Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Searzall's email autoreply says they'll be back in stock "the second week of January".

Jan 2015???? They didn't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh look a customer emailed me about my $1000 searzall

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Seems legit.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

Searzall's email autoreply says they'll be back in stock "the second week of January".

Jan 2015???? They didn't say.

:siren: A human replied: :siren:

quote:

Amazon is currently holding all Searzalls as the holiday was extremely busy for them and they couldn't restock in time. They claim they'll be in stock the second week of January.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
The jerks still haven't gotten back to me about my missing screw!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sansaire arrived, container arrived.
Cooking some cheap as hell pork tenderloins at 57c for the next two hours. I'm pretty giddy to see what's it like.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

Sansaire arrived, container arrived.
Cooking some cheap as hell pork tenderloins at 57c for the next two hours. I'm pretty giddy to see what's it like.

Should be some pretty great stuff, pork tenderloin is what sous vide is made for. Don't fear the pink!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pork at 134f? I don't think I've ever had it that low. Not sure I'd like the texture.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pork at 134f? I don't think I've ever had it that low. Not sure I'd like the texture.

It's very soft, not for everyone though. I like chicken sashimi though, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I can confirm it isn't great. Pork need higher temperatures.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can confirm it isn't great. Pork need higher temperatures.

Hmm yeah, I'm going to agree a bit.

The first two hits for "pork tenderloin sous vide" said to go for 57c/2 hours so I went with that.
While it actually tastes really good and the texture is soft and slightly chewy, I think I'd prefer it a smidge higher next time.

Definitely would have to sear it on the pan once it's done if I had to serve it to guests to avoid it looking like a poop log with blood (chili flakes) smears.
And still it came out better than the oven baking I'd previously tried.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 7, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mango Polo posted:

looking like a poop log with blood (chili flakes) smears.

I know what I'm making for halloween this year!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I'm not that crazy about tenderloin at that temperature, but I regularly do pork chops at 55 C and finish with a sear.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

So my Anova One's impeller is really off center, to the point where I hear it grind for a bit and then stop completely. Is there an easy fix for this or should I just call customer support for an exchange?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
That looks similar to mine, are you sure you're sitting the shroud completely in it's place?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Edit: OK, figured it out. The new container I was using had slightly sloping sides that were pushing against the shroud. Thanks for the help

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 8, 2016

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Any good recommendations for a searing pan? My kitchen has poor ventilation, so even when I thoroughly dry meat and use a high smoke point cook oil, like grapeseed, my kitchen can still get really smokey. I used Calphalon Unison Sear Non-stick Grill Pan, which did a decent job of searing and reducing smoke, but it got warped over time and I had to get rid of it. I've been trying to use a tri-ply stainless steel pan and with or without a lid, it produces quite a bit of smoke. I know some smoke is inevitable, but are there any good searing/grilling pans out there that don't produce too much smoke? I can always get another one of the Calphalon pans, but I wouldn't mind getting something better. I'd love to tryout a Searzall, just not comfortable using it in my current kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Enameled cast iron is probably ideal, since it won't generate smoke on its own like regular cast iron will, and it's heavy so it will store a lot of heat and get the searing done quicker, also cutting down on smoke generated by the steak.

You can find cheap ones at Target.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Steve Yun posted:

Enameled cast iron is probably ideal, since it won't generate smoke on its own like regular cast iron will, and it's heavy so it will store a lot of heat and get the searing done quicker, also cutting down on smoke generated by the steak.

You can find cheap ones at Target.

Nice, I'll pick one up.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
Is there a consensus on time and temp for flank steak? I'm looking around online and I've seen anywhere from 131-136* for 2-24 hours... the cut I have is 1.75lbs and roughly 2" thick. Thanks!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Protip: don't bother cooking flank cut short ribs sous vide

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So I got an ANOVA for Christmas and decided to make some fish as a first go. I bought some catfish and ran it at 132F for about 45 min. Seasoning and flavor was really nice, soft texture, Slightly flaky. At the end I decided to put it under the broiler to brown up the top. While this made the top nice and crispy, the smell through my house was unbearable...

What the hell did I do wrong?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What the hell did I do wrong?

Catfish can be a very fishy fish.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I did a 48 hour chuck roast that turned out very nice but the problem is I have no idea what to do with the remaining ~2.5 pounds of this meat after I've stuffed my fat goon face. Is there a good way to fridge/freeze and then reheat this stuff and keep it tender?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AnonSpore posted:

I did a 48 hour chuck roast that turned out very nice but the problem is I have no idea what to do with the remaining ~2.5 pounds of this meat after I've stuffed my fat goon face. Is there a good way to fridge/freeze and then reheat this stuff and keep it tender?

Just fridge or freeze and reheat to whatever temp in your water bath for service. The cooking process and collagen breakdown have already happened, now it's a case of re-thermalization.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Or, you could have me over for sandwiches...

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Anybody have an recommendations for a DIY sous vide? Or have any ideas which would make a great machine? I already have the Anova, and I love it, but I wanna make a sous vide that has a low profile, as well as being able to access on my phone. The idea came about because I wanted to have the ability to put my dinner in an ice bath in the morning, and then I can turn on the machine while at school, so it would be ready when I get home

I'm currently going to to a trades school as a machinist, so I have access to all the metal working, woodworking, and electronics disciplines to create this machine. The sky is the limit. I was thinking of creating a double hulled steel enclosure similar to the sous vide supreme. Or maybe just use a ceramic pot and then fabricate a lid with all the necessary electronics a part of it. I would be using rasberry pi and arduino (something I've just recently have been introduced to) for the controls

If anybody is serious about helping me out with this, I would be willing to fabricate the final product (aside from eletronics) and ship a few out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Um... are you asking us how to go about making a Mellow? Because the guy that worked on the Mellow, and is currently prepping Mellow for it's rollout posts in this thread.

I mean, he probably would have some very good tips on building a Mellow, but I'm not 100% certain he would support you in your venture.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Captain Bravo posted:

Um... are you asking us how to go about making a Mellow? Because the guy that worked on the Mellow, and is currently prepping Mellow for it's rollout posts in this thread.

I mean, he probably would have some very good tips on building a Mellow, but I'm not 100% certain he would support you in your venture.

I just looked that up. It's an amazing device, and way out of the league of what I would be building. On the other hand, I would like to have all the same features, without the cooling capabilities. I don't mean to step on anybody toes. What I'm building would require a lot of labor and skill from the individual to create. This is meant as a student project, not a production piece.

What I'm going to be creating is something very similar to existing DIY projects (slow cookers, rice cookers, cooler with added heater, etc). But most of these projects have wires going everywhere and generally look like crap. And I have no idea which type of enclosure/heater/pump combo works the best.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

never happy posted:

Anybody have an recommendations for a DIY sous vide? Or have any ideas which would make a great machine? I already have the Anova, and I love it, but I wanna make a sous vide that has a low profile, as well as being able to access on my phone. The idea came about because I wanted to have the ability to put my dinner in an ice bath in the morning, and then I can turn on the machine while at school, so it would be ready when I get home

I'm currently going to to a trades school as a machinist, so I have access to all the metal working, woodworking, and electronics disciplines to create this machine. The sky is the limit. I was thinking of creating a double hulled steel enclosure similar to the sous vide supreme. Or maybe just use a ceramic pot and then fabricate a lid with all the necessary electronics a part of it. I would be using rasberry pi and arduino (something I've just recently have been introduced to) for the controls

If anybody is serious about helping me out with this, I would be willing to fabricate the final product (aside from eletronics) and ship a few out.

You could probably forgo the raspberry pi - Arduino is plenty smart for what you'd need to be doing unless you also want to run minecraft on your sous vide rig.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
About 10 hours into a 24 hour pork shoulder, came back and noticed that the seal on the bag had broken and there is air around the top of the shoulder. Is that a safety issue or should it be fine given that it's still at 71 Celsius?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That should be fine - in longer, hotter cooks, I've gotten some bubbles even without the seal having been lost, just from air and water vapor expanding.

EDIT: Brisket at 144f/30hours: good idea or bad idea?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dirk the Average posted:

About 10 hours into a 24 hour pork shoulder, came back and noticed that the seal on the bag had broken and there is air around the top of the shoulder. Is that a safety issue or should it be fine given that it's still at 71 Celsius?

It's fine, just reseal it so water doesn't start getting in.

a foolish pianist posted:

EDIT: Brisket at 144f/30hours: good idea or bad idea?

I like brisket at 160; lower temps just don't produce a classic brisket texture, IMO. But this is entirely subjective and the only way to know what you'll like is to experiment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I picked up a pork shoulder myself the other day, noticed most people will just make pulled pork out of it. Is that the accepted thing to do? Saw some other posts about cooking it medium rare like a pork chop.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AnonSpore posted:

I picked up a pork shoulder myself the other day, noticed most people will just make pulled pork out of it. Is that the accepted thing to do? Saw some other posts about cooking it medium rare like a pork chop.

I did the same thing and made pulled pork that turned out quite nicely. Haven't tried medium rare, but I'd be a bit wary to do so just because of how thick the cut is. In my opinion, you're better off doing medium rare + searing on a thinner piece of meat.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

AnonSpore posted:

Roast that butt.

:flashfap:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
A contender appears!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
OMG first my game consoles needed software updates and then my phone and now my immersion circulator

Anyways, post your review when you get a chance, I'm curious to know how it is

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Is my Anova faulty? Started with roughly 110F water, been waiting nearly an hour for it to get to 165F. It's 163F now so I only have a little bit longer to go, but then I still have an hour of cooking in front of me. I know the Anova One heats faster but this isn't normal, right? I don't have any windows open or other ways for super cold air to get into the room.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

DARPA Dad posted:

Is my Anova faulty? Started with roughly 110F water, been waiting nearly an hour for it to get to 165F. It's 163F now so I only have a little bit longer to go, but then I still have an hour of cooking in front of me. I know the Anova One heats faster but this isn't normal, right? I don't have any windows or other ways for super cold air to get into the room.

If your container isn't covered, it's going to take a long time to get to high temps and a lot of energy to keep the water there. I use a cooler with a corner of the lid cut out for mine, and it works great, but in an open metal container, it's rather less great.