Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
:psyduck: at those rates, I would do whatever it took to structure my life to not require a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was 19 I had a car for a year. In 1994, I paid $2500 for one year of bare-minimum insurance on a 1979 rabbit with a stick shift. I then got rid of it because A) I couldn't get it to pass smog, and B) I was also paying my sister for her garage space and it was just too loving expensive given my hamburger job and college expenses.

Insurance in an urban area for a male under 25 can be horrendously expensive.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jesus Detroit is $10k a year? I thought Chicago was expensive back when I had a sub-25 driver on it and it was like $3500. We're down to $1600 now, and I should probably remind them I have a garage now :3:

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Toronto has high rates, similar to Detroit where the average rate is $10,000 a year. Yes that amount is right. Detroit is over double the nearest most expensive US city. Toronto averages $2,000 but young males typically pay double the average.
WTF, dude. Detroit is the highest in the country, but Google is telling me you added zero. It's really just over $1000. The national average is $800. A quick Google search also turns up that $400/month for car insurance in Toronto is actually a fairly average rate.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Yeah no way I was buying 10k per year in a region with such depressed wages. That would mean the average person had $7kish in claims per year? That's probably the median vehicle value.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

Yeah no way I was buying 10k per year in a region with such depressed wages. That would mean the average person had $7kish in claims per year? That's probably the median vehicle value.
Yeah, the per capita income of Detroit is around $15k/year. It just doesn't pass the sanity test.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm in Louisiana. I think we are in the top 3 for the country. My insurance is something like 1800 a year right now with a 6 month plan. That's with my car being registered in the cheaper parish too.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

swenblack posted:

Yeah, the per capita income of Detroit is around $15k/year. It just doesn't pass the sanity test.

Claims Journal says ~$6000 "in some neighborhoods". The city government reports 545 carjackings and over 10,000 stolen vehicles for 2014, or a bit over 1.4 stolen vehicles for every 100 people (about seven times the national average). If those are clustered in certain zip codes, I could totally see insurance rates going through the roof for people unlucky enough to live there.

For the whole city, though, no, that's just silly.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

couldcareless posted:

I'm in Louisiana. I think we are in the top 3 for the country. My insurance is something like 1800 a year right now with a 6 month plan. That's with my car being registered in the cheaper parish too.

I can understand that though, because I'm sure it's a nightmare for insurance to replace tens of thousands of cars after every hurricane blows through and floods everything out. That kind of predictable devastation is pretty unique

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My shiny new P85D (a $110K car) cost just over 4K to insure a year. No loving way anyone in detroit is paying 10K a year unless they are in Bugatti territory.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I can understand that though, because I'm sure it's a nightmare for insurance to replace tens of thousands of cars after every hurricane blows through and floods everything out. That kind of predictable devastation is pretty unique

Actually from what I understand it's due to the cost associated with bringing anything to court here. I don't know any details beyond that, but my assumption is due to our adherence to napoleonic code for our law which makes passing the bar here different than elsewhere.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pryor on Fire posted:

My shiny new P85D (a $110K car) cost just over 4K to insure a year. No loving way anyone in detroit is paying 10K a year unless they are in Bugatti territory.

Nominating for humblebrag of the year.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Nominating for humblebrag of the year.

Already filed it away from nomination.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Not humble, just a brag. Pryor you are a boss.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Bathroom carpet.

WHY???

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

For the super fun experience of your toilet catastrophically overflowing at 3 am, so you have to frantically tear it out in the middle of the night. It's great!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DaveSauce posted:

Bathroom carpet.

WHY???
My favorite was our last rental house. White bathroom carpet. White kitchen carpet. White carpet... everywhere.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

Bathroom carpet.

WHY???
The previous owner of my house had carpet AND liked to use a bleach-based shower cleaner on the swinging shower door.

Bleach bleaches things :eng101:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm sorry, is this normal? I feel like this is getting glossed over.

It's pretty normal and I just happen to live in the highest insurance premium neighbourhood of the GTA. I got a $40 slap-on-the-wrist ticket for going 15 over two years back. It ended up raising my insurance by 25% (a little over a grand a year) for 5 years. If I knew this could happen I would've paid $200 for ex-copper or something and had it thrown out. Besides that I have a clean record.

Leperflesh posted:

At 23, you might do any of the following in the next ten years:
-Change careers
-Same career, new job, in a different part of the city
-New job in a different city
-Marriage
-Family
-Major change in financial status, plus or minus
-Decide to go back to school

Being tied to property could really mess with your ability to do the things most young people want to do. And you've literally never lived on your own? How do you even know what you want in a home purchase?

I think buying at this age is a huge mistake. Rent, be flexible, figure out who you are, give yourself the ability to say "yes" to new opportunities. Save money and buy a house when you're settled down, secure in a long-term career, have whatever long-term relationship you're likely to stick with, know what school district you might want your children in, etc. etc. etc.

Pretty much my biggest fear is change and I really want to rent but I have trouble justifying paying 1500/mo to rent when I could own a property and pay the exact same amount (and keep most of it).

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

ghostter posted:

It's pretty normal and I just happen to live in the highest insurance premium neighbourhood of the GTA. I got a $40 slap-on-the-wrist ticket for going 15 over two years back. It ended up raising my insurance by 25% (a little over a grand a year) for 5 years. If I knew this could happen I would've paid $200 for ex-copper or something and had it thrown out. Besides that I have a clean record.

Pretty much my biggest fear is change and I really want to rent but I have trouble justifying paying 1500/mo to rent when I could own a property and pay the exact same amount (and keep most of it).

Rent is an exchange where you pay for shelter and the maintenance of the property, with the money going to a landlord. Owning is taking on a massive amount of debt in exchange for paying all maintenance costs yourself, while most of your money goes to the lender. If by "keep most of it" you mean "keep a couple hundred in equity as long as the value of the home doesn't depreciate and the only way to access it is either debt to myself or getting rid of my own shelter" then yes, you're right!

In other words, rent is the highest you will have to pay in a month, and it's fixed for a while. A mortgage is the lowest you will ever pay in a month, with the expectation that you will shell out tons more at random intervals. Please don't be shortsighted on this.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ghostter posted:

Please read the first two posts in this thread. Ownership is a PITA.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Bozart posted:

Please read the first two posts in this thread. Ownership is a PITA.

Then read them four more times, then read the rest of the thread.

Mickles
Feb 12, 2008
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.
I came into this thread all house horny, and at the end have decided to Never Buy.

Thanks I guess.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ghostter posted:

(and keep most of it)
Hahahahaha!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Yeah dude you don't understand mortgages and the secondary costs of home ownership. Please don't buy a place in your early 20s.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mickles posted:

I came into this thread all house horny, and at the end have decided to Never Buy.

Thanks I guess.
You're welcome for the house cockblocking. I promise you it's for your own good.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Grumpwagon posted:

For the super fun experience of your toilet catastrophically overflowing at 3 am, so you have to frantically tear it out in the middle of the night. It's great!

Yeah...it's pretty much an instant NO to any house with that. If we had to, the carpet would be gone in a week.

Also that house just went under contract.

Our market sucks...or we're being too picky.

Our basic criteria are:
0.2+ acres
2000+ sq ft
3+ bed
2+ bath
2+ car garage
Max price $350k

There are 5 active properties in our search area. We're looking in/around Cary, NC (including Morrisville and Apex).

We've only seen about 8 properties in person, and our realtor sent us video walkthroughs of a few others and they were extremely "meh." Usually ends up that they're very dated, or have wacky layouts.

So all that said, when to we start compromising or just saying "gently caress it good enough?" Our realtor seems to be hung up on things like slightly off layouts, anything but 9ft smooth ceilings, etc. Certainly things worth considering, but I worry that he's trying to find us the PERFECT house...

What are the things we're going to regret compromising on in 5, 10, 20 years?

We found an awesome house that got an offer on it the morning after we looked at it. We're trying to get a back-up offer in, but they're asking for $3k more than list...I don't hold out hope that anything will come of it...

House hunting sucks.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 16, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You're going to have a really hard time there with that criteria. I've helped buy 3 houses there and purely based on school district the prices higher. Please update on how it goes.

Also, I know it doesn't feel like you're asking for a lot of land, but land's at a premium here for some reason. Almost all houses I've seen with that much land worth buying are either half a mil or really old and fixer uppers, since before gentrification this was all poor farm land.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 16, 2016

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
So, we're under contract for a house in Northern Virginia and I am shopping between lenders. Where is the point of no return with Lenders? We have a locked-in rate of 3.75% with a local lender who supposedly ordered an appraisal (VA) and who we feel tied to because our realtor says "can close fast." Quicken Loans is offering the same rate with much less in closing costs, according to both of their Loan Estimates. We haven't signed the Residential Loan Application with either of them. 30 days to close, which may be extended due to repairs needed from the Home Inspection.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Rurutia posted:

You're going to have a really hard time there with that criteria. I've helped buy 3 houses there and purely based on school district the prices higher. Please update on how it goes.

Also, I know it doesn't feel like you're asking for a lot of land, but land's at a premium here for some reason. Almost all houses I've seen with that much land worth buying are either half a mil or really old and fixer uppers, since before gentrification this was all poor farm land.

Yeah, we've figured that one out already...we're barely at it and there's just about nothing. We can either get a house that is nice, but has a 20 year old roof or other expensive imminent repairs (but will still sell fast and for over list), or we can get a 2005 house on a 0.1 acre plot in a cookie-cutter subdivision.

We don't want a ton of land, we just want a reasonable backyard for a dog and small garden. Also, we don't want to be able to high-five our neighbors without leaving the house...

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

kys posted:

So, we're under contract for a house in Northern Virginia and I am shopping between lenders. Where is the point of no return with Lenders? We have a locked-in rate of 3.75% with a local lender who supposedly ordered an appraisal (VA) and who we feel tied to because our realtor says "can close fast." Quicken Loans is offering the same rate with much less in closing costs, according to both of their Loan Estimates. We haven't signed the Residential Loan Application with either of them. 30 days to close, which may be extended due to repairs needed from the Home Inspection.
Go on Zillow and request a mortgage quote. Call the company that gives you the lowest quote directly and ask for their best deal. 3.75% is a lovely rate, BTW. You'll end up overpaying by $43k for a median price home. The going rate for a 30 year fixed rate VA loan in NoVA is 3.25% with cash back at closing, as long as you have good credit. Also, keep in mind that your realtor gets a couple thousand dollars if they refer you to someone who sells you an overpriced mortgage.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/418gap/bought_a_house_and_now_im_in_big_trouble_advice/ posted:

Hi all, I am a first time poster here, and I really need advice.

I bought a house at the end of March last year for 63,000. I had an inspection done by a highly recommended licensed inspector. I was given an inspection report, and at the end he told me that it was a very solid little house. The sellers ended up fixing a few electrical issues and giving me a small credit towards a new water heater before I moved in.

Everything seemed to be fine for the first six months. Then the mold starting popping up.

First it was in my bathroom on the ceiling. I chalked it up to poor ventilation so I cleaned it and tried saving for a bathroom ventilation fan. Then it showed up along the ceiling of my bedroom and all rooms along the exterior walls of the house. I had it in the back of my mind to call someone to find out what's going on. Finally, this past week, some boxes were moved out of a closet and the wall and carpet are covered in mold that's all colors of the rainbow, as well as soaking wet. This spanned into the next rooms closet as well. Then I started noticing it everywhere.

I call three different restoration companies to come and look. The consensus seems to be that my house is pretty much screwed. The attic is covered in mold and so are the walls. I have been told that the roof, ceiling drywall, and some of the walls need to come down. I'm waiting for the bid but I was told it will be more than $20,000.

I had my insurance adjuster out yesterday and she told me it didn't look good. I now have to wait for a structural engineer to come next week before I can find out if anything is covered. She couldn't say anything, but I could tell she was hinting to me that I'm in big trouble.

Here's the personal finance part of this mess. I have 1,000 dollars in savings. I have no one to fall back on and a "fair" credit score. What do I do if this house needs 20-30k in restorations? I bought this house less than a year ago and it's obvious the problem was covered up when I moved in. I was told I shouldn't even be staying here right now due to the mold, but I have no where else to go.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

kys posted:

If they've ordered the appraisal you may be on the hook for that $400, but you may also be able to use the appraisal with a different lender. When the realtor says they prefer a lender because they are easier to work with, what they mean is they are collecting a referral fee. It's always better to find your own lender and I recommend zillow as well, it worked great for me (2.75% 5/1).

It's said in this thread a lot but realtors really shouldn't be trusted to be on your side in negotiations. They don't have a fiduciary duty towards you and their ethical standards don't prevent conflicts of interest.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, we've figured that one out already...we're barely at it and there's just about nothing. We can either get a house that is nice, but has a 20 year old roof or other expensive imminent repairs (but will still sell fast and for over list), or we can get a 2005 house on a 0.1 acre plot in a cookie-cutter subdivision.

We don't want a ton of land, we just want a reasonable backyard for a dog and small garden. Also, we don't want to be able to high-five our neighbors without leaving the house...

A 2000+ sq ft home on 0.1 acres? Does the property exist more than six inches beyond the edges of the house? My parents' house is 1200 sq ft on 0.17 acres and that is the minimum ratio of house to land that should be acceptable.

Note: I do not advocate living in 1200 sq ft if you have children. 5:1 is a terrible people to bathrooms ratio.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My neighbor's house is 4000 square feet plus attached garage, and his lot is 0.18 acres. 5 foot setback on the sides, 20 foot out front. It's too big for the lot by any reasonable aesthetic standard, but it's typical of the new world order around here.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Note: I do not advocate living in 1200 sq ft if you have children. 5:1 is a terrible people to bathrooms ratio.

You can have more than one bathroom in a 1200 sq ft house.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

swenblack posted:

Go on Zillow and request a mortgage quote. Call the company that gives you the lowest quote directly and ask for their best deal. 3.75% is a lovely rate, BTW. You'll end up overpaying by $43k for a median price home. The going rate for a 30 year fixed rate VA loan in NoVA is 3.25% with cash back at closing, as long as you have good credit. Also, keep in mind that your realtor gets a couple thousand dollars if they refer you to someone who sells you an overpriced mortgage.

Do Jumbo Loans generally get better rates? Does cash back at closing mean 0 closing costs? It seems like were getting swindled here and I already applied for a lender from zillow and the Interest Rate it quoted me at is 3.25%. Granted the interest rates have lowered some since we locked in, but that is a huge difference.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

If they've ordered the appraisal you may be on the hook for that $400, but you may also be able to use the appraisal with a different lender. When the realtor says they prefer a lender because they are easier to work with, what they mean is they are collecting a referral fee. It's always better to find your own lender and I recommend zillow as well, it worked great for me (2.75% 5/1).

It's said in this thread a lot but realtors really shouldn't be trusted to be on your side in negotiations. They don't have a fiduciary duty towards you and their ethical standards don't prevent conflicts of interest.

I looked into it and I think (not sure) that a VA appraisal can be transferred to different lenders. Thanks for the pointers guys.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

kys posted:

Do Jumbo Loans generally get better rates? Does cash back at closing mean 0 closing costs? It seems like were getting swindled here and I already applied for a lender from zillow and the Interest Rate it quoted me at is 3.25%. Granted the interest rates have lowered some since we locked in, but that is a huge difference.
In NoVA, a VA loan needs to be over $729k to be a jumbo, IIRC. Jumbos usually are little more expensive than conforming loans, but not by much. You can't actually get cash back at closing from a VA, but you can use the money to populate your escrow account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

kys posted:

I looked into it and I think (not sure) that a VA appraisal can be transferred to different lenders. Thanks for the pointers guys.

They can. I started my loan process with Navy Fed, ended up switching. They didn't get the memo via the 5 or 6 different people I emailed, and ended up scheduling an appraisal anyways. I didn't find out about their scheduled appraisal until the day it was happening. Transferred the info to my new lender, and everything went fine.