Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I'm really worried that if they try for another movie they'll drop the ball and it'll be :mediocre:. I'd rather just leave Fury Road as is, in all its shiny and chrome glory. I think it's a lightning-in-a-bottle film, especially considering how long it took to make it, and trying to repeat that probably won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seems like an awfully big scoop for a site I've never heard of before right now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

drunkill posted:

Perhaps filming in Australia if the deserts allowed it would be easier for him, closer to home.

When I heard that they shifted filming to Namibia because the area around Broken Hill bloomed, I thought "why not just go to, like... any of Australia's many other deserts?"

But if you fire up Google Earth and zoom in and start randomly clicking on those little blue Panoramio photos anywhere in the Outback, you realise there's virtually nowhere that's actually proper desolate wasteland - almost everywhere has some vegetation, even if it's just scrub. Doesn't quite have that irradiated apocalyptic feel that Namibia does.

But I'm still annoyed that Hardy gave up on his Australian accent twenty minutes into the movie.

edit - actually there was plenty of proper desert in Thunderdome which was filmed in South Australia, so what do I know

freebooter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 12, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

freebooter posted:

When I heard that they shifted filming to Namibia because the area around Broken Hill bloomed, I thought "why not just go to, like... any of Australia's many other deserts?"

But if you fire up Google Earth and zoom in and start randomly clicking on those little blue Panoramio photos anywhere in the Outback, you realise there's virtually nowhere that's actually proper desolate wasteland - almost everywhere has some vegetation, even if it's just scrub. Doesn't quite have that irradiated apocalyptic feel that Namibia does.

But I'm still annoyed that Hardy gave up on his Australian accent twenty minutes into the movie.

edit - actually there was plenty of proper desert in Thunderdome which was filmed in South Australia, so what do I know

Thunderdome was probably filmed in a season with little to no vegetation. They started filming in Broken Hill (the very beginning and end of the film, around Immortan Joe's Citadel and the Interceptor being ambushed in the first scene, were filmed there) but it suddenly started blooming and they had to move to get the movie done on time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

moths posted:

Seems like an awfully big scoop for a site I've never heard of before right now.

Indiewire is reputable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Yeah, I'm really worried that if they try for another movie they'll drop the ball and it'll be :mediocre:. I'd rather just leave Fury Road as is, in all its shiny and chrome glory. I think it's a lightning-in-a-bottle film, especially considering how long it took to make it, and trying to repeat that probably won't work.

He's also 70 - 71 in a couple of months - and I'd imagine the thought of shooting more films like Fury Road at that age is probably a fairly daunting and unappealing task. If we need more Mad Max media, I think it's better off in a format that is more doable for him, like an animated film.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

freebooter posted:

By accent you mean silence and grunts?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Guess what fuckers, we're getting a mad max trilogy with world building side movies and there's not a god damned thing any single one of us can do about it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Guess what fuckers, we're getting a mad max trilogy with world building side movies and there's not a god damned thing any single one of us can do about it

I wouldn't go that far but we'll almost certainly see a mediocre sequel where the studio will completely miss the point by offering Hardy like 30 million to play Max again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Honestly wouldn't mind if a protégé of Miller did something different with a sequel.

You can do countless stories with a premise like "the apocalypse's Paul Bunyan". And make it as different from Fury Road as Fury Road was from Road Warrior. "There's a guy named Max, he was a cop, now he travels the wasteland just surviving."

From there you can insert whatever weird characters and situations you want. Just don't redo anything we've seen. No war boys, no Immortan, no Humungus.

Just like James Bond. Keep the core elements of the story, and do your own thing from there.

Of course this will never happen because the studio will want to just remake Fury Road with nothing changed and it will suck.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

drunkill posted:

:(

Welp, George is over it. Too tiring to make the movies, although he's happy for someone else to take over. It is a shame. Hopefully he changes his mind again after he makes his next movie. Perhaps filming in Australia if the deserts allowed it would be easier for him, closer to home.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-i-wont-make-more-mad-max-movies-20160112

If you read the actual source material Miller just said he didn't want to make a huge complicated 25 year Fury Road 2.0 anymore, he just wants to make smaller films in general.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Honestly wouldn't mind if a protégé of Miller did something different with a sequel.

You can do countless stories with a premise like "the apocalypse's Paul Bunyan". And make it as different from Fury Road as Fury Road was from Road Warrior. "There's a guy named Max, he was a cop, now he travels the wasteland just surviving."

From there you can insert whatever weird characters and situations you want. Just don't redo anything we've seen. No war boys, no Immortan, no Humungus.

Just like James Bond. Keep the core elements of the story, and do your own thing from there.

Of course this will never happen because the studio will want to just remake Fury Road with nothing changed and it will suck.

Came in here to post this. You took the words out of my mouth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

By accent you mean silence and grunts?

His entire opening monologue is delivered in a passable Australian accent.

More puzzling to me is Theron bothering to put on an American accent - her native South African would have made slightly more sense and presumably have been easier. Or has she been in Hollywood so long that American is basically just her accent now?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

freebooter posted:

His entire opening monologue is delivered in a passable Australian accent.

More puzzling to me is Theron bothering to put on an American accent - her native South African would have made slightly more sense and presumably have been easier. Or has she been in Hollywood so long that American is basically just her accent now?

English isn't actually her first language, and I've heard she barely even spoke it before going into films.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly, Hardy's a passable Australian for the majority of it. Australian accents today are a little more laissez-faire than they used to be, to the point where I've heard them described as "lazy American". Not exactly a Crocodile Dundee thing.

Furiosa is the only one who stands out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hardy never says enough words at one time to really notice what accent he is or isn't doing. I didn't have a problem with it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

freebooter posted:

As a Swede who has lived in the US long enough to have a perfectly native accent it's actually impossible for me to do a Swedish-English accent. The two languages are separate in my brain and I can't mix them - it takes me a second or two to switch which language I speak/understand/think. I've never heard Charlize speak with an SA accent but there are videos of her speaking Afrikaans, so maybe she's similar.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

As a Swede who has lived in the US long enough to have a perfectly native accent it's actually impossible for me to do a Swedish-English accent. The two languages are separate in my brain and I can't mix them - it takes me a second or two to switch which language I speak/understand/think. I've never heard Charlize speak with an SA accent but there are videos of her speaking Afrikaans, so maybe she's similar.

Yea this makes a lot of sense actually. If she didn't really learn fluent English until she was already an actress, then she would have been trying to form an American accent right from the beginning. So she never had a time in her life where she spoke English with a SA accent. So it would be impossible for her to just do that accent on command unless she has specifically prepared and learned it.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Accents are weird. I once heard a dude who spoke German with a Jamaican accent because his German teacher was Jamaican.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My spouse used to speak Spanish well enough that he would get assigned by his work to head up projects down in Mexico. The locals informed him that he spoke Spanish very well but had a "surfer dude" accent. So yeah, accents are weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Corek posted:

Accents are weird. I once heard a dude who spoke German with a Jamaican accent because his German teacher was Jamaican.

It's also seemingly common for Europeans who learn English fluently to speak it with a Received Pronunciation accent, depending on who they learn from.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

drunkill posted:

:(

Welp, George is over it. Too tiring to make the movies, although he's happy for someone else to take over. It is a shame. Hopefully he changes his mind again after he makes his next movie. Perhaps filming in Australia if the deserts allowed it would be easier for him, closer to home.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-i-wont-make-more-mad-max-movies-20160112

I am only glad that he made the ones he did. Maybe he can do something new that is just as great.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly, Hardy's a passable Australian for the majority of it. Australian accents today are a little more laissez-faire than they used to be, to the point where I've heard them described as "lazy American". Not exactly a Crocodile Dundee thing.

Furiosa is the only one who stands out.

Nicholas Hoult doesn't bother changing his English accent though. Or if he did I can't tell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

david_a posted:

As a french-canadian, I also am completely unable to do whatever Psychedelic Eyeball does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKNzuksOEI

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cacator posted:

Nicholas Hoult doesn't bother changing his English accent though. Or if he did I can't tell.

No, he's definitely still British. His was the only accent I really found 'jarring', to be honest. (Apart from Ace's....'WOI CARN'T WE STUHP?!?')

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

No, he's definitely still British. His was the only accent I really found 'jarring', to be honest. (Apart from Ace's....'WOI CARN'T WE STUHP?!?')

But isn't Jon Iles (Ace) Australian?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snak posted:

But isn't Jon Iles (Ace) Australian?

Unless Yorkshire became part of Australia at some point, no.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Unless Yorkshire became part of Australia at some point, no.

Oh. His only piece of IMDB trivia is that he was in the Australian Navy, so I (incorrectly) assumed that he was Australian.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, he's close enough. It's not like Pacific Rim where the accents were distractingly wrong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Thunderdome was probably filmed in a season with little to no vegetation. They started filming in Broken Hill (the very beginning and end of the film, around Immortan Joe's Citadel and the Interceptor being ambushed in the first scene, were filmed there) but it suddenly started blooming and they had to move to get the movie done on time.

Given his difficulties with filming in arid locations, I wonder why Miller never consider filming in the American Southwest as a stand-in for Australia. Nevada, Utah, and California have areas that rarely touched by moisture.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Young Freud posted:

Given his difficulties with filming in arid locations, I wonder why Miller never consider filming in the American Southwest as a stand-in for Australia. Nevada, Utah, and California have areas that rarely touched by moisture.

It might just be too distinctive at this point. Even deserts look a lot different from one another.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

It might just be too distinctive at this point. Even deserts look a lot different from one another.

You certainly couldn't use Monument Valley for anything other than an American Western, its too recognizable.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

You certainly couldn't use Monument Valley for anything other than an American Western, its too recognizable.

There's an enormous amount of desert in New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, and California that has never seen a film crew.

I know. I've flown over the completely bullshit 2/3rds of America several times. Between Dallas and Los Angeles you'll think the apocalypse happened during your flight.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
The accents of the wives were all over the map (ha ha) too. Angharad sounds British, the Dag sounds Aussie, and the others were American or I couldn't tell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not everyone in Australia is Australian you racists.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I feel like people need to state if they are from Australia before they complain about the accents :cheeky:

I don't really know anything about Australian but I have a feeling there are quite a few dialects given how spread out the country is. The Warrior Woman from Road Warrior sounds very British, for example.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

david_a posted:

I feel like people need to state if they are from Australia before they complain about the accents :cheeky:

I don't really know anything about Australian but I have a feeling there are quite a few dialects given how spread out the country is. The Warrior Woman from Road Warrior sounds very British, for example.
Less than you'd think, since European settlement is ~225 years old and for much of that time there were things like radio and television which helped to smooth out regional variation.

The trap/bath split is the main form of regional variation, with some additional differences coming from vocab (as Auspol D&D what a sausage in a piece of bread is called, or don't). The more obvious differences to foreigners are roughly class-based ones, with Steve Irwin's strine at one and, and Geoffrey Rush's quasi-RP British at the other (that link is great except it really mischaracterises Gillard's voice).

Strine, incidentally, is how you pronounce "Australian" in Strine.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

There's an enormous amount of desert in New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, and California that has never seen a film crew.

I know. I've flown over the completely bullshit 2/3rds of America several times. Between Dallas and Los Angeles you'll think the apocalypse happened during your flight.

I flew between Oklahoma City and LA last week and can confirm this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Back when I started driving, there were parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex that look like they were used in the first Mad Max. I remember when my friend was living in Sante Fe around the time they landed the Pathfinder on Mars, she remarked that it looked like NASA had landed the rover a couple blocks from where she worked.

Also, a salt flat is a salt flat, regardless if it's in Australia or in Utah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Less than you'd think, since European settlement is ~225 years old and for much of that time there were things like radio and television which helped to smooth out regional variation.

The trap/bath split is the main form of regional variation, with some additional differences coming from vocab (as Auspol D&D what a sausage in a piece of bread is called, or don't). The more obvious differences to foreigners are roughly class-based ones, with Steve Irwin's strine at one and, and Geoffrey Rush's quasi-RP British at the other (that link is great except it really mischaracterises Gillard's voice).

Strine, incidentally, is how you pronounce "Australian" in Strine.

Yeah, accents in Australia are these days really mostly a product of class and age. Your classic Strine accent is much more common in older and working class people and those who live further out from the capital cities, while younger and more middle class people from the city tend to have a much weaker and steadily more Americanised accent. Regional variations tend to be more related to word choice (peanut butter vs peanut paste, swimmers vs togs vs bathers, potato scallops vs whatever the gently caress you weirdos call them, etc) than any kind of noticeable accent.

When I come Back Home to visit my parents in cattle country Shitsville population 300, Central/South-East Queensland, the change in accents of people around me is very striking to when I'm at uni in Brisbane.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread