Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Schmi Anakin scenes in TPM are heartbreaking on rewatch. Possibly influenced by me now having kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

Not really. It simply wouldn't have fit the tone of the movie for Anakin's mother to die in Episode I. It would be too soon. You have to let things stew for a while. You can't freeze Han Solo in carbonite in the first movie.

This is actually a good point of comparison, because what we see in Episode 1 really is a straightforward reversal of Han being captured and frozen.

Han going missing was the sticking-point that very deliberately undermined Luke's 'victory' in refusing Vader - but, when Shmii is kept captured on Tatooine, the only person who really cares is this eight-year-old kid. And he is, subsequently, pressured into forgetting about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If an event takes place in a film that you initially think does not make sense, your first instinct should not be to conclude that the movie is wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Star Wars Anthology: The Secret Protocols of the Most Learned Elders of Watto

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

After mulling about it for the last 10 years, I think Anakin fell to the darkside because his mom died.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I figure Anakin wanted to go back and get his mom, but the Jedi didn't want to get him personally involved with it and he at least figured she was doing okay because she had C3P0 to take care of her and Watto didn't treat her that badly while Anakin was there. Whereas with Padme, bureaucratic red tape and the ethical questions of a Queen/Senator buying a slave, even to free that slave, would've posed problems even if she wanted to do that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beeez posted:

I figure Anakin wanted to go back and get his mom, but the Jedi didn't want to get him personally involved with it and he at least figured she was doing okay because she had C3P0 to take care of her and Watto didn't treat her that badly while Anakin was there. Whereas with Padme, bureaucratic red tape and the ethical questions of a Queen/Senator buying a slave, even to free that slave, would've posed problems even if she wanted to do that.

I thought it was stated that Anakin & Padme didn't see each other that much between Ep 1 and 2 anyway. She remembered him obviously but not enough to want to go free his mom on a whim.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

I thought it was stated that Anakin & Padme didn't see each other that much between Ep 1 and 2 anyway. She remembered him obviously but not enough to want to go free his mom on a whim.

I don't know if they ever saw each other between the time he was nine and nineteen.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yaws posted:

After mulling about it for the last 10 years, I think Anakin fell to the darkside because his mom died.

This, but unironically. He had premonitions about her death for long before it happened, Jedi just shrug it off, and then it actually happened and she dies in his arms. When he starts having similar premonitions about his mom replacement Padme, he is desperate to make sure he isn't too late/too weak to stop it.

And it's telling that when the Jedi are concerned about the very powerful Anakin Skywalker being too old and being too worried about his mother, their solution is to double down on dogma and nagging about his feelings, rather than, say, freeing her and putting her up in a small condo on Alderaan where he wouldn't be consumed with worry about her.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Well that's unfortunate; it took a lot less time to note that you got it wrong.

Anakin's mom died because he 'fell to the dark side'. And then he resigned himself to it, doubling down on it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well that's unfortunate; it took a lot less time to note that you got it wrong.
You pig.

quote:

Anakin's mom died because he 'fell to the dark side'. And then he resigned himself to it, doubling down on it.

Anakin was a good person with a pure heart/soul. Then his mother was killed by the Tusken Raiders. He immediately takes revenge against them. Killing every man woman and child he sees. Directly foreshadowing and mirroring what he did to the Jedi. He's Vader at that point in all but name. It's over for him. He is finished.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
When asking ourselves why Padmé doesn't free Shmi, we should first ask why, say, Carlos Slim wouldn't take a million dollars, an infinitesimal part of his fortune, and give it to someone so they could dump it into a mid-yield investment of 2% APR and have $20,000 a year for life. The slavery is, as SMG notes, an example of Anakin coming from poverty and a shithole. In the real world, there are a lot of things that could be done to alleviate things for one person or a hell of a lot of people with minimal inconvenience on our part, but most people will never do them. They will potentially donate to charity, but that's about it. This is realistic and most people will not think poorly of you because you don't spend $5,000 a year on supporting families in Cambodia. But, of course, we see Shmi differently than those anonymous people, don't we?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Well she did give birth to Darth Vader with no dad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yaws posted:

You pig.

Anakin was a good person with a pure heart/soul. Then his mother was killed by the Tusken Raiders. He immediately takes revenge against them. Killing every man woman and child he sees. Directly foreshadowing and mirroring what he did to the Jedi. He's Vader at that point in all but name. It's over for him. He is finished.

Good people don't slaughter civilians regardless of how their mom dies, that's not a natural expression of grief.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 13, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Jedi (in particular Yoda) were correct about Anakin. Yoda warns the padawan about getting too attached to peeps. That doing so will lead to his downfall/the dark side. But Anakin fears losing Padme like he lost Shimi. He has trouble letting go of things and it ruins him :(

Thank gently caress his boy isn't as much of a sadsack. He sees through the lies of the Emperor and essentially tells him to pound sand. Luke succeeded where his old man had failed. Everyone read the prophecy wrong. Luke is the Chosen One.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

In general, the concept of the Force is really poorly understood. Like, I don't think anyone has noticed just how bizarre this scene is:

On a literal plot level this makes absolutely no sense. How the gently caress did the yeti monster attach Luke to the ceiling? And then Luke starts lifting things with his mind?

If you've never seen Star Wars before, or have only seen A New Hope, the idea of telekinesis comes completely out of nowhere. The only previous example is Vader choking that guy, which is not the same as lifting a rock or whatever. The choking is presented as a variation on the Jedi mind-trick: Obiwan uses showmanship to con the Stormtroopers, and Vader inspires such terror with a wave of his hand that people have trouble breathing. The logic of how the Force works in A New Hope that is totally different from that of Empire.

So anyways: Luke is upside down, and he somehow pulls the sword into his hand. How do we make sense of this?

The answer is by flipping the scene, so that the laser sword simply falls into Luke's hand. This entire sequence demands to understood as metaphorical. Luke is frozen in place by fear, and his disorientation has made things topsy-turvy. After all, Luke had just been bashed in the head and left in the cold for a few hours. Later, he'll go on a vision quest and start predicting the future. Reality is getting malleable.

Luke: It's like... something out of a dream, or, I don't know. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

And Luke ends up upside-down a lot in this movie:

Why else would Yoda tell him to keep doing handstands for hours, if not to change Luke's perspective so that the ground vanishes? From this point of view, the crates are pulled up by gravity, falling up toward the sky - and this is what gives them the appearance of floating. And isn't the scene underneath Cloud City a clear example of this topsy-turvy imagery, with Luke literally 'falling up', towards the clouds?

What you get at the end of Episode 5 is a reversal of the classic alien abduction image, of being 'beamed up' into the round porthole. Luke is escaping from the world.

As if we needed more proof that the act of distributing prequel hate memes has supplanted the act of watching the films. Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

His world gets turned upside down by what Vader tells him. This is what Yoda is preparing him for.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

The Jedi (in particular Yoda) were correct about Anakin. Yoda warns the padawan about getting too attached to peeps. That doing so will lead to his downfall/the dark side. But Anakin fears losing Padme like he lost Shimi. He has trouble letting go of things and it ruins him :(

Thank gently caress his boy isn't as much of a sadsack. He sees through the lies of the Emperor and essentially tells him to pound sand. Luke succeeded where his old man had failed. Everyone read the prophecy wrong. Luke is the Chosen One.

This is pretty morally repugnant. You should avoid taking action to save people's lives? That ain't Buddhist!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

The Jedi were right that a 9 year old boy was too old to train. Instead, a 19 year old boy should have been trained.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hollismason posted:

His world gets turned upside down by what Vader tells him. This is what Yoda is preparing him for.

You forgot to say "Wakka wakka!"

Finally got around to seeing this mess. It's basically a vague impression Star Wars cut and directed like a skate video.

I'm still not sure what the First Order were about :

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

The Jedi were right that a 9 year old boy was too old to train. Instead, a 19 year old boy should have been trained.

Luke did show much more emotional maturity than his baby back bitch dad. Luke chose the right creepy old man to follow (Obi-Wan) Anakin chose the wrong one (Palps)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

From the very beginning, Anakin has his good intentions turned against him. The first example is the pod-race, where he is tricked into abandoning his mother to serve the Jedi. Then, under the impression that he's helping the Jedi, Anakin kills thousands of droids and Nemoidians ("now this is pod-racing!") - and he's rewarded for it.

This is what Kylo Ren refers to as 'being seduced by the light', in Force Awakens' one interesting point. 'Light' here refers to the false belief in one's goodness - being clouded by the dark side, as opposed to seeing the dark side clearly.

Killing the sandpeople is an extension of killing the Nemoidians, and leads directly to the killing of both the Geonisians and - ultimately - the Jedi.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yaws posted:

Luke did show much more emotional maturity than his baby back bitch dad. Luke chose the right creepy old man to follow (Obi-Wan) Anakin chose the wrong one (Palps)

Obi-Wan is shown to be wrong and liar throughout the films?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

I think the Jedi could've trained a nine year old if they weren't so repressive, dogmatic, and frightened of the Dark Side. Clearly the indoctrination worked pretty well for the most part considering only twenty Jedi had left the order prior to the Clone Wars, but in the end their conception of fighting the Dark Side by cutting off and repressing the emotions that can lead to it contributed significantly to their downfall.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

Yoda all but said "This guy's a loving Skywalker, remember what happened last time?" to Obi-Wan in ESB.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did the Galactic Empire and their goals confuse this many people in 1977 as the First Order did in 2015?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

AndyElusive posted:

Did the Galactic Empire and their goals confuse this many people in 1977 as the First Order did in 2015?

The empire actually stood for something. They weren't a cartoon gag.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

From the very beginning, Anakin has his good intentions turned against him. The first example is the pod-race, where he is tricked into abandoning his mother to serve the Jedi. Then, under the impression that he's helping the Jedi, Anakin kills thousands of droids and Nemoidians ("now this is pod-racing!") - and he's rewarded for it
I don't think he's twicked. He seems legit excited to go with Qui-Gon for a better life. He's happy. As for "killing" the droids? You can't kill something that has no life. The battle droids serve no real purpose except to commit evil in the name of Libertarianism and Corporatism. I would happily destroy every drat droid in the galaxy if it meant peace.

quote:

This is what Kylo Ren refers to as 'being seduced by the light', in Force Awakens' one interesting point. 'Light' here refers to the false belief in one's goodness - being clouded by the dark side, as opposed to seeing the dark side clearly.
You are a cynical person and it's clouding your judgment.

Frackie Robinson posted:

What is the Jedi view on masturbation?

It's alluded to that midichlorians create life so there's probably midichlorians in semen. They probably view it as murder.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 13, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Jedi were absolutely, demonstrably unprepared to handle raising a nine-year-old. It's not that training nine-year-olds in the Force is impossible, it's that you can't do it the way the Jedi did.

It's funny; when I was Anakin's age in AOTC, I did think he was being needlessly temperamental, like, why did he have to make things so difficult for Obi-Wan? Now that I'm Obi-Wan's age in AOTC though, I feel like Obi-Wan's the one that was bizarrely cuntish and made everything so much worse than it needed to be.

This is, like, the second conversation they have:

Padme: "Could you guys please catch this murderer who's literally trying to murder me"
Obi-Wan: "Listen: no. We're just here to be meat shields."
Anakin: "Don't worry Padme, we'll do whatever it takes to stop this guy who's literally planting bombs at you."
Obi-Wan: "???? WHO THE gently caress???? DO YOU THINK YOU ARE???? SIT DOWN."

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 13, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Well, they do view the "sword" as their life.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Yaws posted:

As for "killing" the droids? You can't kill something that has no life.

They're clearly presented as having personalities. Cartoonish personalities, sure, but they're not shown to be mindless automatons. They say things like "uh-oh" when they know they're about to die.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yaws posted:

I don't think he's twicked. He seems legit excited to go with Qui-Gon for a better life. He's happy. As for "killing" the droids? You can't kill something that has no life. The battle droids serve no real purpose except to commit evil in the name of Libertarianism and Corporatism. I would happily destroy every drat droid in the galaxy if it meant peace.

Bah God, I think that's :godwin:'s music

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

wyoming posted:

The empire actually stood for something. They weren't a cartoon gag.

The First Order is just an extension of the Empire. Boring but there it is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shmi actually was freed, so one could imagine if Anakin ever asked about it he was told to let go of his past concerns and attachments, and that his mom was fine, while the council may very well have done some basic fact finding and seen she was already free and living in comfort so there was no reason to intervene. They wouldn't mention this directly to Ani because Ani is supposed to let that poo poo go. Why did Padme not do anything about it? She simply didn't think about Anakin that much in the next nine years.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I am a Droid. Hath
not a Droid eyes? hath not a Droid hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, healed by the same means,
warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as
a alien is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not
revenge?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ungulateman posted:

and if you wrong us, shall we not
strike back?

Fixed that for you.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

They're clearly presented as having personalities. Cartoonish personalities, sure, but they're not shown to be mindless automatons. They say things like "uh-oh" when they know they're about to die.

The only ones who do that are the B1 Battle droids. The rest are killing machines. Their master is corporate whores like the Techno Union and the Trade Federation. They stand in direct opposition to the Republic and Jedi ideals of liberal democracy and multiculturalism. On the surface, the Clone War is an ideological one, and the droid army are the corporate enforcers.

Of course all this is lost because the whole thing is orchestrated and maintained by a creepy old bureaucrat but it could have been interesting.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 13, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ungulateman posted:

I am a Droid. Hath
not a Droid eyes? hath not a Droid hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, healed by the same means,
warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as
a alien is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not
revenge?

Not necessarily, not necessarily, no, yes, yes, not necessarily, not necessarily, no, yes to an extent, no, no, to an extent, yes, no absolutely not, only in some cases, not with any conventional poison I know of, often yes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, Across the Stars is probably the best soundtrack piece of the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The First Order is just an extension of the Empire. Boring but there it is.

That would've made sense. But instead we have a Master Race Nazi following a Beksiński monolith along with Anime Vader, all living together on a communist super planet.
It's just meaningless imagery of "bad". The Empire at least had a core concept.
e.g. Tarkin didn't worship Palpatine.

Yaws posted:

The only ones who do that are the B1 Battle droids.

All droids show personality, racist.
Especially odd objection since the Battle droids were the ones in question.

• Locked thread