Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Yea that seems a reasonable thing to think.

I'm not in management but do potential managers routinely get interviewed by underlings?

It's fairly common to make sure of a good fit. It can help you (the underling) feel involved in the process rather than just having someone shoehorned in above you. This assumes everyone is an adult and they have considered and discussed the potential of said underlings to move up to take the position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

KillHour posted:

We use 3:4 monitors at 1024x768, and I asked my boss when we were going to get monitors from this century. His response was to get mad at me, say the resolution is fine and it's all anyone should need. "What, you want us to buy everyone 22" widescreen monitors!?!?"

Uh.... yes?

Answer: no, 27" monitors. 22" works out the same size as a 17" 4:3 chopped in half, you are losing screen real estate.

You can use http://www.tvcalculator.com to help match equivalent sizes up, a 19" 4:3 is about a 24" widescreen.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At my last job, most people had tiny crap monitors that were quite old.

There came a point where a new big monitor was cheaper than a new tiny one, but there's political issues to consider. If you buy the new guy a cheap 22 inch, then everyone is suddenly going to need a new one as well. It can be cheaper to buy an expensive small one that won't cause jealousy.

tldr: gently caress office politics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So our entire network is down and we have no failover network connection to back up our point to point.

And we're a Software Development Consulting firm :smithicide:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It only takes once to get cryptolocker though... They're right in not allowing local admin.

You can get cryptolockered without local admin. But you should consider removing local admin rights as part of a comprehensive security policy. User education and common sense are going to be the most important unless you are in a totally locked down vdi environment.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

At my last job, most people had tiny crap monitors that were quite old.

There came a point where a new big monitor was cheaper than a new tiny one, but there's political issues to consider. If you buy the new guy a cheap 22 inch, then everyone is suddenly going to need a new one as well. It can be cheaper to buy an expensive small one that won't cause jealousy.

tldr: gently caress office politics.

I currently have 2 27" Dell U2713H's at work and it's kind of an intimidating amount of real estate. I dedicate one to work I'm actively doing, and the other is the dumping ground for background poo poo like email/hipchat/iMessage/Evernote etc. I should really dedicate some time to taking advantage of all that space.

#FWP

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to move to Florida ASAP. Does anyone know of anywhere with lots of opportunities right now or good recruiters? Preferably somewhere I won't be murdered in my sleep, most of Florida I've looked at seems to have crime rates that explain the Florida Man twitter.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Need? Why need? I grew up in Florida, and while it's a nice place to visit for a little while, I'm never going back permanently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I went to Florida once and it was so disgustingly hot and humid I could barely breathe. Sounds like a terrible place to live.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I did 16 years in Florida and I've sworn I will never go back. I love the lack of "region" or "area" - just "Florida."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Need? Why need? I grew up in Florida, and while it's a nice place to visit for a little while, I'm never going back permanently.

Aforementioned sadbrains health problems. She wants Florida because she's always wanted to live someplace tropical and she wants to make the best of leaving everything we've ever known. She actually feels better in humid heat as well. If we hate it we'll probably just move somewhere else within a couple years. I guess that's the benefit of the modern corporate climate, you want to jump around at least every couple years anyway.

E: It's bad enough we don't know if she will last the winter, so I'm willing to go about anywhere.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 13, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Aforementioned sadbrains health problems. She wants Florida because she's always wanted to live someplace tropical and she wants to make the best of leaving everything we've ever known. She actually feels better in humid heat as well. If we hate it we'll probably just move somewhere else within a couple years. I guess that's the benefit of the modern corporate climate, you want to jump around at least every couple years anyway.

E: It's bad enough we don't know if she will last the winter, so I'm willing to go about anywhere.

You should move to Oakland. That recruiter worked for my company and I moved for the job. If you'd like more information of be happy to provide via PM/IRC/Email or ask Lampey.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ha, that's a funny coincidence. I hope she's not pissed at me for forgetting to call her back. PM sent.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
the butt is great

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to move to Florida ASAP. Does anyone know of anywhere with lots of opportunities right now or good recruiters? Preferably somewhere I won't be murdered in my sleep, most of Florida I've looked at seems to have crime rates that explain the Florida Man twitter.

Where in florida? I'm in central florida and I know my company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the next 6 months. We're a healthcare IT provider.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Move to Houston. Good industry here and all the heat and humidity you want! Sure oil and gas is crashing but luckily we have enough diversity that it won't be as bad as it was in the 80s. Medical is growing like crazy right now.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Where in florida? I'm in central florida and I know my company is looking to hire upwards of 100 people in the next 6 months. We're a healthcare IT provider.

As someone currently getting snowed on in New York State, this post looks way more enticing than it should be.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lampey posted:

You can get cryptolockered without local admin. But you should consider removing local admin rights as part of a comprehensive security policy. User education and common sense are going to be the most important unless you are in a totally locked down vdi environment.

Our antivirus has done a really good job of taking care of it so far. Backups saved us the one time anything actually happened.
And user education/common sense have probably gone a long way, but the emails are getting more and more clever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

As someone currently getting snowed on in New York State, this post looks way more enticing than it should be.

http://ahs.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/search/115674

Knock yourself out! We currently have 32 open positions at our headquarters here in Altamonte Springs with a few openings at our various hospitals. There is currently talk of building another 6 story building on our campus for the growth we're expecting in the next year or so.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Got a quick question. Do you guys know how cloud service models like IaaS/PaaS handle OS licensing for equipment that is brought up and down on-demand?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sudo rm -rf posted:

Got a quick question. Do you guys know how cloud service models like IaaS/PaaS handle OS licensing for equipment that is brought up and down on-demand?

The cloud providers and the software companies have a licensing agreement that covers this.

I'm on my phone but try googling Microsoft hosting licensing and it might get you in the right direction

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mattfl posted:

I'm up for central. Are we talking Ocala, Gainesville area? Send me a PM or an email to EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com

I appreciate all the leads you guys have given me in less than 18 hours.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

sudo rm -rf posted:

For Microsoft, it's the SPLA program.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Docjowles posted:

I currently have 2 27" Dell U2713H's at work and it's kind of an intimidating amount of real estate. I dedicate one to work I'm actively doing, and the other is the dumping ground for background poo poo like email/hipchat/iMessage/Evernote etc. I should really dedicate some time to taking advantage of all that space.

#FWP

:stare: :stare: :stare:
It's kinda creepy how we both use the same toolset and window management.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So my girlfriend randomly tells me yesterday: "Hey some of my guildies from Guild Wars 2 got me using this other chat platform that isn't Skype and it's so much better!"

Oh yeah? What is it?

"It's called Slack."

So apparently she happens to play with some IT goons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What does that have to do with IT....

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

CLAM DOWN posted:

What does that have to do with IT....

Only IT people use slack, duh.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Kind of IT related, I had to reboot my rental car yesterday.

Rented a BMW to drive up to Seattle, at one point had to get up on the gas to pass someone and the car started misfiring, threw an error on the display and was running like complete poo poo. Limped to the venue, turned the car off, restarted it, problem gone. I literally had to turn it off and back on again to fix it. :crossarms:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Only IT people use slack, duh.

Haha I've never even heard of it. I'd say it'd be more IT if they were using Lync or something

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha I've never even heard of it. I'd say it'd be more IT if they were using Lync or something

You mean Skype For Business

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

You mean Skype For Business

triggered

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That would be more masochistic than just IT.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm up for central. Are we talking Ocala, Gainesville area? Send me a PM or an email to EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com

I appreciate all the leads you guys have given me in less than 18 hours.

Orlando area. Emailed!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone know of any software that you can install on a Mac that will let you set a list of domains and IPs that the computer cannot talk to?

Organization I work for issues everybody macbook air's since most of our employees are constantly traveling around the country. We have had an issue with a number of them trying to download files and getting caught by those "download THIS" advertisements that redirects them to a malicious download. I have an adblocker installed on every browser on every computer, but apparently this isn't enough, so... time to find something a little more robust.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FireSight posted:

Anyone know of any software that you can install on a Mac that will let you set a list of domains and IPs that the computer cannot talk to?

Organization I work for issues everybody macbook air's since most of our employees are constantly traveling around the country. We have had an issue with a number of them trying to download files and getting caught by those "download THIS" advertisements that redirects them to a malicious download. I have an adblocker installed on every browser on every computer, but apparently this isn't enough, so... time to find something a little more robust.
The hosts file?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

FireSight posted:

OpenDNS could be used to do this.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was hoping there was something we could install that would point to one of our servers to get updates, so we could update the list here and all the remote people would have their list update automatically.

I mean, the hosts file works, but it means I'm going to have to get access to each users computer individually and then update the hosts file... every time we make a change. With about 200 remote users and only 3 helpdesk people, that's not going to work well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Are you not running any kind of management product that could let you manage that hosts file centrally? Puppet, SCCM, DSC, anything...

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you not running any kind of management product that could let you manage that hosts file centrally? Puppet, SCCM, DSC, anything...

We run Casper, but the Senior Support Services guy, the dude who doesn't want anyone but himself to have admin access to most poo poo, hasn't figured out how to use it to deploy updates or... really anything but get info off of the machines.

I'll see if I can badger him into figuring out how to push an updated file. Since that won't cost us any more money, he will probably get off my back on this project (and, you know, never actually bother figuring it out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Answer: no, 27" monitors. 22" works out the same size as a 17" 4:3 chopped in half, you are losing screen real estate.

You can use http://www.tvcalculator.com to help match equivalent sizes up, a 19" 4:3 is about a 24" widescreen.

They're 15" :suicide:

In other news, I just found out we intentionally don't let users update to the latest version of java.