Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Actually I'm less interested in playing the best class and more interested in if it's worth my time. My biggest issue right now is picking targets because the only identifier is weapon selection due to adaptive armor.

do you mean picking targets in combat?

The icon over someone's head shows their class.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/class-icons-for-1-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Apparently if you're subbed on February 1 you get a free "HK-inspired" jetpack. This is good news for many, so it will naturally infuriate current jetpack-havers.

Still. Jetpack!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Plus learn what healers and tanks look like. Juggernauts, Assassins and Powertechs all have stances which appear as buffs so you know that they are a tank. Same for Mercenaries and determining if they are DPS or heals. Operatives are a bit tricky - if you click them pre-fight and they have 3 tactical advantage stacks they are a healer. Usually someone competent will mark healers so your pubbie group knows to attack anyone but them. :downs:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dalris Othaine posted:

Apparently if you're subbed on February 1 you get a free "HK-inspired" jetpack. This is good news for many, so it will naturally infuriate current jetpack-havers.

Still. Jetpack!

Glad I never got around to spending the money on one of those from the GTN!

Free jetpack, whoo, game is good again

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Endgame content? What the gently caress is that? YOU GET A FREE loving JETPACK YALL

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've just started getting into this. I'm enjoying the single player story stuff. What's the deal with subbing? I get that a lot of stuff is restricted to subscription players, but what happens if you sub and then lapse? For a bit of context, I've played quite a bit of the Lord of the Rings MMO. In that game there is a whole slew of things that unlock if you sub, even if only for a month, so it's generally very worth while to do that. Is that the case here? Is it worth subbing early on or is it the sort of thing where you're better off waiting until further down the road?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've just started getting into this. I'm enjoying the single player story stuff. What's the deal with subbing? I get that a lot of stuff is restricted to subscription players, but what happens if you sub and then lapse? For a bit of context, I've played quite a bit of the Lord of the Rings MMO. In that game there is a whole slew of things that unlock if you sub, even if only for a month, so it's generally very worth while to do that. Is that the case here? Is it worth subbing early on or is it the sort of thing where you're better off waiting until further down the road?

Sub early You get all the expansions and stuff that has come out since launch up until your sub runs out. You also get quality of life stuff unlocked by being a preferred memeber(someone who has spent more than 5 dollars on the game)

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi

Medullah posted:

Good point. I haven't thought about augmenting being different in PvP, but since every single mod comes with it I would suspect the same logic as PvE stands - augment with tertiary stat instead of power. So people that are buying from you are just silly. :)

Of course, I've seen DPS and healers augmented with Fortitude augments in PvP so I may just be crazy. Paging DrunkenGarbageCan...

I haven't done as much research and testing as I should have considering how much PvP I do but I believe it comes down to specific classes having abilities and set bonus attributes concerning things like free crits or specs that output more white damage than yellow and things of that nature. In those instances, it may be more beneficial to boost power where your crit starts hitting DR. I have actually been meaning to try testing power augs on my arsenal merc because of this but have been caught up working on 208'ing all my alts before I start really min/maxing. I absolutely abhor dummy parsing.

signalnoise posted:

Speaking of PvP is there a set of "good in pvp" disciplines or "avoid playing in pvp" disciplines or is it generally balanced and just depending on playing the character right? I see this pop up a lot in general chat and of course pubbie info is conflicting and worthless.

Here's my purely anecdotal take on the classes I play in PVP (all of which at least 204'd, many 208+aug'd)

DPS:
-Arsenal Merc: My favorite toon. Absolutely melts healthbars and has insane burst/single target damage. The drawback is that you are crazy fragile and require heals and peels. On a good team where you're healed, people are pulling melee dudes off you AND you're playing defensively/evasively, you'll pull 2m+ damage at the end of a wz easily. If you find yourself in a 1v1, it's probably best to be evasive and try to find some peels because you can be burst down in seconds.
-AP Powertech: My favorite gap-closer/healer-harasser. While the high damage output isn't as apparent as Arsenal Merc, you dive right into the middle of a skirmish with some solid burst, some alright AoE, the application of bleed on targets, decent defenses, a grappling hook which is wildly overpowered in 4v4 arenas (pull healer, 4 players burst him down in seconds), good AoE CC with the carbonite spray thing. Your lunge and grappling hook are total playmakers that can completely change the outcome of a match.
-Marksman Sniper: You hit like a truck, but you have no mobility whatsoever. You have a fairly set and easy DPS rotation, but your defensive abilities are extremely important to learn/understand and are also highly situational. While sniper seems like a 'stay in the back and shoot the mans' class, I actually find it one of the most difficult to learn in terms of not getting focused and owned as soon as you use take cover. This is a single target burst dps spec. The engineering spec is a lot of fun in PvE because of it's insane AoE damage, but unfortunately doesn't carry over super well into PvP.
-Madness Sorc: I just started playing this a few days ago and pulled in 50k conquest just via PVP. I'm really enjoying it. You do crazy damage (though much of it is fluff damage) with great mobility and self-heals. You can drop some serious damage and keep yourself alive.
-Hatred Assassin: A DoT spec that is sort of decent on it's own but kind of tricky to learn. You basically run in, apply your DoTs on a target and spread your dots to other targets with lacerate or thrash (i forget which is the AoE/bad with ability names). Despite needing to be in close proximity to your enemies, you are pretty fragile and absolutely must make full use of your evasive abilities (phase walk, force speed, shield, cc, etc). It's a weird but interesting class to play. You have a respectable damage output but sometimes it wont feel like you're doing a whole lot. I often wonder if a higher alacrity build would be a good idea (fast casting, dot-spread, CDs) but haven't tried it. I don't play this class anymore now that I have the Madness Sorc.
-Concealment Operative: Really not great imo. Very powerful in 1v1 situations and some great utilities, but as far as big skirmishes go, you're not too difficult to take out unless you're playing very defensively, hindering your damage output. A solid playmaker because of all the utility, but not the best shootymans. I would argue that this is the hardest DPS class to master with not a whole lot of return on the time investment. At least not at the moment.

Heals:
-Corruption Sorc: Easily the most overpowered AC in the game at the moment and I don't think anyone would disagree. Insane burst heals, decent AoE/HoTs, mobility, an invuln, phasewalk, shielding, overload, some AoE dps (for interrupting node caps). Highly recommend this class if you enjoy winning and feeling like you have a direct impact on your team's performance.
-Medicine Operative: Best HoTs out of the 3 but overall heals are severely lacking compared to Corruption Sorc's overblown burst heals. Medicine Operative shines brightest when using it's utilities to it's fullest advantage- stealth, team stealth, double roll, cc breaks, self heals can make you pretty tough to take out. Medicine Op shines in Huttball, where as a ball carrier you cover a ton of ground and are very difficult to take out.
-Bodyguard Merc: Truthfully, my least favorite healer in PvP. Much more priority-oriented than rotation-oriented than most classes which makes it a bit difficult to 'get'' at first. With BG Merc, you have a ton of dps abilities at your disposal as well. I've found some effectiveness in off-DPSing in WZ's if the opportunity comes up but overall I'm not digging the spec.

I don't play enough tank in pvp to value my own opinion on it, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Of course, I've seen DPS and healers augmented with Fortitude augments in PvP so I may just be crazy. Paging DrunkenGarbageCan...

I could kind of (not really) see this being worthwhile for healer where you'd get some return on investment but any DPS doing this is a goober. Full Fort augments are going to increase your survivability by half a GCD whereas DPS augments are going to increase your damage (you know the d in DPS) every time you attack.

If you're that scared of dying just roll Tank since you'll be doing Tank damage anyways.

As for overpowered vs underpowered specs the best thing is to optimally have several ready. Don't put all your eggs in one basket if numbers are your motivation. Sorc nerfs are going to happen the question is when not if.

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Sorc nerfs are going to happen the question is when not if.

Yeah, this has to be coming in 4.1. As I learned with Smash Jugg a few years ago, every spec will have it's day and that day will most certainly end with a major nerf.

Level 60 tokens only cost 2-3m on GTN so it's not difficult at all to roll a bunch of AC's in a week. Plus, lots of dudes = lots of conquest for your goon pals

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

pinkk posted:

I haven't done as much research and testing as I should have considering how much PvP I do but I believe it comes down to specific classes having abilities and set bonus attributes concerning things like free crits or specs that output more white damage than yellow and things of that nature. In those instances, it may be more beneficial to boost power where your crit starts hitting DR.

DPS and healer-wise this is an argument for Power vs Main Stat vs Crit augments but not Fort augments. Yes there are some specs that don't benefit as much from the crazy crit of 4.0 (like Madness) but that usually means stacking Power on Power which has no DR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What kind of money I'm looking at to get Artifice up from 1 to 500? I have 500 in Treasure Hunting and Archaeology.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

DPS and healer-wise this is an argument for Power vs Main Stat vs Crit augments but not Fort augments. Yes there are some specs that don't benefit as much from the crazy crit of 4.0 (like Madness) but that usually means stacking Power on Power which has no DR.

My madness sorc is augmented (for PvP) with a couple crit but mostly alacrity - should I change a few of those out to Power?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

My view is that it's best to sub early. There aren't as many things as LOTRO that will unlock permanently, but subbing gives you the option to purchase a number of things like inventory slots and bank space for in-game credits instead of real $$$, and those do stay unlocked if you lapse. The biggest limit on non-subscribers is the credit cap, which is really strict. Most often I see people subscribe while they're seriously playing, then blow their credits towards the end on QoL things for once the subscription lapses. You can get by just fine like this for a good while if you're into the "log in once every week or so" phase, only resubscribing when you need to get access to new content.

Most importantly, make sure you join our friendly guild. We can hang out in our awesome space flagship and discuss our favorite John Ringo books. It'll be great.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

pinkk posted:

-Hatred Assassin: A DoT spec that is sort of decent on it's own but kind of tricky to learn. You basically run in, apply your DoTs on a target and spread your dots to other targets with lacerate or thrash (i forget which is the AoE/bad with ability names). Despite needing to be in close proximity to your enemies, you are pretty fragile and absolutely must make full use of your evasive abilities (phase walk, force speed, shield, cc, etc). It's a weird but interesting class to play. You have a respectable damage output but sometimes it wont feel like you're doing a whole lot. I often wonder if a higher alacrity build would be a good idea (fast casting, dot-spread, CDs) but haven't tried it. I don't play this class anymore now that I have the Madness Sorc.

I've been maining Serenity Shadow [Hatred Assassin] for the last few months and absolutely love it. Dotspread is hilarious in pvp, the self healing and playing defensively give [I think] as much survivability as Infiltration [Deception] and you're able to put out a decent amount of burst if you use your cooldowns well. We've been doing hardmodes and I'm generally pulling 4.5-5k dps in 216/220 6 set gear so it's good, though not top tier, dps while being able to taunt/cooldown rotate to function as a pretend-offtank bc we like doing whatever we can with a single tank.

This class and spec is most likely my favorite in the game but you are definitely right that it does have a learning curve to it but the playstyle of half caster/half melee is really fun for me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The HK jetpack isn't variable so us jetpack havers will continue to look down and laugh.

From the sky. Because we have jetpacks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The HK jetpack isn't variable so us jetpack havers will continue to look down and laugh.

From the sky. Because we have jetpacks.

Wait, what does variable mean in this context

Because even though I sound sarcastic I am looking forward to my free jetpack

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, what does variable mean in this context

Because even though I sound sarcastic I am looking forward to my free jetpack

If you hit the vehicle emote button, 2 extra jets pop out.

That's how we look down from you from so high, extra propulsion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If you hit the vehicle emote button, 2 extra jets pop out.

That's how we look down from you from so high, extra propulsion.

Oh, ok, phew. I thought you meant maybe the speed didn't scale to your speeder piloting skill or something. That would have been quite the tease.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

My view is that it's best to sub early. There aren't as many things as LOTRO that will unlock permanently, but subbing gives you the option to purchase a number of things like inventory slots and bank space for in-game credits instead of real $$$, and those do stay unlocked if you lapse. The biggest limit on non-subscribers is the credit cap, which is really strict. Most often I see people subscribe while they're seriously playing, then blow their credits towards the end on QoL things for once the subscription lapses. You can get by just fine like this for a good while if you're into the "log in once every week or so" phase, only resubscribing when you need to get access to new content.

Most importantly, make sure you join our friendly guild. We can hang out in our awesome space flagship and discuss our favorite John Ringo books. It'll be great.

Is there a specific server you have to be on to get in on the guild stuff? I looked for something about htat in the OP when I first started but didn't see anything and just kind of chose a non-RP server at random.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

My madness sorc is augmented (for PvP) with a couple crit but mostly alacrity - should I change a few of those out to Power?

Off the top of my head you should be running the Force Master set. Replace the two Accuracy Enhancements with Alacrity and use an Alacrity Implant. Then you should be running 9-10 Power Augments and 4-5 Crit Augments based on preference. The goal is 35% crit.

If below 65 all Power all day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a specific server you have to be on to get in on the guild stuff? I looked for something about htat in the OP when I first started but didn't see anything and just kind of chose a non-RP server at random.

Jedi Covenant

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi

Rannison posted:

I've been maining Serenity Shadow [Hatred Assassin] for the last few months and absolutely love it. Dotspread is hilarious in pvp, the self healing and playing defensively give [I think] as much survivability as Infiltration [Deception] and you're able to put out a decent amount of burst if you use your cooldowns well. We've been doing hardmodes and I'm generally pulling 4.5-5k dps in 216/220 6 set gear so it's good, though not top tier, dps while being able to taunt/cooldown rotate to function as a pretend-offtank bc we like doing whatever we can with a single tank.

This class and spec is most likely my favorite in the game but you are definitely right that it does have a learning curve to it but the playstyle of half caster/half melee is really fun for me

Oh, I was talking about PvP only. In PVE, Hatred owns as is very fun.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

pinkk posted:

Oh, I was talking about PvP only. In PVE, Hatred owns as is very fun.

Oh ya, definitely. I really enjoy it PvP but that almost may be due to my shunning of Infil/Deception to begin with so I'm not as familiar with it. The burst, however, from Infil is hilarious

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Dumb newbie question. I have a set of common data crystal gear on my pyrotech and today I read a thing saying you shouldn't do that and should instead itemize using different mods. What kind of mods should I be getting, then? I can find a few that seem to have higher power/alacrity/crit at the cost of endurance - should I be buying those and replacing the stuff on my current gear with them?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Got the Red Sphere from Xeno HM. Guy got really really mad at me that I wouldn't trade it to him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Jedi Covenant

Ech. Is there a character transfer that doesn't cost money or should u just restart. Don't really want to restart.

edit: oh, hey, nevermind I was on Jedi Covenant anyways. I'm just dense.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ech. Is there a character transfer that doesn't cost money or should u just restart. Don't really want to restart.

If you're on a NA server you can click the referral link in the op and get a free transfer.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I know this is fairly unrelated but what exactly does subbing unlock permanently in LOTRO? I played it a lot when Moria and Mirkwood were current content, and if subbing unlocked all the zones/expansions and poo poo like it does for TOR I'd be temped to run through it once more before they shut the servers down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Medullah posted:

If you're on a NA server you can click the referral link in the op and get a free transfer.

I didn't need it, but that referal link doesn't work. Says that the account it's associated with is not eligable for the referral program. Do I need to be a subscriber for it to work?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I didn't need it, but that referal link doesn't work. Says that the account it's associated with is not eligable for the referral program. Do I need to be a subscriber for it to work?

You have to have a confirmed email address if you're free to play.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I know this is fairly unrelated but what exactly does subbing unlock permanently in LOTRO? I played it a lot when Moria and Mirkwood were current content, and if subbing unlocked all the zones/expansions and poo poo like it does for TOR I'd be temped to run through it once more before they shut the servers down.

First off they're not shutting the LOTRO servers down. They just did a big server consolidation that upped populatino on the remaining servers a lot and really revitalized things.

As for what it unlocks, it doesn't unlock all the expansions but it does unlock a whole slew of quality of life things. There is a lot of discussion of that over in the LOTRO thread. You can also get the expansions pretty cheap as a combo pack, or dirt loving cheap when the combos go on sale on steam.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Medullah posted:

You have to have a confirmed email address if you're free to play.

huh. I do and it's still not letting me do it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Polyakov posted:

I didnt know anything about it until people explained it to me in guild chat last night, theres a degree of me being thick but i had never seen the conquest tab or even really knew about it, i had just assumed it was a thing you found somewhere in the fleet and would have rather kept levelling alts than look for it.

A for dummies post about it, what it gives you and how you do it may well help get more people doing it.

I still don't really understand conquest, and my characters are like level ~35.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

PaganGoatPants posted:

I still don't really understand conquest, and my characters are like level ~35.

Open your quest log, click the conquest tab, do the activities listed on the left hand side to earn points until your green bar goes from 0 to 20000. It's not complicated.

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
I look at Conquests as an endgame thing, in that it's like a weekly menu of varied content to choose from incentivized by a measurable goal to reach. It's got a bit of everything (PvP, Ops, FPs, HM, Heroics, GSF, Crafting) and the rewards are okay. You get something that's guaranteed to sell for 400k as well as some crafting mat decos that sell for ~40-50k each. I guess you could say that it's a way of adding purpose to old content and is typically only appealing once you've done everything and have a hard time deciding what to do in the game.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Reached Rank 20 on all factions.

I feel...cold.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
we're trying to do a dread palace run tonight and still need people

there will be a lot of flailing so don't worry if that's all you can bring to the table

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do all classes have aoe clear abilities to blast through the massive amount of mobs between quest objectives, or are some entirely single target based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Do all classes have aoe clear abilities to blast through the massive amount of mobs between quest objectives, or are some entirely single target based?
I'm playing Sith Warrior->Marauder with Annihilation spec right now, and if that one has any significant AoE clearing ability, then it does not come until level 48 at the very least, since the two abilities you have are rather anemic even at clearing weak enemies.

• Locked thread