Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wasn't there another fan edit that condensed the three in to one and like had Jar Jar speak in alien language instead of weird offensive English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Question: I listen to a lot of Super Best Friends and they have mentioned that George Lucas told Portman and Hayden to basically "not act so good." Is there any article or video this is referenced in?

There's this thing. Bolding is mine.

George Lucas posted:

How did James Earl Jones get involved?
I said right from the beginning that I was looking for a voice for Darth Vader. I went through a lot of different tapes of people, including Orson Welles. But then I landed on James Earl Jones, because he's a superb actor. And I was so worried at that point, because it's minimalist acting in a mask: He doesn't get a huge range of stuff to deal with. I was looking for him to pull a realistic performance out of this constrained reality I had created and really grab the audience. It's one of these horrible acting exercises – sometimes directors put themselves in a corner, and it's thankless for the actor.

The same thing happened with Padmé in Episode I, when she had this very stilted dialogue as the Queen. And also with Hayden in Episode II. He said, "I don't want to be this whiny kid." I said, "Well, you are. You gotta be a whiny teenager."

Like father, like son.
He said, "I want to be Darth Vader." I said, "You gotta be a petulant young Jedi. You're not going to be the guy you thought you'd be when you signed your contract." Hayden was grateful for this last movie, where he actually got to be Darth Vader.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

piratepilates posted:

Wasn't there another fan edit that condensed the three in to one and like had Jar Jar speak in alien language instead of weird offensive English?

I think that's the "anti-cheese edit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQBdRcgizc

(I haven't watched it.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's not really in the phantom Menace review a lot.

There's a bit where the narrator is looking in his basement for an action figure he wants to show the camera in first person, and finds a pile of bones, and also a woman asking to please let her leave, whom he dismissively ignores before continuing the review, and a lot of callbacks to his ex wives that he probably killed in his narration, with none of that being on screen really, and him being talked to by Totino's pizza rolls. Just stuff that surprises an uninitiated viewer and makes them go "wtf!?" and makes the video stick in your mind.

The second one is way higher on the creepy scale with him having the woman bound in her house and forcing her to watch attack of the clones and hitting on her and saying she's never going to see her baby again and doing a scary voice, it's really weird.

The third one features the same woman in more of a kill bill revenge flick where she fights mister plinkett and emperor Palpatine in slapstick B movie style. It's more dumb and juvenile than anything else.

Really only the second one is super creepy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The third one features the same woman in more of a kill bill revenge flick where she fights mister plinkett and emperor Palpatine in slapstick B movie style. It's more dumb and juvenile than anything else.

I thought they did this bit in a separate video that's not really worth watching to demonstrate some of the points they had brought up about the prequels or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought they did this bit in a separate video that's not really worth watching to demonstrate some of the points they had brought up about the prequels or something.

Yeah probably, I don't remember. Maybe it was in the Plinkett Wars cgi series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

greatn posted:

That's just the epilogue. The review itself has a few moments building up to that but not much.

The non-Star Wars stuff is definitely worth watching too, and everything else RLM does is great (they haven't done a full Plinkett review in about 3 years).

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

porfiria posted:

That's not the writer's opinion though. Read the article again.

Okay, it was an opinion posed rhetorically by the writer for the sake of honest consideration.

CountFosco posted:

This is such bullshit, and doesn't explain why or how people who loved the original trilogy hated the prequels. I certainly wasn't a cynic when I watched the Phantom Menace, and it horrified me. Stylistically, the two trilogies are very, very different.

The difference is that original trilogy are Classic Movies. The prequels are New Movies. There's no way to divorce the films completely from their respective cultural contexts. Everyone loves From Russia with Love. General audiences watch it all the time and enjoy it to this day. But if a James Bond movie came out today, and it was written, acted, paced, and shot in the same style as From Russia with Love, then I guarantee you there'd be a decent portion of people sitting there in the theater going, "What the gently caress? This is weird and kind of lovely." Because it's not 1963 anymore. Show people a movie from 1963 in 2015 and everyone will accept it. Show them a movie from 2015 that looks like a movie from 1963, and a good portion of them will freak out.

And what you forget is a lot of people who liked the originals did like the prequels. A lot of people. They were all box office smashes. The PT Blu-rays sell very well to this day. The narrative that they're complete abominations which no one ever liked is a cultural creation propagated across media like the Internet. That's where the cultural shift comes in. You didn't have people like RLM around when the originals came out. You didn't have entire YouTube channels devoted to nitpicking and tearing down movies in excruciating detail. If you did, the originals' reputation probably wouldn't be the same as it is today. Even as it stands, you have people who completely dismiss ROTJ as a movie because of the cutesy Ewoks. Really now. Imagine if Internet culture had been around for the Ewoks. What do you think would happen?

I'm sure you personally loved the originals and absolutely hated the prequels, and so did all your friends. But you and the people you know aren't a representative sample. The long-term cultural consensus isn't determined by what most people liked at the time. It's determined by what the most loud and strident people who never stop talking about it think. Everyone else has already moved on, because they don't care that much about Star Wars either way. They didn't care that much about the OT, and they didn't care that much about the PT. The fans really care, though. And the fans hate the PT.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 12, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I maintain he got more enjoyment out of the RLM stuff than he would have out of episode 1, 2 or 3. He certainly laughed more and had more emotional connection. We did the pro thing and skipped the creepy bits. And I think the phantom edit is good.

How do you even get half the jokes in RLM if you haven't seen the actual movies? Like I sort've get you thinking you "saved" him from watching the prequels and I don't care about that. I don't see how it's enjoyable at all to watch RLM with no context though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I watched the episode 3 review before seeing the movie and I found it quite funny still. The reviews show the scenes they're talking about alongside the review so it's not like you're lost, and the movies themselves have simple enough plots that you wouldn't be that lost.

I mean all the Best of the Worst videos they do you tend to go in blind and it doesn't matter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

turtlecrunch posted:

Are the RLM reviews something that should be watched? Don't get me wrong I'm down with popular youtube videos but I give a little pause at this

If you've watched the prequels, and don't enjoy them, but can't quite put your finger on why - it'll help you go, "Oh, yeahhhhh...." as it goes through the films.

Watching all three reviews of the prequels will take a while, but they're fun. If you watch them broken up into 10-minute parts as they are on YouTube, that's a good way to get in. The killer humor is something to break up the monotony of watching hours of Star Wars videos, and works well in the doses you're given. Nothing goes too WTF, but then, I've gotten desensitized to the internet, and haven't really gone "Jesus" at an internet thing until I watched the Robocop remake rapists shooting clip last night (Scene 27). :psyduck:

By watching them on YT in 10-minute parts, the killer jokes start as the individual part winds down (when there's 20-40 seconds left, for example, he'll start making pizza rolls and going crazy), so if you're not into the humor so much, you can skip to the next video.

But, hey, again: the RLM reviews are a fun way to pick apart the prequels, and gives you one side. You should also take them with a grain of salt, because we don't know that Lucas's staff are afraid to second-guess him, we don't know that Lucas only did one draft of the prequels, and we don't have all the details on some of the assumptions the reviews make.

But they're very entertaining. And the conclusion of Ep. III's review lets us know that the reviewer wants to like the films. :unsmith:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The thing I admire about RLM (we're in the right thread right?) which every other internet reviewer does wrong is that they don't push that what they say matters. Plinkett reviews are done by a reviewer character who is clearly a deranged lunatic you should but be listening to, Half in the Bag discussions are just two guys talking about their experiences watching something, and Best of the Worst is just dumb people making jokes about movies together.

That 5 hour compilation of TFA reviews on the other hand, that's why all of those are so unbearable.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

greatn posted:

There's a bit where the narrator is looking in his basement for an action figure he wants to show the camera in first person, and finds a pile of bones, and also a woman asking to please let her leave, whom he dismissively ignores before continuing the review, and a lot of callbacks to his ex wives that he probably killed in his narration, with none of that being on screen really, and him being talked to by Totino's pizza rolls. Just stuff that surprises an uninitiated viewer and makes them go "wtf!?" and makes the video stick in your mind.

The second one is way higher on the creepy scale with him having the woman bound in her house and forcing her to watch attack of the clones and hitting on her and saying she's never going to see her baby again and doing a scary voice, it's really weird.

Well, any desire I ever had to watch these reviews is gone. :geno:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Picklepuss posted:

Well, any desire I ever had to watch these reviews is gone. :geno:

Why? They're good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His second wife killed herself in the bathtub because she felt guilty for stealing his money. Plinkett didn't do it. And his first wife was in a car accident. Come on, he's innocent.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Steve2911 posted:

Why? They're good.

I, too, am baffled that anybody might not want a bunch of hilarious allusions to spousal murder and skits about a kidnapped woman trapped in a basement in their funney internet Star Wars review.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Empress Theonora posted:

I, too, am baffled that anybody might not want a bunch of hilarious allusions to spousal murder and skits about a kidnapped woman trapped in a basement in their funney internet Star Wars review.

Why would they watch an allusion to spousal murder when they can turn on the prequels and watch spousal murder?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 12, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

It's being talked up as more creepy than it really is. I'm pretty squeamish about that kind of thing and it didn't really bother me.

It's like when count dooku had his hands and head chopped off -- it sounds horrific but when you see it in the movie it's just comical.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

I think that's the "anti-cheese edit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQBdRcgizc

(I haven't watched it.)

I just watched those recently, it does create a more tolerable product and I vastly prefer subtitled alien dialogue. However, if connecting with the characters is your thing, it ain't gonna help. Fortunately, the 2008 Clone Wars CGI and 2003 animated show more or less give the prequel story its due. Although, I'd recommend skipping season 1 of the 2008 show, with the exception of "Rookies" and the finale.

Also, the serial killer stuff in Plinkett reviews is really easy to skip. I'm a horrible person so I found it entertaining, and I'm glad they're parodying the hyper-nitpick review style.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not all that creepy but it's also not funny or entertaining. It's not well made or well acted and is out of place and undermines the idea that they have any idea about how to make a good movie.

(preempting the inevitable "enough about the prequels, what did you think about the RLM reviews lol" joke)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

RBA Starblade posted:

Why would they watch an allusion to spousal murder when they can turn on the prequels and watch spousal murder?

Oh, don't get me wrong, the prequels have an awful attitude towards women, too. :v:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

piratepilates posted:

It's being talked up as more creepy than it really is. I'm pretty squeamish about that kind of thing and it didn't really bother me.

It's like when count dooku had his hands and head chopped off -- it sounds horrific but when you see it in the movie it's just comical.

For a review of childrens' movies that show dismemberment, decapitation, child murder, a triple amputation and burning alive while writhing in pain, the RLM reviews sure get talked about like they cross the line.

Watched the first half of TPM and what's the deal with anakin being a nine year old who "worked on his pod for years."? Did no one proof read the script?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm pretty sure there are at least two years between age zero and age nine?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I googled "baby nascar" to see if I could find a funny photoshop but there weren't any.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

piratepilates posted:

It's just people being over-dramatic about something they already don't like.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LinkesAuge posted:

The question is what Ren/Snoke think Vader "started". If it's "bringing balance to the force" this leaves a lot of room for different interpretations.

In general, the concept of the Force is really poorly understood. Like, I don't think anyone has noticed just how bizarre this scene is:

On a literal plot level this makes absolutely no sense. How the gently caress did the yeti monster attach Luke to the ceiling? And then Luke starts lifting things with his mind?

If you've never seen Star Wars before, or have only seen A New Hope, the idea of telekinesis comes completely out of nowhere. The only previous example is Vader choking that guy, which is not the same as lifting a rock or whatever. The choking is presented as a variation on the Jedi mind-trick: Obiwan uses showmanship to con the Stormtroopers, and Vader inspires such terror with a wave of his hand that people have trouble breathing. The logic of how the Force works in A New Hope that is totally different from that of Empire.

So anyways: Luke is upside down, and he somehow pulls the sword into his hand. How do we make sense of this?

The answer is by flipping the scene, so that the laser sword simply falls into Luke's hand. This entire sequence demands to understood as metaphorical. Luke is frozen in place by fear, and his disorientation has made things topsy-turvy. After all, Luke had just been bashed in the head and left in the cold for a few hours. Later, he'll go on a vision quest and start predicting the future. Reality is getting malleable.

Luke: It's like... something out of a dream, or, I don't know. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

And Luke ends up upside-down a lot in this movie:

Why else would Yoda tell him to keep doing handstands for hours, if not to change Luke's perspective so that the ground vanishes? From this point of view, the crates are pulled up by gravity, falling up toward the sky - and this is what gives them the appearance of floating. And isn't the scene underneath Cloud City a clear example of this topsy-turvy imagery, with Luke literally 'falling up', towards the clouds?

What you get at the end of Episode 5 is a reversal of the classic alien abduction image, of being 'beamed up' into the round porthole. Luke is escaping from the world.

Spikeguy posted:

So I watched the RLM reviews of the prequels. Then after I saw Ep. 7 with a friend he was talking about the prequels and saying he wanted to watch them. I didn't say anything, but got him to just watch the last half of episode 3's review and he basically said I had ruined the prequels for him. So I gave him the phantom edit version so he's happy again.

As if we needed more proof that the act of distributing prequel hate memes has supplanted the act of watching the films. Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Well Ren does ask Vader's helmet to show him the power of the darkness so he can finish "what you started". What Vader started and didn't finish is uh...? Converting/Killing Luke? The crawl says FO is looking for Luke but Ren is the only one really invested in it.

Snoke, Kylo and through association the Knights of Ren and the First Order want to wipe out the Jedi, entirely. This is essentially what Kylo is referencing when he's speaking to Vaders melted helmet.

I don't know what more evidence people need to feel satisfied with this answer. The Empire made the hunting of the Jedi one of their priorities. The First Order is following in their footsteps. Maybe TFA needed some random loving stormtroopers lamenting quietly to each other how much they hate Jedi while Rey is running around Starkiller Base.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
On Finn's name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQkTtUy9p14

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CountFosco posted:

Stylistically, the two trilogies are very, very different.

This is simply false. Stylistically, the OT and PT are much, much, much closer to each other than are the OT and TFA:

http://bergery.net/writings/LucasInterview.pdf

quote:

The style of the cinematography of the Star Wars movies seems classical.

Lucas: Star Wars is extremely controlled. I purposely kept the look of the film reasonably conservative. I have to stay in a particular norm that is designed for young people and family movies.

I think Phantom Menace looked beautiful, and all the Star Wars movies look great. Even though we have moody scenes, it’s still reasonably straightforward in terms of framing and lighting. It’s nicely lit clean photography. I think it’s aesthetically pleasing, it’s not flashy or over-lit, and, quite frankly, I’m very proud of it. At the same time, if I had to pick what I really love to see in a movie, what I’d like to do more than anything, then this is not the style I would pick.

Then why use that style?

Lucas: Because it’s appropriate for the material. This is a particular story that needs to be told in a very romantic, classic, ‘golden era of Hollywood’ style. That’s part of what Star Wars is. This film is very specifically done in the style of a 1930s Saturday matinee serial.

Stylistically, this is a perfect description of five out of the original six movies. Episode V represents a slight departure due to Kershner, but even he was conscientious enough not to stray from it too much. There's still an obvious Lucasian influence on the basic look and feel of The Empire Strikes Back.

TFA is, stylistically, nothing like this. It's an extremely modern movie, through-and-through, from camerawork to lighting to acting to dialogue. The only bit of the old Star Wars stylistic DNA it retains is the use of screen transitions.

What TFA does is mimic the more superficial aspects of the original films, like the use of familiar spaceship designs and overtly terrestrial planetary locations. But Star Wars was originally a much bigger concept than just "Millennium Falcon and a desert planet." It had its own clean, restrained, simple--and, dare I say, retro--cinematic ethos. What J.J. and Disney did was more or less completely abandon Star Wars' 1930's cinematic roots so they could make a 2015-style movie that harked back to the production design of the late-1970's and early-1980's.

They went retro in a way which was completely antithetical to the series' prior sensibilities, which were all about using the most modern production design methods to tell a story in the cinematic style of a 1930's Saturday matinee serial. When Lucas made Star Wars back in 1977, he specifically did his best to try to hide the fact that it was made in 1977 from the audience. He wasn't entirely successful, because that would be impossible. You can still tell Star Wars was made in 1977. But that wasn't supposed to be the spirit of the thing.

Star Wars was supposed to be a monument to the golden age of Hollywood, not a monument to itself. It wasn't supposed to be a period piece about the 1970's. Who gives a poo poo about the 1970's? Star Wars is a documentary about the future, set in the distant past, and filmed by a time-traveler from out of a 1930's studio backlot. The special effects aren't the point. The special effects are whatever they need to be for the story. "Stop motion animation is cool" may be a true statement (because it is cool and I love it), but it has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Empress Theonora posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, the prequels have an awful attitude towards women, too. :v:

The prequel trilogy is literally all about why it's bad to treat women like objects, and how selfish and destructive it is to do so. How is that a bad attitude towards women? Padme's the strongest character in the trilogy. She's the only one who isn't afraid of death.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 12, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As if we needed more proof that the act of distributing prequel hate memes has supplanted the act of watching the films. Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.
It honestly does seem to be getting to this point, though at least plenty of small children seem to still like the films

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cnut the Great posted:

The prequel trilogy is literally all about why it's bad to treat women like objects, and how selfish and destructive it is to do so. How is that a bad attitude towards women? Padme's the strongest character in the trilogy. She's the only one who isn't afraid of death.

What about Shmi Skywalker?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

It honestly does seem to be getting to this point, though at least plenty of small children seem to still like the films

Most well-adjusted moviegoers seem to be liking The Force Awakens just fine.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In general, the concept of the Force is really poorly understood. Like, I don't think anyone has noticed just how bizarre this scene is:

On a literal plot level this makes absolutely no sense. How the gently caress did the yeti monster attach Luke to the ceiling? And then Luke starts lifting things with his mind?

If you've never seen Star Wars before, or have only seen A New Hope, the idea of telekinesis comes completely out of nowhere. The only previous example is Vader choking that guy, which is not the same as lifting a rock or whatever. The choking is presented as a variation on the Jedi mind-trick: Obiwan uses showmanship to con the Stormtroopers, and Vader inspires such terror with a wave of his hand that people have trouble breathing. The logic of how the Force works in A New Hope that is totally different from that of Empire.

So anyways: Luke is upside down, and he somehow pulls the sword into his hand. How do we make sense of this?

The answer is by flipping the scene, so that the laser sword simply falls into Luke's hand. This entire sequence demands to understood as metaphorical. Luke is frozen in place by fear, and his disorientation has made things topsy-turvy. After all, Luke had just been bashed in the head and left in the cold for a few hours. Later, he'll go on a vision quest and start predicting the future. Reality is getting malleable.

Luke: It's like... something out of a dream, or, I don't know. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

And Luke ends up upside-down a lot in this movie:

Why else would Yoda tell him to keep doing handstands for hours, if not to change Luke's perspective so that the ground vanishes? From this point of view, the crates are pulled up by gravity, falling up toward the sky - and this is what gives them the appearance of floating. And isn't the scene underneath Cloud City a clear example of this topsy-turvy imagery, with Luke literally 'falling up', towards the clouds?

What you get at the end of Episode 5 is a reversal of the classic alien abduction image, of being 'beamed up' into the round porthole. Luke is escaping from the world.

This is actually a really good post; I love Empire Strikes Back. :swoon:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

honestly at this point, I'd rather have Arualnauts' special editions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9WVDvVd0E

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 13, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Neurolimal posted:

Why did you say "well-adjusted" here?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

What about Shmi Skywalker?

What about her? She's a strong character too. She let her son go away with Qui-Gon because it would mean a better life for him, even though it would mean she was left all alone as a slave and might never get to see him again.

Neurolimal posted:

Well, it's good to know I'm well-adjusted. But what about all the people who liked The Force Awakens more than "just fine"? Personally, I'm okay with them.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 13, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

Why did you say "well-adjusted" here?

I assume that the people in the video of 5 hours worth of reviewers screaming about the movie on youtube are not well-adjusted.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CelticPredator posted:

honestly at this point, I'd rather have Arualnauts' special editions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9WVDvVd0E

Oh my God. These guys are loving amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cnut the Great posted:

What about her? She's a strong character too. She let her son go away with Qui-Gon because it would mean a better life for him, even though it would mean she was left all alone as a slave and might never get to see him again.

It's not like she had any choice in the matter. She was a slave and Anakin was qui-gon's property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is Naboo supposed to be well-off? You'd think Padme could have scrounged up the pocket change to buy the middle-aged mother of a war heroes' freedom as a "thanks"

• Locked thread