Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I use the imgur app on my 5x and cannot recall seeing any ads. In chrome, on news sites it rampant though. Where on mobile imgur via the app are ads presented?

It was via the browser, I've never used the app. Maybe now's a good time for me to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

I use the imgur app on my 5x and cannot recall seeing any ads. In chrome, on news sites it rampant though. Where on mobile imgur via the app are ads presented?

I don't know about imgur since I don't use the app. Browser and various other apps (Play Newsstand in particular) is where things go south in a hurry.

Yes, there are alternative browsers (like the adblock one) that don't require root, however while you can make them the default browser they won't replace the built in webkit one that launches from most apps (like Newsstand). I also like Chrome integration since I use it on the desktop.

There are lots of links to stories in Newsstand (and other apps) that launch the Webkit browser and if you don't have any kind of ad blocking you are in for a treat, most times. Over the last couple of years many mobile ads that I've run in to (in the US even) have come pretty close to the "grey" line between legit and outright scam as well. Google may police out the worst malware but there's plenty of poo poo that comes too close for my tastes.

So I root, install one of the better blockers (i.e. app that periodically refreshes lists of ad sites and updates the host file automatically) and avoid it all. If that makes my phone slightly less secure so be it, I'm betting I'll run in to less problems this way than a stock user dealing with ads (the day when a malware ad gets through and finds a way to gently caress with phones is coming, just like has long been the case for desktops).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ixian posted:

(the day when a malware ad gets through and finds a way to gently caress with phones is coming, just like has long been the case for desktops).

I'm sure this already happens, but likely not on as big of a scale as desktop yet. Look at stagefright, it's not hard to imagine that someone has found and used a zero day via mobile browser.

Anyway, getting closer to the topic of Project Fi, I got spigen thin case for the Nexus 6p. It was cheap, looks good, feels decent for grip. The bottom by the charging port though, it sucks. I put my pinky there when using it to stop it from sliding and it's got this sharp edge that is really uncomfortable. If you use the phone with your pinky on the bottom like me then I'd advise against the spigen case.

Tots fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 3, 2016

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

N'ing the rejection of nexus 5x hate; I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and now that it's setup and finished it's background tasks, it is extremely smooth and reliable. Battery isn't even too bad - I'm at 81% battery with four hours off the charger and 50 minutes of SoT. I also am actually loving having a plastic, blocky phone. So much easier to hold than my iPhone or nexus 6.

Fi is also impressing me. I'm finding that most places I use my phone (such as laundry right now) have open networks it automatically connects to, and if it wasn't for using half a gig the first day stupidly syncing and downloading poo poo, I'd be well under two gigs, making this easily the cheapest plan around.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

There is a browser called adblock, it works pretty well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tots posted:

I'm sure this already happens, but likely not on as big of a scale as desktop yet. Look at stagefright, it's not hard to imagine that someone has found and used a zero day via mobile browser.

Anyway, getting closer to the topic of Project Fi, I got spigen thin case for the Nexus 6p. It was cheap, looks good, feels decent for grip. The bottom by the charging port though, it sucks. I put my pinky there when using it to stop it from sliding and it's got this sharp edge that is really uncomfortable. If you use the phone with your pinky on the bottom like me then I'd advise against the spigen case.

I have the Rinke Fusion case for my 6p (it's on Amazon, Prime) and it's great, actually one of my favorite cases ever.

Adds hardly any bulk, looks great, has so far done an excellent job protecting my phone from scratches and the occasional short fall to the floor, and comes in several colors. I have the clear version because I like the look of the phone as it is.

No sharp edges and it's easy to rest your finger around the charging port. Volume and power buttons (they are extenders) work fine, in fact I like them better because on the case volume up and down are separated. I haven't had any issue doing things like double clicking power for the camera or taking screenshots (power+volume down) either.

It does have a headphone jack cover/plug. It's easy to pop on and off and can be a good thing, depending on how you look at it, but may annoy some people.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Is anyone else running into the issue of not being able to initiate a SMS message from a PC? I can reply to any conversations that I've already started, but if I'm trying to start a SMS conversation with non-recent contact I can't figure out how to do it. Typing in names pulls up anyone in the world with a Google+ (I think?) account which is not helpful at all.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tots posted:

Is anyone else running into the issue of not being able to initiate a SMS message from a PC? I can reply to any conversations that I've already started, but if I'm trying to start a SMS conversation with non-recent contact I can't figure out how to do it. Typing in names pulls up anyone in the world with a Google+ (I think?) account which is not helpful at all.

No but I use google hangouts to initiate messages from my computer. I don't think there is a way to do it straight SMS.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If you type the phone number in the search box it'll let you send an SMS to it. Of course it doesn't autocomplete with your contacts' info because :google:, but if you have the number memorized it works fine.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you type the phone number in the search box it'll let you send an SMS to it. Of course it doesn't autocomplete with your contacts' info because :google:, but if you have the number memorized it works fine.

This is dumbaf and I honestly can't imagine why this is an issue that wouldn't have been addressed.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I don't know why you are having issues. I use the Chrome Hangouts app. Clink the phone icon at the bottom of the left panel and you have all your contacts. Search by name at the top, click SMS on their name in the results.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
How is Fi in general as far as service goes? Currently using At&t with a 6GB Family share plan of which we might use 2GB on average which means if I switch to Fi it would cost me about $40 dollars a month per line where I am currently paying about 99 per line. Any noticeable signal issues, call quality issues or just sms, mss woes?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

How is Fi in general as far as service goes? Currently using At&t with a 6GB Family share plan of which we might use 2GB on average which means if I switch to Fi it would cost me about $40 dollars a month per line where I am currently paying about 99 per line. Any noticeable signal issues, call quality issues or just sms, mss woes?

That's going to depend heavily on where you are. Any major metro should be fine. Fi uses a combination of Sprint/T-Mobile, so in theory any place where either of them has service will be good to go. Personally, I haven't had any service issues so far that I didn't already have on AT&T (like an occasional dead zone when travelling).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Tots posted:

That's going to depend heavily on where you are. Any major metro should be fine. Fi uses a combination of Sprint/T-Mobile, so in theory any place where either of them has service will be good to go. Personally, I haven't had any service issues so far that I didn't already have on AT&T (like an occasional dead zone when travelling).

Ahh, I thought for some reason it used more than sprint and tmobile. I live in Charlotte, NC so t-mobile coverage is getting better, but sprint is terrible from what I understand

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
It's also one of the few phones/services that gets Wifi right. Meaning if you are in your house/office/etc and have decent Wifi you'll never touch Sprint or T-Mobile, all your calls, texts, and data will go over Wifi, seamlessly. If it goes down, Fi decides the connection is poo poo, or you leave, you'll switch to one of the other networks. Works great.

Outside of Wifi coverage it's whatever T-Mobile/Sprint have in your area that determines your experience. Mine so far (I've been on Fi since July and traveled all over the world with it) has been great. It helps that I have an AT&T work phone that I also have to carry to compare to. There have been a few times - in LA, for some reason - where AT&T got a signal my Fi phone didn't but those are rare.

You also get credit for data you don't use so you'll probably save even more on it. My Fi bills are ridiculously lower than AT&T.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I don't know why you are having issues. I use the Chrome Hangouts app. Clink the phone icon at the bottom of the left panel and you have all your contacts. Search by name at the top, click SMS on their name in the results.

Ah, okay that works. That is definitely unintuitive though. I have to click "Make a Call" then start typing before being able to send the new SMS. I would expect typing in the main box to search would look in "My Contacts" instead of searching "People on Hangouts" (people who I have 0 relationship with).

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I got one of those Nexus 6 that were on sale on Amazon recently. Is anyone running Fi on 6.0 or should I regress back to Lollipop? The app keeps spewing error codes at me. Current one is T078.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm running on 6.0.1 and its been fine.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

withoutclass posted:

I'm running on 6.0.1 and its been fine.

Mind telling me what the image number is? I'm running MMB29S on a fresh install and it's been giving me grief. The Project Fi App won't give me jack poo poo but error codes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
MMB29K

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't had many problems on 6.0.1 on Fi with the Nexus 6 (which I also got on the black friday amazon deal). The most recent was one where the Play Store kept telling me Background Data was off and it needed to be on for the Play Store to work. It was on, it was just bugged, but clearing cache and data for the play store (as well as force stopping it) fixed it up. Other than occasional bluetooth weirdness it's been pretty solid. I'm on build MMD29S.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
After using Fi and 5x for a week I'm kinda torn. The 5x is too big and Fi has trouble hanging on to a signal. I drove from LA to SF and the whole way up Fi was bouncing around from LTE to 3g to Edge and couldn't hold on to any of them, i was just in my office on good Wifi and Fi just dropped my call. I do like how cheap it is so hopefully Google makes it better.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Casual Yogurt posted:

After using Fi and 5x for a week I'm kinda torn. The 5x is too big and Fi has trouble hanging on to a signal. I drove from LA to SF and the whole way up Fi was bouncing around from LTE to 3g to Edge and couldn't hold on to any of them, i was just in my office on good Wifi and Fi just dropped my call. I do like how cheap it is so hopefully Google makes it better.

I had a lot of problems in LA until I installed Signal Spy and manually set it to TMobile while in town. Something is off with auto switching and or Sprint there on Fi. I reported it to Google.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Anybody else get the prompt in the Fi app to take a survey on the service? It asked me a question about if I would want to know what service I was on at any time, so perhaps that's in the works...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My first bill came in - I only used 494MB of data since December 14th :aaa:

This was way beyond my expectation. The T-Mo data usage page used to say I utilized about 6GB per month, so I figured with cutting out some music streaming in the car while driving here and there I'd get it down to half that. Whether that was true or not (aside from not listening to as much streaming music in the car, I haven't really used my phone that much differently), Fi's going to save me a poo poo ton per month, about $55 compared to the unlimited plan I used to subscribe to.

As an aside, I did the math and it turns out that if you stream music at 40kbps (for example DI.fm lets you set different streaming rates per data connection type), you only burn through about $0.17 of data per hour :eng101:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

My first bill came in - I only used 494MB of data since December 14th :aaa:

This was way beyond my expectation. The T-Mo data usage page used to say I utilized about 6GB per month, so I figured with cutting out some music streaming in the car while driving here and there I'd get it down to half that. Whether that was true or not (aside from not listening to as much streaming music in the car, I haven't really used my phone that much differently), Fi's going to save me a poo poo ton per month, about $55 compared to the unlimited plan I used to subscribe to.

As an aside, I did the math and it turns out that if you stream music at 40kbps (for example DI.fm lets you set different streaming rates per data connection type), you only burn through about $0.17 of data per hour :eng101:

Yeah but 40kbps sounds like butt too :rimshot:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah but 40kbps sounds like butt too :rimshot:
That's true, but its 40kbps AAC over my car's sound system. It's good enough when driving around town :v:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I just signed up for FI in Austin and today was my first day with my new 6p on the network. So far it's been pretty good and is shaping up to demolish my lovely $85 6gb att plan. Not only do I get full signal at the office where I wouldn't get anything on att, but I've tried hopping on the company wifi and calls sounded great. I haven't tried switching from wifi to cell yet and I understand that it won't work the other way, but I don't talk and walk enough to worry about losing cell signal while having wifi.

I did have some trouble calling the gf while on the toll road which is on the outskirts of town. Att always worked there but would sound like rear end so it may have been a bad area or something else. I didn't try much.

I'm loving having a nexus device and getting cutting edge updates. I don't suppose I can opt in to nightly builds automatically?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Can anyone share their personal experience using Fi on a Moto X Pure?

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Sneeze Party posted:

Can anyone share their personal experience using Fi on a Moto X Pure?

I doubt it since Fi is only can only work with the Nexus 5x, 6, or 6p.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

watwat posted:

I doubt it since Fi is only can only work with the Nexus 5x, 6, or 6p.
Not exactly. My understanding is that the Moto X Pure will work with Fi, but it's unclear whether or not the phone can switch from T-Mobile to Sprint, or whether or not voice calls can work correctly over WiFi. I'm having a hard time finding what I'd consider to be good sources via Google, so I'm asking here.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
There was already discussion on this topic. IIRC, the thought is that while the phone may work more or less, it is in violation of Google's TOS, and they may come down hard if they detect you are not using it as intended. Or not, no one knows, but I doubt you want to be on Google's poo poo list.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sneeze Party posted:

Not exactly. My understanding is that the Moto X Pure will work with Fi, but it's unclear whether or not the phone can switch from T-Mobile to Sprint, or whether or not voice calls can work correctly over WiFi. I'm having a hard time finding what I'd consider to be good sources via Google, so I'm asking here.

Any GSM phone can, in theory, "work" on Fi. People in this thread have had it running on an iPhone. It's also a violation of their terms of service and the results are so far unpredictable. Maybe they will just ignore it, maybe they will disable your service if they detect it, nobody knows.

But you're going to have a hard time in general finding specific experience for non-Nexus 5x/6/6p phones since the majority are using the proper devices.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

IIRC, when the MXP came out a number of people tried Fi on it and like any other GSM phone, it stayed on T-Mobile the entire time. I doubt that's changed.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I'm on track to use 1gb in January, I really expected to use more since I'm on my phone the whole time while commuting. Service in Chicago is great but not as great as VZW was, there are a few spots where I lose data around Halsted and 18th.

Overall rating of PFi/5X: 9.5/10

Is there a way to turn off the google now whole-page view while keeping the widget on?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering if my Nexus 6 is just not primed for Google Fi. The official images for Android 6.0 and Google Fi do not work. So I rolled back to 5 using one of the Google Fi images. Google Fi then works and it pushes me an update for Android 6. I download it and when it reboots it runs for maybe 1/5th of the bar before it throws an error.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

YouTuber posted:

I'm wondering if my Nexus 6 is just not primed for Google Fi. The official images for Android 6.0 and Google Fi do not work. So I rolled back to 5 using one of the Google Fi images. Google Fi then works and it pushes me an update for Android 6. I download it and when it reboots it runs for maybe 1/5th of the bar before it throws an error.

Mine has been fine on Marshmallow and I've only had it since December. Maybe your phone has a hardware problem?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rexxed posted:

Mine has been fine on Marshmallow and I've only had it since December. Maybe your phone has a hardware problem?

It seems like the Project Fi app just gets lovely with Android 6. It works fine under Lollipop and my T-mobile service was flawless with it as well. The OTA seemed to have failed and now says I'm "up to date" despite being on Lollipop still. I'll go see what the wiz kids have come up with over at XDA, using official Google help is worthless as the advice is always "clear cache on apps" or "factory reset" as if that is warranted on a fresh device out of the box.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

It seems like the Project Fi app just gets lovely with Android 6. It works fine under Lollipop and my T-mobile service was flawless with it as well. The OTA seemed to have failed and now says I'm "up to date" despite being on Lollipop still. I'll go see what the wiz kids have come up with over at XDA, using official Google help is worthless as the advice is always "clear cache on apps" or "factory reset" as if that is warranted on a fresh device out of the box.

No, something else is wrong. This is not a common issue, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so the problem was this: When I flashed to the current factory images I didn't flash the radio image. I flashed boot cache recovery system and userdata. The gibberish radio image didn't stand out so I didn't flash it. When booting into the new Android image it had a hosed up baseband and the Project Fi uses some wacky bullshit so it decided the best course of action was to just give an error code.

As for the failed OTA the best educated answer I could come up with is the fact I flashed at all. Apparently if the device detects it's been modified at all it will throw an error during OTA.

Everything appears to be working and I'm even now rooted so I can use AdAway to view the internet like a civilized person.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 19, 2016