn't smart to begin anyways.

Edit: I once had a monk with an i100 weapon in the library. The more offensive part was that he refused to do mechanics on the final boss.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

punch drunk posted:

If you were to continue:

Novus -> Nexus: Do a bunch of unsynced solo high-speed runs of Tam-tara normal, throwing in an occasional story Ifrit to break up the monotony.

Nexus -> Zodiac: Run 16 specific dungeons once each (unsynced, but grab a friend since most are level 50), bug a crafter friend for some stuff that's pretty trivial to make now, and spend 400k gil, some poetics, and a lot of GC seals. At this point, the GC seals will probably be the biggest stumbling block (at the time it was the dungeons, since their drops weren't 100% and you couldn't unsync them).

Zodiac -> Zeta: See Novus -> Nexus, but throw in a bit of extra poetics spending as well.

• Locked thread