Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Luann's desire to tease us with sex (and by sex I mean "vaguely sexy things like holding two canteloupes while thinking of your girlfriend") while also prudishly avoiding any actual sexuality is a known quantity, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Well this was a weird one so I tried to look it up. It appears to be referencing a Mary Worth storyline from 1958 and probably into 1959 (which I think is the date on the comic here), but I can't get to see any old newspaper pages to find out what the story is all about. The strike itself appears to have been called by the Newspaper and Mail Delivery Union in December '58 for more pay, and went on quite a while--like one of the longest running of its kind in history up to then. It was a big deal in NYC at the time. Haven't found much more detail about it so far. I don't even know quite how long it lasted. Kind of neat though.

Edit: Looks like it lasted 19 days. A couple years later, there was another in 1962-63 that lasted 114 days!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

(yeah, Buni has a wheelchair dog.)

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I wanted to ask this yesterday (I think then it was more relevant)- does lawyer guy ever get clients that aren't obviously crooks/guilty?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The Rise And Fall Of Steven Dallas

Skippy (November 14, 1928)

Peanuts (January 15, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

"Somebody loves you enough to buy your overpriced popcorn! What the hell's up with that? We all die alone anyway!"

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 1-2, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 1, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, for once it's not Out Our Way bringing the horrifyingly casual racism.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set likes to keep its options open.

Working Daze is behind the times as always.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is produced by SyFy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please enjoy Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

We are learning a lot of background details in this arc. Good worldbuilding.

Ballard Street

Later on the dog caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and decided that it looked pretty cool.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Kleguelo finally sees his chance and takes it. He silently thanks his power tie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Stupid forums. I blame the cloud for this double post.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is reminding me of a chain I used to work for had a policy where district managers had to write up X people per month, because statistically people had to be doing things wrong somewhere and if the managers weren't catching said mistakes then clearly they weren't doing their jobs.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 20, 1950)

Barnaby (May 27, 1942)

Nancy (February 3, 1943)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has a close call.

And then they get sued by Konami.

"Call us again when it's a black one" :cop:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Pluggers

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

My mom has been enjoying the same seasons of various Law & Orders and CSIs for more than a decade.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Amazon's Minority Report

Mary Worth

Mary arrived at Olive's front door on the 16th of November, nearly two full months ago. Since then, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. No conflict, no problems. Nothing. Why hasn't she just gone home yet? How loving long are these people going to let her stay at their apartment? I assume they will do something about this homeless guy but I wish they'd just get to it.

Rex Morgan MD

And then there's this loving poo poo. God drat I'm mad about comics! :argh:

Secret Agent X-9

We were talking about voices a while back, and I just realized that I always hear X-9 as the voice of that guy from This Island Earth, or maybe the impersonation of him from MST3K the movie.

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

Amazon's Minority Report
They're working on this, actually. Like, it's not even a joke. They were issued a patent for it two years ago.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

And then there's this loving poo poo. God drat I'm mad about comics! :argh:

"All the other children are social inept simpletons. They are below me in every way. Please just advance me all the way into grad school."

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can tell the guy who does Intelligent Life worked at Garfield because man is he trying hard to create the Garfield:Lasagna::That one chick:Netflix analogy.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Somehow Rex's demon midget spawn is even more horrifying than usual in that last panel :stare:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Well, I guess I'm going to hell for laughing at that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The Comics Curmudgeon posted:

At one point in Alan Moore’s Watchman comics series, the psychopathic vigilante Rorschach is captured and arrested. Physically slight, he’s hassled on his first day in prison, but swiftly and brutally ends his first fight by grabbing a pan of hot grease from the cafeteria line and dousing his attacker’s face, leaving him screaming in agony. As the other prisoners look on in horror, he growls his most memorable line: “I’m not locked up in here with you. You’re locked up in here with me!” I just thought of that when reading this strip, probably for no particular reason.

x

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Well this was a weird one so I tried to look it up. It appears to be referencing a Mary Worth storyline from 1958 and probably into 1959

I felt obligated to look this up - the Sick, Sick Sick ran on December 31, 1958.

Here's the Mary Worth storyline, starting December 2, 1958. Sorry for the image dump, and forgive the quality, some were vertical, some horizontal, and I did my best. Also, some dates are missing. Mary did her meddling duty, but that strike in NYC must have sucked.

Mary Worth (December 2, 1958 to December 28, 1958)

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Now on to our regularly scheduled programming:

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Eisenhower was President.

Wee Pals

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Why does Gilchrist have such a hard-on for this lovely self-help book?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Eisenhower was President.

The references are to Jean Shepherd (or, as modern audiences might know him, "the guy who wrote A Christmas Story") and Nat Hentoff, both of whom were longtime Village Voice contributors.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This has been bothering me since this storyline started. How is this article going to work? Mark's going to talk about these healthy bats and then awkwardly segue into "but if they happened to have white-nose syndrome, that would be bad." Don't you want to go visit a sick colony and observe the effects for your article? Why are you looking at healthy bats as research for your article about bat diseases?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Why does Gilchrist have such a hard-on for this lovely self-help book?

Probably because the book it's parodying (sorta, I guess?) of was published in 1937.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

loving :laffo::laffo:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Has the overwhelmingly negative reaction caused the Evanses to rethink the whole 9/11 wedding thing?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fair warning right how: it's just been announced that Alan Rickman has passed away (also at 69, also of cancer, which he kept secret). So the nerd comics are probably already firing up the Galaxy Quest/Harry Potter based tribute strips.

Also first Lemmy, then Bowie, now Rickman, all this close together and almost the same way? What the poo poo is going on?!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What the gently caress. Was just talking to a buddy the other day and saying, if they really come in threes and loving David Bowie is only #2, I'm bracing myself so hard you have no idea.

Lotta folks posted Death quotes when Terry Pratchett died; turns out the appropriate one would have been the "think of it as beating the rush" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fair warning right how: it's just been announced that Alan Rickman has passed away (also at 69, also of cancer, which he kept secret). So the nerd comics are probably already firing up the Galaxy Quest/Harry Potter based tribute strips.

Also first Lemmy, then Bowie, now Rickman, all this close together and almost the same way? What the poo poo is going on?!

Cancer sucks, that's what.

• Locked thread