Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

Which doesn't confer over to units. Previously you could take a Cataphractii HQ, attach him to a squad of grav dudes, and then enjoy 24" range. poo poo sucks. I might change our league rules to allow it since it lets you do some interesting things.

Don't. It's a terrible rule and you should feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Toughness 7 move-and-shoot quad heavy bolters with a 2+/4++ character to tank hits wasn't intended? WHAAAAAT!?!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

Don't. It's a terrible rule and you should feel bad.

Safety Factor posted:

But that doesn't make any sense and obviously wasn't the rules writers' intent. I was wondering why the new wording for Cataphractii armor was so specific, but now I guess I know.

BULBASAUR, WAAC power gamer, model thrower, exploiter of mediocre rules

LordAba posted:

Gravs ain't that great in 30k anyways.

Its true on paper. In practice it's one of the few reliable ways to break AV15/AV14 walls of death, if you can get them in range. Infiltrating breachers with grav guns is a popular way of taking down spartans and such. I'm with you though- if they tweaked the drat things a bit people wouldn't be forced to exploit poo poo like S&P to make them useful. But they won't.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Painted a ton over the last couple of days while recovering from surgery. Among other things, I just about finished this Cataphractii sergeant:

I still need to add water effects and maybe decals eventually. Once my force is further along, I will probably add some more weathering and dings, too. But for now, the painting part is done.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I am jealous of your painting. It's very smooth and clean.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love the use of the Mk IV helmet instead of the default bare-head for that model. I may have to steal that idea for my World Eaters.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

I am jealous of your painting. It's very smooth and clean.

Fuckin this. I wish I was patient enough to get things looking so crisp.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So, I have a pretty big Raven Guard army for 40k. I'm curious, though about RG in 30k. Now that they have a Primarch model and tons of infantry model support, I'm thinking about starting a 30k army. Are the Raven Guard any good? What book are their rules in? Do I need to buy all of the HH books?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

So, I have a pretty big Raven Guard army for 40k. I'm curious, though about RG in 30k. Now that they have a Primarch model and tons of infantry model support, I'm thinking about starting a 30k army. Are the Raven Guard any good? What book are their rules in? Do I need to buy all of the HH books?

Their legion rules give their infantry (not including terminators) Infiltrate and Fleet while everything else (including terminators) gets Furious Charge. They can only take a limited number of tanks though. Their characters have access to master-crafted rending lightning claws, cameloline, and night vision goggles. Their unique rite gives everyone Preferred Enemy (Independent Characters), they can re-roll to see who goes first, and a bunch of their units can get drop pods. On the downside, using that rite limits the army to one heavy choice, one consul, and it can't take fortifications or allied marine detachments. I think that about covers it. I have no idea if their unique units are actually good.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Their unique units are great. Dark fury squads are cost effective for what you get, especially considering assault marines are overpriced normally- they're a very hard hitting jump pack unit. Mor Death squads are like elite recon marines and can have a nasty round of shooting. Raven Guard also get a special vehicle, the Darkwing Duckship, which is a storm eagle with lower transport capacity but is stealthy, which is really ideal for dropping said mor death squads on the flanks or on objectives.

General (Internet) consensus is that Raven Guard and Imperial Fists have the strongest legion rules at the moment.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Their unique units are great. Dark fury squads are cost effective for what you get, especially considering assault marines are overpriced normally- they're a very hard hitting jump pack unit. Mor Death squads are like elite recon marines and can have a nasty round of shooting. Raven Guard also get a special vehicle, the Darkwing Duckship, which is a storm eagle with lower transport capacity but is stealthy, which is really ideal for dropping said mor death squads on the flanks or on objectives.

General (Internet) consensus is that Raven Guard and Imperial Fists have the strongest legion rules at the moment.

I don't know if I'd call it consensus--Word Bearers are outstanding and a lot of people still think Iron Hands are top-tier. But Raven Guard are definitely up there. (That being said, I'm not really sure that the difference between the "best" Legion and the "worst" is really that significant these days.) Anyway, not really disagreeing, just commenting, especially since there are people out there who don't want to take the Very Best army and I wouldn't want the OP to avoid RG on that account.

Also, thanks for the compliments everybody! I should have some line troops finished up by the weekend.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tbh the only "bad" legions are the older (Book 1) legions which are not bad, the later legions are just a bit stronger. You can still make an absolutely bitching DG list for example. Emperor's Children are a bit of a red-headed stepchild at the moment, but all signs are pointing to a significant rebalance with the new Rites of War in the next book (Relentless Kakophonii as troops? Yes please).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have to say that the more I play the more I appreciate the unpopular legion rules. On paper some of them look really mediocre, especially if you are used to 40k, but in a 30k meta they can do some really nasty poo poo. EC, for example, I have a lot of respect for.

There are definitely outliers though- Word Bearers, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, AdMech, Raven Guard, Alpha Legion, and Iron Hands. Everyone else is kinda middle of the pack except for the legions from the first book. Power creep and all that.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I think in general it's just FW getting progressively more comfortable with more interesting or unique rules. And often there's a catch, like IF and AL having great legion rules but units that range from meh to outright bleargh.*

* Purely from a power perspective. Headhunters and Wardens have bitchin models

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

I think in general it's just FW getting progressively more comfortable with more interesting or unique rules. And often there's a catch, like IF and AL having great legion rules but units that range from meh to outright bleargh.*

* Purely from a power perspective. Headhunters and Wardens have bitchin models

What are the stronger and outlying-est AL rules, then?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Emperor's Children are really cool it's probably the Legion I'll do (hahaha)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Off hand, Power Daggers are a cheap way of giving models an extra attack depending on their other weapon(s) and Coils is very restrictive but allows for a pretty shocking army. Typically they don't do any one thing amazingly, they just have a lot of neat ways to use everything else. But Lernaean Terminators are kinda bizarre and hard to use and Headhunters don't distinguish themselves from the generic unit they are based on.

Raven Guard are sorta the same in that unlocking their RoW is a gigantic power boost, but on top of that they have sweet units and Mor Deytan in particular can zap stuff out of existence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mango Polo posted:

Off hand, Power Daggers are a cheap way of giving models an extra attack depending on their other weapon(s) and Coils is very restrictive but allows for a pretty shocking army. Typically they don't do any one thing amazingly, they just have a lot of neat ways to use everything else. But Lernaean Terminators are kinda bizarre and hard to use and Headhunters don't distinguish themselves from the generic unit they are based on.

The signature weird thing about the Alphas is a perk of Coils: they can steal a unique unit from another Legion, substituting the Alphas' rules in place of its home legion's rules. Not only does this mean the Alphas have access to a wide variety of powerful units (just one for the list, mind) that can fill in any holes the list is otherwise lacking, the Alphas' rules can potentially make said units much stronger than they are in their home legion. Tyrant Siege Terminators gaining Tank Hunters, for example.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Stealing other legions units and making them better is also a good one:

Infiltrating Pyroclasts
Outflanking Invictarus Suzerains
Seige Tyrants with free Tank Hunter

Not to mention you can also give sergeants in these units extra attacks in close combat thanks to the power knives

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Recoome posted:

Emperor's Children are really cool it's probably the Legion I'll do (hahaha)

The EC specific units aren't great, but then again EC has Eidolan.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
EC are on my shortlist because of how useless Eidolon is in the fluff. I love loser armies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

EC are on my shortlist because of how useless Eidolon is in the fluff. I love loser armies.

Same

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I just dropped mad :10bux: for my EC stuff. I'll be putting together models and busting out the purple and pink paints in just a couple weeks.

Can't wait.

I'll be damned if I can't find Phoenix Spears for my sergeants though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

koreban posted:

I just dropped mad :10bux: for my EC stuff. I'll be putting together models and busting out the purple and pink paints in just a couple weeks.

Can't wait.

Eldar direavenger exarch has a power armor scale spear. Good luck finding it at a decent price?

I haven't found any 3rd party ones yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LordAba posted:

Eldar direavenger exarch has a power armor scale spear. Good luck finding it at a decent price?

Scavenge fantasy bits boxes?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

EC rule because you can field Rylanor the Unyielding.

I subscribe to the Hollywood rule of deaths; you don't see him die, so he doesn't die at Istvaan III. :colbert:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EC are cool because drugs and music is really cool

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

LordAba posted:

Check kromlech.eu. They have a bunch of bits and random melee weapons and such.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've found both Dark Elf and Blood Angels stuff to be a great source for EC bits.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Recoome posted:

EC are cool because drugs and music is really cool

That too.

I was going to paint World Eaters, but then I tripped and ended up with all this purple and gold WHOOPS

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Which books are their rules in?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Which books are their rules in?

Raven Guard are in III, but the main legion list is in I. You're probably better off waiting for the updated red books to come out.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also, from a purely pragmatic perspective, I can mix/match more current SM mans with the HH era EC because they have the Aquila on the front. The decal sheet for the EC actually looks good too.

I don't read any of the HH poo poo because I am not a gigantic turbosperg but I am interested about the "Eye of the Serpent" logo for the EC. This is shown in Book 1, as well as on their decal sheet. Would this be a fairly common motif among the EC (I'm doing Traitors) or would it be extremely limited. I think it's a cool motif but I don't know much about the warrior lodges etc.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also imagine if the Red Scorpions were actually descendant from Emperor's Children, and then like suddenly they couldn't repress their ~inner desires~ any longer and they formed the maddest rock band since David "Fulgrim" Bowie (pbuh) and called themselves the Sex Scorpions and played tasty riffs everywhere.

That's a dark future I could get behind.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

koreban posted:

Can't wait.

Grey Knights nemesis halberds.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I have a whole bunch of those actually

glad a finally decided on a legion

Endman
May 18, 2010

Would it be possible to make an army out of a mishmash of loyalist leftovers from the Istvaan III atrocity commanded by, for example, Garro?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Endman posted:

Would it be possible to make an army out of a mishmash of loyalist leftovers from the Istvaan III atrocity commanded by, for example, Garro?

Yeah, if you want to be a square

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
The shattered legions (COMING SOON) probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Recoome posted:

Also imagine if the Red Scorpions were actually descendant from Emperor's Children, and then like suddenly they couldn't repress their ~inner desires~ any longer and they formed the maddest rock band since David "Fulgrim" Bowie (pbuh) and called themselves the Sex Scorpions and played tasty riffs everywhere.

That's a dark future I could get behind.

The inquisition will show up and tell them to turn down the music, leading to another Baddab War

Endman posted:

The next book is supposed to have rules for exactly that- 'shattered legions' in 30k sperg. You can take squads from different legions which depending on how they implement things could be really broken