Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Wait, the exact same thing happened 5 years ago.

holy poo poo, in the exact same airport even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Studies have been made attempting to prove that pit bulls are unusually aggressive, but all of them are criticized either for bad data or misinterpreting it. They are large and physically powerful, which makes them more dangerous than a chihuahua if they attack someone, but controlled studies that accounted for dogs' training and home environment found that pit bulls and other "aggressive breeds" aren't really any more dangerous than others. The American Veterinary Medical Association even discredited its own study from prior decades that had previously claimed that breeds like pit bulls and Rottweilers are unusually aggressive.

One of the biggest causes is that "aggressive" breeds like pit bulls, Rottweilers, wolf mixes, and Dobermans are more likely than others to be owned by people with prior criminal convictions and anti-social behaviors, as much as 10 times the ownership rate of "low risk" dogs. The best answer is that it's circular logic: anti-social assholes buy dogs that have a reputation for being aggressive, mistreat their dogs until they become aggressive, and now that breed has a furthered reputation for being aggressive. Which is incredibly sad and not at all schadenfreude, because it means that dogs that aren't a threat at all get feared, locked away, and potentially killed for no good reason.

That still doesn't eliminate the prey drive and lovely behavioral issues that are shared between all Pitbulls. You can't even keep more than one without crating because they get weirdly neurotic about the other one being near you. Rottweilers and Dobermans don't have the reputation for being that bad that they require crating/rotation to be around their owner.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Texas gun owners find that the new open carry laws restrict them from more and more businesses:

http://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/open-carry-texas-chl-forum/

I love it when conservatives 'succeed' at getting their laws passed, then find out they live in the real world and not the Imperium of Man :allears:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Arent french poodles the worst and most violent dogs ever or something.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Texas gun owners find that the new open carry laws restrict them from more and more businesses:

Next up will be a law that prohibits the display of those signs, so far the courts agree that the first amendment must be subservient to the second.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mulva posted:

Next up will be a law that prohibits the display of those signs, so far the courts agree that the first amendment must be subservient to the second.

Totally curious here, when has the second amendment trumped the first somehow? Besides pointing a gun at someone and saying, "Say that again motherfucker."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

nerdz posted:

Arent french poodles the worst and most violent dogs ever or something.

They're supposedly very violent dogs, as they were bread for hunting or something. I think it has more to do though with people not thinking poodles are capable of anything, so parents leave their kids unattended around them and don't bat an eye when junior is using the dogs tail as rope swing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Aw, but isn't Texas like the Wild West or something? Don't you always need your trusty six-shooter at your side to deal with Injuns and desperados?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Bonus: the score at the end is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szUJSXBjpJM

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

chitoryu12 posted:

Pit bulls have an undeserved reputation for being mean, aggressive dogs that you can use as a tough guard dog that rips up burglars. So assholes who want an aggressive guard dog buy them and abuse them (usually because they're assholes who don't know how to take care of an animal) until they become mean, aggressive dogs that rip up anyone they see. It's a vicious cycle that ends up getting a completely normal breed vilified and abused. Same with dogs like Rottweilers and Dobermans.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies) get a horrible reputation also which is completely undeserved. They were originally bred as bull fighters and were used for dog fights but every Staffy that I have ever met has been the happiest little idiot. From what I have heard, the big thing is that poor owners train them to be aggressive and Staffies just want to make people happy by obeying them. Of course they're also often stolen because they're just too friendly and easily adapt to changing house.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the conclusion is that a shittily raised example of a less-aggressive breed will still be a bigger shithead of a dog and more dangerous than a well raised example of a highly aggressive breed.

For my piece, the most aggressive and lovely dogs I've ever encountered have all been chihuahuas and mixes thereof.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Testekill posted:

Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies) get a horrible reputation also which is completely undeserved. They were originally bred as bull fighters and were used for dog fights but every Staffy that I have ever met has been the happiest little idiot. From what I have heard, the big thing is that poor owners train them to be aggressive and Staffies just want to make people happy by obeying them. Of course they're also often stolen because they're just too friendly and easily adapt to changing house.

When I was moving my brother to Biloxi this past weekend, there was a black Staffie at the apartment one story up and a few doors down (outdoor entrances at the complex). We called her over and she drat near sprinted so people could pet her and play with her. She just wants nothing more than to be loved by everyone and unconditionally loves everyone.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

chitoryu12 posted:

When I was moving my brother to Biloxi this past weekend, there was a black Staffie at the apartment one story up and a few doors down (outdoor entrances at the complex). We called her over and she drat near sprinted so people could pet her and play with her. She just wants nothing more than to be loved by everyone and unconditionally loves everyone.

Yeah, a neighbour of my mum & step dad have a staffy that belongs to their daughter. At Christmas time it just tore around the neighbourhood and just ran up to my parents house for some attention and then went sprinting away a minute later. The only problem is that they drool everywhere so you don't want them anywhere near a carpet.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

CowboyKid posted:

I think we shouldn't have a tipping system in restaurants and all baby boys should be circumcised and that if you have a penis, you are a boy.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That still doesn't eliminate the prey drive and lovely behavioral issues that are shared between all Pitbulls. You can't even keep more than one without crating because they get weirdly neurotic about the other one being near you. Rottweilers and Dobermans don't have the reputation for being that bad that they require crating/rotation to be around their owner.

Not to mention, being a bad dog owner includes not acknowledging the likely character of your dog. See also: people who adopt border collies they don't intend to let out of their tiny apartment.

... Unless people legitimately believe that you can breed a dog for literally any behavioral trait except aggression, which is asinine considering we've shown that canids can be bred for lower aggression, which implies other lineages are relatively more aggressive!

Pick has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Jan 13, 2016

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I really want to see what happens if you pull both open at the same time -- I wonder if it would work that way.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I really want to see what happens if you pull both open at the same time -- I wonder if it would work that way.
It won't.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Testekill posted:

Yeah, definitely this. Staffordshire Terriers are too nice to be guard dogs. They just don't have the temperament, even if the owner treats them like poo poo. My parents have owned Staffy's most of my life and every one of them has been a 60 pound sweetheart.

Cythereal posted:

I think the conclusion is that a shittily raised example of a less-aggressive breed will still be a bigger shithead of a dog and more dangerous than a well raised example of a highly aggressive breed.

For my piece, the most aggressive and lovely dogs I've ever encountered have all been chihuahuas and mixes thereof.

I think part of the reason that toy dogs end up being the most aggressive is a combination of a lack of training and admonishment. Instead of seeing a barking Chihuahua and smacking it on the nose, everyone just kind of hovers over it and giggles at its impotent rage.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Agree 110% - my family had a 130 pound female Rottweiler named Bertha when I was younger. She was the biggest teddy bear and had the sweetest demeanor of any dog I've ever had, and was extremely tolerant. Protective too, if she so much as heard someone say "ow" or sensed something was up, she was up, alert, hair on end and ready to keep the family safe. A couple times she got out of the garage or back yard, and wouldn't bother any other people or pets - more often than not we'd find her laying in the grass a block away with kids fawning over her, just soaking up attention :3: The worst thing she ever did was drop nasty rear end silent farts, but goddamn if it wasn't hysterical to see everyone's reaction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I took care of a Chihuahua a few years ago and his biggest problem was extreme clinginess. He would get very attached to whoever was taking care of him and cry at the door whenever one of us leaved. Even if just one of the people in my family walked out temporarily, he would get upset and have to be taken care of.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cythereal posted:

Possibly but they do not kill people when they are aggressive, pit bulls do, and more often then any other breed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Totally curious here, when has the second amendment trumped the first somehow? Besides pointing a gun at someone and saying, "Say that again motherfucker."

That is pretty much it though. The right to show lethal force and use it to suppress speech has and is being upheld all the time. Look at open carry laws and what the other poster said. Its basically saying to everyone through physical action that you are armed with lethal force and are clearly ready to use that force. This completely changes the 1st amendment protected right of everyone around you to the point that laws favor the person with the weapon over your right to say something that might piss them off.

Edit: The analogy to guns with pits seems dead on to me as the other poster said. Sure its legal to have that Rocket Launcher but WHY do you exactly need a rocket launcher unless you intend to gently caress poo poo up at some point?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jastiger posted:

That is pretty much it though. The right to show lethal force and use it to suppress speech has and is being upheld all the time. Look at open carry laws and what the other poster said. Its basically saying to everyone through physical action that you are armed with lethal force and are clearly ready to use that force. This completely changes the 1st amendment protected right of everyone around you to the point that laws favor the person with the weapon over your right to say something that might piss them off.

Edit: The analogy to guns with pits seems dead on to me as the other poster said. Sure its legal to have that Rocket Launcher but WHY do you exactly need a rocket launcher unless you intend to gently caress poo poo up at some point?

Your understanding of the first amendment is on par with a typical reddit user.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Your Gay Uncle posted:

after the mandatory circumcision we need to have a celebratory meal of well done steak dipped in Ketchup.

I'll be there but first I have to pump my own gas from a pump with a locking handle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MisterOblivious posted:

Your understanding of the first amendment is on par with a typical reddit user.

As is your ability to post anything worth while.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the baby kicked by a downs person before or after the circumcision?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nerdz posted:

Is the baby kicked by a downs person before or after the circumcision?

After. We're going in ascending chromosome pairs order.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

after the mandatory circumcision we need to have a celebratory meal of well done steak dipped in Ketchup.

HERETIC! BURN THE HERETIC! BUT ONLY TO MEDIUM OR MEDIUM RARE!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PYF thing that's two or three inches away from being a faces of death video.

http://i.imgur.com/tE2lN7v.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/PgH9wTB.gifv

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Possibly but they do not kill people when they are aggressive, pit bulls do, and more often then any other breed.

Because there are more pitbulls than most other big dog breeds combined, ignoring just how many actually exist if you count illegal\unregistered pitbulls. And they're mostly owned by the scum of the earth that thinks having one is badass.

Put ten million german shepherds in the hands of chavs and wannabe gangsters and they news about german shepherd maulings will start soaring too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mans posted:

PYF thing that's two or three inches away from being a faces of death video.

http://i.imgur.com/tE2lN7v.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/PgH9wTB.gifv

These are great fake videos.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

http://imgur.com/gallery/KSsaSyi

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wollschlaeger v. Governor of the State of Florida

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nerdz posted:

Now for some BREAKING NEWS dog schadenfreude:

There's a dog running loose on a major São Paulo airport runway, preventing several airplanes from landing and lifting off. Several Airport staff are chasing the dog for over 10 minutes and haven't managed to catch it yet. Its being broadcasted live from a news station. I'll post the video as soon as it goes up on youtube.

When i worked at YVR a dog crate with a tiny dog broke open and the dog got out. It was small, and pretty slow so it should have been much easier to catch that this brazilian one, but the dog decided to run parallel to the airport building, crossing under all the parked planes,. The guys chasing it would get to almost in range of grabbing it, then they would have to duck and go under the parked planes, and that would happen over and over again. It was really funny, lasted until the dog just gave up. Everyone watching couldn't stop laughing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This is amazing. Shopkeepers understandably don't want a bunch of wierd, neckbearded hicks wandering around their story holding an AR-15, so just banned guns from their stores in general and now the gun owners are whining about it. Delicious.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mulva posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Uh yeah so...nothing that Jastiger said has anything to do with '2nd Amendment trumps 1st Amendment.' Mulva was specifically talking about Docs vs. Glocks

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Mans posted:

Put ten million german shepherds in the hands of chavs and wannabe gangsters and they news about german shepherd maulings will start soaring too.

This was the case in the 1980s in the UK, then dobermans and Rottweilers in the 90s, then staffies for the past 10 years or so. My dad says in the 60 and 70s it was bulldogs. These things wax and wane depending on what the fuckwit population thinks makes them look hard as they drag it round on a chain, and the media is always fairly quick to condemn specific breeds as "demon dogs".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rick_Hunter posted:

Uh yeah so...nothing that Jastiger said has anything to do with '2nd Amendment trumps 1st Amendment.' Mulva was specifically talking about Docs vs. Glocks

Jesus loving christ.

America is fuuuucked uuuup.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Does anyone have any statistics on which breeds are most likely to open-carry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Knormal posted:

Does anyone have any statistics on which breeds are most likely to open-carry?