Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cool, altered by Nielsen herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned they modeled Kylo Ren after Therese's abs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

How does it feel to be objectively wrong with a nominally subjective statement

Magic art is the least appealing thing about Magic these days

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

:eyepop: wow, sadly this was gently caress boi Ren instead of loyal trooper.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I agree, it's heinous and awful and I'd like you to post some more cards

I like the Wizard of Oz characters.

Rinkles posted:

Kylo wishes he was this cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic art is the least appealing thing about Magic these days

Let's not go overboard here, there's a lot of bad things about magic.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Uh, MTG art has plenty of bright colors. It's cool if you'd rather see some anime girl on a card instead of "generic fantasy creature #4325" but at least just say you like anime instead of pretending its the color palette or whatever.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

The real reason is that more numbers = more better

God, this is so easy. You just start by making every creature have ten times the power/toughness and a new ability word that makes you divide the damage they deal to players and creatures without that ability word by ten. And then round down.

Do I have to think of everything?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Uh, MTG art has plenty of bright colors. It's cool if you'd rather see some anime girl on a card instead of "generic fantasy creature #4325" but at least just say you like anime instead of pretending its the color palette or whatever.

I do like anime! I'm not pretending anything. I just (also) scroll down an entire set's worth of cards (eg this) and see less colors put together than in that single Little Red Riding Hood card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I like anime

Also Wizards is making a concerted effort to slam Magic's art direction into the uncanny valley or w/e

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Can I opt for neither the bland justice league marysue pinups done in shades of a single dominant color, or the anime rainbow vomit with one billion things going on that makes it unnecessarily difficult to read the card text because it's full art instead of having a proper textbox because of course it is

Also, is the cowardly lion literally wearing a schoolgirl uniform? I mean that's not even something that really offends me, but it sure as hell makes me go, "YUP, that's :anime:"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's kind of a neat exercise to divide a Yugioh's creatures attack/defense by 400 to see what their equivalent P/T would be in Magic, and the reverse for Magic.

Like Griselbrand would be a 2800 attack creature in Yugioh, which for a long time was kind of associated with good monsters (Goyo Guardian, Dark Armed Dragon) provided they had an ability that was insane.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Funny thing is that the latest magic cards that appealed to me were the anime looking ones. The ones that looked like they came from final fantasy. There's no more Guay or Nielsen art.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Two cards, two artists, Nissa making green magic stuff swirl around ferns. The only difference is Nissa has a staff in the second one.

Is that why that card gains life but the other doesn't?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Funny thing is that the latest magic cards that appealed to me were the anime looking ones. The ones that looked like they came from final fantasy. There's no more Guay or Nielsen art.

I never thought of anime when I looked at Guay or Nielsen but if it pressed that button for you, more power to you.

I guess I would agree with the statement that both the aforementioned artists and (some) anime have more of an artistic bend that at least interests me more than the worse offenders of the photorealism shift in Magic art, so they're alike in that respect.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Two cards, two artists, Nissa making green magic stuff swirl around ferns. The only difference is Nissa has a staff in the second one.

Is that why that card gains life but the other doesn't?

The staff costs 3 mana though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I never thought of anime when I looked at Guay or Nielsen but if it pressed that button for you, more power to you.

Nothing in Chill la Chill's post said he did, either.

He just said he prefers the animesque art because all of the really interesting art is gone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apropos nothing

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nothing makes me thankful for magic art quite like looking at FoW or yugioh or whatever. At least we've got a frame layout with sensible design and font choices to make it readable and the biggest complaint about the art is that it tends to get a bit same-y for certain kinds of cards and there's a bit too much bland CG work.

You can pick out bad examples but at least the individual cards on average aren't unreadable anime dumpster fires.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Apropos nothing

This crop would make a better card art than the picture it's cropped from

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

He just said he prefers the animesque art because all of the really interesting art is gone.

Yeah. The only really new art that appeals to me is the Thalia that looks like FF12 Lightning. Also an anime. But drat if MTG made a Jojo Jace art... :swoon:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's kind of a neat exercise to divide a Yugioh's creatures attack/defense by 400 to see what their equivalent P/T would be in Magic, and the reverse for Magic.

Like Griselbrand would be a 2800 attack creature in Yugioh, which for a long time was kind of associated with good monsters (Goyo Guardian, Dark Armed Dragon) provided they had an ability that was insane.

So would there be anything that beats Emrakul (or say, Marit Lage) at base?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ah, I parsed his post wrongly. I read 'The last time Magic art appealed to me was when it had elements of anime, like final fantasy. Now there's no more Guay or Nielsen art' and took the implication to be that those two artists were examples of the elements of anime, so when artists like them stopped getting Magic work, the anime disappeared.

(The fact that Nielsen actually hasn't(?) stopped working for Magic yet aside, if course.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kirtar posted:

So would there be anything that beats Emrakul (or say, Marit Lage) at base?

actually, yes

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

Apropos nothing

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ha ha, that's amazing. Got an english version of that to read?

JerryLee posted:

Also, is the cowardly lion literally wearing a schoolgirl uniform? I mean that's not even something that really offends me, but it sure as hell makes me go, "YUP, that's :anime:"

:crossarms:

It's just a shirt and shorts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

JerryLee posted:

Ah, I parsed his post wrongly. I read 'The last time Magic art appealed to me was when it had elements of anime, like final fantasy. Now there's no more Guay or Nielsen art' and took the implication to be that those two artists were examples of the elements of anime, so when artists like them stopped getting Magic work, the anime disappeared.

(The fact that Nielsen actually hasn't(?) stopped working for Magic yet aside, if course.)

the real anime art was by quinton hoover anyway :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

Ha ha, that's amazing. Got an english version of that to read?

No, it's Japanese only now, but the gist of it is it can't attack and your opponent has to attack into it or they lose the duel during their turn

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, it's Japanese only now, but the gist of it is it can't attack and your opponent has to attack into it or they lose the duel during their turn

So your opponent is effectively in The Abyss.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ramos posted:

It's just a shirt and shorts.

Yeah, I can see it being shorts instead of a skirt, but the top still looks like basically this sort of style:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a boy's private school uniform like the one in the Bully video game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's a male school uniform that has shorts instead of long pants.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

From what I can read, the name is "Don Thousand/Monster C"

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, I can see it being shorts instead of a skirt, but the top still looks like basically this sort of style

Male students wear the same style. :ssh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Okay then, fair enough, I misspoke by saying schoolgirl. I should have said schoolboy which is still a :raise: moment for me. :v:

As I said, though, it's not a terribly offensive piece of art to my sensibilities, and in fact I like it more from a compositional standpoint (admittedly not a low bar) than the rainbow whirlpool backgrounds of some of the anime chicks.

Other examples of "good," or at least less offensive, FoW card art from the OP of the FoW thread:

this actually looks like it could be some Orzhov card, complete with the dramatic horizon tilt that's all over Magic now, but the bright tones on the robe sort of save it

this is pretty decent all around

Basically what I'm getting is that magical girls, specifically, are a huge trap for these sorts of illustrators.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Going back to standard turnouts...

Brownhat posted:

Standard needs Khans to rotate out so badly.

Once RtR rotated the player base at the store I frequent sharply dropped, going from maxed out 72 player events to 50-ish. By the time Fate dropped we were looking at 30's to low 40's and it has stayed at that since. The store also ran a rotating secondary event for 2 or 3 months which drew more people than standard each time (Legacy, Modern, Draft).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dehtraen posted:

Once RtR rotated the player base at the store I frequent sharply dropped, going from maxed out 72 player events to 50-ish. By the time Fate dropped we were looking at 30's to low 40's and it has stayed at that since. The store also ran a rotating secondary event for 2 or 3 months which drew more people than standard each time (Legacy, Modern, Draft).

We had massive 80-100 people in standard during RtR. Much smaller now.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dehtraen posted:

I want to say during RTR-THS standard my store regularly had 16-24 players with occasional spikes to >32. After that rotation a significant number of players began to either stick to draft or switch to Modern.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

From what I can read, the name is "Don Thousand/Monster C"

I didn't know Don Thousand had a card but I guess all the villains from his arc had corresponding cards.

Hell there's even a card that corresponds to the (fusion of the) protagonists in the manga:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah doing 5000 damage makes you feel like a more powerful wizard than doing 5. Pokemon also has the cool contoured foils that we're never gonna get in magic unless you wanna see Kibler rubbing his cards every time he shuffles.

Maybe if you're like 5 years old and truly care about games making you feel like a more powerful wizard because zeroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

• Locked thread