Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Wolf of Wall Street actually was a comedy, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DrVenkman posted:

THE MARTIAN being a comedy was the running gag of the night. Even when Scott won he kind of shrugged at the idea. It was like when DiCaprio won for THE WOLF OF WALL STREET for best Comedy Actor.
What exactly makes The Martian not a comedy?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks more in the drama category to me. Even Ridley Scott and Matt Damon were baffled by it when they were asked why it was in the comedy category.

Mozart in the Jungle is really forgettable.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 12, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

THE MARTIAN being a comedy was the running gag of the night. Even when Scott won he kind of shrugged at the idea. It was like when DiCaprio won for THE WOLF OF WALL STREET for best Comedy Actor.

But The Wolf of Wall Street is at least actually very funny and could be considered a comedy a lot easier than The freakin' Martian.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress YOU, PUTO

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The Golden Globes are really forgettable.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've just begun Mozart season 2 and I am in love with this show.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Is Daria still cool or am I a dweeb for being totally in love with it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Good luck finding any versions with the original music. That was a huge part of the charm.

On an unrelated note, The pilot of Dark Angel apparently cost $10 million in 2000 dollars, meaning $14 million-ish today. Where the gently caress did the money go? It's aged extremely poorly, Jessica Alba's terrible acting aside.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Look, he's one-sixteenth Navajo, you gotta respect his traditions

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

pentyne posted:

Good luck finding any versions with the original music. That was a huge part of the charm.

They're not too hard to find, they're just not very high quality. The episode with the warbly autotune Kid Rock song is probably my favourite though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't imagine the bit where they parody the video for Everybody Hurts makes sense without the music.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JohnSherman posted:

What exactly makes The Martian not a comedy?

It has jokes in it, but it's a drama through and through. It's like saying TRAINWRECK is a drama because it has dramatic moments.

precision posted:

But The Wolf of Wall Street is at least actually very funny and could be considered a comedy a lot easier than The freakin' Martian.

Of course this is correct, I had a blank moment then. I think it's because I saw them replay the clip of DiCaprio joking that he knew he'd always win best comedic actor.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

muscles like this? posted:

I can't imagine the bit where they parody the video for Everybody Hurts makes sense without the music.

It's really easy to find versions where DVD-quality stuff is used everywhere but scenes that use the original music are dubbed with TV rips.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

blue squares posted:

I've just begun Mozart season 2 and I am in love with this show.

Same. I think I watched 8 episodes in a row last night.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't think PERSON OF INTEREST was doing that bad ratings wise, so why is it getting hosed around so much?

Abrams confirmed it's likely to get cancelled after the this season, but said that it's a shame because the story they had planned for after that sounded amazing. For a show that I barely watched when it started (As in I cared little for it) it got drat good. It'll be a shame to see it go.

Pullin' this back, but pretty much all speculation about POI and CBS is that POI is WB-owned and CBS has doubled down this season on prioritizing its homegrown shows over externally-produced fare.

More or less everyone assumes S5 will be its last season, at least on CBS, and Netflix has at least expressed a vague interest in pick it up for future seasons, but no parties involved can discuss/negotiate that until/unless CBS actually makes said cancellation official. (And that's increasingly less likely to happen in the first place the longer CBS sits on the show without making a decision.)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Daria is amazing...don't ever let anybody tell you otherwise.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
The Martian is a comedy much in the same way as Transparent S2 and Casual S1 are comedies. Which is to say that it isn't.

The GGs are always bullshit but this was the worst one I've seen. Mad Men not even nominated in Drama? Fargo loses to some show I've never even heard of?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fargo loses to some show I've never even heard of?

Yeah, because awards should be given based on brand recognition. Great measure of quality.

Wolf Hall has won tons of awards and critical acclaim besides just the Globes, so not having heard of it is entirely on you. Maybe crawl out of your cave sometime and see what's out there in the world.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I didn't watch the Golden Globes but "shows you've heard of" isn't really a good criteria for merit.

E:FB

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

less laughter posted:

Yeah, because awards should be given based on brand recognition. Great measure of quality.

Wolf Hall has won tons of awards and critical acclaim besides just the Globes, so not having heard on you is entirely on you. Maybe crawl out of your cave sometime and see what's out there in the world.

whoa, SHUPS 4 DETH, are you going to just let someone trash talk you like this on TV IV????

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

blue squares posted:

whoa, SHUPS 4 DETH, are you going to just let someone trash talk you like this on TV IV????

probably yeah :shrug: wait 'til they find out i haven't watched fargo either

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the Golden Globes should be honoring British stuff because nobody cares and they don't even talk right.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think I've watched every good show :(
I'm going to have to start watching non-English shows, which I usually avoid because I like to multi-task during episodes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The problem with Wolf Hall winning a Golden Globe is that the award doesn't mean poo poo so I don't know if it's actually any good. The cast is fantastic but the GG gives it a bad stench.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You might have to do the unthinkable and just watch a show you don't already have a preformed opinion on based on internet forum posts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who the hell does that?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/687045971637743616

I'm okay with this. Considering Shameless is the longest running Showtime show that hasn't poo poo the bed yet. Penny Dreadful probably the only close second.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So who's pumped for the Mad TV reunion special tonight at 8?

...anyone?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

About as excited for a Mad About You reunion.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

So who's pumped for the Mad TV reunion special tonight at 8?

...anyone?
...the what?

Why? Why is this happening? And why now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...the what?

Why? Why is this happening? And why now?

Why are they having a 20th anniversary reunion when the show debuted 21 years ago? The world is full of mysteries, my friend.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/687045971637743616

I'm okay with this. Considering Shameless is the longest running Showtime show that hasn't poo poo the bed yet. Penny Dreadful probably the only close second.

Holy poo poo, we have embedded tweets now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Still no WebM support though for whatever reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I hope this heralds the return of the Digg button.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Can I Flattr OPs?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

Still no WebM support though for whatever reason.

Vines in tweets work, so you could presumably put a webm in a tweet and embed that. Let me try:

https://twitter.com/wayfu/status/668746294178000896

edit: play button, but it works

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is anyone else getting super excited for 11/22/63? Just saw the full trailer for it. Is anyone making a thread?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will you need a pay Hulu account for it? I don't know how Hulu exclusives work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is anyone else getting super excited for 11/22/63? Just saw the full trailer for it. Is anyone making a thread?

I would be way more excited about it if Under the Dome hadn't happened.

• Locked thread