Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Once I was at a party (I had brought a bowl of punch) and then another guest brought the hostess a bottle of Chartreuse as a present (they both had excellent taste). An hour or so later, the hostess started going around with a tray of shots of green Chartreuse. Then things started to get weird.

That was a pretty fun party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A lovely drink but still, this should happen:

Change the name of Jack & Coke to "Lemmy".

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I like the sentiment, but I'm 100% sure that's fake. Weird font, artifacts, the fact that you don't shake and strain a Jack & Coke, and the fact that if you did your shaker would just explode in a torrent of fizz. There's no mention of it whatsoever on the Food & Beverage website, but that hasn't stopped a bunch of metal websites running the story.

edit: Well, gently caress, I'm wrong. That's insane.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 13, 2016

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My sister got me a bottle of pomegranate molasses for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into cocktails. It has the consistency of warm honey and a color of day-old blood. It's sweet but not like grenadine and it doesn't seem to do what I want it to do when added to drinks. Is there some minor prep I can do to turn this into a good grenadine?

Death & Co has a recipe for a Margarita variant called Short Rib with 2 oz jalapeno-infused blanco tequila, 3/4 oz lime, 1 oz simple and 3/4 teaspoon pomegranate molasses. A terrible name but it's really good, even with lovely and uninfused tequila (I've been using it to kill a bottle of Jose Cuervo abandoned in my house).

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wachter posted:

I like the sentiment, but I'm 100% sure that's fake. Weird font, artifacts, the fact that you don't shake and strain a Jack & Coke, and the fact that if you did your shaker would just explode in a torrent of fizz. There's no mention of it whatsoever on the Food & Beverage website, but that hasn't stopped a bunch of metal websites running the story.

edit: Well, gently caress, I'm wrong. That's insane.

I didn't even look at the recipe; that is pretty hosed up. Although I have heard of people preferring flat cola in their drink, I can't imagine someone shaking up ten ounces of it. Perhaps it's an elaborate troll designed to give rubes the ol' wet head?

But yeah, even if that article was fake I'll probably still use the term "Lemmy" for a Jack and Cola forevermore.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Do people really put bitters in a jack and coke? Also do people really drink 10 oz of coke in it?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Do people really put bitters in a jack and coke? Also do people really drink 10 oz of coke in it?

Bitters in everything, and I only use 10 oz of coke if I'm using 10 oz of whiskey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

slut chan posted:

Bitters in everything

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tried bitters in a G&T, confirmed awesome.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
List of simple highballs that aren't improved by bitters:

- probably some stuff with fruit juice in it but obviously not pineapple or grapefruit or

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tried bitters in a G&T, confirmed awesome.

That does indeed sounds delicious.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I can second that. I don't take mine without. Bittermens' Hopped Grapefruit are especially good.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Scrappys cardamom bitters in a negroni is my favorite thing.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of the Leopold Brothers apertivo tonight and made two Negronis as a test to see how it compares to Campari. No oranges in the house so I used a dash of Regans No. 5 bitters. Overall the results were similar but I think that the Leopold's is a little richer and more medicinal than the Campari. I have always thought that the sweetness/bitterness combination in Campari tasted sort of artificial and the Leopold's didn't have that at all. Color in the Leopold's is little less vibrant red than the Campari, but that's because they use the natural cochineal from the beetle shells. I favor the Leopold's, but the results are so similar that I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Some friends were visiting from out of town last week and one of them asked a bartender to make a spritzer that a friend of his used to order but he hadn't tried in a long time. I'm curious if this is a common thing somewhere that people have heard of or if it is close to a known cocktail. It was essentially frangelico, lime juice, and soda. The bar didn't have frangelico so they substituted homemade orgeat. Then they experimented with adding Amari and other liquors to it to make it a little more of a real drink. I thought it was certainly interesting if not the sort of thing I'd order regularly.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought a bottle of the Leopold Brothers apertivo tonight and made two Negronis as a test to see how it compares to Campari. No oranges in the house so I used a dash of Regans No. 5 bitters. Overall the results were similar but I think that the Leopold's is a little richer and more medicinal than the Campari. I have always thought that the sweetness/bitterness combination in Campari tasted sort of artificial and the Leopold's didn't have that at all. Color in the Leopold's is little less vibrant red than the Campari, but that's because they use the natural cochineal from the beetle shells. I favor the Leopold's, but the results are so similar that I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for posting this. I was going to go out of my way to get some Leopold Brothers but there are probably other things I could spend that on that would be bigger steps up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I find Leopolds to be far superior with very different botanticals - heavy on grapefruit and bitter orange. Steps up your Boulevardier game like crazy. I'd definitely, definitely pick up a bottle.

Should be pretty cheap, anyhow. I pay $19 through my distributor.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I find Leopolds to be far superior with very different botanticals - heavy on grapefruit and bitter orange. Steps up your Boulevardier game like crazy. I'd definitely, definitely pick up a bottle.

Should be pretty cheap, anyhow. I pay $19 through my distributor.

$43 for .75L for a bar in NC, jesus christ

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I tried a sip of my barrel aged vieux and I have to say it is going to be Delicioustm

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Maestro posted:

Scrappys cardamom bitters in a negroni is my favorite thing.

Trying this.

And to continue bitterschat, try a chocolate bitters in a Boulevardier (also try a peated scotch rinse).

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Wachter posted:

try a chocolate bitters in a Boulevardier

Also known as a Left Hand.

My contribution is try adding some coffee liqueur to a Boulevardier. I call it The Other Left.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Hebug posted:

Also known as a Left Hand.

My contribution is try adding some coffee liqueur to a Boulevardier. I call it The Other Left.

Nice; gotta try that. How much coffee liqueur are we talking?

I wonder if you could work Chartreuse in there too. No, Your Other Left.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'll open the conversation no one wants to have- how do you make your bloody Mary's? I'm looking for new things to try.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Clamato cocktail, lime juice, Vietnamese fish sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire, celery seed-everclear infusion, hot sauce (not Tabasco, something more Mexican style like Yucateco or Cholula)

I've been wondering how to get horseradish involved. Fresh grate a whole root? I like the celery seed infusion because it tastes like Old Bay but it's all liquid and no added salt, plenty of salt in the other ingredients. I haven't had commercial celery bitters to compare, should probably pick some up.

I realize Clamato makes it a Caesar but I find it's not dramatically different, the other ingredients you choose make a bigger difference.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Wachter posted:

Nice; gotta try that. How much coffee liqueur are we talking?

I wonder if you could work Chartreuse in there too. No, Your Other Left.

I just use a quarter oz.

1.75 oz bulleit bourbon
0.75 oz campari
0.5 oz sweet vermouth (dolin or carpano depending on how I feel)
0.25 oz st george nola coffee liqueur
stir strain orange twist

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The Hebug posted:

I just use a quarter oz.

1.75 oz bulleit bourbon
0.75 oz campari
0.5 oz sweet vermouth (dolin or carpano depending on how I feel)
0.25 oz st george nola coffee liqueur
stir strain orange twist

Sounds amazing. I did a similar repo tequila drink.

El Padrino
1 dash fees Aztec chocolate bitters
2 dash regans no 6 orange
.25 oz st George nola coffee liqueur
.5 oz grand poppy liqueur
.5 oz carpano antica
2 oz espolón reposado tequila
Stir, big cube, orange twist

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It took me so many years of drinking to figure out vermouth pairs insanely well with coffee and if I could go back in one and give one pro tip to my younger self that would be it

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

It took me so many years of drinking to figure out vermouth pairs insanely well with coffee and if I could go back in one and give one pro tip to my younger self that would be it

Sweet, blanc, dry, or to taste?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Chartreuse in your coffee, hon.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

royalejest posted:

Sweet, blanc, dry, or to taste?

I've never tried dry or Lillet with coffee flavours and off the top of my head I wanna say it's only sweet vermouth that works but don't let me live your life for you

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Well now I know what's going in my morning cup tomorrow

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah that sounds good as hell

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
what should I do with that green chartreuse I got?

The simpler the drink the better. I have a very limited inventory (triple sec, rhum, vodka. gin and whisky is pretty much all I have), Do I need more or is something like gin + chartreuse and some syrup a thing

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
probably just make a billion last words and get real drunk and fall in love with the drink and whenever you hear anyone ask for a suggestion for a liqueur tell them to buy green chartreuse and basically proselytize for the drink every single time you make or drink cocktails like the rest of us do

equal parts gin/lime/chartreuse/maraschino if you haven't already absorbed the recipe through the thread hive-mind, works really well with mezcal as a base and I used to use a peated irish whisky as the base to incredible result as well if you wanna get a little weird with it, any really ballsy spirit that is overtaking every other cocktail you try to use it in will probably work an absolute treat, I used to work at a gin bar that had like 150 gins and they had this saffron gin was useless in almost any cocktail but holy poo poo did it make an amazing last word

I literally can't think of any other good drinks with the Green off the top of my head. They absolutely exist but this is THE drink, y'know? Don't try to sub Green for yellow, they tend to not replace each other very well imo

Since you don't have maraschino, I'd really recommend it as a sipping liqueur for now, luxardo is the gold standard if you ever get around to picking some up, but I have used cheap bad brands in last words before and they were fine just because of the sheer presence the chartreuse has and I probably wouldn't even be able to notice if I hadn't made it but ymmv on that one. You may even be able to replace it with simple to some extent but I would not be willing to put my Internet Credibility on the line for that one

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you favor doing something insane, consider making an Improved Chartreuse Swizzle. I've done this exactly once, and it was loving incredible. Expensive though.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I've had that it's friggin amazing and it also reminded me that atomic daiquiris are a thing as well, equal parts op rum lime and chartreuse with a decent bump of falernum and you can substitute any lighter rum with some character to it if buying wray and nephew is off the table for now

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

The Maestro posted:

I like champs elyssees also.

Reposting this awesome Chartreuse drink. Good when you're sick of Last Words. Also good when limes are $35 a kilo where you live.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The even ratio of The Last Word cannot be messed with? That is a lot of Maraschino and Chartreuse to use.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

It sounds like a lot but somehow it comes out perfectly balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah don't gently caress with it until you've tried it at least once. It's pretty much perfect. I've not served it to anybody that hasn't liked it.