Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

A basic land would imply you could have more than 4, this isn't the case with wastes right?

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
They're like snow basics - you have to draft them into your deck, they rotate with the format, and you can play however many you want in a deck.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

I can assure you that smugly bringing up Collector's Edition cards doesn't contribute anything to the argument. Bringing up that there's a two year old article on the official Magic site suggesting you ask your LGS to run proxy tournaments, however, is a big deal.

A user on Reddit had this to say:

Some of that makes sense. Anyone from Wizards with the ability to comment on this at all is a robot who has to repeat the company line and nothing but that. I don't think there's a "wink" involved here at all though. Since no one's been suspended over this, had their WPN privileges taken away, or been explicitly threatened with either of those penalties, it's hard to say whether this Reddit person is right or if this "first warning" marks the start of Wizards actually enforcing their policy.

It doesn't really make that much sense. "Counterfeit" is a recognised legal concept. Things that are intended to confuse people into thinking they're real Magic cards are problems. Things that players are using for shorthand are completely different. If Wizards doesn't have a policy that differentiates between these things, that's on them, not on us for asking questions about an asinine policy.

You can't say "they have to because of the laws" and absolve the company of its abysmal customer communication skills. You can have Trick come out and say "if you're not using proxies to confuse people into thinking you're using real Magic cards you're ok". It's WotC's fault they won't do that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

BJPaskoff posted:

Some of that makes sense. Anyone from Wizards with the ability to comment on this at all is a robot who has to repeat the company line and nothing but that. I don't think there's a "wink" involved here at all though. Since no one's been suspended over this, had their WPN privileges taken away, or been explicitly threatened with either of those penalties, it's hard to say whether this Reddit person is right or if this "first warning" marks the start of Wizards actually enforcing their policy.

Silencing this discussion does nothing at this point though. Wizards has already committed to the "proxies are counterfeits, you wouldn't steal a car, think of the poor shareholders" narrative they're running with and clarifying their stance on legacy and vintage is desperately needed. VSL is a thing they advertise widely, but the amount of people who can actually participate in Vintage offline is staggeringly low. Cutting proxies from non-sanctioned events doesn't earn them more money as the cards being proxied are cards they no longer sell in any way, shape or form, while at the same time pushing their customer base towards the actual chinese counterfeiters because now you can no longer just write black lotus on a plains.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

BJPaskoff posted:

I can assure you that smugly bringing up Collector's Edition cards doesn't contribute anything to the argument. Bringing up that there's a two year old article on the official Magic site suggesting you ask your LGS to run proxy tournaments, however, is a big deal.

A user on Reddit had this to say:

quote:

quote:
Your problem lies in that you are asking too many questions. I'm being serious. Hear me out.

Essentially, they're saying that - though their official policy is strict on proxies and counterfeits - they REALLY don't care about them actually being used given that they're not Chinese Counterfeits. Like they really don't care, at all.

The original post was made to ONE gaming store that was a private communication. By blowing it up, they now have to reiterate their official policy and refuse you the plausible deniability that we are so often given. Now, instead of ignoring it/giving a "warning" when some douchebag who gets DQ'd reports a store for allowing proxies, they have to follow-through on their promise because we made this private email (which acts as a first warning to that specific LGS), very public (now a first warning to every LGS).

Essentially, when you ask about a policy, they are going to quote you the official policy (the one that protects them legally). NOT the plausible deniability that they give us between the lines.

By blowing this up, we're FORCING them to enforce certain policies that they don't really care to enforce because not doing so would hurt their ability to enforce it when it really matters (in the courts vs. Chinese counterfeiters for example).

tl;dr: In public, when you ask them, they have to quote official policy, but they're winking at you when doing so. If you don't get it, What Trick is saying is the official policy. What Helene is saying is the "Wink" (she's winking really hard). STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

This seems really spot on actually.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I think, "Stop asking about it, guys!" is a dumb position to take though. LGSes and people who care about them are going to want to know exactly what is and isn't allowed. If WotC want to be mealy mouthed about it, that's not really my problem. The idea that the community is forcing WotC's hand here and that if we'd all just shut up everything would be fine is naive.

That tweet from Helene is somewhat encouraging, but it still presents a problem for stores that run unsanctioned proxy events. Maybe players just need to start running them without the store's involvement? I can't see that being nearly as successful.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I am terribly disappointed that I seem to be the first one to do this:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of LGSs...

"gently caress you" ~WotC

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kylaer posted:

I am terribly disappointed that I seem to be the first one to do this:

There's a reason

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm gonna play a deck of 60 wastes, as performance art about the state of the game. Or modern man's place in a changing world and the necessary abandonment of romantic notions of art and thought. Oed’ und leer das Meer. HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME.

Or not. I dunno.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 13, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

That tweet from Helene is somewhat encouraging, but it still presents a problem for stores that run unsanctioned proxy events. Maybe players just need to start running them without the store's involvement? I can't see that being nearly as successful.

the problem with this is that it is very likely that Wizards will see any kind of Proxy Playing at a store as an event, whether or not the store ran it as an event or if the players just showed up without the store's involvement

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of LGSs...

Rip WOTC is doing things that effect [sic] many players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of LGSs...

oh cool i was right, guess i should have scrolled down

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Was this ever a question?

Among people who don't follow magic on forums and only show up for pre-releases and otherwise just play kitchen table magic? A million times yes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Among people who don't follow magic on forums and only show up for pre-releases and otherwise just play kitchen table magic? A million times yes.

quote:

10/1/2008: "Snow" has no particular meaning or rules associated with it.
10/1/2008: Since this is a basic land, you may have any number of it in a Constructed deck in any format in which the _Masters Edition II_ set, the _Coldsnap_ set, or the _Ice Age_ set is legal.
10/1/2008: In Limited events, you can't add basic snow lands to your deck from outside your card pool. You may add only lands named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest, as normal.
10/1/2008: Effects that target nonbasic lands can't target basic snow lands.
I mean the precedent is basically there, just replace snow with wastes and ignore anything about typing. Also wotc did say you'd have to draft your wastes to clear up that ambiguity.

Plus who hasn't played w/ skred in kitchen table magic that card owns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did they just add a new rule that says "basic lands with no subtype tap for colorless" or was that somehow always the case?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Did they just add a new rule that says "basic lands with no subtype tap for colorless" or was that somehow always the case?

What? Neither of that is true. Wastes is a Basic Land with the text "T: Add C to your mana pool", that's it.

"T: Add R to your mana pool" is an inherent thing with the land subtype "Mountain", not the other way around.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Zoness posted:

I mean the precedent is basically there, just replace snow with wastes and ignore anything about typing. Also wotc did say you'd have to draft your wastes to clear up that ambiguity.

The same language is basically on the Pre-Release deckbuilding sheets.

You cant pick up Wastes from a land station at the pre-release. You have to get them in your packs, they're seeded as common cards NOT basic land cards, and you have no guarantees to get any but I guess it's probably such that with the full art and the non-full art and 3 of each happening that you'll at least end up with 1 per pack.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cynic Jester posted:

Silencing this discussion does nothing at this point though. Wizards has already committed to the "proxies are counterfeits, you wouldn't steal a car, think of the poor shareholders" narrative they're running with and clarifying their stance on legacy and vintage is desperately needed. VSL is a thing they advertise widely, but the amount of people who can actually participate in Vintage offline is staggeringly low. Cutting proxies from non-sanctioned events doesn't earn them more money as the cards being proxied are cards they no longer sell in any way, shape or form, while at the same time pushing their customer base towards the actual chinese counterfeiters because now you can no longer just write black lotus on a plains.

Not letting people have casual games on a back table if they involve proxies is saying "go to card stores less!" too.

Is there a reason WoTC is letting SCG have a monopoly on letting people have the ability to play Magic?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Telex posted:

The same language is basically on the Pre-Release deckbuilding sheets.

You cant pick up Wastes from a land station at the pre-release. You have to get them in your packs, they're seeded as common cards NOT basic land cards, and you have no guarantees to get any but I guess it's probably such that with the full art and the non-full art and 3 of each happening that you'll at least end up with 1 per pack.

The non full art wastes aren't going to be in packs I think, just in the precons.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

What? Neither of that is true. Wastes is a Basic Land with the text "T: Add C to your mana pool", that's it.

"T: Add R to your mana pool" is an inherent thing with the land subtype "Mountain", not the other way around.

So if I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play I can still tap a Wastes for colorless mana?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of LGSs...

Ahahahahaha. I looked up the updates from other stores and they're following suit too.

The best part is that I know of several grinders at different stores who love parroting the company line and wanting strict almost-competitive level REL for FNM. They enjoy proxying decks they don't have for legacy and for the modern gauntlet during modern GP/IQ season. I assume they'll just be hypocritical here but if they follow through and take their serious business gaming practice to their apartments only so we don't have to experience it, this will only be good for the LGS atmosphere.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

So if I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play I can still tap a Wastes for colorless mana?

Yes, the same way you could tap a mountain for red still.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Yeah, the article says the land just has oracle text that isn't written on the card. This also means that other basics that somehow lose their subtype can't tap for C.
E: There was some discussion that tapping for C could become inherent to basic lands with no subtype, so it's not a silly a question like it might sound.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, the same way you could tap a mountain for red still.

I know that. I'm just saying it would be different if Wastes worked the same way other basics do, where they don't actually have rules text other than what's inherent from their subtype.

It probably makes the most sense for them to do it this way, but it's good to clarify.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Your problem lies in that you are asking too many questions. I'm being serious. Hear me out.
Essentially, they're saying that - though their official policy is strict on proxies and counterfeits - they REALLY don't care about them actually being used given that they're not Chinese Counterfeits. Like they really don't care, at all.
The original post was made to ONE gaming store that was a private communication. By blowing it up, they now have to reiterate their official policy and refuse you the plausible deniability that we are so often given. Now, instead of ignoring it/giving a "warning" when some douchebag who gets DQ'd reports a store for allowing proxies, they have to follow-through on their promise because we made this private email (which acts as a first warning to that specific LGS), very public (now a first warning to every LGS).
Essentially, when you ask about a policy, they are going to quote you the official policy (the one that protects them legally). NOT the plausible deniability that they give us between the lines.
By blowing this up, we're FORCING them to enforce certain policies that they don't really care to enforce because not doing so would hurt their ability to enforce it when it really matters (in the courts vs. Chinese counterfeiters for example).
tl;dr: In public, when you ask them, they have to quote official policy, but they're winking at you when doing so. If you don't get it, What Trick is saying is the official policy. What Helene is saying is the "Wink" (she's winking really hard). STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Was this ever a question?

Technically if Wizards decided to stop printing basic lands in the first set of a block, they'd rotate out too unless they made an update to the rules.

To the earlier poster asking if Modern Masters cards counted as cards - yes, of course they do. Reprints like that are important for driving down the prices of cards that have been driven up by speculators, dealers, and demand over time.

The problem is that Wizards tied their hands behind their back from ever being able to do that for Legacy and Vintage. I agree completely that it's damaging to do what they're doing to proxy tournaments for Legacy and Vintage because they are not reasonably costed formats and they have no reasonable way of driving the price down. Unless you want to play those formats exclusively on Magic Online, that is.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.
This was literally quoted on the previous page.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

odiv posted:

This was literally quoted on the previous page.

I blame switching from mobile to desktop.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

OK, so what about the world champ decks? They come with 15 "blank" cards with a full back and front frame so can I write "black lotus" on one of those and sit in the back of the LGS and play vintage provided my radio is at a reasonable volume? What if it's unsanctioned and I make a protective circle of salt around the table?

Does wizards loving forget who their players are? You can't release a vague lawyery statement to grognards.

Side quest: what's your favorite "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" card? I heart mana tithe but I find wrecking Twin with a batwing brume more satisfying, esp on modo where they had to play it out just to lose.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PleasantDirge posted:

OK, so what about the world champ decks? They come with 15 "blank" cards with a full back and front frame so can I write "black lotus" on one of those and sit in the back of the LGS and play vintage provided my radio is at a reasonable volume? What if it's unsanctioned and I make a protective circle of salt around the table?

Does wizards loving forget who their players are? You can't release a vague lawyery statement to grognards.

Side quest: what's your favorite "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" card? I heart mana tithe but I find wrecking Twin with a batwing brume more satisfying, esp on modo where they had to play it out just to lose.

Brimaz, specifically in game 2-3 playing Mardu Planeswalkers with absolutely no creatures maindeck.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The next Chuck Palahnuik book will be Fight Club for unsanctioned proxy MTG tournaments.

I am Jack's Raging River.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PleasantDirge posted:

Infernal Contract.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Something tells me that if you sit around your LGS playtesting with proxies, WotC isn't gonna come kick the door in and strip away all their privileges. The dude who said "just stop pressing the issue" is pretty right on.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think we've had way too many Wizard Scandals recently.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

I think we've had way too many Wizard Scandals recently.

Pretty sure it's because we have nothing else going on with our lives.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm a big fan of the argument that stores are supposed to see "don't use or allow 'counterfeits' or some weird nerd with a grudge might report you and lose you a lot of your income" and mentally insert a wink.

Even though I'm sure there is one, I'm not the one making money off of that. It's a pretty gross lose-lose

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

stinkles1112 posted:

Something tells me that if you sit around your LGS playtesting with proxies, WotC isn't gonna come kick the door in and strip away all their privileges. The dude who said "just stop pressing the issue" is pretty right on.

I just want to not have to hear them being obnoxious when they can take that poo poo home so I can play a lovely game of X wing and make pew pew laser noises. :3:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Zoness posted:

They're like snow basics - you have to draft them into your deck, they rotate with the format, and you can play however many you want in a deck.

But are they legal in Momir Basic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

suicidesteve posted:

Infernal Contract.

That is pretty sweet, where are you sneaking that in, storm?

• Locked thread