Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

isn't Nioh Team Ninja? wonder if it will be Ninja Gaidenish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool that Ni-Oh was the first PS3 game ever announced for release and now it's actually coming out, 10 years later.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
i'm excited to be a ps4 owner ITYOOL 2016

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

imagine if the Lords of the Fallen guys actually end up making a good scifi souls game..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kinda surprised that it's been 7 years and there's only been one notable attempt to imitate the Souls games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

i sometimes wonder how much monster hunter/souls/dragons dogma influence each other

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster hunter was big influencing both I think

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

yeah, I think it probably goes:

monster hunter -> souls
                \                   \
                  ------------------------> dogema

also why don't people make more games like all of these games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People draw that Monster Hunter - Souls comparison out a lot and I just don't see it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
exploration based game w/ animation centered combat is extremely win, but apparently hard to do correctly

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's the combat for me. Movesets from many of the weapons in Souls/Borne remind me of Monster Hunter. The frame or animation based combat, the hitstun and timing, feels similar when I'm running around fighting stuff. Also, it has the same phenomenon where a once seemingly impossible fight becomes easy.

I see similarities in the combat but probably not the appeal, since a big part of the From games is exploring and their crazy lore and Monster Hunter doesn't do it for me there

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

imagine if the Lords of the Fallen guys actually end up making a good scifi souls game..

its surpising that no one has really tried to copy the souls style games yet outside of lords of the fallen.

i want to check out lords of the fallen at some point

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I'm kinda surprised that it's been 7 years and there's only been one notable attempt to imitate the Souls games.

oops this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

exploration based game w/ animation centered combat is extremely win, but apparently hard to do correctly

Yeah it's probably a nightmare (lol) to actually get it right

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tumor looking batty posted:

its surpising that no one has really tried to copy the souls style games yet outside of lords of the fallen.

i want to check out lords of the fallen at some point

it's okay

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

Oh and written by Akira Kurosawa

holy sh*t really?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

crunk dork posted:

holy sh*t really?

Yeah it was one of the last things he was working on before he died. It was completed by his son

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also originally a licensed game based on the movie, but the movie never actually came out so now it's just a game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Yeah it's probably a nightmare (lol) to actually get it right

dark souls 2 is still a pretty good game, but it gets a lot of aspects of the formula wrong, especially with regards to combat / hitboxes / enemy movesets. and that's a group of devs who are experienced in the formula, too.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, DS2 feels very uneven. I'm playing through SoFTs now and just started doing the DLC after talking to the ancient dragon. The DLC seems AWESOME but I'm a little exhausted after playing DS2 right after bloodborne and frankly I wish they had just cut some of the older areas and made the game a little shorter.

Like for example doing the dragon's aerie with the mummies that destroy your equipment :jerkingoffmotion:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
drat dsfix is cool and I haven't fallen through the map yet at 60fps.

Dec 26, 2012

sliding down ladders does it occasionally. also it makes your jumps shorter for some reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah be careful around ladders and any time you jump

Dec 26, 2012

you can toggle it with, i think backspace? just do that whenever you need to jump somewhere to be sure

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Does anyone know if it messes with online stuff? I'm trying to get summoned before the fire sage demon in the ruins and I haven't gotten one hit in like half an hour of waiting

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

There's a ladder in the undead parish that can gently caress you up, but I've never had it happen anywhere else. and no it doesnt mess with connectivity

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

haha a guy coded an AI for Dark Souls pvp. fuckin cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrB8jJ4oGU

thats cool. i wanna fight it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive heard nothing but bad things about lords of the fallen, apparently you become super OP fairly early on in the worst way

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
om i accidentally killed Adeline or whatever. Is there any way to still get the milkweed rune or am i hosed this run

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

crunk dork posted:

drat dsfix is cool and I haven't fallen through the map yet at 60fps.
Turn it off if you ever need to jump somewhere - it totally fucks with jumps.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I want to find the guy that made Iron Passage and toss him off a cliff.

Dec 26, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

this except whoever redesigned iron keep as a whole in the new version

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Turn it off if you ever need to jump somewhere - it totally fucks with jumps.

I kind of want to see what it looks like but i don't want it to happen at an important time

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Wasn't there an issue with it where it ruined durability of gear because they thought it would be a good idea to tie the FPS to wear on equipment or am I thinking of DS2 for PC?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

small hendren posted:

om i accidentally killed Adeline or whatever. Is there any way to still get the milkweed rune or am i hosed this run

I think you have to wait until ng+ to get the broccoli head now but it seems like its only really good if you leveled arcane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Wasn't there an issue with it where it ruined durability of gear because they thought it would be a good idea to tie the FPS to wear on equipment or am I thinking of DS2 for PC?

It was DS2 on PC and then they kept it the same in the PS4 versions and said it was never a bug and durability was always intended to be faster like that. To encourage weapon swapping, or as another balance option.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

It was DS2 on PC and then they kept it the same in the PS4 versions and said it was never a bug and durability was always intended to be faster like that. To encourage weapon swapping, or as another balance option.

That's been fixed, fortunately.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

iron passage is cool, imo, since it's really really claustrophobic, and gives the sense that you're worming your way through a hostile gauntlet of lightning bolts and leaping hollows with giant axes.

also top tier invasion spot, btw.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

crunk dork posted:

I kind of want to see what it looks like but i don't want it to happen at an important time

Oh, you just jump like half the distance at 60fps, its not like you actually clip through anything. Hit backspace to toggle it on/off and brace your eyes for the frameyness

btw the second best thing about DSfix is the ability to turn off the unskippable bandai namco logo when you launch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

a bay posted:

I think you have to wait until ng+ to get the broccoli head now but it seems like its only really good if you leveled arcane

Yeah I figured as much. Oh well