Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Lesson 1, the "Under Construction" .gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

Dare I ask, what's her subject she teaches?

Literature :downs:

:siren:A MORAL DILEMMA CAME IN:siren:

So a teacher was injured and will be stuck at home for a few weeks. She wanted a laptop to use at home in the meantime. I was out of town that day for a board meeting, so I delegated the task to my protege. He grabbed a laptop I had been setting up to use for a webinar and took it to her house after work and set it up for her. I felt kind of guilty that he had to go after hours, but also it's his job and I was out of town, so whatevs. I thanked him for taking care of it this morning and impressed how much I appreciated him doing it.

The teacher just bcc'd me on an email to the director where she showered me with praise for going above and beyond and personally delivering and setting up a computer for her to use while she is out and how much of an asset I am to the school and so on.

She never mentioned my employee.

On the one hand, it makes me look really great and I kind of need that right now, but on the other hand I should probably not be a huge piece of poo poo and should probably tell the director that he handled it all while we were out of town.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
200% you need to reply and tell her it was all the other guy's doing. I've been the underling in that case and when the people above me were like "We didn't do anything you should thank Inspector" it really meant a lot to me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Definitely credit your employee. This is the one that was mad you 'took' his promotion, right? No sense antagonizing him right after you make an attempt at peace.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
gently caress, come to think of it, she's probably never actually seen either of us, so she probably thought he was me. If so, it's an honest mistake on her part.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

gently caress, come to think of it, she's probably never actually seen either of us, so she probably thought he was me. If so, it's an honest mistake on her part.

Or, if your underling is anything like the Sr. tech where I am, he's giving you the credit so it becomes your problem if poo poo goes south.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's not like you look bad because your employee handled it well. How they do is going to be a big part of how you're evaluated going forward. The fastest way to make them very motivated to not do well is to take credit (whether via inaction or no) for something they did. It seriously costs you nothing to give credit where its due.

C'mon, this shouldn't be a moral dilemma. :colbert:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
No harm in telling her it was your employee, maybe just email back with "hey, <employee> actually fixed this because I was out" or something and CC him on it so he gets credit. I try to do that with anyone I work with, I'm a main point of contact for a lot of my clients but have other engineers that help out, so I like seeing credit given where it's due :) plus it could make you both look good - you were out and properly delegated the task to your underling, he fixed the problem, working like a well oiled machine, etc. etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do you have any employee recognition programs? Maybe you could put him in for a thing where you get a pen and a sticker that says "TEAM" or something.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I was seriously considering taking credit for his work. Who do I look like, CE?

I wrote her back. I'll see how she reacts and forward it to underling and director.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
As a software developer I must say that my favorite thing in the world is when a team I am on releases a project after uncounted hours of work on our part and have the project manager showered with praise by everyone and given bonuses while we get squat except the joy of unpaid/uncomped overtime.

As such, always give credit where it is due.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Make sure you tell your underling about the praise from the teacher as well.

Also, write it down somewhere that he received the praise. It makes it easier when it comes time to do performance reviews if you have these types of things written down so you don't forget. It also make it easier to justify raises/bonuses if you can prove they're a good employee.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Filthy Lucre posted:

Also, write it down somewhere that he received the praise. It makes it easier

This is totally true.
As an aside, everyone should be keeping track of their accomplishments and making sure that their own boss has easy access to it for reference. You'll be doing them a favor.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Renegret posted:

loving lol if you think I'm reading the entirety of the Star Citizen Thread so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rumor mill for that game is that their customer service just upped and closed every single ticket in their queue for the New Year. Their logic is "Well we just released a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs so just open a new ticket if you're still having problems.

Their current ticket turnaround time is about 3 weeks.

I wish we could do that, we're sitting at just over 4000 open tickets. Oldest one goes back to January of 2013 :smith:

Man, that's the best way to do it. Too many tickets? Fuckin' close them all!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I should do this for the leap year and close 4 years worth of bullshit in Feb

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I was seriously considering taking credit for his work. Who do I look like, CE?

I wrote her back. I'll see how she reacts and forward it to underling and director.

You did CC the employee on the email that you sent praising the employee, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Renegret posted:

loving lol if you think I'm reading the entirety of the Star Citizen Thread so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rumor mill for that game is that their customer service just upped and closed every single ticket in their queue for the New Year. Their logic is "Well we just released a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs so just open a new ticket if you're still having problems.

I wish we could do that, we're sitting at just over 4000 open tickets. Oldest one goes back to January of 2013 :smith:
It's almost a part-time job keeping up with that thread, but they really did do that and Star Citizens are defending them for it. They definitely game that turnaround time since just before December they started denying refunds to everyone allowing them to close month+ refund tickets they had been outright ignoring, and I saw one Redditor complaining about having to reopen a four-month old ticket regarding an account issue.

Full disclosure: I silently closed a ticket from mid-December today just because I seriously couldn't be bothered explaining as to why there's no possible way any of us can fix a Skype video call from New Zealand to China through a mobile phone being of "poor quality".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spankmeister posted:

Ah, the Madagascar method.

That's a reference I haven't heard in a long time.

larchesdanrew posted:

It's true though. At least the tv station was entertainingly soul draining. This place is just so boring

May you live in interesting times.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Ghostlight posted:

Full disclosure: I silently closed a ticket from mid-December today just because I seriously couldn't be bothered explaining as to why there's no possible way any of us can fix a Skype video call from New Zealand to China through a mobile phone being of "poor quality".

Closure reason: Out of Scope
Closure comment: Trans-oceanic cable runs are handled by the outsource team in Asia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

It's true though. At least the tv station was entertainingly soul draining. This place is just so boring

Be thankful it's the good kind of boring where you have some degree of independence to do stuff on your own initiative. There are worse kinds of boring.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Volmarias posted:

That's a reference I haven't heard in a long time.

I've played plague inc recently.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spankmeister posted:

I've played plague inc recently.

They're at least a little better about that, in that your plague can spread over seas naturally.

Sadly, this means that my end game tends to be that everyone is dead, except for tiny iceland which is getting chipped away 1 by 1 because they've instituted the "kill on sight" and "human vivisection," so as soon as someone gets infected, they're immediately killed and there's no chance to spread. They can't cure the disease, but they sure as gently caress won't let it kill them too quickly.

:sigh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
90% of my tickets are: "Can't duplicate."

About 90% of my duplicates are secretly: "Don't want to duplicate."

:smug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

That is kind of how EA handled tickets for warhammer online, except with a twist.

Unsure if it was a bug with their ticketing system or someone not caring, but they would close all open tickets at the end of day. So if your ticket had not made it to a GM that day, tough poo poo, submit it again tomorrow, but maybe a little earlier and hope for the best.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I just got a tour of all the networking closets at my new job. Every cord is labeled with tags at both ends. Every patch panel is labelled. There's a folder of cabling maps for the floor in each of the closets. I almost cried.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ErIog posted:

I just got a tour of all the networking closets at my new job. Every cord is labeled with tags at both ends. Every patch panel is labelled. There's a folder of cabling maps for the floor in each of the closets. I almost cried.

You will actually cry when you learn none of the labels match.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

an iksar monk posted:

That is kind of how EA handled tickets for warhammer online, except with a twist.

Unsure if it was a bug with their ticketing system or someone not caring, but they would close all open tickets at the end of day. So if your ticket had not made it to a GM that day, tough poo poo, submit it again tomorrow, but maybe a little earlier and hope for the best.

TBH with all the stupid poo poo MMORPG players like to submit tickets for, I kind of find this genius. Do you actually care about your issue? Keep submitting and it'll get taken care of. Otherwise, you obviously don't care about whatever stupid bullshit you put a ticket in for.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Had an old boss call that declaring ticket bankruptcy. The idea was hopefully the majority of the problems were resolved just no one updated the ticket. For the few that were still actually a problem or the customer still cared about, they would send in a new ticket. Our ticketing system as it stands now could use one of these cleansings.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Wow. Location is one of our branches about 800 miles away. I had been getting calls on-and-off regarding a "black screen with mouse" for a while now. When I teamview in, it shows 2 monitors available. I go into Win options and select Display 1 and its all back to normal for a while. A few months later it's back to selecting the 2nd desktop on the ONE monitor. Thinking it's time for a re-install of 7 or something..

Shipped down a new workstation for new employee. Manager decides to keep the fancy new 24" LCD for himself and stick the new salesman with his old 19" 4:3 monitor. I get a call that the screen is black again with mouse cursor. I TeamView in and select monitor 1 again and all is peachy.

Some comment from manager about hooking up both cables to new monitor as the NEW workstation only has the one "blue" video connector and not the other "white" one..

*lightbulb*

Both VGA and DVI on same monitor from PC, WILL cause support hilarity to ensue.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I just wanted to take a moment to say I've started a new job and I'm no longer level 1 support for the masses. It's still remote support for refreshes/upgrades and I'm still going to be first in line to pick up the phone. But this is all making sure things are installed correctly, configured and transferred over properly. If they're not (and it's not a simple fix) then I get to open a ticket for the help desk to deal with. :feelsgood:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ugato posted:

I just wanted to take a moment to say I've started a new job and I'm no longer level 1 support for the masses. It's still remote support for refreshes/upgrades and I'm still going to be first in line to pick up the phone. But this is all making sure things are installed correctly, configured and transferred over properly. If they're not (and it's not a simple fix) then I get to open a ticket for the help desk to deal with. :feelsgood:

If you have lurked in the thread long enough you'll realize that no matter how high up the chain you go you still get tickets. Even really stupid tickets that should have been completed by the people under you. Or you still see a ticket in the system because you are overseeing it. You will still have a reason to post here.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
An unused budget portion came in...

What's a good inventory application that records make, model, hardware specs, and list of installed software that has decent reporting functionality? We don't need to scan for who's installed League of Legends, just to be able to display if sales users have Salesomater, scheduling users have Schedulemotron, etc. It should be able to look only at one OU of a domain, as we're a branch office and have read-only to other OUs but ours is ours.

I've got up to $5-600ish to spend, and Spiceworks is off the table - manager isn't a fan and didn't like the results it came back. It'd be nice if it was cross-platform for Macs, but we have ARD in place and it does a fine enough job of Mac inventory.

It's more to understand what we have deployed out there to know how to plan for future rollouts.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DigitalMocking posted:

Its literally the best thread on this comedy website. You should read it.

I usually just jump to the newest page, then go back 5-10 pages and read from there.

That thread moves too drat fast to keep up, is what I'm saying. That's why I don't know if they confirmed the whole ticket thing, I just skimmed the posts about it. During prime time that thread moves faster than I can read it.

e:

Ghostlight posted:

I've done that a few times.

When I got hired in 2013, we had a ticket open from 2007 that was stuck in limbo. It was for a known, easily reproducible bug that engineering was refusing to fix because that specific use case was so out there that they weren't actually expecting anybody to run into it. And even if they did, there was a workaround. Since we have a policy where a ticket does not get closed without a resolution, it just kind of sat there.

Eventually I got sick of looking at it so I just closed it with some gibberish. Management knew what I did and that it was against policy but they kept their mouths shut because they wanted it gone too.

The work log was great. Every six months there was an update request sent out, and engineering basically responded "this poo poo again? We're still not fixing it, go away."

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 12, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MJP posted:

An unused budget portion came in...

What's a good inventory application that records make, model, hardware specs, and list of installed software that has decent reporting functionality? We don't need to scan for who's installed League of Legends, just to be able to display if sales users have Salesomater, scheduling users have Schedulemotron, etc. It should be able to look only at one OU of a domain, as we're a branch office and have read-only to other OUs but ours is ours.

I've got up to $5-600ish to spend, and Spiceworks is off the table - manager isn't a fan and didn't like the results it came back. It'd be nice if it was cross-platform for Macs, but we have ARD in place and it does a fine enough job of Mac inventory.

It's more to understand what we have deployed out there to know how to plan for future rollouts.

Lansweeper.exe

Buy yourself an Asus ROG monitor with the leftovers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I would die without PDQ Inventory.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Swink posted:

when the gently caress did this become a thing?

PDQ deploy is excellent. I assume this is just as good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

when the gently caress did this become a thing?

PDQ deploy is excellent. I assume this is just as good?

Yes, it's excellent. I use it constantly. Pro version is nice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Swink posted:

I tested it in December and just bought it this year. I can't go back to the old ways of 'We Bought Network Asset Tracker in 2004' and 'Windows Remote Assist to Install Programs'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

GreenNight posted:

Yes, it's excellent. I use it constantly. Pro version is nice.

Seconding this.

• Locked thread