Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm not sure JJ Abrams knows what a movie villain looks like. At least the prequels had Christopher Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm not sure JJ Abrams knows what a movie villain looks like. At least the prequels had Christopher Lee.

Are you saying that a CGI Christopher Lee head on a stunt double is a better villain than, "THE LIES OF THE REPUBLIC!"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you manage to get through the terrible dialogue supercut without facepalming you are probably dead inside

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

moments of schadenfreude #312

A Chinese dude and his girlfriend were riding around the moat, as you do. Girl has her phone on a selfie stick, probably cheaply made in China, and it lets her phone go and it smashes into the road. Girl yells at dude who rapidly pulls over in front of me and I have to swerve to avoid having an accident. Moral of the story is don't loving use selfie sticks in moving traffic.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Looking for a cheap getaway over CNY.

I'm not going to go to China, it's all going to be a ghost town. And the cheapest flights I can find are to Beijing, anyway, and I'm okay not having Black Lung tyvm

The next cheapest place is KL.

Is it an okay place for 4-5 days? The main thing we do on holiday is try to eat lots of new stuff, and just generally look around and get a feel for the place.

DAY 0 (Fri 5th): Hopefully arrive at night and get checked in to a hotel
DAY 1 (Sat 6th): Walk around the city (Merdeka Square - probably do the free Heritage Walk*, maybe National Palace, gotta see those towers at KLCC and probably the musical fountain at night, any interesting districts you can suggest?)
DAY 2 (Sunday 7th): Perdana Botanical Garden incl. Lake Perdana / bird park
DAY 3 (Mon 8th): Batu Caves / Tun Abdul Razak Heritage Park
DAY 4 (Tue 9th): Royal Malaysian Police Museum** (yes really) / KL Forest Eco Park
DAY 5: (Wed 10th) Get to the airport and whatever else (depends on flight time)

Each Night: food

*9.00am - 11.30am ( Monday, Wednesday and Saturday)
**Opening Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 – 18:00; Friday 10:00 – 12:30, 14:30 – 18:00
Everything else open daily

How does that seem? I know there are a lot of parks/green spaces but it's what I tend to miss living in a big city that lacks them

Also, what with it being CNY, I expect Chinese-owned businesses to be shut, but is that likely to seriously impact on my trip? And are there any national holidays (or other things) that would make anything on that list really really crowded, and best shifted to another day?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
KL really isn't worth more than a couple of days. I would spend the other half of your trip in Malacca, which has buses that go right to the airport.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
KL is an okay choice. People in this thread like to poo poo it on KL but I think it's a lot tamer and safer than Thailand because there's a lot less alcohol in the country. Last Easter I met up with some Korean goons and a Singaporean goon in KL. We then drove north to the Cameron Highlands, and then turn around back south to Ipoh, Malacca and then onto the Singaporean border. It was a 6 day trip and the drive was pretty fun.

KL is really really small and your day 2 and 3 activities can actually be combined into 1 day. Heck if you wake up early enough morning you can even tack onto Baatu caves - it's a majestic sight but takes you 20 min to walk around. You really can do KL in 2 full days and 3 days tops.

I know you like car stuff so go rent a car and drive to malaaca or Cameron highlands. The highlands are really beautiful with the numerous teafields, windy mountain roads and old colonial history, it's also way less touristy than Malaaca

kenner116
May 15, 2009
If you're renting a car I would also pick Cameron Highlands over Malacca. It's a bit further away but the drive is much more interesting.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I probably won't be renting a car this time but thanks for the recommendations so far

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cmiXG8zLkc

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I always get Cameron Highlands mixed up with Genting Highlands and can't figure out why goons are so obsessed with it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

KL is an okay choice. People in this thread like to poo poo it on KL but I think it's a lot tamer and safer than Thailand because there's a lot less alcohol in the country. Last Easter I met up with some Korean goons and a Singaporean goon in KL. We then drove north to the Cameron Highlands, and then turn around back south to Ipoh, Malacca and then onto the Singaporean border. It was a 6 day trip and the drive was pretty fun.

KL is really really small and your day 2 and 3 activities can actually be combined into 1 day. Heck if you wake up early enough morning you can even tack onto Baatu caves - it's a majestic sight but takes you 20 min to walk around. You really can do KL in 2 full days and 3 days tops.

I know you like car stuff so go rent a car and drive to malaaca or Cameron highlands. The highlands are really beautiful with the numerous teafields, windy mountain roads and old colonial history, it's also way less touristy than Malaaca
Note that, like people who recommend Chiang Mai, your entire recommendation was for stuff outside KL. I'm actually not one of the KL shitters. I enjoy it for a couple of days, it's a nice break from Bangkok. Still, yeah, it's pretty loving sleepy and unless you like food (which can be better elsewhere) it gets a bit old. Also if you like Cuban stuff, for whatever reason they seem to have an outsized Cuban population that I can't figure out. Mostly in touristy stuff, but it's kinda bizarre.

The problem with KL is that it's about 150 years old and has been the capital of what's now Malaysia for like 100 years or something? Like a lot of modern American cities it doesn't have much history. Doesn't mean it's not a good city, just kinda sleepy compared to regional capitals.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 9, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

KL was so loving boring that by the afternoon of day two I was taking my ex to the mall to see the Captain America movie. The next night we finished off the litre of Chivas I had bought at the airport duty free.

Maybe the problem is me but I never had issues finding something to do in other SEA cities.

I mean even in the ones that are literally authoritarian dictatorships the local people find a way to be less vehemently anti-fun than in KL.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 9, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

White people numbering approximately the population of France have blogged about the food scene in Chiang Mai, and as much as I would like to fire them all into the sun, they have a point.

You could drawn a 25 km radius around Wat Chedi Luang, eat at a different place for breakfast lunch and dinner everyday and not be disappointed.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Motorcycle breakdown in Mae Cham. Awaiting parts \ mechanic from Tony's in Chiang Mai. Any suggestions on how to spend the day? I'm open to "Sangsom Sunday."

Update: they're trucking a new bike out to me now. I kinda wanted Sangsom Sunday...

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 10, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A breakdown somewhere remote would be a pain, the closest I've come is almost running out of fuel.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The nice thing about having a transportation failure in rural Thailand is that you can just move there.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

when I stacked my bike on the highway up north of CM they bundled me into a songtaew and roped the bike in after me. I assume they deal with foreign idiots coming unstuck on a regular basis.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah. I mean I only ride a mountain bike, but I have friends who ride Hondas all over, friend who ride imported Harleys all over and so on and they all have stories - even the Harley guys - about breaking down in gently caress all nowhere and somehow Somchai finds a timing chain or something, it shows up by truck the next morning and they're all good - and everyone's super-friendly about the deal.

Only best thing is to ride local. Not a lot of 26" mountain bike tires floating around the province, or disc brake kits. Not to mention exotic motorbike parts.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Guy posts of his 2 day mushroom Bender on Facebook, drowns in a swimming pool on Koh Tao some time later. CCTV shows him looked very drunk. Family are convinced it wasn't an accident.

:sigh:

No poo poo it wasn't an accident, it was an inevitability.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/night-bus-overturns-in-crash-leaving-5-injured-driver-flees-104932/

What's Somchai in Khmer? Sophal or Sambath?

e:

quote:

“It’s like a murder bus, it’s incredible,” she said.

Murder Bus

e2: and someone jacked things from their bag after the crash. This article is amazing.

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 11, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I assume you guys all follow https://www.farang-deaths.com

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

quote:

The house is located at the Dusit Pattaya Village Project 1 in the Huay Yai (ห้วยใหญ่) area and is owned by a British National known only as Dave. A suicide note was left addressed to him which was accompanied by 2400 US Dollars which the victim wanted him to have. The letter stated that he wanted to be cremated and did not want anyone else to know about his death.

Hi yes please give all my money to "Dave" and tell no-one, also burn the body/evidence kthxbai

quote:

Police suspect the victim had been dead for at least 48 hours and noticed a set of 5 syringes and 5 bottles of an unknown substance of which 2 of them had been used. Police suspect this was administered by the victim which caused his death.

Yes I have a new pack of syringes too, one for each bottle, you know that common way of killing yourself

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

What say now. Don't know.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Meet for a beer.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the US.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I missed it. Where's this creepjob located?

Also re dead bike chat - second mechanic showed up two hours late, installed the part, and gave me his bike, which is overall in better shape. So +1 Tony's in CM for making it right.

Rural folk can't get enough of tall white Charlie on the motorcycle. They all wanna stop and chat. Quick someone teach me something cool to say in Thai so that I keep looking cool. Cool.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 11, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
He's in Bangkok

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

This is probably too late but KL will be quiet during CNY as well. It's a two day national holiday in malaysia and a lot of chinese run business will be closed for at least both of those days. Most people travel home to family so transportation will be nightmarish around that time.

So aside from all the other negative things people said about coming here, doing so during CNY will have extra lovely things attached.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Holy poo poo Hong Kong is so expensive :(

I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, but dayummm. Seriously considering just sleeping outside on a piece of cardboard instead of paying for accommodation.

Or maybe I should just ditch this place and fly back to Bangkok to go live with that communal living guy you emailed

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Another one looking to get the hell out of China for the new year here. I'll be going either next week or after Chinese New Year, I'm thinking most of the Chinese tourists will travel during the actual holiday so I'll get to avoid them?

I'll be going to Thailand with my girlfriend who is Chinese. We've both been working on top of setting up a business for the last 6 months and haven't really had a day off so we just want to relax. I lived in Chiang Mai for a while a few years back so not really interested in going North again. We'll be flying into Bangkok and only have 7 or 8 days and don't want to spend 15 hours on the bus or anything so where would be our best bet to go? Ideally want to avoid Chinese tour groups and fat old scousers who initiate conversation by shouting "I paid a girl to lick my arsehole last night" at me, mainly just want to lie around and eat a lot somewhere quiet.

Also will my girlfriend have any problems? Lots of people seemed to not like the Chinese very much from what I can remember, but she isn't a complete nong so I guess she should be ok?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kanchanaburi was nice for me (but I can't guarantee it won't be filled with Chinese tour groups these days, I don't know about that). You could also go to Koh Chang.

Thai people won't give a poo poo about your Chinese gf if she can smile and not be a dickhead when bargaining.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 11, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cambodians heading home after a days work image album:

http://www.unsuburban.com/beyond/the-road-home

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

You can get a flight to anywhere in Thailand for cheap from Bangkok, there's no need for a long bus journey. Krabi would be at the top of my list.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Does anyone have any experience teaching English in Vietnam? It is one of the countries I am very heavily considering, and while I've learned a lot about teaching overseas from the other threads, I had a few Vietnam-specific questions that I'd like to bounce off of somebody that has been through the process in the last few years.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Also will my girlfriend have any problems? Lots of people seemed to not like the Chinese very much from what I can remember, but she isn't a complete nong so I guess she should be ok?

Do what Americans traveling abroad used to do during the Bush years and have her wear a sticker that says, "I'm from Taiwan."

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

You might be an expat if: the somtam lady recognises you and starts making your shameful order of somtam thai เผ็ด nid noy before you even say anthing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Negligent posted:

You might be an expat if: the somtam lady recognises you and starts making your shameful order of somtam thai เผ็ด nid noy before you even say anthing.

Or if as you walk by Nana girls start taking out bags of live fish

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

How is the weather in Vietnam for the first two weeks of April typically? Alright time to go? Probably starting in the North and finishing down South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I'm flying into BKK on the 27th and I'll be in the region until April 26th. Thanks a bunch to all the regulars here. So much good information just in this thread compared to all the lovely blogs and and forums elsewhere. In my mind I plan to mostly be in Thailand but I want to see Cambodia and hopefully Laos, too!

I don't have an itinerary but I do at least have a list of places that sound cool to me. I'm going over by myself with a budget of about 60 usd/day. Here are some places I'd like to go check out. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice from you guys. I really want to experience and savor some cool places, not check off a list of must see attractions.

BKK of course, but (following advice from this thread) I think I might bounce out after a day or two and return for a more extended visit later in my trip.
Sukhothai
Mae Hong Son
Koh Chang (the big one in the gulf)
Krabi, Trang, and some of those cool looking islands around there

I do have a "throw away" ticket to PP a little less than a month into my trip because I hosed up with the Thailand tourist visa stuff (i.e. I'm out of time to get it before I leave). I actually want to hang out in Cambodia anyway. Here are the places in Cambodia I'm interested in seeing. Any other ideas or advice?

PP
Siem Reap
Kampot
Kep

I realize my list of places is sparse in both countries, but hopefully you guys can help me fill in the blanks. Thanks!