Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

Studies on guns are hilariously bad, on average. Among the ones with decent methodology they are pretty much mixed in their view on gun control. It's safe to say, statistically, that guns have a very small effect on safety in either direction, if any.

So you're making a claim without any data what-so-ever, while also attacking the research of any number of scientist based upon other claims you make with no evidence, right?

tsa posted:

The good standard studies on guns and suicide show very little to no correlation, once adjusting for lurking variables. People who actually want to commit suicide substitute for other methods that are equally effective.

The problem with studies on this topic is that they often use naive methods that assume each person who attempted suicide had an equal desire to kill themselves but we know that's not the case at all, many "attempted suicides" are cries for help and purposefully use methods that are very unlikely to work. Once you adjust for that the gun effect disappears. This is really the problem with public consumption of studies in the first place- laypeople don't have the training to tell if the study is actually any good or not or what the potential issues are. So the end effect is, as we see, people discard good studies that don't agree with their worldview and blindly accept any study that agrees.

Do you have any evidence for your claims about "lurking variables" or are you going to just keep using nothing but your own word to hand wave all science on guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're making a claim without any data what-so-ever, while also attacking the research of any number of scientist based upon other claims you make with no evidence, right?

Do you have any evidence for your claims about "lurking variables" or are you going to just keep using nothing but your own word to hand wave all science on guns?

Tsa is good at that. See: His posts in the I/P thread, in the Bundy thread, etc.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

Whoever said gun owners should be shot, I agree. We can even take a page from The Donald's playbook and shoot their families too

It's a shame that you're so terrified of guns that the best you can do is fantasize about the armed leftist insurrection and killing gunhavers. It's a riot how you and your fellow betas always need someone else to carry out your violent plans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

It's a riot how you and your fellow betas always need someone else to carry out your violent plans.

Obviously Pauline Kael is an alpha dog that leads the pack

Or a fish. Dunno which.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
A lot of authoritarian anti-intellectuals in this thread here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

A lot of authoritarian anti-intellectuals in this thread here.

The number of times the word 'Gun' appears in your rap sheet.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I don't know how to respond to this foam-at-the-mouth stuff. But let me finish my hot pocket first.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2016

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously Pauline Kael is an alpha dog that leads the pack

Or a fish. Dunno which.

Hot take, poster commiegir. I'm sure you're part of the vanguard that's ready to carry out the violent plans of less able souls like icantfindname against the normals and their cishet traditionalist view of rights. Right after you finish that hot pocket and your dad lets you use his car, for sure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pauline Kael posted:

It's a shame that you're so terrified of guns that the best you can do is fantasize about the armed leftist insurrection and killing gunhavers. It's a riot how you and your fellow betas always need someone else to carry out your violent plans.

tell me more about your philosophy of betas, if you refuse to tell us about what particular thoughts the liberal thoughtpolice have been putting you in the public stocks and flogging you for

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

The number of times the word 'Gun' appears in your rap sheet.

Yeah you sure showed him, I doubt the second amendment can survive long against your moral and urgent onslaught.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

Yeah you sure showed him, I doubt the second amendment can survive long against your moral and urgent onslaught.

Not if my dad doesn't let me borrow the car.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

evilweasel posted:

tell me more about your philosophy of betas, if you refuse to tell us about what particular thoughts the liberal thoughtpolice have been putting you in the public stocks and flogging you for

You're not a mod anymore, jackass. Keep up the good work though, I'm sure there some pedophile that needs some pro bono legal help.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pauline Kael posted:

You're not a mod anymore, jackass. Keep up the good work though, I'm sure there some pedophile that needs some pro bono legal help.

"i'm so sick of you demonizing your opponents, its just what i expect from a pedo-loving liberal human being"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

A thorough and well thought out argument. We are beaten.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Not if my dad doesn't let me borrow the car.

Yeah too bad, icantfindname is getting shoved into a locker again and certainly can't start his gunhaver execution scheme from there with his underwear up over the point on his head. Maybe when you guys meet up at party headquarters you can go over how the plan went wrong but just be quick about it before the quarters run out or someone knocks on the booth door.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

Yeah too bad, icantfindname is getting shoved into a locker again and certainly can't start his gunhaver execution scheme from there with his underwear up over the point on his head. Maybe when you guys meet up at party headquarters you can go over how the plan went wrong but just be quick about it before the quarters run out or someone knocks on the booth door.

You think about this way too much.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

You think about this way too much.

Not just this. On that note, fellow goons, I shall take my leave for this evening. Goddess bless,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

evilweasel posted:

if i dont have a gun in my house when an intruder comes how will i

protect them without a gun

Cases like this are pretty poo poo. It's scary to have your house broken into. You wake up in the middle of the night, not suspecting, but knowing that someone is there. Your adrenaline glands go nuts and that primitive reptilian part of your brain screams gibberish.

A lot of those accidents wouldn't happen if the people involved practiced basic gun rules. Finger off the trigger, gun pointed down until you're ready to shoot. If you're going to own one for self-defense, you should have some basic knowledge about how to use it.

Then again, I never understood why people would go looking for the person in their house. Stay in your room or your hallway or whatever and wait it out if you're that drat scared. You're better off in a defensive position anyways.

icantfindaname posted:

Whoever said gun owners should be shot, I agree. We can even take a page from The Donald's playbook and shoot their families too

what if it's like werewolves

what if they all turn into guns :ohdear:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Logically speaking, if the majority of people are unable to practice basic gun safety enough to avoid shooting their children thinking they're burglars, that would seem to suggest that we shouldn't encourage people to own guns for home defense. This, of course, is why we have phantom self-defense uses, to keep this unpleasant conclusion from interfering with our right to repeatedly polish our collection.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Logically speaking, if the majority of people are unable to practice basic gun safety enough to avoid shooting their children thinking they're burglars, that would seem to suggest that we shouldn't encourage people to own guns for home defense. This, of course, is why we have phantom self-defense uses, to keep this unpleasant conclusion from interfering with our right to repeatedly polish our collection.

Pretty big if you have there, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LeJackal posted:

if only there was a study about if your gun was far more likely to shoot a family member rather than an intruder that could resolve that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeJackal posted:

It's too bad y'all implemented some gosh-darn chilling effects against the CDC and thought it justified, ain't it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

It seems evident that the majority can.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

It seems evident that the majority can.

The majority of people, the majority of gun owners, the majority of people who bought a gun explicitly for home defense? These are all going to produce different results, no? And maybe the solution is just good ol' fashioned censoring of advertising and scaremongering.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
They should do a better job of prosecuting people for bad shoots. A number of cases from Texas and Florida come to mind. I'm fine with owning and using a gun for self-defense, but if you make the wrong call, you should be held accountable.

Seems like some people seek needless confrontation and use the law to excuse the results. :shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It would be interesting to have the CDC and such do some studies. They should be allowed to do their research. The whole point of it is to get more information. If you believe what you advocate is the truth, you should welcome it.

They are allowed to do said research. Always have been.

They were disallowed from using said research to push gun control policy.

The only threat now is that the idiots in the House will try to defund them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They should do a better job of prosecuting people for bad shoots. A number of cases from Texas and Florida come to mind. I'm fine with owning and using a gun for self-defense, but if you make the wrong call, you should be held accountable.

Seems like some people seek needless confrontation and use the law to excuse the results. :shrug:

At the same time, the last thing anyone needs is more armchair quarterbacking when they acted within the law. I mean, the government argues against that for police all the time in identical situations, and they are as a class involved in vastly more bad shoots a year than CCW holders as a whole.

Effectronica posted:

The majority of people, the majority of gun owners, the majority of people who bought a gun explicitly for home defense? These are all going to produce different results, no? And maybe the solution is just good ol' fashioned censoring of advertising and scaremongering.

Given the number of guns in circulation versus the number of accidentally killed children, I'd say none of these results are going to be statistically significant. But sure, you just keep building that strawman.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 13, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Shooting someone mistakenly isn't a crime, even if you're swirling your gun around your finger and it kills someone.

It is "gun control" to try and change this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually it is a crime in just about any jurisdiction you'd care to name.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

At the same time, the last thing anyone needs is more armchair quarterbacking when they acted within the law. I mean, the government argues against that for police all the time in identical situations, and they are as a class involved in vastly more bad shoots a year than CCW holders as a whole.

The police should also be raked over the coals for bad shoots. I can think of a number of them in the past year or so that should have resulted in trials, at the very least. For what it's worth, I agree with castle doctrine, disagree with stand your ground, and disagree with a duty to retreat.

If you seek out confrontation and escalate a situation to the point where lethal force becomes necessary, or if you use it mistakenly, I'm A-OK with the long arm of the law reaching way up your rear end in a top hat, regardless of your profession.

-Troika- posted:

Pretty sure he's kidding.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

The majority of people, the majority of gun owners, the majority of people who bought a gun explicitly for home defense? These are all going to produce different results, no?

In every case they are a vast majority, and manage not to shoot their own kids.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

-Troika- posted:

It is amazing how little you know about the topic you seem to care so much about.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Pretty sure he's kidding.

Sadly I am not.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-is-an-accidental-shooting-really-a-crime/

quote:

Last month, Florida prosecutors decided not to press charges against a man who fatally shot his pregnant friend while showing off one of his guns.

William DeHayes told police that his .22 caliber handgun went off after he spun it around his finger. The bullet struck Katherine Hoover in the head, killing her. Her unborn son died soon after.
"An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally," King wrote. "Just as it is my duty to prosecute those who violate the law, it is equally my duty to refrain from prosecuting those whose conduct, no matter how outrageous, does not constitute a crime. This is such a case."

According to Florida Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, in order to rise to the level of a crime in Florida, an unintentional shooting must meet the standard of "culpable negligence." In his decline-to-charge memo, Magrino describes culpable negligence as "showing reckless disregard for human life."

Had DeHayes pulled the trigger of his gun intentionally, for example, thinking the firearm was unloaded, and it went off, or had he been drunk or under the influence of drugs when the shooting occurred, that would have been a crime. But, as Magrino's colleague Chief Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told 48 Hours' Crimesider, "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
To be fair, it isn't like Florida is a real state. It's just a meth-fueled Thunderdome where the rule of law randomly, briefly asserts itself like the last flickers of a madman's sanity.

Also, there is no loving way that guy didn't shoot his friend on purpose.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The police should also be raked over the coals for bad shoots. I can think of a number of them in the past year or so that should have resulted in trials, at the very least. For what it's worth, I agree with castle doctrine, disagree with stand your ground, and disagree with a duty to retreat.

If you seek out confrontation and escalate a situation to the point where lethal force becomes necessary, or if you use it mistakenly, I'm A-OK with the long arm of the law reaching way up your rear end in a top hat, regardless of your profession.

I think we're on pretty much the same page as far as what we see as reasonable. I just worry about making people criminals after the fact because someone sitting calmly in a chair at the office thinks they could have 'shot to wound' or some other bullshit based on a perception of firearms entirely from action movies and police procedural drama shows.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

tsa posted:

The good standard studies on guns and suicide show very little to no correlation, once adjusting for lurking variables. People who actually want to commit suicide substitute for other methods that are equally effective.

This is hilariously wrong.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5307a1.htm

Yes, suicide by gunshot is by far the most effective means, and it's not even close.

Also, that was the latest study I could find... can't imagine why the gently caress that would be though.

quote:

The problem with studies on this topic is that they often use naive methods that assume each person who attempted suicide had an equal desire to kill themselves but we know that's not the case at all, many "attempted suicides" are cries for help and purposefully use methods that are very unlikely to work. Once you adjust for that the gun effect disappears. This is really the problem with public consumption of studies in the first place- laypeople don't have the training to tell if the study is actually any good or not or what the potential issues are. So the end effect is, as we see, people discard good studies that don't agree with their worldview and blindly accept any study that agrees.

Of course most suicide attempts are cries for help, only if you try it with a gun you have an 85% of never getting that help because you're loving dead. Asphyxiation on the other hand is not only tried half as much as guns, but it's also the only method besides guns that has a success rate above 50%.

So really, restricting gun ownership is actually a net good from a mental health position... you know that same position that gets trotted out by gun nuts. Excuse me, firearm enthusiasts (since they're pedantic babies) after every mass shooting only to quickly forget about it once the shootings 15 minutes in the news is over since prayers, wringing hands and over mental health (and political contributions from the NRA) seem to be the only response they're capable of giving.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

evilweasel posted:

if only there was a study about if your gun was far more likely to shoot a family member rather than an intruder that could resolve that
So what. It's a right. Trading rights for security is not a good thing to do.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Liberals banning guns out of fear of a mass shooting is somewhat analogous to conservatives banning Syrian refugees out of fear of a terrorist attack.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my right to pursue happiness involves shooting you in the head, sorry nothing you can do, its a right

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Liberals banning guns out of fear of a mass shooting is somewhat analogous to conservatives banning Syrian refugees out of fear of a terrorist attack.

i was unaware liberal candidates for president had called for the banning of guns

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

NathanScottPhillips posted:

We should not trade our right to smoke a pack a day for security against lung cancer. We should not trade our right to eat whatever we want for security against mercury contamination. We should not trade our right to wear whatever we want for security against head injuries.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Says who, exactly? Rights and security are both good things, and part of politics is to find a suitable balance between the two. That involves trading one for the other.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Cool, I'm gonna go yell fire in a crowded theater because my rights obviously trumps public safety. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i mean if you want to retreat into "well there is never any reason for people to have guns but we can no more restrict the rights of people to stockpile their own private armories than we can their right to burn crosses on their own lawns" then we can go there but i think you're going to lose a lot of your compatriots with that argument

• Locked thread