Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rujasu posted:

For me he would always close the cape while my mage was half-way through chanting a Waterja, which is fun because you waste an ability charge and heal him.

Gotta love him keeping his cape closed, opening it, and then closing it again one turn later while you have a bunch of ice spells cued up. Joy. I forgot that thief attacks worked on him for that fight, by the way. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Augus posted:

Gotta love him keeping his cape closed, opening it, and then closing it again one turn later while you have a bunch of ice spells cued up. Joy. I forgot that thief attacks worked on him for that fight, by the way. :shepicide:

Thief abilities only work on the Ultimate fight, which is a much more predictable fight. And yes, he's totally obnoxious in the non-Ult fight, and you have to get extremely lucky for him NOT to be a dick. From the AI reddit post:

quote:

While in Normal Form, Rubicante will shift to Cloaked Form immediately after using either version of Inferno.

There is initially a 30% (30/100) chance after every turn that Rubicante will shift back to Normal Form. This chance increases every turn (30/99, 30/98, 30/97, etc.) until he finally changes form.
Normal Pattern:
30% Attack (PHY: 110% Phys Dmg)
50% Inferno (NAT: 500% Fire Magic Dmg)
20% Inferno (NAT: AoE - 350% Fire Magic Dmg)

So every turn he's uncloaked he has a 70% chance of going cloaked immediately on his next turn. Once he's cloaked, he's only got ~30% chance to uncloak every turn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I have no idea what you're talking about wrt Yunalesca, that fight was a joke no matter how you did it.

I spent about two and a half hours on Yunalesca. If you don't do Advantaliate it is not a joke in any way, shape, or form. 50% AOE Osmose means you deal no damage in the second half of the fight and oh oops AOE Holy (because you have no abilities so are taking forever) means you just lost mastery.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Oh oops right, I was stupid; he only has spellblades.

Actually are there any characters, besides Tyro, with Samurai 2, Thief 4? I can't think of any.

All Thief and Samurai characters will have access to Samurai + Thief skills once we get the core augmentation system. :unsmigghh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurai posted:

I spent about two and a half hours on Yunalesca. If you don't do Advantaliate it is not a joke in any way, shape, or form. 50% AOE Osmose means you deal no damage in the second half of the fight and oh oops AOE Holy (because you have no abilities so are taking forever) means you just lost mastery.

I did it without retaliate and beat the tar out of her, sounds like you just need to git gud :smuggo:

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Beat Ultimate Rubicante by going with a mage setup. Fortunately, FF4 is the realm where I have the most synergy mage weapons and the best RES gear (I've pulled a bunch of the 4* robes), so this sort of fight is right up my alley. Still had to S/L once because I let SG fall just after Rubicante shifted to weak mode and didn't notice until after I had queued up everyone's attacks. That gave him enough time to kill someone with 1500 damage infernos. Second attempt went smoothly, though.

Zurai posted:

I beat her on my first try without Advantaliate, but I made sure to only bring abilities with 8+ uses and still had been drained almost completely dry by the time she died. And it's not like she was spamming Osmose as much as she could have.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I retaliate everything and I will until they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I retaliate everything and I will until they pry it from my cold dead hands.

This, unless the RNG is generous to me with BSSBs and such so that I can Lifesiphon murder things forever.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
My only ssb is rinoa's, which while powerful I don't think she can use lifesiphon.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It must be nice to have good SBs, my "best" is Angel Wing Quake which is a crappy element and is a very meh damage 2-hit. It's literally my only damaging unique SB. :negative:

Here's hoping I have luck with my future 11 pulls on Yuffie banner.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
By the way, I never thought the day would come in which my 5 20/20 Black Cowl++'s were actually helpful at all... but here we are. 136 RES is pretty good.

That being said I'm only using three of them since I have a Black Robe as well, and I need more ATK on my retaliator lol.

Planning this team out is driving me crazy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

Thief abilities only work on the Ultimate fight, which is a much more predictable fight. And yes, he's totally obnoxious in the non-Ult fight, and you have to get extremely lucky for him NOT to be a dick. From the AI reddit post:

So every turn he's uncloaked he has a 70% chance of going cloaked immediately on his next turn. Once he's cloaked, he's only got ~30% chance to uncloak every turn.

Yeah, I'm not gonna bother boing back and mastering that. gently caress it.
Pretty weird that the "easy" fight has more or less the all-around more bullshit pattern while the Ultimate fight is more predictable, but has bigger numbers.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Finally mastered Rubicante. Does silly damage through SG/Boon/FB/MB/Lulu's Focus. Having no natural wall makes Ultimate fights really challenging.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I think I'll spend some of my time grinding Black Power. What's the drop rate on them GPOs and GBOs?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Pretty drat good in the + stage, it's normal to see 2-3 greaters per 60 stam.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
So this is what I'm looking at right now for going into Rubicante:

Amigo/Tyro : Steal Power R3 / Tempo Flurry R5
Pencil : Double Cut R4 / Shellga R2
Cloud : Blizzara Strike R4 / Retaliate R5
Celes : Watera Strike R4 / Haste R3
Y'shtola : Renewing Cure R4 / Magic Breakdown R4

Y'shtola has access to the Healing Wand's AoE heal SB and Stoneskin. Unfortunately I don't have Double Hit or Dragoon's Determination yet, so I'm working with these Record Materia most likely. My Full Break is only R1, so I don't think it's worth it so I'm putting Tempo Flurry on Tyro instead. I haven't gotten all the growth eggs from the event yet, so I might slap those on Celes to bulk her up a bit. Pencil and Tyro will probably be fine.

I don't have the spells for mage meta so Advantaliate is still my best bet. Really hoping I can make it with this.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 13, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

So this is what I'm looking at right now for going into Rubicante:

Amigo/Tyro : Steal Power R3 / Tempo Flurry R5
Pencil : Double Cut R4 / Shellga R2
Cloud : Blizzara Strike R4 / Retaliate R5
Celes : Watera Strike R4 / Haste R3
Y'shtola : Renewing Cure R4 / Magic Breakdown R4

Y'shtola has access to the Healing Wand's AoE heal SB and Stoneskin. Unfortunately I don't have Double Hit or Dragoon's Determination yet, so I'm working with these Record Materia most likely. My Full Break is only R1, so I don't think it's worth it so I'm putting Tempo Flurry on Tyro instead.

I don't have the spells for mage meta so Advantaliate is still my best bet. Really hoping I can make it with this.

Don't make the same mistake I did- give Magic Breakdown to someone else. Y'shtola will be too busy healing to use it, which will make things way too hectic. Vaan or Faris with Steal Power + Magic Breakdown is a good choice (unless you need Tyro for Sentinel Grimoire).

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't make the same mistake I did- give Magic Breakdown to someone else. Y'shtola will be too busy healing to use it, which will make things way too hectic. Vaan or Faris with Steal Power + Magic Breakdown is a good choice (unless you need Tyro for Sentinel Grimoire).

I totally, would but Butz is my closest choice and he's only level 50 unfortunately. I can try to power grind him in the next few days but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Actually I think maybe Zidane can do it? He's not ideal, but he is level 65 at least. Let me check.

Also I fixed the images for realm synergy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

I totally, would but Butz is my closest choice and he's only level 50 unfortunately. I can try to power grind him in the next few days but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also I fixed the images for realm synergy.

Butz can't use Breakdowns anyway. Who do you have leveled with 4* Support or higher? There's gotta be another setup you can work out.

Edit: what am I saying, just give Magic Breakdown to Tyro. It's more valuable than another double cut, believe me.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Butz can't use Breakdowns anyway. Who do you have leveled with 4* Support or higher? There's gotta be another setup you can work out.

I think Zidane, let me check.

Damnit Zidane why are you Support 3

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 13, 2016

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: what am I saying, just give Magic Breakdown to Tyro. It's more valuable than another double cut, believe me.

Should I throw a boost on Y'shtola then since she won't have the time to be swinging, or should I grind a memento up and switch renewing to curaja?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My FF4 synergy is mighty but I'm having a hell of a time with Ultimate Rubicante. He's a jerk that likes to spam Blaze over and over and OVER!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

Should I throw a boost on Y'shtola then since she won't have the time to be swinging, or should I grind a memento up and switch renewing to curaja?

Renewing Cure lasts a long time and starts with 4 casts, so R1 should be plenty. Yeah, I'd give her Curaga or Curaja and renewing cure. With Magic Breakdown and regen, she might actually have time to throw an extra attack at Cloud every now and then. Alternately:
1. if you have a second Double Cut, give it to Celes, give haste to Cecil, and Shellga to Y'shtola.
2. Switch Cecil for Selphie, who can cast Shellga/haste and use Tempo Flurry, and give double cut to Celes. Selphie could also hold the healing rod, so Y'shtola can keep her SB charges for stoneskin.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 13, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Samba De Amigo posted:

R1 Memento of Prayer + a healing spell is a pretty good combo for Y'shtola. She won't be doing any damage, but she should be able to keep your party healed up as long as your hones last.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Renewing Cure lasts a long time and starts with 4 casts, so R1 should be plenty. Yeah, I'd give her Curaga or Curaja and renewing cure. With Magic Breakdown and regen, she might actually have time to throw an extra attack at Cloud every now and then. Alternately:
1. if you have a second Double Cut, give it to Celes, give haste to Cecil, and Shellga to Y'shtola.
2. Switch Cecil for Selphie, who can cast Shellga/haste and use Tempo Flurry, and give double cut to Celes. Selphie could also hold the healing rod, so Y'shtola can keep her SB charges for stoneskin.

Actually good point, I'm sitting on some extra lesser powers so I can make another double to R3. Selphie is another low level for me unfortunately so that's no go.

New loadout:

I appreciate the input, assuming that 8 charges of renewing cure plus the AoE heal SB is enough with Celes SB, SS, Shellga, and Magic BD I think I might be okay after some heavy S/Ling. Now I just gotta level up Celes a butt-load.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, that boss rush was way more manageable than I expected. Mastered it on my first go with poo poo FF4 synergy and Edge using Steal HP and Steal Time for some reason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rubicante is ridiculous. I won't begrudge anyone that doesn't have a way to get both a wall and a hastega up if they resort to retaliate.

(still mastered it with a normal party because I have ss2)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I somehow mastered Rubicante without bringing either my own hastega OR retaliate. A wall RW + Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth is just enough to get the job done in a 3-black mage setup, as long as you have the hones.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fang tomorrow! I'm ready to not pull the Peacemaker. (but if I even get one FF13 melee thing I'll be happy, game. take pity on me your lowly servant)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Schwartzcough posted:

Geryon is supposed to have a 10% chance to use Gas after the first round, but I swear that's almost all he did the entire freakin' battle. One Maelstrom and one Inferno, and otherwise just Gas Gas Gas Gas. Dickbreath.

Anyway, now it's on to Ultimate Rubicante. I am afeared...

Edit: Aaaand he's dead and mastered. He came close to killing people several times, not least of all because I made the bone-headed move of putting Magic Breakdown on Y'shtola, who was far too busy healing to ever use it after the opening round.

Can you share your setup, I got wrecked with both a mage/mitigation setup and an attempt at advantaliating.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kalensc posted:

Can you share your setup, I got wrecked with both a mage/mitigation setup and an attempt at advantaliating.

For Rubicante?

I ran a hybrid:

Tyro, carrying Magic Breakdown and Full Break, with SG and Mako Might
Lenna, carrying Diaga and Curaga, with her AoE heal/regen SB and Dr. Mog - any white Mage with a Medica works here
Bartz, carrying Blizzaga Strike and Steal Defense
Edge, carrying Dismissal and Steal Power (this wasn't a great idea, TBQH but I brute forced it - I did get a lucky dismissal proc or two on my kill)
Krile, carrying Waterja and Blizzaga
Boon RW

Strongest weapons were a Dancing Dagger++ and a Lamia Rod++; I have terrible weapon synergy in FF4 (I do have above average armor - everybody was wearing a piece with over 150 Res on it, which helped)

The main thing is having both a wall and shellga, and access to an AoE heal and strong regen to keep HP stable. Beyond that, it's a bit of luck, counting turns to land a steal as soon as the cloak goes up, and pounding weaknesses. The offensive strategy you use matters much less.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

kalensc posted:

Sure, but at this point I'm playing to the relics I've drawn (namely Lulu's Hairpin for AoE +20% Mag and +50% Res, and Y'shotla's SSII) so my strategy might not be universally helpful. On the other hand, I screwed up and never got to use Magic Breakdown, so this improved setup might work:

Vaan has Dragoon's Determination
Rydia has Witch of Succession
Tellah has Vow of Vengeance
Lulu has Dr. Mog
Y'shtola has Mako Might

Originally I brought Butz with Steal Power and Blizzara Strike, using a 3*++ Icebrand Sword and Attunement II, I think, so that might've help me kill him a bit faster, but I came close to having people die a lot. Y'shtola has Magic Breakdown but never used it. Diaga is just a 'whatever' spell here. The AoE regen white magic could work, allowing you to slot something else instead of Kirin.

Still, like I said I was getting by with SSII, Boon, and Focus alone for mitigation. If you don't have Lulu's Focus, you could probably just use Celes' default SB instead. Combined with Magic Breakdown, you might be able to get by without a Wall relic. Also, I brought more magic than I needed. So theoretically you could bring Tyro or Faris with Steal and Full Break, and Terra with a spell and Magic Breakdown to further reduce magic damage.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 13, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Samba De Amigo posted:

I think Zidane, let me check.

Damnit Zidane why are you Support 3

Vaan can use Breakdowns.

Sadly Zidane is pretty much outclassed by Vaan until we get Machinist. In fact Vaan trumps a lot of characters simply by virtue of his equipment and ability access.

And I guess if we're posting Rubicante teams:

Vivi L60, R2 Waterja/R3 Waterga, Attunement II
Tellah L51, R2 Shellga/R4 Blizzaga, Devotion
Red XIII L54, R3 Magic Breakdown/R2 Full Break, Dr Mog
Balthier L50, R2 Steal Power/R4 Blizzara Strike, Freedom's Wish
Mog L51, R5 Curaga/R3 Diaga, Ace Striker

Sentinel's Grimoire RW

Red had Lunatic High and Mog had Heroic Harmony.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 13, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress, another 11 pull that got me almost nothing. Dark Glove (IV) and some combining fodder. I guess Cyan can make due with the Cat Claw (II) for a while longer.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vaan can use Breakdowns.

Sadly Zidane is pretty much outclassed by Vaan until we get Machinist. In fact Vaan trumps a lot of characters simply by virtue of his equipment and ability access.

Yea he's on my "I really need to level him" list. There's a few others on there, but I have the Zwill Crossblade and having a source of Sap like that is really good, not to mention him being so much better than other supports in most ways. I use Wakka mostly right now just because I have his Official Ball and he has an MC2.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone have experience with the prima strategy guide for FF13?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So Shantotto has Black Magic 5.... and Monk 4? Her magic stat is very high, but her hp and attack are very low, so it is a weird combo. Also being a story character means she has no MC currently.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mastered Geryon. It really just came down to restarting until I got lucky enough to land Slow and Sap twice each without anything horrible happening in the meantime. Sap drains his health down at a ridiculous rate, which is great because otherwise he's a huge tank that's like impossible to whittle down reasonably.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KnoxZone posted:

So Shantotto has Black Magic 5.... and Monk 4? Her magic stat is very high, but her hp and attack are very low, so it is a weird combo. Also being a story character means she has no MC currently.

I'm assuming Monk 4 is in reference to her EX Burst in Dissidia.

And she's notable in that she's the first mage to usurp Vivi in terms of MAG. All she needs are MCs now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Does anyone know how many MC2 blank crystals we have access to once that system goes live here? I passed on Wakka's and it looks like I'm going to pass on Decil's, too - I've just fallen into a pattern where if I don't have good weapon synergy that I don't even attempt the boss rush anymore.

• Locked thread