Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Random crashing, beach balling on file copying, terrible LAN share behavior.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Path Finder seems to be most people's go-to these days; since System Integrity Protection was introduced in El Capitan, a lot of the popular ones from yesteryear (like TotalFinder) no longer work, but Path Finder basically just sits on top of Finder instead of modifying it directly.

Will give this a shot, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

computer parts posted:

My dad has it, it's good enough for him to use regularly but it's apparently still missing some features. It depends what you're trying to do with it.

e: there's a feature comparison here:

http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

including a list of features not currently in that you can vote on and they'll prioritize development time towards.

Thanks! I think the only one I use is loan amortization for our mortgage, and that's not exactly critical. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

G5ANDY posted:

Random crashing, beach balling on file copying, terrible LAN share behavior.

Will give this a shot, thanks!

I have never had any of these things happen. Also, that program runs on top of finder, so you would have the same copying / sharing / etc behavior as before, just with a layer over the UI.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have never had any of these things happen.

Must mean they're hallucinating then

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I don't think that's what he meant, he probably meant it as something else is wrong rather than Finder being poo poo. Just getting a Finder replacement may not help him much.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Use cases vary ofc., I'm working with fresh installs on new machines. The network(s) are awesome and I'm not having issues crop up on my windows 10 box so I'm assuming it's OSX related.

smax posted:

I don't think that's what he meant, he probably meant it as something else is wrong rather than Finder being poo poo. Just getting a Finder replacement may not help him much.

Entirely possible, though I guess I'll find out if I'm just putting lipstick on a pig with PathFinder.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

blk96gt posted:

Thanks! Is there any reason I wouldn't want to install El Capitan on a 2011 MBP? From what I can tell it will run fine.

Anyone have it on a 2009 MBP? I don't know if I need to re-install it or if it's just slow.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

flosofl posted:

Did you try the "full screen" button on the window title bar? Works good for me.

I gave this a shot, and unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it's still cluttered. Here's the Mac version:

And here's the Windows version with Parallels:

The Windows version has a View option called "Full Page View" and "Dock to Desktop" that give that nice simple pane.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bvoid posted:

I gave this a shot, and unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it's still cluttered. Here's the Mac version:

And here's the Windows version with Parallels:

The Windows version has a View option called "Full Page View" and "Dock to Desktop" that give that nice simple pane.

Ah, I see what you're looking for now. Sorry, I don't know if that's an option with the OS X Version.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
What do we like for emulating middle clicks with the magic trackpad?

I never liked Better Touch Tool, it's way too complicated; all I need is middle click. And apparently it's no longer free.

CeciPipePasPipe
Aug 18, 2004
This pipe not pipe!!

Rexim posted:

What do we like for emulating middle clicks with the magic trackpad?

I never liked Better Touch Tool, it's way too complicated; all I need is middle click. And apparently it's no longer free.

I use http://magicprefs.com/ and bound it to "4 finger click". (and right button bound to "3 finger click").

It's got another killer feature too, which is the ability to define the magic mouse's active scroll area, which is useful to avoid accidental scrolls near the "left button" click area. On 10.11, I had to manually add the app to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility to fix a few issues (magnifying cursor on wiggles, authentication prompts in Keychain Access, etc).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there like a Sketch Lite? I'm not a designer but I'd like to start throw together mockups for some personal sites before building them proper.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is there a free program out there that will simply disable the "momentum scrolling" when using an external mouse? Basically the scroll wheel starts off slow and gets drastically faster when scrolling for a second. It's really annoying with a physical mouse wheel.

I've seen some programs that fix it, but they cost a good amount of money with extra features that I don't need.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So, I decided it was about time to upgrade Textual (IRC client) to the paid version and instantly regret doing so. (On Mavericks, btw)

The program now randomly quits my various channels, won't keep my settings saved and is being rather annoying overall. Any suggestions, free or paid, would be great as I use IRC daily.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anything wrong with Irssi? Been using it since the early 2000s and I haven't really found a need to switch.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Seiyal posted:

So, I decided it was about time to upgrade Textual (IRC client) to the paid version and instantly regret doing so. (On Mavericks, btw)

The program now randomly quits my various channels, won't keep my settings saved and is being rather annoying overall. Any suggestions, free or paid, would be great as I use IRC daily.

Huh, that is weird. I have had Textual for over a year now and I have not had any of those problems on Mavericks or El Cap.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Same, Textual has been fine for me. You might have a deeper seated issue happening on your machine.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Djarum posted:

Huh, that is weird. I have had Textual for over a year now and I have not had any of those problems on Mavericks or El Cap.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Same, Textual has been fine for me. You might have a deeper seated issue happening on your machine.

Yeah, I'm going to try another clean install and see if that'll fix anything but it's just been very odd. I used the trial for ages without issue and really only in the last week or so was I noticing disconnects or channels not working. But yeah, let me check this and see if that fixes anything. (I've reinstalled once before but can't hurt to try again.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CeciPipePasPipe posted:

magnifying cursor on wiggles

I didnt know this was a thing, was really high, and fidgeting with the mouse and I thought I was tripping balls. it was pretty hilarious.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The guy/guys behind Textual are also pretty good about bug reports and patches, shooting them an e-mail might not be a bad idea either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to change the Mail.app preferences to have the badge icon represent the number of read AND unread emails in the inbox?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Since upgrading my work 15" MB Pro Retina to OSX 10.11, the Logitech Control Centre (LCC) daemon keeps crashing daily on it. This causes the mouse to stop responding, and requires me to power cycle the Mac with the power button, as if you try to reboot the MacBook it just sits at the grey shutdown screen.

I have the latest version of LCC on the Mac (3.9.3).

I have uninstalled LCC from my Mac and been through the /Library folder removing any instance of Logitech out of it and still have this issue when I do a fresh install of LCC.

Anyone else having issues with LCC?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
After the Windows 10 update a couple of days ago, I’m unable to use the Startup Disk panel in System Preferences to select my Boot Camp partition anymore. This is the error I get when I select the Windows partition and click “Restart…”

I can still boot into Windows by holding “option” on startup, and I have no problems booting back into Mac OS X via Windows. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the Startup Disk pane usable again?

e: timg

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 15, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

The Milkman posted:

Is there like a Sketch Lite? I'm not a designer but I'd like to start throw together mockups for some personal sites before building them proper.

Moqups lets you mess around in a few projects for free and it's pretty good. We use Sketch at work when we need to make really nice things but Moqups works for just about everything else.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm on El Capitan and having a few issues.
1. Safari lists no extensions and refuses to install any, even though CleanMyMac lists them all and says they're disabled. Telling it to enable them does nothing. I am also unable to install extensions as attempting to do so leads to it looking like it installed, but then nothing being listed.
2. googleadservices popup galore
3. Sophos Anti-Virus Home can't install. It goes into the installation process, almost finishes and then tells me it has failed.

I've run Malwarebytes scanner and it finds nothing. I'm going a little crazy.

edit : The googleadservices popup are across Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I even wiped my whole Safari profile and it comes up still.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 14, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You could try MacScan 3..

http://www.securemac.com/download

Latest version of MacScan that was released this month.

Otherwise there's definitely something in your plugins or Safari extensions folder mucking up things.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh just remembered what I was originally coming to post about..

So, once again Apple appears to have updated Migration Assistant in El Capitan. Here's my notes on it so far:

- Has the same source choices (From another Mac, Time Machine, or PC)

- After finalizing your choices it actually proceeds to count the number of folders it has to process and displays the number on screen

- Then it throws away this number, never to mention it again, and displays the usual thermometer along with throughput (19-25 MB/s with a FW 800 cable between an old 2010 iMac and a 2015 Retina) and the usual ever-changing estimate of time to completion. The throughput at least is a nice touch.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Is anybody aware of any issues with Apple Remote Desktop and El Capitan? So far I've had 3 computers that I've set up all refuse to let ARD connect to them (Authentication failed) despite being 100% sure that they have the right credentials.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You Am I posted:

Since upgrading my work 15" MB Pro Retina to OSX 10.11, the Logitech Control Centre (LCC) daemon keeps crashing daily on it. This causes the mouse to stop responding, and requires me to power cycle the Mac with the power button, as if you try to reboot the MacBook it just sits at the grey shutdown screen.

I have the latest version of LCC on the Mac (3.9.3).

I have uninstalled LCC from my Mac and been through the /Library folder removing any instance of Logitech out of it and still have this issue when I do a fresh install of LCC.

Anyone else having issues with LCC?
I've had this exact same issue since El Cap and it's a huge drag. Mouse would just die on me out of the blue and nothing would help except a reboot but the Mac would hang and I'd have to force shut down every time. A couple of days ago I ran the LCC Uninstaller app and got the latest version and installed that and while so far nothing has happened I'm prepared for it to go to poo poo again very soon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Stare-Out posted:

I've had this exact same issue since El Cap and it's a huge drag. Mouse would just die on me out of the blue and nothing would help except a reboot but the Mac would hang and I'd have to force shut down every time. A couple of days ago I ran the LCC Uninstaller app and got the latest version and installed that and while so far nothing has happened I'm prepared for it to go to poo poo again very soon.

Yeah, it is crapped itself again. There's no answers on both the Logitech forums or the Apple Discussion forums. I thought there would be more people effected by this

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

McDeth posted:

Is anybody aware of any issues with Apple Remote Desktop and El Capitan? So far I've had 3 computers that I've set up all refuse to let ARD connect to them (Authentication failed) despite being 100% sure that they have the right credentials.

Make sure they have the latest client, maybe? The latest is v.3.8.5 and I've got it running on two El Capitan clients with no probs. Also make sure the account you are trying to sign in with has admin rights.

Also make sure you're running ARD v.3.8.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You Am I posted:

Yeah, it is crapped itself again. There's no answers on both the Logitech forums or the Apple Discussion forums. I thought there would be more people effected by this

I am running 3.9.0 and its only not responsive after a system update. All i have to do is unplug then reconnect the USB receiver.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
edit: nevermind im dumb as hell

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 15, 2016

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
What application would you recommend for some light floor plans?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

G5ANDY posted:

The free version of DraftSight would probably be your best option.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

G5ANDY posted:

Sketchup is pretty good, despite being made more for 3D stuff. http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SketchUp is good but you really need to watch some YouTube videos to learn it, and use the keyboard shortcuts or it is painfully slow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

G5ANDY posted:

I find it easiest just to use Google Sheets and set the cell width so you have squares. Each box is a sq ft or 1/4 sq ft or whatever you need. Then you just create borders and fills for objects and rooms. I think you can even fill cells with a / or \ to represent a door.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Stare-Out posted:

The guy/guys behind Textual are also pretty good about bug reports and patches, shooting them an e-mail might not be a bad idea either.

I may need to look into that. The reinstall went fine but one of my channels refuses to keep its settings and I have to re-add it every time I join the server (or re-open the program)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is it in the auto-join list in the server preferences? I haven't used Textual in a while but I never had these problems. I don't remember ever having a problem with it, and I'm a heavy IRC user.