Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I never mentioned interfaces/skins in the op because I never used one before, but holy gently caress is this simple and some look really good.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info581-JRRSkinscollection-Atributetomiddleearth.html

Click the download button, make sure you grab the Erebor one too. Go to your LoTRO folder, the one with all your screenshots, make a folder called UI there, in that one called skins. Extract the JRR skins collection there. In the game just go into interface options on each character, select a skin you think suits that character and it'll save forever per char.

The Erebor one is great, Durin's Folk is the other good dwarf one, there's also one just called JRR type A I think that is good for minimalists, and some Rohan horse ones I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Lars posted:

Just did a test "15 minutes in Foroshel" - no rubberbanding, no lag, ping 99-103 from Denmark on a 500mbit fiber. Last night eurotime was unplayable though.

Besides that, did they change the 40 to 50 leveling? I'm quickly running out of <47 content at level 44. (I went from Evendim/Trollshaws straight to Foroshel - seems like I missed a zone "in between" - Misty Mountains perhaps?)

Southwest Angmar and Western Misty Mountains are both in that range.

You could probably go to Eregion at 44-45 (you for sure want to go at 45 and get your first legendary weapon from the quest at the gates of Moria).

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
The game has been really laggy since the patch :( I wasnt able to login at all on Landroval before the hotfix, now I can but there is intermitant rubberband.

I'm sure they'll fix it, they always do.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, you need to do a few levels in Angmar, Misty Mountains, or skirmishes after Evendim before hitting up Forochel; Forochel is a 44-50 zone.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

AskYourself posted:

I'm sure they'll fix it, they always do.

They fix most things, however rubberbanding on your war-steed still hasn't been fixed after more than 3 years.

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, you need to do a few levels in Angmar, Misty Mountains, or skirmishes after Evendim before hitting up Forochel; Forochel is a 44-50 zone.

My last few times through the 40s I definitely had to gently caress around a little in Angmar and Misty Mountains to bridge the gap before Eregion. Thankfully these days you can pretty much skip all of the annoying quests in those zones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

You can start Forochel at 42. Eregion is startable at 44. You'll have a bunch of orange enemies and maybe an occasional red but it's doable and better than Angmar.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Angmar rules, FreezinHell drools.

The three raids in Angmar are worth the price of admission themselves.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
I ended up throwing some turbine coins into Misty Mountains, and really enjoying that zone so far. No regrets. I rubberband like crazy today though :(

//ProgressReport: 45,4. Enjoying the world and taking it slow.
(Hey, wait - 45! I should probably look into Moria right now...)

Appropriate :D

Lars fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 14, 2016

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
Transfers are open again. It automatically put in me in the kinship, that was cool.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Lagging and rubberbanding like crazy in Rivendell despite my 81ms latency. NPCs are skipping as they walk along their paths. I thought this new hardware was supposed to fix the lag?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lars posted:

I ended up throwing some turbine coins into Misty Mountains, and really enjoying that zone so far. No regrets. I rubberband like crazy today though :(

//ProgressReport: 45,4. Enjoying the world and taking it slow.
(Hey, wait - 45! I should probably look into Moria right now...)

Appropriate :D

If you're 45 drop whatever you're doing and head to Moria. Once you finish the Moria intro and have your pair of starter LIs you can go back to whatever you were doing (or start Eregion if you haven't yet). Moria's still one of the best areas, if not the best. The instances are fun and Grand Stair has 22 or so quests so you can get a full level and change from those, especially if you use an XP pot and/or turn them in on a welcome back weekend.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're 45 drop whatever you're doing and head to Moria. Once you finish the Moria intro and have your pair of starter LIs you can go back to whatever you were doing (or start Eregion if you haven't yet). Moria's still one of the best areas, if not the best. The instances are fun and Grand Stair has 22 or so quests so you can get a full level and change from those, especially if you use an XP pot and/or turn them in on a welcome back weekend.

Yup, 46 and got my LI staff. Just finishing up NE Misty, and I'll be on my way to Foroshel for just another level - then starting Eregion. :)

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

ruffz posted:

Lagging and rubberbanding like crazy in Rivendell despite my 81ms latency. NPCs are skipping as they walk along their paths. I thought this new hardware was supposed to fix the lag?

It is - but I think there are some server interconnects that was poorly set up - it seem like when you transfer zones (that might reside on another server) or go into an instance, the transfer either messes up and you freeze in place, or you enter a server with heavy load. I mean, I got into a 1 NPC instance in MM and I got the reduced awareness notice.

Still pretty poor that they didn't stresstest the new datacenter enough, but datacenters can be a tough setup with a lot of moving parts - esp. if they are "old".

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Finally have some time to play, and now the servers are down. Again. Please come back, server.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lars posted:

Yup, 46 and got my LI staff. Just finishing up NE Misty, and I'll be on my way to Foroshel for just another level - then starting Eregion. :)

You should have two LIs, not just a staff. I think the 2nd one is given by going inside Moria and talking to someone at the entrance. Unless LM is weird and only gets one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This game is dead pretty when you turn all the graphics up.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Finally wrapped up Lone-Lands today (thank you hoboknife for the run through GA and getting the Troll-slayer deed done!). I liked the tone of the zone a lot, a sparsely-populated frontier somewhat perplexingly covered in swamps and yet very dry overall. After adventuring in Bree fighting bandits, it becomes clear much more powerful and organized forces are building in the wilderness nearby. Those poor Eglain are hopelessly outgunned in the face of it, so you feel especially good helping them out. By far my favorite location in my new play-through has got to be Agamaur, the Red Swamp. Such a moody and well done area, getting across a strong sense of both decay and malevolence, which are also the themes of the Red Maid you eventually confront.

My favorite quest is where you and Radagast wander around the swamp and eventually encounter Ivar. Not only is he an extremely powerful individual as he single-handedly kills epic monsters and walks around with 20k morale, but he also stops to chat with animals along the way and gets a good train of them by the end. Its a good framing moment for the game and your place in it - no matter how many orcs you've killed, the Wizards are in a class all of their own (at least at level 30) as far as power goes.

Next up is North Downs. Trollshaws is tempting because I'd like to see a lot more green right now, but this is the way its gotta be!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

North Downs is pretty green and is cool since it puts you in the thick of battle. Also the swamps aren't so weird when you realize they somehow border a river on the Lonelands eastern fringe.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Bramble posted:

Finally wrapped up Lone-Lands today (thank you hoboknife for the run through GA and getting the Troll-slayer deed done!). I liked the tone of the zone a lot, a sparsely-populated frontier somewhat perplexingly covered in swamps and yet very dry overall. After adventuring in Bree fighting bandits, it becomes clear much more powerful and organized forces are building in the wilderness nearby. Those poor Eglain are hopelessly outgunned in the face of it, so you feel especially good helping them out. By far my favorite location in my new play-through has got to be Agamaur, the Red Swamp. Such a moody and well done area, getting across a strong sense of both decay and malevolence, which are also the themes of the Red Maid you eventually confront.

My favorite quest is where you and Radagast wander around the swamp and eventually encounter Ivar. Not only is he an extremely powerful individual as he single-handedly kills epic monsters and walks around with 20k morale, but he also stops to chat with animals along the way and gets a good train of them by the end. Its a good framing moment for the game and your place in it - no matter how many orcs you've killed, the Wizards are in a class all of their own (at least at level 30) as far as power goes.

Next up is North Downs. Trollshaws is tempting because I'd like to see a lot more green right now, but this is the way its gotta be!

I agree with everything in this post. This feeling of helping people who are completely outgunned is really strong while playing. You simply can't beat the atmosphere of LOTRO, thanks to its foreboding Middle-Earth setting. It's amazing how much fun I am having once again. It probably helps that I never played anything but my LM from launch through Moria. There were no alts. Which means everything feels familiar (I enter a zone and instantly remember its layout and landmarks) but fresh at the same time. I hit 36 yesterday, and it was a funny moment when I realized that hitting 50 won't be the end of the road, that there are 64 levels to go. That means I am going to hit tons of completely new content rather soon, which I am really looking forward to.

Also, I am constantly amazed how pretty this game is. After I realized that my laptop fans will make a lot of noise no matter what, I cranked the graphic settings back up again, and it's so worth it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 18, 2016

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Jack's Flow posted:

Also, I am constantly amazed how pretty this game is. After I realized that my laptop fans will make a lot of noise no matter what, I cranked the graphic settings back up again, and it's so worth it.

It's simply beautiful. It's the best part.. so much atmosphere. I'm on level 48 with my LM now if any of you need help on the way up (like the lovely parts of Annuminas). I'm camped out in Goblin Town at the moment, but will likely be moving on to Foroshel/Eregion in a matter of 2-3 quests.

Lars fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 18, 2016

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

As said earlier, the isolation you feel in zones like Evendim, North Downs, LL, and Trollshaws is what makes such a peculiarly satisfying ambience and game experience. by the time you reach Rivendell or Esteldin there's a relief which is hard to replicate in an MMO. It's what makes this game so great.

Maybe I'm engaging in some chronological snobbery here, but I really don't think southern Eriador and Rohan do a good job of this. I just don't get the same feeling - when you are finished with one town, jump to the next, kill some orcs, help the townspeople, head off for the next town, lather, rinse, repeat.

Question for some of you: I iust hit 83, and I'm finding myself growing pretty tired of Sutcrofts (I'm in Garsfeld ATM). Is there anything compelling in the Sutcrofts quest chain /Hytbold quests, or should I just pick up with the epic quest in Broadacres?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ignore Hytbolt, it's awful and I can't imagine doing that grind now that it's not level capped content.

Rohan's atmosphere is hit and miss. Helm's Deep is neat at times but it also has some repetition, including moving from town to town.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
For me it was Moria. I don't think any other area in the game has quite the feel of Moria. And for some reason I always like Eregion...has that kinda stepping through history feel to it.

BTW if people ever need help running a lower level instance, I can certainly help out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cnidario posted:

As said earlier, the isolation you feel in zones like Evendim, North Downs, LL, and Trollshaws is what makes such a peculiarly satisfying ambience and game experience. by the time you reach Rivendell or Esteldin there's a relief which is hard to replicate in an MMO. It's what makes this game so great.

Maybe I'm engaging in some chronological snobbery here, but I really don't think southern Eriador and Rohan do a good job of this. I just don't get the same feeling - when you are finished with one town, jump to the next, kill some orcs, help the townspeople, head off for the next town, lather, rinse, repeat.

Question for some of you: I iust hit 83, and I'm finding myself growing pretty tired of Sutcrofts (I'm in Garsfeld ATM). Is there anything compelling in the Sutcrofts quest chain /Hytbold quests, or should I just pick up with the epic quest in Broadacres?

I would suggest just move on through Rohan asap, I didn't care for the area. Wildermore isn't too bad if you can be bothered/have it at 85. Otherwise just push on through and get to Gondor.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm really liking Mirkwood, should I keep doing that or Eregion?

(I realize I kind of answered that with the "I'm really liking" part of the sentence plus well, epic book quests anyway, but I'm still in just the opening instance elves-hitting-the-beach stage)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
And I am back to being stuck right here:

It worked fine the whole weekend. So that's something. I guess.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

And I am back to being stuck right here:

It worked fine the whole weekend. So that's something. I guess.

I've been losing connection to the server and getting kicked out mid-game. I'm having some problems as well!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Lum_ posted:

I'm really liking Mirkwood, should I keep doing that or Eregion?

(I realize I kind of answered that with the "I'm really liking" part of the sentence plus well, epic book quests anyway, but I'm still in just the opening instance elves-hitting-the-beach stage)

Uh, Mirkwood and Eregion don't overlap in level ranges... do you mean Enedwaith perhaps? If so, I would just keep doing Mirkwood if you like it, they are both pretty easy and well-organized for doing quests.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I took a look at the LOTRO store today (while planting apple trees), and now I've got a question about those cosmetic outfits they are selling. Are all of those items only available via the store? Or do they also come as quest rewards or from loot-boxes over the course of the game?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Jack's Flow posted:

I took a look at the LOTRO store today (while planting apple trees), and now I've got a question about those cosmetic outfits they are selling. Are all of those items only available via the store? Or do they also come as quest rewards or from loot-boxes over the course of the game?

Not certain, but they are labeled *exclusive* in the store, so I would assume they are?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lars posted:

Not certain, but they are labeled *exclusive* in the store, so I would assume they are?

See, I stared at that stuff for 20 minutes, but never read the word "exclusive". It was late. In the Shire.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Jack's Flow posted:

See, I stared at that stuff for 20 minutes, but never read the word "exclusive". It was late. In the Shire.

Too much Old Toby.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

flowinprose posted:

Uh, Mirkwood and Eregion don't overlap in level ranges... do you mean Enedwaith perhaps? If so, I would just keep doing Mirkwood if you like it, they are both pretty easy and well-organized for doing quests.

Yeah, I did mean Enedwaith. Just wondering if there was a "gotcha" area I should avoid (kind of like Hytboldt). I'm consistently about 5 levels over the recommended level for the content anyway (thanks Moria!) plus being a man-bear-pig means most things are easy.

(plus as a man-bear I can just make honey cakes while NPCs drone on at each other during quests.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, I did mean Enedwaith. Just wondering if there was a "gotcha" area I should avoid (kind of like Hytboldt). I'm consistently about 5 levels over the recommended level for the content anyway (thanks Moria!) plus being a man-bear-pig means most things are easy.

(plus as a man-bear I can just make honey cakes while NPCs drone on at each other during quests.)

You should be 3/4/5 levels below content for optimal fun. More if you ever team up with a friend and/or random.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Update 17.2 is in meaning come 1v1 me mothrfuckrs see what happens

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594805-Update-17-2-Release-Notes

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

There was an old Mines of Moria LOTRO box at my local thrift store last week, still has all its inserts. I don't know if the expansion code has been used, but I'm not sure I can test it since I have that expansion, so I'm willing to give it to a newer player who's approaching level 50 and enjoying the game so far.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
I'll throw my hat into the ring for the expansion pack. I started playing some around this time last year and loved it, but I didn't end up having a lot of time to play and put it down for a while. I just started back up again a few days ago and even transferred to Landroval to play with goons. I'm nowhere near level 50, so if someone who is pops up, it's all theirs. Otherwise though, I'm very interested.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Did the "place fish under window" quest in Tāl Bruinen today, and man, when Gollum appeared for some juicy fishes, I couldn't help myself, I was grinning like an idiot. Somehow I totally missed that quest eight years ago. I love these little touches and nods.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
here's a nod for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Is there any interest in doing Helegrod, Goblin Throne Room, Cairn Dun? I'm approaching 50 fast soloing but I would love to see some group content. (Or would somebody take me on a guided tour with a 100 or 2?)