Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

teepo posted:

it's partly why it's my least favorite of the three main timberwolf builds. infact, a lot of the IS mechs outclass the the timberwolves now when it comes to laser vomiting, such as the Jester and Quickdraw-5K

I hit the C-Bill treadmill pretty hardcore to get 3 Timberwolves since they were on sale, and I can't really say I'm impressed with them over other choices right now. Maybe my tune will change after I elite them, but right now I'm way more successful with my Hellbringers. TBRs don't exactly have the best hitboxes (especially compared to the Marauder, which actually takes 0 damage in certain specific spots in the front) and I'm just not feeling it yet.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I must be as grating as izov because he doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, back to goon drama?

The TBR-A shoulder does have some really bad penalties, but I've never used it; laser vomit seems to be pretty viable without resorting to that pod.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Man did anyone get video of me wrecking face in the 6 ac2 kgc last night? Apparently shadow play decided not to record and I got nothing. :(

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Skoll posted:

2x ASRM 6 4x ALRM 5

I'm so bad.

Jeez, only one solo kill. I see you like stealing kills and *padding your stats.*

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vorenus posted:

I must be as grating as izov because he doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, back to goon drama?

The TBR-A shoulder does have some really bad penalties, but I've never used it; laser vomit seems to be pretty viable without resorting to that pod.

having a few CLPLs on a torso with those mounts is pretty great though

the TBR is good enough that it can work either way with laservom. You just play them differently is all

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Endbuster posted:

Jeez, only one solo kill. I see you like stealing kills and *padding your stats.*

Something that I can affirm is best done with a 6SPL Arctic Cheetah.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Pattonesque posted:

as for the whole brawl vs. snipe thing, there is an argument to be made for every robot pouring in and smacking heads, but having one or two snipey mechs stand off and take free shots at exposed components might be more efficient overall. YMMV
The argument for is that the more robits in the push, the more incoming damage you can ameliorate across the charging mob and improve the likelyhood that everyone survives, and when the push fails because half the team are trying to play at being Vasyli Zaytsev all of those snipers are about to be dead anyway. Unless you are trading up lots of armour to make your robit more snipey ( protip: dont do this thing, it's a really bad idea unless you're a gimmick 12 flamers no armour and all MG ammo build, in which case god speed noble bird warrior, your flaming death shall be fantastic ), your armour is more beneficial to the team when you're taking part in the fight. Even if you aren't built for tankin' and fightin' you're absorbing some of the damage that would have been inflicted on the Dads that would have otherwise led to their demise. Also it's harder to focus fire from the back with all those tempting and potentially open friendly backsides between you and your target.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Pubbies are really bad at picking a target and sticking to it until it dies, but if they only have one thing to shoot at even pubbies can't gently caress it up every time.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

ZombyDog posted:

The argument for is that the more robits in the push, the more incoming damage you can ameliorate across the charging mob and improve the likelyhood that everyone survives, and when the push fails because half the team are trying to play at being Vasyli Zaytsev all of those snipers are about to be dead anyway. Unless you are trading up lots of armour to make your robit more snipey ( protip: dont do this thing, it's a really bad idea unless you're a gimmick 12 flamers no armour and all MG ammo build, in which case god speed noble bird warrior, your flaming death shall be fantastic ), your armour is more beneficial to the team when you're taking part in the fight. Even if you aren't built for tankin' and fightin' you're absorbing some of the damage that would have been inflicted on the Dads that would have otherwise led to their demise.

this would only be a strong argument if everybody were rolling in a brawling mech but that isn't the case nor does it need to be and brawling isn't the end all be all strategy in the game. most top teams that roll us have a mix of brawlers and support mechs that use the map to their advantage to fire at us constantly and consistently from each and every direction resulting in a complete stomp.

the game is now balanced for a mix between the two and it's for the best. but even so, laser vomit is still the slightly dominate strategy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
right like, in a brawl/push there is going to be a limit to how many people can effectively fire at once, so one or two smaller robbits (like shadow cats!) standing back and poking is a good use of tonnage and helps keep the pressure on

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
stop making sense

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
As long as they're in position to capitalize when I rush in with my Spider like a moron firing machineguns at everything and generally being a nuisance I don't care whether anyone else is brawling or sniping. As long as enemy `Mechs are falling over and I have butts to shoot.

Edit: And Dire Wolves I can stand directly behind to stop them from advancing to the rear.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 13, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

As long as they're in position to capitalize when I rush in with my Spider like a moron firing machineguns at everything and generally being a nuisance I don't care whether anyone else is brawling or sniping as long as enemy `Mechs are falling over and I have butts to shoot.

Edit: And Dire Wolves I can stand directly behind to stop them from advancing to the rear.

Fire At The Enemy For Chrissakes is generally a good way of approaching the game I agree

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I bought a Timberwolf-A and I can't say I really like it. Mine carries 4xML and 2xLPL. Heat is a real problem and it not only has quirks that hurt lasers but negative quirks for acceleration/deceleration as well. It's not horrible I guess but I would much rather be throwing clouds of missiles around in my Stormcrow. Maybe I'll get one in the future with missile hardpoints and try just making a bigger SRM boat brawler.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My pub-stompy brawl heavy is just an Cauldron Born with 2 UAC10s and a pair of ASRM-4s with a bunch of ammo. I've run out of ammo before, and I draw a lot of enemy fire in it, but it's a fun little machine for pumping out damage. I had SRM6s in it, but I think I swapped them to 4s to pick up Artemis and some extra ammo. I don't really remember.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What am I supposed to do these days to get back into WOL or GIRL? And what's the mumble info? The OP still has registering for the forums and Star Citizen, which can't possibly be current.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Internet Explorer posted:

The OP still has registering for the forums and Star Citizen, which can't possibly be current.

That is comedy gold. gently caress every other post in this thread, or any thread, go home.

I won't belittle this acomplishment with a gif.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Goons are the best robot hipsters. The Shadow Cat, for all it's worth and living in the shadow of the Stormcrow, is a ton of fun to run around in.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

armchairyoda posted:

That is comedy gold. gently caress every other post in this thread, or any thread, go home.

I won't belittle this acomplishment with a gif.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

novaSphere posted:

Goons are the best robot hipsters. The Shadow Cat, for all it's worth and living in the shadow of the Stormcrow, is a ton of fun to run around in.

Guess I now know what robot I should work on once I master the loyalty Nova. :shepicide:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I mean, I can't speak for how you like to play, but I'm running a lone Shadow Cat variant without full Basics and I'm already enjoying it more than any of the three Timberwolves I poopsocked to buy while they were on sale.

edit: whoosh, godspeed and condolences, remember someone is always within arm's reach

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 13, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

teepo posted:

if there is one thing that pisses off a select number of goons is not joining a brawl when you're running a build optimized for shooting poo poo at 400-500 meters back

Because if it ultimately breaks down into a brawl the more mechs within the brawl to absorb outgoing damage the better. It doesn't matter what you run at that point, provided you aren't a lurm mech you'll still be doing the same damage as peek and poke (Probably more) AND you'll be absorbing some of the aggregate incoming damage from the brawl. What the gently caress is not to get here?

I feel like there's this whole publord mentality that if you get yer mech dirty you've already lost and I'm shocked that goons are championing it.

Oh and FYI: Peek and poke is no where near dominant at the moment outside of CW. In just about every map outside of alpine and sometimes canyon if you can get your team to follow you into a brawl you've pretty much already won. The only time it doesn't win is when half the team is lobbing lurms. Just about any other map with a good D-DC/S pilot you can force a close confrontation.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Voideka
Dec 3, 2006
One deadly and unpredictable midget

ZombyDog posted:

The argument for is that the more robits in the push, the more incoming damage you can ameliorate across the charging mob and improve the likelyhood that everyone survives, and when the push fails because half the team are trying to play at being Vasyli Zaytsev all of those snipers are about to be dead anyway. Unless you are trading up lots of armour to make your robit more snipey ( protip: dont do this thing, it's a really bad idea unless you're a gimmick 12 flamers no armour and all MG ammo build, in which case god speed noble bird warrior, your flaming death shall be fantastic ), your armour is more beneficial to the team when you're taking part in the fight. Even if you aren't built for tankin' and fightin' you're absorbing some of the damage that would have been inflicted on the Dads that would have otherwise led to their demise. Also it's harder to focus fire from the back with all those tempting and potentially open friendly backsides between you and your target.

Like 90% of the time when I'm playing a snipey I draw 2 or 3 enemies away from the blob. Even if I do very little damage splitting the enemy is way more valuable than my armor would be IMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I will amend it by saying medium/light snipers aren't that big a deal, but if you are heavy and up: please be in the brawl. There's nothing worse than finding out the last guy alive is a 4x LRM Atlas 7s, considering one of those properly kitted out can kill half a team by itself :cripes: (This happened to me twice in pubdrops this week).

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I think the main vibe is that when all the meat does a lot of effort to win the game and they all die gloriously in the field of splat and then they see one goon with pristine armor at the end of they game they get upset and wonder why.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Terra therma sucks, pubbies just love that drat butthole.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
5x C ER-ML was pretty swanky. Touching buttholes from 400m and able to still hold up in a brawl once the super goon brawl team went in. Runs fuckin' haooooooooooot though. Good games dudes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Any mech combat that isn't settled with honorable AC/5s is dis-e-honorable. Or something I dunno.

Sniper / vulture builds can be a shitload of fun but they're more for loving about in pug / small group drops. Apart from my counter-sniper urbanmech I stick to brawlers in CW decks.

But you folks play however you want. It's a videogame after all.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

On River city guys if you spawn on the opposite side of the big citadel, catherd your pub team through the highground instead of across the water, managed to pull off three wins this way in a row even though people grumbled.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because if it ultimately breaks down into a brawl the more mechs within the brawl to absorb outgoing damage the better. It doesn't matter what you run at that point, provided you aren't a lurm mech you'll still be doing the same damage as peek and poke (Probably more) AND you'll be absorbing some of the aggregate incoming damage from the brawl. What the gently caress is not to get here?

I feel like there's this whole publord mentality that if you get yer mech dirty you've already lost and I'm shocked that goons are championing it.

Oh and FYI: Peek and poke is no where near dominant at the moment outside of CW. In just about every map outside of alpine and sometimes canyon if you can get your team to follow you into a brawl you've pretty much already won. The only time it doesn't win is when half the team is lobbing lurms. Just about any other map with a good D-DC/S pilot you can force a close confrontation.

this isn't even an issue of peeking and poking, which is roll only suited for smaller mechs and is perfectly valid playstyle but an overall issue that when your mech is built to be most effective sitting several hundred meters back, then you don't force your way into a brawl and are more effective sitting back and shooting away. what the gently caress is not to get here?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I bought the cataphract 0-xp, I've been running it with an AC20 and medium pulses and it feels WAY more tanky than it has any right to be for what it is.

Its...actually pretty fun.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Axetrain posted:

I bought a Timberwolf-A and I can't say I really like it. Mine carries 4xML and 2xLPL. Heat is a real problem and it not only has quirks that hurt lasers but negative quirks for acceleration/deceleration as well. It's not horrible I guess but I would much rather be throwing clouds of missiles around in my Stormcrow. Maybe I'll get one in the future with missile hardpoints and try just making a bigger SRM boat brawler.

You can swap out your sides actually, and keep the same mech. I don't know if quirks would matter for the remaining center torso though. My preferred Timber is 4x ASRM 6 and 4x SPL. The missiles at least have a good hardpoint location.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

teepo posted:

this would only be a strong argument if everybody were rolling in a brawling mech but that isn't the case nor does it need to be and brawling isn't the end all be all strategy in the game.

It is, because sniper mechs can still snipe from brawling range, and brawling mechs cannot snipe. If a push is called, everyone pushes, because otherwise the push runs the risk of failing and leaving you with most of your team dead because you only got 6 or 8 mechs' worth of guns onto the enemy, versus their 12. If you have LRMs or PPCs or something with a minimum range, just be the rear rank in the push (LRMing from 400m away is actually good, because in most situations, you won't be able to have every mech fire every gun at the same target due to terrain, and the LRM guy can shoot over teammates).

Snipe if you want, just do it from within the brawling pack and not from 1000m away.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 13, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I mastered my King Crab finally and I'm thinking about selling the 00B because it doesn't seem to really be worth keeping around. The 0000 has missiles and lasers, the 000 has a lot of ballistics. But the 00B just kind of has nothing special about it, or am I missing something?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
not to mention you won't have the same sight lines as the rest of the group 200 meters back humping your favorite hill

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So I mastered my King Crab finally and I'm thinking about selling the 00B because it doesn't seem to really be worth keeping around. The 0000 has missiles and lasers, the 000 has a lot of ballistics. But the 00B just kind of has nothing special about it, or am I missing something?

nah if it doesnt look useful sell it. but i wont sell anything unless I am in dire need of cbucks or mechbays

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

teepo posted:

this isn't even an issue of peeking and poking, which is roll only suited for smaller mechs and is perfectly valid playstyle but an overall issue that when your mech is built to be most effective sitting several hundred meters back, then you don't force your way into a brawl and are more effective sitting back and shooting away. what the gently caress is not to get here?

Unless you are packing lurms/PPC's i.e. things that are questionable use anyways, your large lasers hit just fine up close (And pretty much everything works within 250m) and if anything you'll do more accurate component damage, so congrats on the "Non argument" I guess?

Or do you just not know how weapons work in this game? Like someone told you that you literally had to be at optimal range to get full damage for every weapon system? Literally everything is better the closer you are due to aiming/travel time, including lurms and PPC's if you can skirt the ranges where they are useless.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 13, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Theorycrafting about robot teamwork is :pgi:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

Unless you are packing lurms/PPC's i.e. things that are questionable use anyways, your large lasers hit just fine up close and if anything you'll do more accurate component damage, so congrats on the "Non argument" I guess?

I look at it this way -- if I'm in something tanky like an Atlas or a Griffin, obviously I want to be right in the thick of things with people firing at me. If I'm in something squishier like a Shadow Cat or a dual-gauss 'mech, maybe my best move is to find a different angle on the fight entirely, so I can get free shots on exposed components, or force a big hitter to turn around or get back-cored. A snipey mech standing off (at a reasonable range -- 500 meters max) and getting free shots during the push can also do things like, say, pick off a torso on an otherwise-occupied XL mech, taking it out of the fight quicker than expected or at least forcing it to reconsider things. I might not be able to do that if I join the push proper as firing lanes get clogged.

Now, if you have half your robots doing this, that's probably a bad idea. But having a push of 10 with two taking angles and getting uncontested trades? Different story.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Theorycrafting about robot teamwork is :pgi:

This isn't theory crafting though. It's a proven successful strategy.

• Locked thread