Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i have a 15 year old video on newgrounds with 250k+ views

it's terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I used to waste some time on those:

And watched the poo poo outta this on shockwave.com when I wasn't checking those South Park flash clips.

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"
stileproject

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

10 years ago I was a Patriotic Nigras member and spent way too much time griefing in Second Life.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't really estimate how much time I wasted on Newgrounds. I was a kid so I couldn't afford to buy games all the time, and Newgrounds seemed really edgy. Funny considering that flash is on the way out and all this stuff could easily disappear forever.

The day when I've discovered the program to download the swf files was great. I could finally download all those "kill celebrity (or Bin Laden) games. There was a fighting game where you could make your own character by swapping various torsos, heads etc. so you could have Optimus Prime with dual lightsabers and Blade's trenchcoat. When the very first Alien Hominid game was released, I couldn't believe how they could squeeze so much animation and fluid controls into the thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy loving poo poo Radiskull and Devil Doll I remember those

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Squashy Nipples posted:

More handheld goodness, here a primitive Space Invaders clone from Bandai:

Released in 1980, I got it for Christmas that year. Super primitive, but I played the poo poo out of it.
I remember enjoying how "futuristic" the plastic case looked, with it's orange, candy-like buttons.

Oh hell yes I had this. Played it constantly until I lost it in the closet and when I found it again the battery had burst.

Also played the hell out of these two.

There was absolutely nothing digital about them but who cared

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i will never experience a greater upgrade in gaming experience than these two things added to my little Pentium 120 (OC'd to 133)

i also maintained a stable 10% overclock on the voodoo by sticking a passive heatsink to the tmu

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Speaking of old flash cartoons... Remember icebox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dLmfQ6j58

Hard Drinkin' Lincoln was probably my fave.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GxchBYYpqE

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
MDK for PC in the 90s seemed to run pretty well on even relatively modest systems at the time. I never played more than the demo, though, and have little idea how well it held up over the last 20 years.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

Someone had released a cobbled together version of After Dark which had .dlls spliced in from newer versions. Instead of it being integrated into Windows like before it effectively ran minimised in the taskbar.

The downside is that Windows has slowly phased out 16bit compatibility, the last version having support is the 32bit version of Windows 7 where you have to enable it via a registry tweak.
After Dark 4.0 can work in Windows 10, but the classic toasters are replaced by the glossy 3D ones. The awesome thing was that almost all of the screensavers were set to tiled so it doesn't care about 1920x1080 resolution.

What we really need is a screen saver that runs a VM in VirtualBox that runs After Dark :v: I think I have a really old version of After Dark on floppies (or even just 1) somewhere, I think it was designed for Windows 3.x so it's not going to run on my 64-bit system!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Still catching up on the thread but wanted to post something I ran across this past weekend in my garage. Nerdy as poo poo but also nostalgic as poo poo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyson Tomko posted:

Still catching up on the thread but wanted to post something I ran across this past weekend in my garage. Nerdy as poo poo but also nostalgic as poo poo

I remember when I first saw a computer that turned off automatically after shutdown and I thought it was some magical space aged poo poo.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Negrostrike posted:

I used to waste some time on those:

And watched the poo poo outta this on shockwave.com when I wasn't checking those South Park flash clips.

I saw this and immediately started singing "i am the radiskull" in my head

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
gonads and strife

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember when I first saw a computer that turned off automatically after shutdown and I thought it was some magical space aged poo poo.

Same here man. It still feels satisfying to turn off a computer at that screen, especially if it's got a big rear end industrial power button that takes a ton of force to push. The same computer had a zip drive (a state of the art 100mb internal zip drive at that) and except for a replacement hard drive and cpu fan that sucker still runs just fine. Once in a blue moon when my friends and I party we'll sometimes get some old rear end computers together, including that one, and have a Starcraft 1 lan party.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Damnit I haven't quoted instead of editing in probably 5+ years. Get another excuse to post an old internet/computer relic then I suppose:

Some Ultima Online action to compliment all the Everquest stuff I saw several pages back. FYI I still play every now and then on a private shard, so if anyone is ever interested hit me up or google UOSA (Ultima Online Second Age) because it kicks rear end and is of course 100% free.

Tyson Tomko has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jan 13, 2016

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Back in the day when Quake was still new and people were still fingering iD software developer .plans, I got the wild idea to take the ip hostnames in the header and plugging those into a browser. I found a web server with binaries for an internal pre-release Quakeworld build on a workstation (I think Barret Alexander's, I can't remember), unpassworded. I played on their test servers for a day or two before I actually told one of them what happened, and the binaries were put behind a password. They were quite cool about it and I still got to play for a few more days until they moved onto a new build.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i played a bunch of Little Fighter 2 with a friend from 2003-2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fighter_2

it was great for a rudimentary beatem up game. you could set "war" matches where you'd have 64 characters on each side, just running at each other for the few weapons in the middle of the map.

i found out a couple years ago that there was a 3, but it wanted to install a billion toolbars and whatever. was a bummer to see something i cherished fall to that level.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

gonads and strife

All I want is bang bang bang.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Mak0rz posted:

Ha, I had forgotten. I had this same moment. "It can't really be off..."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did you have something like this in the States?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r6XJi9EOE

Basically it was a TV show where you dialled in and if you were lucky you got to play that Hugo game on air by pressing number pad buttons on your phone.

Speaking of hybrid multimedia, during the late 90s some TV channels expanded their Teletext service to include classified ads. And the way you put in an ad was interesting - you dialed a premium phone number, tuned to a specific Teletext page and used the number pad on your phone to enter text.

During the rise of SMS messaging there were also Teletext chat pages where you sent a SMS to a certain number and it would show up on a page like this:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

ymgve posted:

Basically it was a TV show where you dialled in and if you were lucky you got to play that Hugo game on air by pressing number pad buttons on your phone.

Disappointed that this wasn't Hugo's House of Horrors, i.e. disappointed that this wasn't from the very early 90s.

That's some pretty crazy ideas for interactive stuff through the TV though!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Tyson Tomko posted:

This became the bane of my existence when my aunt bought a new Packard Bell back in the mid-90s. Instead of going through the normal Windows shutdown process, I just hit the power button. You know, like you would on a TV set.

The next time it booted up, my aunt was greeted with a kaleidoscope of screwed up colors. Never found out what was wrong with it (and it was eventually fixed), but my aunt was pretty upset and my mother banned me from ever using that computer.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
pre:
                               ==Phrack Inc.==

Volume One, Issue 7, Phile 3 of 10

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The following was written shortly after my arrest...

\/\The Conscience of a Hacker/\/

by

+++The Mentor+++

Written on January 8, 1986
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers.  "Teenager
Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...
        drat kids.  They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?
        I am a hacker, enter my world...
        Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of
the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...
        drat underachiever.  They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school.  I've listened to teachers explain
for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction.  I understand it.  "No, Ms.
Smith, I didn't show my work.  I did it in my head..."
        drat kid.  Probably copied it.  They're all alike.

I made a discovery today.  I found a computer.  Wait a second, this is
cool.  It does what I want it to.  If it makes a mistake, it's because I
screwed it up.  Not because it doesn't like me...
                Or feels threatened by me...
                Or thinks I'm a smart rear end...
                Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...
        drat kid.  All he does is play games.  They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through
the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is
sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is
found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."
        I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to
them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...
        drat kid.  Tying up the phone line again.  They're all alike...

You bet your rear end we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at
school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip
through were pre-chewed and tasteless.  We've been dominated by sadists, or
ignored by the apathetic.  The few that had something to teach found us will-
ing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
beauty of the baud.  We make use of a service already existing without paying
for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and
you call us criminals.  We explore... and you call us criminals.  We seek
after knowledge... and you call us criminals.  We exist without skin color,
without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals.
You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us
and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal.  My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is
that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.  You may stop this individual,
but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

+++The Mentor+++

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ymgve posted:

Not that I recall. In a similar vein Lucasarts was at one point considering putting their adventure games in arcades. But pesky questions like whether people would be paying for time, or if anyone really had the desire to stand in an arcade long enough to complete one. Needless to say the idea was abandoned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tater_salad posted:

All I want is bang bang bang.

Haha, I just looked that up a few weeks ago. I never realized it actually had meme-level currency.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Data Graham posted:

Haha, I just looked that up a few weeks ago. I never realized it actually had meme-level currency.

Group X were pretty big, yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF3pVOHtoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIeOULX79VA

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

oh of course they're all looking for a quick gently caress

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ymgve posted:

Kinda obscure, but it was a thing in Brazil as well (never heard of it until much later).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5IYwSBox0

I'd bang that presenter.

Negostrike has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jan 13, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Tyson Tomko posted:

Did abruptly turning the computer off pose any real threat of damaging it? I remember my uncle yelling at me for holding the button down on his computer to turn it off.

I always put it in the same bullshit category as my grandma telling me I was going to break her TV by turning the channels too fast

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

Did abruptly turning the computer off pose any real threat of damaging it? I remember my uncle yelling at me for holding the button down on his computer to turn it off.

I always put it in the same bullshit category as my grandma telling me I was going to break her TV by turning the channels too fast

If the hard drive hadn't spun down then there was a danger of data loss or corruption. Older file systems weren't as robust, and losing the file allocation table could hose an entire install.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Websites for things that turned out badly are fairly creepy.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010204013700/http://windowsontheworld.com/wow/index.shtml

http://web.archive.org/web/20030214163647/http://thestationrocks.com/

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/spacenews/reports/sts-107/sts-107-17.html

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Buttcoin purse posted:

What we really need is a screen saver that runs a VM in VirtualBox that runs After Dark :v: I think I have a really old version of After Dark on floppies (or even just 1) somewhere, I think it was designed for Windows 3.x so it's not going to run on my 64-bit system!

If you google "After Dark XP" you'll find a version of 3.0 that works for any OS with 16bit support. I suppose it might be feasible to install AD on an XP VM and run it through Unity to get your beloved toasters back.
Some of the other modules like The Simpsons were pretty awesome, the Itchy and Scratchy fight was amusing as it had old 3.11 icons mixed in with modern ones.

There's a registry tweak required to get AD 4.0 to work on 64bit systems.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
people used to be super into modifying their desktops. linux had lots of great stuff build into most WMs but windows.. eh we had to resort to using stuff like windowsblinds from stardock

[timg]http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/wb5-3[1].jpg[/timg]

red19fire
May 26, 2010

One of the related videos is the 'ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny'. I wonder what ever happened to these early newgrounds stars.

Right around the time The Matrix came out there were a ton of these stick fight videos going around, This was the first and only one in the series I could ever find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdzHpr-QZhw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

red19fire posted:

One of the related videos is the 'ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny'. I wonder what ever happened to these early newgrounds stars.

Lemon Demon aka Neil Ciceriga was once a goon and left because people made fun of him for claiming he "invented a new animation style" known as "animutation"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
On the subject of theming...litestep

https://youtu.be/ufw0K0AQbFI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

theultimo posted:

On the subject of theming...litestep

https://youtu.be/ufw0K0AQbFI

Man I had a turbo riced lite step theme with 3 19" crts on my desk during my formative teenage years. I'm pretty sure I got a lifetime of radiation during high school with that setup

Return Of JimmyJars has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jan 14, 2016