Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

And none of them ever do things in increments of less than 100, so you could divide all the numbers by 100 and nothing would change.

Yugioh increments by 50's sometimes, and has a few old creatures with weird stats ending in 30 or 80.

The design benefit of inflated stats is probably that it lets you print cards that say "Halve target creature's power."

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

1/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

I didn't know Don Thousand had a card but I guess all the villains from his arc had corresponding cards.

I don't know anything about the story, I just translated the text.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Two cards, two artists, Nissa making green magic stuff swirl around ferns. The only difference is Nissa has a staff in the second one.

Is that why that card gains life but the other doesn't?

cheetah7071 posted:

The staff costs 3 mana though

You figured out why one gains life.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nissa's Renewal actually sees play a bit in ramp but I don't really know why. It doesn't actually do anything to stabilize beyond gaining an amount of life that probably doesn't matter on the turn you can cast it.

My opponents reaction to Nissa's Revelation revealing Ulamog is way more worth it, plus you can live he agony of whiffing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Maybe if you're like 5 years old and truly care about games making you feel like a more powerful wizard because zeroes.

I don't think we need to be insulting about it (not that you were serious) but if someone plays WoW or any other game where mudflation is a thing, it's a pretty good example of how eventually inflated stats stop being :aaa: and start being :jerkbag: .

It's like, at level 1 I did 5 damage. At level 60 I did 150 damage. Cool, I like making my numbers bigger. But then at level 85 I'm doing 150000 damage because you need to make it clear to me how insanely bigger my wizardly penis has gotten?** It starts to be meaningless. With these anime card games it's more of an initial design decision than runaway mudflation, but the potential for desensitization seems like it's about the same.

**Obviously there are a few other factors, like the need to obsolete gear from previous expansions, but the exact form of bad game design that arrives at the end doesn't matter so much as what the negative effects of the end are.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I do like anime! I'm not pretending anything. I just (also) scroll down an entire set's worth of cards (eg this) and see less colors put together than in that single Little Red Riding Hood card.

That is more a result of magic art being smushed into a little box while the majority of real estate on the card face is taken up by a frame and text that by their nature are really bland and samey. MTG cards sacrifice a lot of aesthetics to be legible. If you reversed it, and had the anime girls in a little box surrounded by a boring frame while a bigger picture of Wild Nacatl dominated a card face with less notable text and game data, then whatever anime girl would similarly look muted by comparison.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Nissa's Renewal actually sees play a bit in ramp but I don't really know why. It doesn't actually do anything to stabilize beyond gaining an amount of life that probably doesn't matter on the turn you can cast it.

My opponents reaction to Nissa's Revelation revealing Ulamog is way more worth it, plus you can live he agony of whiffing.

As a Jeskai Black player, anytime my opponent casts Nissa's Renewal I groan because I know something I can't deal with is coming the very next turn for a fact (and likely the turn after that, and after that, etc... given Sanctum of Ugin). It changes a bit post-board with Negate and Disdainful Stroke, but I've usually blown those earlier on Explosive Vegetations and maybe a naturally cast Ugin. The 7 life definitely matters to me since it gives them 1-2 turns of breathing room depending on how fortunate I've been with my Monastery Mentor draw, and I feel Jeskai Black really needs to be able to close out the game fast against ramp when it has the tiniest window open, and Nissa's Renewal feels the most window-slamming-shut when I face it.

edit: I forgot about Duress which I also have a good amount of, but any number of spells that deal with non-creature spells out of my opponent basically never feel like enough against ramp, which I have my worst match % against by far.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 12, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

It ramps you by three, which is a very big deal when you are trying to cast a 10-drop.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

6+3, draw a land, cast ulamog. 7 life also isn't chump change if you've been keeping creatures under control. I run 2 in my g/w ramp deck and I haven't considered cutting them. It buys an entire turn while ramping, which is exactly what you want.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

little munchkin posted:

It ramps you by three, which is a very big deal when you are trying to cast a 10-drop.

It costs 6, doing something else like Oblivion Sower is almost always better.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

It costs 6, doing something else like Oblivion Sower is almost always better.

It depends how close to winning the game you are next turn - Oblivion Sower hitting 3 is a pretty lucky occurance.

Also you can only run 4 Oblivion Sowers unless you're that one Elvish Archdruid guy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

It depends how close to winning the game you are next turn - Oblivion Sower hitting 3 is a pretty lucky occurance.

Also you can only run 4 Oblivion Sowers unless you're that one Elvish Archdruid guy.

No you see these two extra were copies of Sower of Temptation. I mean, Oblivion Ring.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Doing Magic illustrations digitally (or just any kind of illustration) means that you don't have to go through the process of making copy work and you can edit work much more easily.

I mean, I'd kill for a printmaker to do some Magic art, but doing it digitally means you don't need nearly as much space for equipment, don't have to have the equipment or pay someone else to do your copy work, store the artwork, and don't have as much of a risk of having to completely start over if a piece is rejected by the art director.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

:lol:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm guessing you've whiffed more than you'd like to admit is acceptable for a 7 drop.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That is more a result of magic art being smushed into a little box while the majority of real estate on the card face is taken up by a frame and text that by their nature are really bland and samey. MTG cards sacrifice a lot of aesthetics to be legible. If you reversed it, and had the anime girls in a little box surrounded by a boring frame while a bigger picture of Wild Nacatl dominated a card face with less notable text and game data, then whatever anime girl would similarly look muted by comparison.

A lot of the old art looks perfectly good in the small text box though. Sometimes it seems like the artist/art director forgets that the art is supposed to be confined to a tiny box and not a large canvas or HD image.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I run Nissa's renewal to thin my deck. The life gain is just a bonus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oblivion Sower ramps you less and your opponent can probably just kill it and keep beating you down. Getting probably at least one extra turn with 9+ mana in play is pretty good.

e: it also helps turn on Shrine of the Forsaken Gods so the chance of it getting you to Ulamog mana is pretty high

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm amazed that with all the talk over FoW's art, no one is commented on how mind-bogglingly terrible the "flavor text" is. I'd take any Magic expression flavor text over that poo poo any day.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm amazed that with all the talk over FoW's art, no one is commented on how mind-bogglingly terrible the "flavor text" is. I'd take any Magic expression flavor text over that poo poo any day.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"That's my win!"
-- llanowar expression meaning "It was probably a lousy spell in the first place."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Come on Ramos, I love Force of Will in spite of it's awful presentation but the level of bad flavor text in it is insane.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

No, I'm not disagreeing. The flavor text is a major case of lazy translation probably coupled with not exactly being Shakespearean in its native language. That tends to leave it feeling redundant and stilted.

I just remembered Lottery of Babylon's quote and thought it was funny and fitting for the moment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
To all of you that said "WOTC isn't going after people with sharpies".

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/40kdsz/wizards_may_be_cracking_down_on_unsanctioned/cyvzi9d

Welp.

Trick wants to be infamous.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 13, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Trick

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

"You should feel bad for [massive corporation]'s bottom line."

-Man who professionally goes by the name "Trick", January 2016.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

"Trick" posted:

We know players love Magic and love playing its variety of formats, including Vintage and Legacy. Some formats are easier to get into than others and these two are hard.

"Go gently caress yourselves," Trick continued.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wonder if this started with Hasbro or Wizards. Were there any seat changes for Hasbro recently?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Good news on the gameday playmat friends

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Those (light) shafts don't look right

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That white cut in/shine looks terrible.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I wonder how many pieces of silver he got for writing this?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

So, could a Judge, hypothetically, strongarm a store and/or a player and/or a TO into getting one of those? Asking for a friend. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Those (light) shafts don't look right

How many shrooms do you think Chandra did that day

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Ramos posted:

I wonder if this started with Hasbro or Wizards. Were there any seat changes for Hasbro recently?

At my employment we've been victim to some internet legal issues lately, and our lawyers have been going ham with press blurbs/explanations and "this is our new motto". These sudden blasts of "Intellectual Property" keywords and rewriting of policies, etc. remind me very similar to our company's lawyer's responses.

In my opinion, Hasbro got pretty pissed that they were under fire from Chinese manufacturers (pretty much the stereotypical fear of a toy company) and sent some overbearing law team to MTG to tie up loose ends and reevaluate corner cases (Leaks/Proxies/Printings) and establish new policies.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I googled "Top 8 vintage deck", took the first one that popped up (happened to be UR Delver), and checked its price. Sixteen thousand dollars.

Banning sharpied islands actually promotes counterfeiting. People who were playing sharpied island vintage aren't going to turn around and drop sixteen loving thousand dollars for a "real" deck, but they might spend a few bucks on chinese counterfeits that look real so they would be allowed to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OfChristandMen posted:

At my employment we've been victim to some internet legal issues lately, and our lawyers have been going ham with press blurbs/explanations and "this is our new motto". These sudden blasts of "Intellectual Property" keywords and rewriting of policies, etc. remind me very similar to our company's lawyer's responses.

In my opinion, Hasbro got pretty pissed that they were under fire from Chinese manufacturers (pretty much the stereotypical fear of a toy company) and sent some overbearing law team to MTG to tie up loose ends and reevaluate corner cases (Leaks/Proxies/Printings) and establish new policies.

This actually just increases the demand for Chinese counterfeits

This is the most rear end-backwards way of going about this and I can't think of any way it's not backfiring

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

So uh who do I talk to to get them to customize this to add in the thought bubble?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like trick wasn't a good hire as community manager.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

OfChristandMen posted:

Yeah, I am not surprised at all. Every time an emergency comes up in my workplace, it's just lawyers tapping their feet menacingly, but that manages to always freak out everyone.

I guess the solution for vintage is to counterfeit better.

Sickening posted:

I feel like trick wasn't a good hire as community manager.

To be fair, how would you break this to the masses? Being community manager occasionally means having to take poo poo two ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JerryLee posted:

I agree that calling a sharpie job a "counterfeit" seems like a stretch, but they've established that it isn't a "proxy" so what exactly is it?

Trick Jarrett posted:

I know that feels crazy, that we regard marker on a card as a counterfeit, but remove the visual accuracy from the judgment – they serve identical purposes when it comes to game play.

I thought I was just making a comment on how oversimplified their category scheme was, I wasn't expecting them to literally double down on calling sharpie jobs counterfeits

holy poo poo

• Locked thread